+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rolling Stone Takes Garth to Task

Rolling Stone Takes Garth to Task

Rolling Stone wrote a very positive article about “All Day Long” and made the great point that he is limiting himself from having a song everyone knows again because of his exclusivity to Amazon.

It’s a really strong article that I hope Garth reads:
    https://rol.st/2tWWDzx

Except the huge fact you can own it and play it anyway and anywhere you want..."if you're a fan". (Excluded a few, I know)

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    Except the huge fact you can own it and play it anyway and anywhere you want..."if you're a fan". (Excluded a few, I know)
    The point of the article is that the casual fan will not listen to the song on repeat like they do other radio hits. Apple and Spotify own a huge part of the market share. Folks arenít going to change their music subscription and lose their playlists for one artist.

Sure, anyone can buy it (if you pre-order the album), but it takes a heck of a lot of effort and a premium price to do so if you only want one song. The casual fan will not do that. We are in an easy access world. Garthís music is anything but easy access for casual music fans.

There's a huge market for cheese burgers, only one place for a Big Mac....it's life. If you want, go get it! I understand the article but I also think it's just SOME people being lazy to a point too. By this point, casual Garth fans and diehard fans know where to get our 'Big Mac'.

It wasn't any effort and the new album is payed for with the preorder, win-win!

Taylor Swift pulled her stuff from Spotify so he's not the only one to limit who has his music and she's one of the biggest artists to reach younger listeners. Seems bit of a one sided article since they didn't talk about how Garth wants to take care of the song writers that he is able to do through Amazon. Sounds like a writer trying to make a name for themselves by taking a shot at Garth since he has the hot single right now and he is a big name. Didn't we have a no name taking shots at him last year at the CMAs for his performance. Price of being on top.

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Taylor Swift pulled her stuff from Spotify so he's not the only one to limit who has his music and she's one of the biggest artists to reach younger listeners. Seems bit of a one sided article since they didn't talk about how Garth wants to take care of the song writers that he is able to do through Amazon. Sounds like a writer trying to make a name for themselves by taking a shot at Garth since he has the hot single right now and he is a big name. Didn't we have a no name taking shots at him last year at the CMAs for his performance. Price of being on top.
    Taylor Swift returned to Spotify last year. Hereís a good write up on it from the point of view of the head of Spotify:
    https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...9%3fsource=dam

I agree that itís frustrating they didnít mention the royalties deal, but the RS article represents the casual fan. A quick twitter search will find people complaining Garth isnít on Apple or Spotify daily. Almost every other artists music is widely available.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    Taylor Swift returned to Spotify last year. Here’s a good write up on it from the point of view of the head of Spotify:

I agree that it’s frustrating they didn’t mention the royalties deal, but the RS article represents the casual fan. A quick twitter search will find people complaining Garth isn’t on Apple or Spotify daily. Almost every other artists music is widely available.
    Most other artists don't have a say where their music goes. Why? Because they don't own their music. It's frustrating that he's not on iTunes but at this point it's beating a dead horse to keep bringing it up because no matter how much we scream from the mountain top he's not going to do it.

It is frustrating that it is NOT available in all countries! THAT is what I find so hard to swallow! WHY make it available in a few selected countries only????
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    Taylor Swift returned to Spotify last year. Here’s a good write up on it from the point of view of the head of Spotify:

I agree that it’s frustrating they didn’t mention the royalties deal, but the RS article represents the casual fan. A quick twitter search will find people complaining Garth isn’t on Apple or Spotify daily. Almost every other artists music is widely available.

But my point is she wasn't concerned with who was listening when she pulled her stuff off of Spotify. She was concerned with the royalties, etc. She only returned after her 1989 album sold 10 million copies according to the article.

I do see what you are saying about the casual fan. However, I think Garth doesn't do Apple or Spotify because he believes he is big enough to bring the songwriter issue to the attention of the casual fan. And we see him losing out on a younger market and fans in countries outside of the US.

I am curious. Since he makes the songwriter issue a big thing. What percentage do the songwriters make? Do they not get royalties when people like Garth repackage their songs and sell them year after year? Is it based on the platform the music is bought or played on or is it more of the way a contact is setup between a songwriter and an artist? Actors, even those with really small parts in movies, still get royalty checks years after the movies have been release. How does that compare to this? What else can be done in the industry other than having an icon of the music try to make a difference by how he chooses to make his music available (since it doesn't appear to be working)?

A casual fan doesn't care. You can still get whatever music you want in some form. Heck, as a high school teacher I watch my students find all kinds of websites to go to watch movies just released in the theaters on their school issues lap tops during their 4th period class.

I have no problem criticizing Garth when I feel it necessary, but I think this continually beating a dead horse over his music not being available everywhere digitally is missing the overall point.

Garth is a business man, and a smart one at that, and he has made a CONSCIOUS decision that doing his business this way is better for his brand overall than going the route that everyone else takes. We have seen articles in the past where the songwriters themselves have discussed that he makes them more money off of old songs than many artist's make off of current music.

