+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Songs Selected for Triple Live

Songs Selected for Triple Live

On the last Studio G Garth mentioned that there will be some house keeping songs on the album. Well, today on the Garth Channel I heard the live version of Whiskey to Wine. He did a very long intro into it talking about the challenge of how he thought his new music would be received coming out of retirement then it was just him and the guitar with Trisha with a big "Ms. Trisha Yearwood!" shout at the end like he did on Double Live for those who sang with him. It was really good!

In the USA, the best country in the world
    I love the live version of Whiskey to Wine (well, the one from the Ryman show) even better than the studio one
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I love the housekeeping version of Amarillo By Morning. So I hope that makes it.

So if its triple live, am I right in thinking there should be 30+ sonngs on it?? At least ten on each disk?

The Ryman version of Whiskey to Wine is incredible. I think it's by far better than the studio version. I really hope he adds it to Triple Live as is.

If there is housekeeping songs, we'll almost certainly get a Billy Joel cover of some sort. He's done quite a few of those over the years. That's my guess anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBarton View Post
    The Ryman version of Whiskey to Wine is incredible. I think it's by far better than the studio version. I really hope he adds it to Triple Live as is.

If there is housekeeping songs, we'll almost certainly get a Billy Joel cover of some sort. He's done quite a few of those over the years. That's my guess anyhow.
    I could imagine that they'd put on a billy joel cover- I'd love to hear him cover allentown- I've heard it SOMEWHERE (don't remember where off the top of my head) and I know he covered goodnight saigon, and you may be right.... (and of course shameless but hat's not a housekeeping type song to me...)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I've been thinking a lot about this. If we are really getting "Triple Live" (meaning a 3 disc audio set) then it seems reasonable we are getting a 36-38 song track list. Think about it, "Double Live" had a 25 song track list so an additional disc would probably have at least 12 songs on it. If that is the case what are these additional songs? Just to goof around I went back and looked at the setlists from the Nashville run just to see what all could potentially be on there.

For starters, the songs featured in the main set were primarily these: (Not all were played every night and I'm not adding the mini-Trisha set - assuming it will not be included)

1. Baby Let's Lay Down and Dance
    2. Rodeo
    3. Two of A Kind
    4. Beaches of Cheyenne
    5. The River
    6. Two Pina Coladas
    7. Papa Loved Mama
    8. Ain't Goin' Down
    9. Unanswered Prayers
    10. If Tomorrow Never Comes
    11. To Make You Feel My Love
    12. That Summer
    13. Ask Me How I Know
    14. The Thunder Rolls
    15. In Another's Eyes
    16. Shameless
    17. Callin' Baton Rouge
    18. Friends In Low Places
    19. The Dance
    20. Standing Outside The Fire (closed the show most nights on second half of the tour)

That is pretty much the main set. So if we assume he is putting every one of these songs on it we only have 20 tracks.

Other songs that were played pretty regularly at one point or another on the tour and could reasonably make the set would include: (I'm focusing primarily on full band songs here because those seem to be what would probably make the set.)

20. Man Against Machine
    21. People Loving People
    22. The Fever
    23. Walkaway Joe
    24. Whiskey To Wine
    25. Much Too Young
    26. Longneck Bottle
    27. More Than A Memory
    28. We Shall Be Free

Based on statements in concert or on Studio G it seems pretty certain these will be on there.

29. Fishin' In The Dark
    30. Tacoma
    31. All American Kid

Even if EVERY SONG LISTED ABOVE makes the set there are still probably 5 or more songs not on this list that would make the cut. As I look at the list above I have a hard time believing all of these songs will be on a live album. Don't get me wrong, if this is pretty close to what we get PLUS a few more songs I will be over the moon excited. However, the realistic part of me just feels like that entire list above, or something similar, just feels totally unrealistic.
    Last edited by rhd13; 08-07-2018 at 11:17 AM.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "Mom" makes the cut....He played it half acoustic and half full band during shows the first part of the tour.

He also mentioned on Studio G that alot of the "magic" moments happened during house cleaning...so maybe , just maybe.....we'll get Turn the Page , Night Moves, Amarillo By Morning.....Ten Feet Away? Maybe we can get "Guy Goin Nowhere?"

No matter, what makes the cut, I bet this triple live album is going to be EPIC!!!

