+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eric Church sounds off on Garth

He's really going to rehash the lip-sync argument again? Is he seriously out of his God Damn mind?

I hesitate to say anything because I know it is a very unpopular opinion around here, but I get it. I hated Garth’s decision then and feel no differently now. Also, I kind of agree that Church probably should have won Entertainer of the Year in 2017. Yes, I know all of the tour numbers, but I felt Garth was rewarded for the tour in 2016 so 2017 felt like overkill. Outside of diehard Garth fans I know no one that thought Garth should win again in 2017.

So if you are Church who put together one of the most epic tours in country history, an album that won Album of the Year (with all 4 singles being hits), released 124 live tracks to celebrate your tour (with very few songs on the collection twice) and you played 3 1/2 hours (around 36 songs) every night leaving it all on stage I can understand being miffed you lost to the guy who lip synced, even if that guy is Garth.
    Last edited by rhd13; 07-25-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Lip syncing in an award show isnít that big of deal to me .

Itís a freaking award show ..
    In the land, of the midnight sun!

Church is just jealous. I understand him being upset, but he's jealous so that's why he had to take some shots. Garth was out of the limelight long enough for everyone to have a chance at the award. Church has been around a very long time himself and just hasn't been able to obtain the same status. Hands down, when Garth is on tour he's the best. The only show I've seen that somewhat gets close to him his Kenny Chesney. But even that is more of just a big party then an experience like Garth provides. Church needs to keep doing what he's doing if he's that good and he'll win it. But, I can't say I really ever run into any Eric Church fans like I do other country music artists fans. Coincidence?

So Eric donít like steel guitars eh?
    Knew there was a reason I didnít listen to yo stuff, bro.

Was kinda done after reading that...how the hell you gonna play country music and say you donít like steel guitar? You ainít country!!!!

Eh, Church is entitled to his opinion. Whatever... No skin off my back.

If Eric Church is pissed at a guy who has done so much for his genre over 30 years, because he once lip synced on a awards show because he lost his voice, then Church has issues.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    ok.. I'll weigh in (heck, why not..)

the title of the Thread: "Eric Church Sounds Off On Garth"... misleading...

The entire article had this much on Garth

He was rewarded for his effort with a nomination for the Country Music Association’s Entertainer of the Year, which he had never won. “I thought if we ever had a chance, that was it,” he says. But on the night of the ceremony, the prize went to Garth Brooks. Church was disappointed, “but it’s fine,” he says. “I’ve lost a lot of awards.” (Katherine took it harder. “She was sitting there beside me, grinning through her teeth, going, ‘I’m about to Kanye this thing.’ ”)

“But here’s what irked me,” says Church. In a press conference afterward, Brooks admitted he’d lip-synced his performance that night. He said he was in the midst of 12 shows in 10 days and his voice just wasn’t there. “That pissed me off,” says Church. “To me, lip-syncing is and always will be a red line. It’s fabricated. I don’t want young artists thinking it’s OK, because it’s not.”
    What made it even worse was the category: Entertainer of the Year. “So the winner of the biggest category of the night lip-synced in the biggest moment on the show?” says Church, getting heated all over again. “**** that! And I didn’t like his excuse at all. I felt like he was speaking for the other nominees. I can speak for myself – I’m not lip-syncing. If I can’t sing, I won’t sing, or I’ll sing badly. But at least you’ll get what you get.”
    Ok- Now, that "sounding off" aside (the fact that they spend more time on the subject of his political views than they do talking about Garth, so Garth's really just a small mention, nothing more, is more the sounding off, IMO).. here's what I take from the article..

1- I don't like his cursing- it's not needed.
    2- He's fine to have his political views, not a problem there, whatever they may be. but 'he sat it out'... not a good move , imo, if you want to complain..
    3- ok, the steel guitar thing.. he mentions
    “The great thing about country is where it came from,” he says. “It can change and evolve, and it should. It’s a big umbrella. But we can’t let it get so wide that we don’t know where the middle is. Country is not about hay bales or a fiddle. It’s about emotion and the organic way we make it. We don’t use machines. We use instruments.”"
    you know, he's right on some points, it isn't about hay bales or a fiddle. it IS about emotion... and it's getting too wide... dissing an instrument that's been rather instrumental as a 'machine' of the trade though... eh.. not his strongest point

still? it's plays to the title of the article, "Eric Church: The Defiant one".. He's defiant... sounds like he's a bit of a sore loser with the being pissed off at Garth.. shows that it's not about the music for him as much as it is the recognition and the award..