By his exclusive retail deals he guarantees at least 1 million units moved. When you guarantee that many copies are sold you can reduce the royalty rate, sell at a reduced rate, and still make a bigger profit than current acts who stream like crazy on Spotify. Don't be fooled. This is not Garth being antiquated. This is Garth thinking outside of the box and making more money than his peers despite not being available everywhere. It is a conscious business decision. Nothing more, nothing less. We can gripe and complain all we want, but as long as he can guarantee a million units sold from some retailer he's going to do it because it is a smart business decision and good for the bottom line.

I know for our friends outside of the US it might be different, but in the US it is easy to get his music. You just have to actually buy it and if you want it bad enough you will do that. Yes, it may be a pain it is just on Amazon digitally, but if I can buy the 2 new tracks off of Amazon and put them in my iTunes in a matter of a couple of minutes anyone can. (I am not technologically inclined HA!).

At the end of the day it is what it is. Garth is not going to change and I've learned to be OK with that. I personally think he believes that if someone doesn't care enough about his music to do anything more than listen on a streaming service or buy a digital single that he doesn't really feel like he needs that fan. I know he would NEVER say that, but he takes the "music has value" route and if a person isn't willing to pay for it, well they evidently don't want it bad enough.

You can agree or disagree with the take above, but I think his actions play it out. It is a BUSINESS decision and he's doing big business and making the people that are connected with him a lot of money. More than if his music was available to stream on your average streaming service. If he wasn't I think he would change. As long as he can continue to make money doing it this way I think it will continue. Better get used to it.

I know some think he is losing out on a younger crowd, and there may be some validity to that argument. At the same time though, if you believe in the model of someone buying your music as opposed to streaming that might just be a sacrifice you are willing to make. I think he is smart enough to know the risks/gambles he is taking and he is making very calculated decisions. So far, with the exception of his radio singles, this strategy has paid off in him being country music's highest paid artist annually. I think with this new album it is clear he is working on getting more radio play and with that very well may come a younger audience. Again, I think he has it all mapped in his head and iTunes and Spotify are clearly just not part of the plan....at least not now.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I have no problem criticizing Garth when I feel it necessary, but I think this continually beating a dead horse over his music not being available everywhere digitally is missing the overall point.

Garth is a business man, and a smart one at that, and he has made a CONSCIOUS decision that doing his business this way is better for his brand overall than going the route that everyone else takes. We have seen articles in the past where the songwriters themselves have discussed that he makes them more money off of old songs than many artist's make off of current music.

By his exclusive retail deals he guarantees at least 1 million units moved. When you guarantee that many copies are sold you can reduce the royalty rate, sell at a reduced rate, and still make a bigger profit than current acts who stream like crazy on Spotify. Don't be fooled. This is not Garth being antiquated. This is Garth thinking outside of the box and making more money than his peers despite not being available everywhere. It is a conscious business decision. Nothing more, nothing less. We can gripe and complain all we want, but as long as he can guarantee a million units sold from some retailer he's going to do it because it is a smart business decision and good for the bottom line.

I know for our friends outside of the US it might be different, but in the US it is easy to get his music. You just have to actually buy it and if you want it bad enough you will do that. Yes, it may be a pain it is just on Amazon digitally, but if I can buy the 2 new tracks off of Amazon and put them in my iTunes in a matter of a couple of minutes anyone can. (I am not technologically inclined HA!).

At the end of the day it is what it is. Garth is not going to change and I've learned to be OK with that. I personally think he believes that if someone doesn't care enough about his music to do anything more than listen on a streaming service or buy a digital single that he doesn't really feel like he needs that fan. I know he would NEVER say that, but he takes the "music has value" route and if a person isn't willing to pay for it, well they evidently don't want it bad enough.

You can agree or disagree with the take above, but I think his actions play it out. It is a BUSINESS decision and he's doing big business and making the people that are connected with him a lot of money. More than if his music was available to stream on your average streaming service. If he wasn't I think he would change. As long as he can continue to make money doing it this way I think it will continue. Better get used to it.

I know some think he is losing out on a younger crowd, and there may be some validity to that argument. At the same time though, if you believe in the model of someone buying your music as opposed to streaming that might just be a sacrifice you are willing to make. I think he is smart enough to know the risks/gambles he is taking and he is making very calculated decisions. So far, with the exception of his radio singles, this strategy has paid off in him being country music's highest paid artist annually. I think with this new album it is clear he is working on getting more radio play and with that very well may come a younger audience. Again, I think he has it all mapped in his head and iTunes and Spotify are clearly just not part of the plan....at least not now.
    Good points!

This was an interesting article.
    https://www.cnet.com/news/will-digit...-anytime-soon/
    I no its just a pipe dream but I would love for Garth to start releasing and re-releasing his music on vinyl. I love vinyl and love the way i sounds. The writer made some good points, especially his comment about streaming being onlt 38 percent versus cds being at 30 percent. With 30th anniversary coming up, it would be a cool time to do it even if just a limited thing.

I just want a physical CD single of All Day Long lol

Well, after watching Studio G, we know Garth read this article too. However, notice how he wasn't too effected by it. Just wanted to make sure they added where people could BUY his music.

+ Reply to Thread