+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: July 9th... "Big" announcement..

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    I would say it came from Garth himself. There was a countdown on his website. There were excerpts of him talking about it all weekend on the Garth channel.
    full disclosure, I haven't heard all that was being talked bout on the garth channel. I will say- the countdown- that's on him sure..

He's been mentioning it the last 2 to 3 months on Studio G.
    does mentioning it mean he's hyping it.. and what was the context of mentioning it- was it with HIM talking, or in reference to answering a question..

That's still on him to a degree because he had us all excited about it. But as a Garth fan, I'm interested in learning more about what is ahead.
    ehh- getting excited about it- that's not on Garth- that's on the fans.. I'm with you though- def. interested in learning more about what's ahead... gotta digest the news conference..

if one thing is true w/ Garth- sometimes you have to read between the lines a bit- he SEEMS to be an open book- but t's not always so...

I think SOME (not you nec. Garthcop) on PG and elsewhere have (again) over hyped things to a point that short of a full blown tour announcement with dates, tickets, and pronouncements of where overseas he'd play... short of that type of experience, nothing would have been fitting of their expectation(s)

we're let down because we didn't get what WE wanted, not because Garth messed up (necessarily..)
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGarthFan View Post
    I realize this isn't the right audience for this tip, since most people here probably want a good seat when they go see Garth. But for those who might be thinking of going to this show, and don't so much care where they're sitting, I will give you a tip.

Wait as long as you can before purchasing tickets, and keep Stubhub in mind. 1-2 weeks before the show, you will see prices on the secondary market start dropping significantly. For a show this large, it's almost a 100% guarantee. In the days leading up to the show, you'll be able to buy tickets for $10/ticket.

And if you try for good seats during the onsale, but are only getting nosebleeds coming up, don't panic and buy them. You will almost certainly be able to have a pick of decent tickets for at or near face value as the show approaches.

I just saw Dead & Company at Dodger Stadium. The tickets I bought on Stubhub were $35/ticket after fees. Their face value after fees through Ticketmaster was over $100/ticket. Upper deck tickets that had cost $60 were going for about $10.

interesting- good idea to keep in mind, if not for this show, than for others... (maybe geographically closer to me hehe)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    I can talk more bout this later (though I think 'I'd anger people if I did too much) but Let's look at it from this perspective, Brett (and others too perhaps)...

9 months of hype..... I'm gonna go back to the inside studio G's from that point in time (would put it about november of last year).. I'm convinced he wasn't HYPING.. he may have mentioned things... and I did just run across one quote that mentions if (paraphrasing) "it can be put together as the guys have explained it..." (loose paraphrase) "then 2019-2020 are going to make the last 3 years look small".. Garth stated there were a few dates in 2018, but they'd be sparse... I'm not saying that you or anyone else was wrong to say he's hyped it, but where did that 'hype' come from?

simple... I don't think really that it came from GARTH.. It came (ONCE AGAIN) from the fans, from our speculation, and from our expectations and desires... Garth has always done things HIS way... (sometimes he's been pigheaded and frankly stupid about it and sometimes not) why should this tour/new stuff be any different?

The fault, the egg on the face, the disappointment, I think it needs to fall closer at the feet of those most responsible for the "hype".. the fans.... (some of us more hardcore, "in the know" or "long time" fans....) just a thought.. which I reserve the right to change after watching the conference that I downloaded
    Since December Garth has said "Biggest thing I have ever done" "Needed Federal Govt Approval" "game changing for the music Industry" "Bigger than playing on the moon" In relation to This announcement. Not whats happening in the
    future, it was to this announcement. The guessing we can take blame for, but the hype it was all Garth, just my opinion anyway, perhaps Im grumpy cuz I got up at 330am for this. The statement he made about 2019/2020 sounds like just the typical generic Garth.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    Since December Garth has said "Biggest thing I have ever done" "Needed Federal Govt Approval" "game changing for the music Industry" "Bigger than playing on the moon" In relation to This announcement. Not whats happening in the
    future, it was to this announcement.
    I'm (at the moment) gonna call shenanigans on that.. I think his comments when taken in context are more likely to be talking about the future, what's coming overall, not "the announcement".. That's my guess/opinion true, but I do have all inside studio G shows recorded... will take a look back at things, and see where the expectation lied..- future or announcement..