Garth though, was a very MINOR part of the story, honestly... (IMO)
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

If I remember right, GB did 12 shows in 10 days... People like Church should just be thankful to be able to sing for a living and stop feeling entitled to anything.

First of all I wish his wife would have pulled a Kanye it would have been career suicide. I lost a lot of respect for him after reading that article. He came off as a cry baby and sore loser. He thinks he is the best but he is not. This is why I say Garth should not discuss politics, you lose either way. I will never look at him the same, it changed a lot for me and kind of done with him.

Garth is my #1 when it comes to music. Always will be. However, I have to say that I absolutely despise lip syncing. To me, thereís no point. The fans know the artist is doing it. The artist knows that the fans know the artist is doing it. So, why? At that point then, the entertainment is just the fact that you get to stare at the artist while they try to look like theyíre singing. Itís so awkward and painful. I think it was a mistake.

That being said, Garth didnít try to hide it. He admitted it before the show even started. In addition, for Eric Church to make some sort of connection between that one performance and the EOY win is just dumb. That interview makes him sound like heís pouting. Not a fan of his stuff, but obviously heís taleneted. Interesting timing with the whole thing. Itís like heís held those comments in all this time and finally got the chance to say it.

I would understand complaining about lip synching if the artist *relied* on it, all the time. If you're someone who can't perform without lip syncing, and you win Entertainer of the Year over people who sing live, then yeah, there's an issue there. But Eric Church knows as well as the rest of us that Garth can sing perfectly well live. We've seen it for 30 years. If the lip syncing thing was a common occurrence, say something. But don't act holier-than-thou because of ONE time. Garth's excuse was obviously legitimate, he was up front about it, there's no problem here.

When you want to make headlines and you are a no body you slam someone who is a big name. Church isn't exactly a nobody but obviously not the same status as Garth. And he likes to be seen as a rebel. He's just living up to the persona he wants to maintain.

Eric Church is now blaming the NRA for the Vegas shooting. Does not like steal guitar in country. He ditched his look to become more mainstream pathetic. He is trying to be country music bad boy but just comes off as a cry baby douche bag. I am done with him and he will not be on my playlist ever again. Don’t mess with Garth

I will say it, I like Church a lot. His five albums are probably the 5 best country albums released since he entered country music in my opinion. Although I haven’t seen her in over a decade I was friends with his wife in high school. Members of my extended family know their family well. I’ve only met him once, but from what I understand he’s a good dude albeit rough around the edges.

I have no doubt he said those things, but I also think Rolling Stone crafted that article in order to highlight what I took as a casual conversation and really pound a few points to get controversial responses. I mean there was a lot of tidbits about liberal politics, controversial statements, the life or death story and the NRA. I think they tried to make him sound much more political and liberal than I’ve ever heard him be in interviews.

I didn’t get from the article what many got. He slammed the lip syncing, and in my opinion rightfully so. It’s not like he said Garth sucked as an artist. I’ve heard him praise Garth as an artist in the past. To me this reminds me of the announcement thing we go in circles about here where more is being read into the statement than what is actually being said.

I do think some of the stuff is about image but I kind of admire someone just saying what they think in our overly offended culture. It is that attitude that makes him great.

I guess my thing is I’m not blackballing an artist for criticizing Garth or any artist for that matter. Kind of believe I can really admire an artist who I may disagree with politically or their views on another artist.

I kind of find it humorous that he does a lot of things people wish Garth would do on this board. His tour ended in May of last year and before the year ended he released 124 songs, most of them different songs, from the tour. They were not touched up much or overproduced. Garth’s tour ended in December and we might get 25-35 songs if we are lucky and they will be overly polished. I’m just saying he’s a great artist and takes care of his fans.

