+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Album Thread

New Album Thread

Thought I’d start a general discussion for all things new album.

I’m mostly starting it because I wasn’t sure where else to post this. R&B singer Tevin Campbell posted a picture of himself with Garth and songwriter John Martin (Cowboys Forever, Ugly Christmas Sweater). Included are hashtags #waitforit #weworking #countryandr&bcollide

Interesting! Could this be a return to a Chris Gaines type sound? I know many on here would welcome it.

https://instagram.com/p/BkWXn49HS1g/

Did a little research on Campbell as I am pretty ignorant on most R&B and he had some major hits in the 90's. Millions of views on YouTube and at least 7 big hits.
    Last edited by DuckStreetCowboy; 06-24-2018 at 12:57 AM.

So many positive comments on his position with trying something different. Maybe we can take a hint from his fans?!

It seems like it's pretty normal for "seasoned" artists to begin collaborating with others in an attempt to stay relevant....I think the FILP collaboration with Aldean, etc. would be an example of that.

I just hope that, somehow, Garth can capture some of that George Strait magic. Seems like Strait can put out an album any day of the week and at least one song is going to be a hit...age doesn't seem to matter. The exception being the auto-tuned "final" concert live album. Not good.

Anyway, ever since Garth came back, I've always thought *this* upcoming album would be his biggest chance at being a major success. I just thought the third album could be the most solid. I very much viewed MAM as a "hey, I'm back! Remember me?" album. Most would say Gunslinger was a disappointment, but it was definitely more Garth than MAM. I think that if Garth is going to be able to really have a huge impact in regards to new music, it's gotta be this new album coming up.

As someone else said, I really hope it's a standalone release...not added to some box set. I felt like Gunslinger was just kinda thrown in. Non-fans most likely had no idea it was out until AMHIK blew up. It definitely felt a bit rushed or something...just kind of odd. As the article mentioned that ranked his albums, they were recording Gunslinger while doing the huge tour. I can't imagine that was easy.

I guess we'll see. I'd just love some really Garth stuff...something like Lonesome Dove, What She's Doing Now, That 'Ol Wind, Two of a Kind....Might not be the current trends, but I hope he doesn't care...just like George Strait.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by jturtels View Post
    It seems like it's pretty normal for "seasoned" artists to begin collaborating with others in an attempt to stay relevant....I think the FILP collaboration with Aldean, etc. would be an example of that.

I just hope that, somehow, Garth can capture some of that George Strait magic. Seems like Strait can put out an album any day of the week and at least one song is going to be a hit...age doesn't seem to matter. The exception being the auto-tuned "final" concert live album. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by jturtels View Post
    I guess we'll see. I'd just love some really Garth stuff...something like Lonesome Dove, What She's Doing Now, That 'Ol Wind, Two of a Kind....Might not be the current trends, but I hope he doesn't care...just like George Strait.
    hmm.. comments about being like other artists/doing what other artists do aside..

I see the point you're trying to make ... what I think has made George Strait's albums successful in that way is not nec. that 'he doesn't care', but more along the lines of he hasn't really strayed from the 'sound that brought him to the game' as it were. In SOME ways, his songs all sound the same.. they have that distinctive "George Strait" Vibe/sound and that's why there's a 'guaranteed hit' as it were off of about any album..

I'd hope Garth would 'stick to his sound' as it were... that'd be nice, but would it be relevant in this day and age? you'd like to think so.. only question would be what era of Garth 'sound' would he be sticking to.. Id like to hear a pre 'scarecrow' sound more.. not that Scarecrow wasn't good. Not that MAM and GS didn't have good parts on them (BANG! BANG! aside- that song's horrendous)

try new song writers... trust your pen maybe, but DONT adapt to the bro country/new country sound TOO much.. relevance for the sake of sales isn't relevance. AT least that's how I'm seeing it this AM

but for the love of all things holy- please, NO return to the Chris Gaines debacle.. That was an ill sighted project with yes, a few good songs, but a Gosh awful idea in the end it was
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    what I think has made George Strait's albums successful in that way is not nec. that 'he doesn't care', but more along the lines of he hasn't really strayed from the 'sound that brought him to the game' as it were. In SOME ways, his songs all sound the same.. they have that distinctive "George Strait" Vibe/sound and that's why there's a 'guaranteed hit' as it were off of about any album..
    Exactly...seems like we're saying the same thing, but not the same words. I didn't mean he doesn't care in the way of just throwing out random stuff, he's just not going to conform to the norm. Sort of if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The variable here is the artist....if I were some major star, would I get bored putting out the same "sound" all the time? Probably....and maybe that's Garth. If that's the case, then good for him...but you can't be too worried about charts.

Perfect example is Mumford and Sons. They had a very...VERY distinct sound. Almost to the point where you didn't always know exactly what song was starting until the verse started. First two albums were that way...and were massive hits. For the third album, they decided to completely switch things up and go electric. Some would say it was a bad move...but if that artist is happy with what they're doing, then it's a success.

Back in March Garth played a snippet of a song called "The Road From Here to Gone" on Inside Studio G. Any chance this one makes the new album?

Quote Originally Posted by coco1997 View Post
    Back in March Garth played a snippet of a song called "The Road From Here to Gone" on Inside Studio G. Any chance this one makes the new album?
    Hmm-= that would be from the (if my recaps were accurate) March 19th episode I think (or march 20th but that was a tuesday)

I don't know. he seemed to be using hte song only as a point during his 'primetime' part talking about the marches which were taking place.. I don't know if it was going to be something he's putting on an album- I remember liking the snippet though

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

It's here:
    https://youtu.be/Hehd3Fk0rf8

Says video was uploading March 19th.