The guessing we can take blame for, but the hype it was all Garth, just my opinion anyway, perhaps Im grumpy cuz I got up at 330am for this. The statement he made about 2019/2020 sounds like just the typical generic Garth.
    except that it was made back about 9 months ago... btw..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I'm (at the moment) gonna call shenanigans on that.. I think his comments when taken in context are more likely to be talking about the future, what's coming overall, not "the announcement".. That's my guess/opinion true, but I do have all inside studio G shows recorded... will take a look back at things, and see where the expectation lied..- future or announcement..

except that it was made back about 9 months ago... btw..
    hehe you call shenanigans.

The bigger than playing on the moon was said to Katie from CMT, at the stagecoach festival, it was in relation to this announcement, although back then he said it
    was going to be made on june 4th.

I can talk more bout this later (though I think 'I'd anger people if I did too much) but Let's look at it from this perspective, Brett (and others too perhaps)...

9 months of hype..... I'm gonna go back to the inside studio G's from that point in time (would put it about november of last year).. I'm convinced he wasn't HYPING.. he may have mentioned things... and I did just run across one quote that mentions if (paraphrasing) "it can be put together as the guys have explained it..." (loose paraphrase) "then 2019-2020 are going to make the last 3 years look small".. Garth stated there were a few dates in 2018, but they'd be sparse... I'm not saying that you or anyone else was wrong to say he's hyped it, but where did that 'hype' come from?

simple... I don't think really that it came from GARTH.. It came (ONCE AGAIN) from the fans, from our speculation, and from our expectations and desires... Garth has always done things HIS way... (sometimes he's been pigheaded and frankly stupid about it and sometimes not) why should this tour/new stuff be any different?

The fault, the egg on the face, the disappointment, I think it needs to fall closer at the feet of those most responsible for the "hype".. the fans.... (some of us more hardcore, "in the know" or "long time" fans....) just a thought.. which I reserve the right to change after watching the conference that I downloaded
    I'm going to say the vast majority of the time you and I agree. I think we see a lot of things alike when it comes to Garth, but I'm going to disagree a little bit with you here.

I do agree that we as the fans get overexcited and read too much into statements at times. There is no doubt about that. This one is different in my mind though. There were lots of statements about how "big" this whole thing was going to be including the whole comment about it being better than playing on the moon. That wasn't the fans that said that, it was him. He had a countdown clock on his website with the words "never before" and by all accounts was going to announce an actual tour today. I'm not sure that is on the fans getting overly excited. He definitely spurred it on.

In fairness, I do think something happened (maybe legally) and he couldn't announce it all today. However, that is not the fault of any fans. He did hype this and has talked about it. Even if we don't want to say he's been talking about it since 2017 he has DEFINITELY been talking about it the last couple of months.

Yeah, I agree that we sometimes read way too much into things and get our hopes up too high (i.e. nobody should have taken the "playing on the moon would be a step back from this" comment seriously). That being said, Garth has been hyping up all these huge things happening this year for a while now. Moreover, with this particular announcement, he strongly implied several times (if not outright said) in the past few Studio G's that everything would be revealed at the July 9 announcement. He didn't say the first part of the new tour would be announced or the first show on the tour would be announced on July 9, he said it would all come July 9, with all the details, etc.

So when all that was announced today was just the kickoff show of the tour, and not with even any details but just another announcement of a future announcement, then IMO we're not out of line or being irrational or unreasonable by feeling let down or upset.

Will all the details of this show and the rest of the tour come out eventually? Yes, probably. But Garth hyped up this particular date and announcement so much that I just don't think we were wrong to have expected more to be revealed than what was actually announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    See, that right there is why I stopped believing his hype machine a LOOOOOONNNGGG time ago. He said last year that the G-alert thing would only be used for really special announcements. Then he basically only used it for was the Atlanta stadium show. So I have learned that "big" and "huge" to him is a lot different than "big" and "huge" to us. While playing Notre Dame is probably a huge deal for him. most of us are all kinda "meh" about it. The lesson here ---- don't get hyped up about something just because Garth is excited about it, because it's likely only that exciting for him.
    Best post in the thread!

hehe you call shenanigans.