Long story short, I’m not choosing between Garth or Church I can like them both. Both have flaws as artists and go about things differently. That is what makes them both great in their own way.
    Last edited by rhd13; 07-26-2018 at 08:37 PM.

His words are his words. I don't see how Rolling Stone can change his words. He took shots a the Gman. And we're hardcore Garth fans here. He should have tried to pick on someone else. And I still haven't ever met a hardcore Eric Church fan. I'm sure his family is great. But that was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    His words are his words. I don't see how Rolling Stone can change his words. He took shots a the Gman. And we're hardcore Garth fans here. He should have tried to pick on someone else. And I still haven't ever met a hardcore Eric Church fan. I'm sure his family is great. But that was wrong.
    Yes, his words are his words, but I can tell you for a FACT that newspapers, websites, blogs, etc. write articles to get readers. I know this because I have a degree in English and worked for newspapers in college and in my early 20s. Writers are always looking for an angle, trying to find what will grab attention and headlines. Controversial or political statements always do the trick.

Clearly lots of people are focused on just a few tidbits from the article so the writer clearly did his job. Based on the article it seems pretty clear the writer spent a significant amount of time with Church and consciously decided to focus on a handful of juicy tidbits including politics, a life or death story and things that would be controversial. The humorous thing about it all is this writer spent all day with Church and a statement of probably 30 seconds about Garth has everybody wound up.

My point is, and it is clearly an unpopular opinion here among some, that sometimes Garth deserves criticism. I have actually had some people leave me some very nasty messages for simply making statements/crticisms about Garth that were not mean spirited at all, but just statements about how I didn't agree/like certain things were being done.

I don't understand and never will how if someone criticizes an artist they can't be a fan. It's almost like we need to get the ropes out for the hanging if someone express an opinion that is "out of line" with everyone else. I personally find it ridiculous. A real fan doesn't have to like every song or agree with every word. Church simply made a statement that he found the lip syncing ridiculous. A lot of people did, including me. The funny thing is I know about some behind the scene connections between the two, and am pretty sure Eric admires Garth quite a bit. Of course, no one cares about that because he criticized him lip syncing.

By the way, I am a hardcore Eric fan as well as a hardcore Garth fan and Eric's statements in no way changes my opinion of him as an artist. Do I agree with all of his statements? No, far from it. But I still listened to some of his stuff this afternoon. I guess we've never met so maybe technically you haven't met an Eric fan, but trust me there are many out there. Eric is a huge artist who was nominated for Entertainer of the Year so clearly he has fans.

I just find the whole blasting anyone who criticizes Garth as unnecessary. We all can disagree and that is fine, but I just think the whole getting personal is a little overboard. The same thing that people are mad at Church over for saying are basically some of the same statements people have said about him. Just find it ironic.
    Last edited by rhd13; 07-26-2018 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jturtels View Post
    Garth is my #1 when it comes to music. Always will be. However, I have to say that I absolutely despise lip syncing. To me, there’s no point. The fans know the artist is doing it. The artist knows that the fans know the artist is doing it. So, why? At that point then, the entertainment is just the fact that you get to stare at the artist while they try to look like they’re singing. It’s so awkward and painful. I think it was a mistake.

That being said, Garth didn’t try to hide it. He admitted it before the show even started. In addition, for Eric Church to make some sort of connection between that one performance and the EOY win is just dumb. That interview makes him sound like he’s pouting. Not a fan of his stuff, but obviously he’s taleneted. Interesting timing with the whole thing. It’s like he’s held those comments in all this time and finally got the chance to say it.
    Cool. Someone that agrees on the lip syncing. I know some say it's just an awards show and one performance, but it is a performance in front of millions. I think more care should be taken to actually perform the song live in an awards setting to really prove what you are made of. Garth played to ALMOST TWICE AS MANY PEOPLE (14.3 million according to the ratings) that night on the CMAs than he played to on his entire 3 1/2 year world tour so to me it is a HUGE deal.