I asked Garth for All American Kid to make the album on Studio G, so really hoping that one makes it!
    In the land, of the midnight sun!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "Mom" makes the cut....He played it half acoustic and half full band during shows the first part of the tour.

He also mentioned on Studio G that alot of the "magic" moments happened during house cleaning...so maybe , just maybe.....we'll get Turn the Page , Night Moves, Amarillo By Morning.....Ten Feet Away? Maybe we can get "Guy Goin Nowhere?"

No matter, what makes the cut, I bet this triple live album is going to be EPIC!!!

I asked Garth for All American Kid to make the album on Studio G, so really hoping that one makes it!
    Got a gut feeling you may be right on “Mom”. If we get some house cleaning it will be awesome!

If it is 3 discs with 36-40 songs I’m not sure how it will be anything other than amazing!

Well, I just heard an different live version of Whiskey to Wine on the Garth Channel this morning. A lot shorter verison.

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Well, I just heard an different live version of Whiskey to Wine on the Garth Channel this morning. A lot shorter verison.
    Hmmm....Well that’s interesting.

Did he ever do live versions of Cold Like That, You Wreck Me or Midnight Train?

Quote Originally Posted by CER956 View Post
    Did he ever do live versions of Cold Like That, You Wreck Me or Midnight Train?
    He definitely did “Cold Like That” at CRS show in Nashville a couple of years ago. Not aware of the other two ever being played live.

I do remember him talking on Studio G about the crowd responding to Cold Like That at his concerts.

I'd be ok with that, it's my favorite off MAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    I'd love to hear him cover allentown- I've heard it SOMEWHERE (don't remember where off the top of my head) and I know he covered goodnight saigon, and you may be right.... (and of course shameless but hat's not a housekeeping type song to me...)
    Allentown and Goodnight Saigon were done at Kennedy Center Honors for Billy Joel in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by gbfevernorway View Post
    Allentown and Goodnight Saigon were done at Kennedy Center Honors for Billy Joel in 2013.
    He also did Shout at the Obama inauguration, if I remember correctly, so presumably he could include that as well.

that's where I heard it! The Kennedy Center Honors

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

He has also done that multippel times on this tour.

A song that he and Trisha did on the tour that I am pretty sure will not be included is Purple Rain. The circumstances would be too special I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    He also did Shout at the Obama inauguration, if I remember correctly, so presumably he could include that as well.

Base on what he's been saying in Studio G, it sounds like it will just be songs from the tour he just finished.

If nothing else, I hope he puts that rare full band performance of Wild Horses on there.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    If nothing else, I hope he puts that rare full band performance of Wild Horses on there.
    That would be amazing!! WH is definitely one of my fav Garth tracks of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I doubt that will happen. However, he and Jimmy did play that at one of the shows I was at on the tour. So if they really recorded everything they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I've been thinking a lot about this. If we are really getting "Triple Live" (meaning a 3 disc audio set) then it seems reasonable we are getting a 36-38 song track list. Think about it, "Double Live" had a 25 song track list so an additional disc would probably have at least 12 songs on it. If that is the case what are these additional songs? Just to goof around I went back and looked at the setlists from the Nashville run just to see what all could potentially be on there.

For starters, the songs featured in the main set were primarily these: (Not all were played every night and I'm not adding the mini-Trisha set - assuming it will not be included)

2. Rodeo
    3. Two of A Kind
    4. Beaches of Cheyenne
    5. The River
    6. Two Pina Coladas
    7. Papa Loved Mama
    8. Ain't Goin' Down
    9. Unanswered Prayers
    10. If Tomorrow Never Comes
    11. To Make You Feel My Love
    12. That Summer
    13. Ask Me How I Know
    14. The Thunder Rolls
    15. In Another's Eyes
    16. Shameless
    17. Callin' Baton Rouge
    18. Friends In Low Places
    19. The Dance
    20. Standing Outside The Fire (closed the show most nights on second half of the tour)

That is pretty much the main set. So if we assume he is putting every one of these songs on it we only have 20 tracks.

Other songs that were played pretty regularly at one point or another on the tour and could reasonably make the set would include: (I'm focusing primarily on full band songs here because those seem to be what would probably make the set.)

20. Man Against Machine
    21. People Loving People
    22. The Fever
    23. Walkaway Joe
    24. Whiskey To Wine
    25. Much Too Young
    26. Longneck Bottle
    27. More Than A Memory
    28. We Shall Be Free

Based on statements in concert or on Studio G it seems pretty certain these will be on there.