The bigger than playing on the moon was said to Katie from CMT, at the stagecoach festival, it was in relation to this announcement, although back then he said it
    was going to be made on june 4th.
    Brett- you'll notice I said "I'm (AT THE MOMENT) (caps emphasis mine) gonna call shenanigans on that." I'm more than willing to look at the katie from CMT interview again, if I can find it, to see if his comments were in relation to the september 9th announcement as you are intimating

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

if you'll pardon the emphatic expressions....

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Yeah, I agree that we sometimes read way too much into things and get our hopes up too high (i.e. nobody should have taken the "playing on the moon would be a step back from this" comment seriously).
    AMEN!!!

. Moreover, with this particular announcement, he strongly implied several times (if not outright said) in the past few Studio G's that everything would be revealed at the July 9 announcement. He didn't say the first part of the new tour would be announced or the first show on the tour would be announced on July 9, he said it would all come July 9, with all the details, etc.
    I'll go back through my recaps and my recordings to verify the "everything" part of it,

So when all that was announced today was just the kickoff show of the tour, and not with even any details but just another announcement of a future announcement, then IMO we're not out of line or being irrational or unreasonable by feeling let down or upset.
    ehh where was the term "people are being irrational" or "people are out of line" or "people are unreasonable" used in my statements?. As for "all that was announced today" being the kickoff (or more likely, a one off show) at ND.... ehh.. still gotta look at the press conference, in addition to doing the recap of Studio G from tonight... context needed

Will all the details of this show and the rest of the tour come out eventually? Yes, probably. But Garth hyped up this particular date and announcement so much that I just don't think we were wrong to have expected more to be revealed than what was actually announced.[/QUOTE]

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    Best post in the thread!

Seconded!!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Brett- you'll notice I said "I'm (AT THE MOMENT) (caps emphasis mine) gonna call shenanigans on that." I'm more than willing to look at the katie from CMT interview again, if I can find it, to see if his comments were in relation to the september 9th announcement as you are intimating
    It was the outside interview he and trisha did with her.

hmm- I will have to look, i think I recorded that

It was the outside interview he and trisha did with her.

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

NBC Special. No doubt in my mind. And ND has a huge TV deal with NBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Inman View Post
    Be careful with having no doubts. A few on here have been bitten by the no doubt bug and the effects are still showing.

His media team is really good. I think it’s just them being excellent at making promo videos. Plus, I can’t imagine him doing a TV special on night 1 of a big stadium tour. He wouldn’t want spoil the surprises for other cities.

I don’t believe it will be a live special. It will come out after the tour.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    Be careful with having no doubts. A few on here have been bitten by the no doubt bug and the effects are still showing.
    Absolutely!!

His media team is really good. I think it’s just them being excellent at making promo videos. Plus, I can’t imagine him doing a TV special on night 1 of a big stadium tour. He wouldn’t want spoil the surprises for other cities.
    would be nice to see it taped / put out as a live album, but we know that won't happen...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Garth: Wolf, wolf, wolf!!!

Me: Meh.

Do not think I will care the next time he cries it either.

Hahaha, nice one! Will try to not care too, the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by gbfevernorway View Post
    Garth: Wolf, wolf, wolf!!!

Me: Meh.

Do not think I will care the next time he cries it either.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

I've been thinking about this a lot since the announcement yesterday.

I agree with many such as Skywise and Emerald that there are some who get way too excited and place expectations on announcements that really weren't given to us. I have even done that before in the past.

The thing that keeps standing out to me is how does all this "hype" really benefit him? I think he hypes so much because of what I've said in many threads in the past. He is all about reaching that very casual fan. That is how he has put up enormous numbers. One of my good friends, who is a big music fan, actually did not even know Garth announced he was playing Notre Dame when I talked to him a few minutes ago. Another good friend just happened to see it on Twitter. I think these are the people Garth is trying to reach, NOT US! He wants to reach that really casual fan and pull them into the excitement.