I do think there is a connection between that performance and EOY win though. I actually made that same statement to my friends the next day. The guy who took home the night's biggest prize was the guy who didn't actually sing on the show. I get the correlation.
    Last edited by rhd13; 07-26-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post

By the way, I am a hardcore Eric fan as well as a hardcore Garth fan and Eric's statements in no way changes my opinion of him as an artist.
    Which makes sense why you are responding the way you are responding which I respect. But as a Garth fan, I find it repulsive.

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Which makes sense why you are responding the way you are responding which I respect. But as a Garth fan, I find it repulsive.
    Fair enough. Totally respect your view as well just so you know.

Honestly I've been a die hard Garth fan a lot longer than I've been a Church fan since the first album came out in 2006. I'm not really defending him. I guess I just understand the lip syncing comment because I agree. I appear to be in the vast minority about that around here.

I will say that I don't agree with Church's cussing, some of his political views, etc. Nonetheless, I love his music. It's a breath of fresh air compared to most of the bro-country crap that has invaded the format the last few years.

I don't mind that he gave his opinion on Garth lip syncing. Even though I don't share the same opinion. I don't see how I would never play his music again, just because he has a different opinion. He might not be as classy as Garth is, but we can't expect all country singers to be like him.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowland_Kid View Post
    I don't mind that he gave his opinion on Garth lip syncing. Even though I don't share the same opinion. I don't see how I would never play his music again, just because he has a different opinion. He might not be as classy as Garth is, but we can't expect all country singers to be like him.
    This!

USA Today has an article on country fans being upset with him about his NRA comments today. He's definitely making noise!

This might be a controversial opinion, but I think with Miranda, Anderson and EC, I think they're expressing a form of entitlement. By that I mean that a veteran artist is doing something he got away with in the past and they're whining about it. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowland_Kid View Post
    i agree.

I think the thing that saddens me the most about all this is I believe music is the great unifier. You can take people from all walks of life, from all over the world with different beliefs about religion, politics or whatever and unite them with music. I’ve met people who I had nothing in common with but the loveof music of an artist. When we are all gathered in an arena for a show our bond of love for the music outweighs everything else.

Church said some things I don’t agree with and that’s fine, but I do believe Rolling Stone had a political agenda here. Read Trigger’s article on Saving Country Music. He addresses that in depth (and Trigger is no Church fan, but he believes there was an agenda).

Long story short, music should be the one place we come together over what we have in common. Kind of sickening that it is now being a pawn to push politics, divisions, etc.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    I think the thing that saddens me the most about all this is I believe music is the great unifier. You can take people from all walks of life, from all over the world with different beliefs about religion, politics or whatever and unite them with music. I’ve met people who I had nothing in common with but the loveof music of an artist. When we are all gathered in an arena for a show our bond of love for the music outweighs everything else.
    a very good point...

Church said some things I don’t agree with and that’s fine, but I do believe Rolling Stone had a political agenda here. Read Trigger’s article on Saving Country Music. He addresses that in depth (and Trigger is no Church fan, but he believes there was an agenda).

Long story short, music should be the one place we come together over what we have in common. Kind of sickening that it is now being a pawn to push politics, divisions, etc.
    think about it though- Everything it seems in entertainment is in some way or another being used to push politics and division. I'm not commenting on any particular situation btw. it's all over.. on both sides of the aisle. I do think you hit things on the head though with your comments about Rolling Stone having an agenda.. - they most certainly did have an agenda..

Honestly, to me, the Garth thing was really a minor bit of the article... but it's getting a lot more play on PG than I thought it would really..
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I've seen the interview in my news feed on other sites the past couple days, it does seem like they are focusing on GB more than anything else there, even in the headlines.

I agree with you about the political aspect but that's been Rolling Stone's thing since its inception. I think the Garth thing will blow over the NRA thing will stay with him for a while. Kind of reminds of the Dixie Chicks even though I don't except the same thing to happen to him that happened to them. In terms of the NRA and gun control statements I think he might be in trouble for that one. Its not that I don't necessarily disagree with some of the things his says, you just have to know your audience.

+ Reply to Thread