29. Fishin' In The Dark
    30. Tacoma
    31. All American Kid

Even if EVERY SONG LISTED ABOVE makes the set there are still probably 5 or more songs not on this list that would make the cut. As I look at the list above I have a hard time believing all of these songs will be on a live album. Don't get me wrong, if this is pretty close to what we get PLUS a few more songs I will be over the moon excited. However, the realistic part of me just feels like that entire list above, or something similar, just feels totally unrealistic.
    Well, less than 3 weeks ago I tried to take a stab at what would be on Triple Live. I guessed there would be 36-40 songs and discussed what I thought might be on there based on setlists. Although I assumed we would get the "fan mix" first I didn't really think it would be a shorter version of the album. Based on his statements there are NO DOUBTS more songs are coming. Who knows how many and what they are. However, I guessed 23 of the 26 songs that wound up on this first version. The 3 I did not mention in my list were:

1. "Mom" - I knew he played this a lot, but I just didn't think it would be there.
    2. "Guy Goin' Nowhere" - Made my guesses before he said this was on there.
    3. "The Fireman" - A real surprise here. Didn't know he actually did this one live on the tour.

I truly believe we are getting AT LEAST 36 songs on a triple album at retail and I think there could be as many as 40 or so. So what are those remaining 10-14 songs? 9 that I predicted would show up based on the setlists include:

2. If Tomorrow Never Comes
    3. To Make You Feel My Love
    4. Man Against Machine
    5. The Fever
    6. Walkaway Joe
    7. Much Too Young
    8. Longneck Bottle
    9. All American Kid

Basically repeating what I said above, if he adds these 9 to the 26 we already have that gives us 35 songs. If he actually adds all 9 I mentioned above (which I don't expect) and the album has 36-40 songs there are clearly a few more "surprises". That is really exciting.

This project is really turning out to meet my expectations. Based upon what we've got so far I think it is probably a more solid album than Double Live and we clearly aren't done. I think he may have hit it out of the part this time around.

2. If Tomorrow Never Comes
    3. To Make You Feel My Love
    4. Man Against Machine
    5. The Fever
    6. Walkaway Joe
    7. Much Too Young
    8. Longneck Bottle
    9. All American Kid

Basically repeating what I said above, if he adds these 9 to the 26 we already have that gives us 35 songs. If he actually adds all 9 I mentioned above (which I don't expect) and the album has 36-40 songs there are clearly a few more "surprises". That is really exciting.

This project is really turning out to meet my expectations. Based upon what we've got so far I think it is probably a more solid album than Double Live and we clearly aren't done. I think he may have hit it out of the part this time around.
    playing just a bit of the prediction game here.. Garth's definitely said there are more (in not so many words, more of an implication with their being more coming, the regular mix, etc. Not to mention, how can he leave off of a live album songs like ITNC and MTY?

I think.... If your songs are close to accurate, those that get 'left off' would be longneck bottle (how often was this played on tour) and walkaway Joe (Garth mostly did this one guitar wise while trisha sang didn't he? it's really a TY song not a GB song.. )

I think he mentioned All american kid being on there already (could be wrong), and it'd be stupid of him to not include BLLDAD... I'm on the fence with MAM... it SHOULD be there as relevant as it was to this last tour.. but will it be...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    playing just a bit of the prediction game here.. Garth's definitely said there are more (in not so many words, more of an implication with their being more coming, the regular mix, etc. Not to mention, how can he leave off of a live album songs like ITNC and MTY?

I think.... If your songs are close to accurate, those that get 'left off' would be longneck bottle (how often was this played on tour) and walkaway Joe (Garth mostly did this one guitar wise while trisha sang didn't he? it's really a TY song not a GB song.. )

I think he mentioned All american kid being on there already (could be wrong), and it'd be stupid of him to not include BLLDAD... I'm on the fence with MAM... it SHOULD be there as relevant as it was to this last tour.. but will it be...
    I always really enjoy your comments Skywise. I agree there is a real chance "Walkaway Joe" is left off because it is a Trisha song. I put it down as a possibility just because I know it was played a lot. I personally saw it several times. More than "Whiskey To Wine" for sure. However, "Whiskey" is his song and "Walkaway" is not.