I think what happens way too often is Garth talks in the "hype" language to get the attention of that casual fan and the hardcore folks like us have a tendency to read WAY TOO MUCH into it. As Emerald said earlier, there is no way anyone should actually believe insane talk like it being better than playing on the moon. Of course, Garth said it. No denying that. I think I'm the one that saw the interview and brought it to the board, but a statement like that is just full of crap and obviously the hype machine in full effect.

Outside of this board, no one hangs on every word that he says. Garth is having to fight to get radio play and is trying to get the attention of younger listeners which I believe is a HUGE REASON for this college stadium tour. It's all part of the master plan.

I do think the disappointment is partly on us for being overexcited, but I don't think Garth is completely innocent. He clearly talks in "historic, big, never been done before in history" language. The older I get the less I am a fan of this. I think it is cool to do big, historic things, but just do them and we will all see it.

Long story short, although the announcement itself was a big dud in my opinion, we do have a tour coming. We also have a live album, Anthology series, Diamond Series and a new album all on the way. It is an exciting time to be a fan.

I think what I'm planning to do is not really be excited until he actually MAKES the announcement. It is kind of pointless to be excited about anything he says until that happens. He is going to do everything on HIS TIME TABLE and part of that is making sure the "hype" on it has officially been beaten into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Inman View Post
    That makes total sense. Good catch. Wed. night before Thanksgiving would be a good time to show that if it was to happen.

Maybe we've all missed the point. This is not Garth of the 90s. To him, this is worth all they hype. Just not to us.

I think the slight problem too is the delay of the announcements, saying an announcement will be announced on a particular date, then nothing. Then giving a later date. Then nothing, then giving a later date, then nothing, etc etc etc.

Also it was like half an announcement, The show was announced, (no date ) with further dates to be announced later.

He also said on his interview that the announcement will be BOTH about music and touring.

Anyway, we do have a lot to look forward too, but for the first time in Garths career, Im over the announcement thing and the build up to an announcement.

Just looking forward to the live album. new album etc etc etc.

Let me add, Im as guilty as heck as getting too excited and hyping things up, in saying that, since December last year, Garth went overboard with talking about it, and putting the announcements off regularly.

Anyway I was thinking what his truly big announcements were of his career, imho they're.

World tour 1994
    Central Park 1997
    Chris Gaines 1999
    Retirement 1999
    Wynn 2009
    Coming out of retirement 2014
    Ghost Tunes 2014
    Yankee Stadium 2016

I agree with someone said. I don't know at this point why he even makes announcements anymore, just do it.

Anyway I was thinking what his truly big announcements were of his career, imho they're.

World tour 1994
    Central Park 1997
    Chris Gaines 1999
    Retirement 1999
    Wynn 2009
    Ghost Tunes 2014
    Yankee Stadium 2016
    I would count Mercedes Benz Stadium, too.

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    2007. Ultimate Hits album

Yes, being just his second great hits CD! Always a milestone!

World tour 1994
    Central Park 1997
    Chris Gaines 1999
    Retirement 1999
    Wynn 2009
    Ghost Tunes 2014
    Yankee Stadium 2016
    Funny that you bring this up because I was thinking about this myself. It is very subjective as to what people think are "big" announcements, but for me they fall into a couple of categories.

Call me old fashioned, but I always feel like product announcements are a big deal. Whether it is a new album, box set, or whatever. When we get new product I think it is worth some hype.

The second area I feel like is worthy of the "big" label are tours and special event shows. Since he's really only done 4 major tours, and about to embark upon a 5th that is a pretty big deal. I would also include Wynn as a part of this type of announcement.

Special event shows would include things like Texas Stadium, Ireland, Central Park, Coast to Coast shows, 7 Diamond Celebration, Ryman, Mercedez Benz Stadium, Yankee Stadium etc. This is obviously not an exhaustive list, but you get the idea.

And of course, the retirement/comeback announcements would be huge.

That is why I think this announcement was disappointing is I think we were all led to believe (and I don't think it was us overhyping) that we were getting a tour announcement, but instead we got the announcement of one special show without any info - NOT EVEN THE DATE!

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    If MBS is included, Notre Dame must be too. This one has bigger implications historically and the direction of his career.

+ Reply to Thread