He probably will have that song on the album cos it has that deep message, it also kind of reminds me of the river.
    'All the way to Tacoma, by then I hope you're out of my mind.'

I sure hope it's on the album, cuz wow... I think more so than anything he's released since the comeback this song sounds like it could go down as one of his greats. Message-driven sing-a-long style. Up there with The River, Unanswered Prayers, The Change, etc.

Garth said on Studio G tonight that we will be getting "bits and pieces" of the new album over the next few months. He said we will be getting other songs before the 2nd single. The fact that they know what the second single is already is exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    Garth said on Studio G tonight that we will be getting "bits and pieces" of the new album over the next few months. He said we will be getting other songs before the 2nd single. The fact that they know what the second single is already is exciting!
    I loved the 'bits and pieces' parts too and the notion that we'll get them before retail gets them

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Something I don't quite understand is how Amazon will be delivering the songs to those of us that preordered as they become available. The listing on Amazon is not set up the same way Amazon does all their other music preorders. It's set up as if it's a complete purchase.

For example, look at the difference between Kenny Chesney's upcoming album preorder: https://www.amazon.com/Songs-Saints-...ms-bar-strip-0

and Garth's upcoming album preorder: https://www.amazon.com/Pre-order-Gar...r+garth+brooks

Notice how on Kenny Chesney's album, the purchase button says "Pre-order album" and you pay 2.98 now for the currently available songs, and will be charged as the rest becomes available.

Garth's, on the other hand, says "Buy MP3 album" as if it's a complete listing. There's absolutely nothing on the page that says anything about how the rest of the album will come. Amazon thinks I've made a complete purchase.

I just know that modern music delivery is not Garth's strong suit, so I hope those of us that preordered are able to get the rest of these songs as they are released without too many technical difficultly hiccups.

Quote Originally Posted by mdewater View Post
    Something I don't quite understand is how Amazon will be delivering the songs to those of us that preordered as they become available. The listing on Amazon is not set up the same way Amazon does all their other music preorders. It's set up as if it's a complete purchase.

For example, look at the difference between Kenny Chesney's upcoming album preorder: https://www.amazon.com/Songs-Saints-...ms-bar-strip-0

and Garth's upcoming album preorder: https://www.amazon.com/Pre-order-Gar...r+garth+brooks

Notice how on Kenny Chesney's album, the purchase button says "Pre-order album" and you pay 2.98 now for the currently available songs, and will be charged as the rest becomes available.

Garth's, on the other hand, says "Buy MP3 album" as if it's a complete listing. There's absolutely nothing on the page that says anything about how the rest of the album will come. Amazon thinks I've made a complete purchase.

I just know that modern music delivery is not Garth's strong suit, so I hope those of us that preordered are able to get the rest of these songs as they are released without too many technical difficultly hiccups.
    Yeah, Garth has no idea how any of that works and I'm not sure his team does either. They just rely on Amazon to do it right. I hope there aren't any problems, but I have trust that Garth and his team will make it right if there are any problems. They did with the GhostTunes pre-order and I assume they will here as well.

I spoke too soon, I saw a link at my amazon page, that said add to cart, and thought great I can pre order it, but decided to wait, now it wont let me, apparently people from New Zealand and Australia are having this problem, Im
    guessing people from outside the USA and Canada also. Thankfully I have a brother in the states who will send me the album.

Still this is crazy, that in 2018, this happens. Its why the world uses, apple/spotify and not amazon.

Garth has been all over the radio around the country this week promoting "All Day Long" and this new tour. I've caught many of his interviews, but his one with Katie Neal of NASH 94.7 New York stood out because he mentions some new song titles!

When asked if we'll hear more honky-tonk songs on the upcoming album "Yeah, the whole vision for this album is just fun ... there's a song called "Party-Gras" that's just fun kinda a cajun fun thing." He continued, "There's traditional cowboy songs. There's a song called "That's What Cowboys Do" it's a lot of fun and sounds like George Strait right out of the early 80's"

So "Party-Gras" and "That's What Cowboys Do". Very intriguing titles!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/BlJX9SZ...d=cwm2agt01dpe
    Last edited by DuckStreetCowboy; 07-12-2018 at 06:33 PM.

"Just fun" is exactly how he described Gunslinger... so for those of you who hated that album, it sounds like you may not like this one too much either. But I loved Gunslinger, so I think these titles sound great and I'm really looking forward to hearing them.

I loved Gunslinger also, it was a fun enjoyable, I think that is what Garth is going to concentrate on now with his career, may not win hima lot of awards and or praise from critics, but hey who cares about them.
    In saying all this, those quotes Garth made about this new album, has been made before about most his previous albums.

I didn't care for GS, but the two new songs have a different feel to them, than what was on GS, so I'm hopeful!

I remember hearing garth talk during his retirement about the new age of digital music. He said the way to do it would be to release a single every 3 months and when you have all the singles for the album out you release the album with the few extra songs that did not make the single list. I wonder with the release of two songs already and the talk of releasing a few more before the album comes out if that is what he is doing?

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    I remember hearing garth talk during his retirement about the new age of digital music. He said the way to do it would be to release a single every 3 months and when you have all the singles for the album out you release the album with the few extra songs that did not make the single list. I wonder with the release of two songs already and the talk of releasing a few more before the album comes out if that is what he is doing?
    Itís a good strategy that others have done before. In his case specifically itís good because he doesnít sell singles. Itís another reminder for people to go preorder the album.

+ Reply to Thread