I know for sure I personally saw "Longneck Bottle" 2 or 3 times on the tour. Sure, I saw the tour 14 times in the 3 1/2 years, but it was often enough I wasn't shocked when it was played. Definitely played more than "Guy Goin' Nowhere" or "The Fireman" HA! I never saw either of those on this tour.

I also wonder if "American Pie" could make the list. I saw that 2 or 3 times as well so it also popped up occasionally.

I could be wrong, but I just don't feel there is any way he releases a triple disc album with just over 30 minutes of music on each disc. (My iTunes says it is 1 hour, 43 minutes). That is why I think there will be something like 10-14 more tracks. He definitely said "All-American Kid" is making the album and then even said on Studio G if a song you are looking for is not here it is coming later.

If there are several more songs what is fascinating to me is there just about has to be a few more "surprises". Think about it, with the exception of a couple of songs the entire standard setlist is on this first release. (Believe me, I know because I did a setlist analysis of the 14 shows I saw. HA!) The basic set is pretty much the same every night with a few songs that get added in or dropped. Almost all of them are already released. So if we get several more songs there are going to be some interesting ones I think.

My guess is most (maybe not all) of the 9 I mentioned will be there with 4-5 songs that are kind of surprising and sort of unexpected.

I always really enjoy your comments Skywise.
    thanks!

I agree there is a real chance "Walkaway Joe" is left off because it is a Trisha song. I put it down as a possibility just because I know it was played a lot. I personally saw it several times. More than "Whiskey To Wine" for sure. However, "Whiskey" is his song and "Walkaway" is not.
    very true points. honestly, I actually do really like W2W, Im' not always in favor of Garth's duets with TY but this one's great.. Walkaway Joe- I do love the acoustic format for it, prob. my fav. TY song honestly

I know for sure I personally saw "Longneck Bottle" 2 or 3 times on the tour. Sure, I saw the tour 14 times in the 3 1/2 years, but it was often enough I wasn't shocked when it was played. Definitely played more than "Guy Goin' Nowhere" or "The Fireman" HA! I never saw either of those on this tour.
    I'd have to go back to my notes, I saw 3 shows of the 9 in Denver.. I'd have gone to more but $ didn't allow.. man, 14 times? Yikes that's a lot! (and awesome too!)

I also wonder if "American Pie" could make the list. I saw that 2 or 3 times as well so it also popped up occasionally.
    as an addition to the regular mix it wouldn't' surprise me a bit

I could be wrong, but I just don't feel there is any way he releases a triple disc album with just over 30 minutes of music on each disc. (My iTunes says it is 1 hour, 43 minutes). That is why I think there will be something like 10-14 more tracks. He definitely said "All-American Kid" is making the album and then even said on Studio G if a song you are looking for is not here it is coming later.
    thats gonna make the difference I think in some people buying the regular mix/physical copy in the fall. (I'll be doing it..) - extra songs... maybe some other rarities/gems too

If there are several more songs what is fascinating to me is there just about has to be a few more "surprises". Think about it, with the exception of a couple of songs the entire standard setlist is on this first release. (Believe me, I know because I did a setlist analysis of the 14 shows I saw. HA!) The basic set is pretty much the same every night with a few songs that get added in or dropped. Almost all of them are already released. So if we get several more songs there are going to be some interesting ones I think.
    I still refuse to totally speculate on it, but Ill be hopeful. there could be some interesting surprises certainly

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I really hope The Fever makes the cut on the retail version. I know he didnt play it as often on the back half of that tour which is the only reason I wonder about it.

But there is nothing better than hopping in your car at the end of the work day and jamming out to live versions of some of Garth's high energy songs and that one is right there near the top of that list.

Quote Originally Posted by jb2sprint View Post
    I really hope The Fever makes the cut on the retail version. I know he didnt play it as often on the back half of that tour which is the only reason I wonder about it.

But there is nothing better than hopping in your car at the end of the work day and jamming out to live versions of some of Garth's high energy songs and that one is right there near the top of that list.
    Agreed!

The songs that I saw the most that were not included...

1. Fever
    2. Much Too Young
    3. She's Every Woman
    4. Make You Feel My Love
    5. Man Against Machine
    6. Baby Let's Lay Down & Dance
    7. You Move Me
    8. All American Kid
    9. If Tomorrow Never Comes
    10. Ireland

Covers:
    1. Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off