+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Songs that I hope make the live anthology

Songs that I hope make the live anthology

When Garth releases this new live album/anthology, there are several songs that I’d like to hear.

“In Another’s Eyes” - It was his first hit duet with Trisha, and it shouldn’t have been omitted from Double Live, although “Wild as the Wind” was a good song.

“What She’s Doing Now” - I just love the emotion he puts into the song, and it was the biggest hit from RTW, staying at number one for four weeks.

“American Pie” - Yes, I know it’s a cover. But he does it so well. That version from Croke Park was awesome.

“When You Come Back to Me Again”. - Taken from the 2001 Coast to Coast show that he performed on the deck of the USS Enterprise, it was a very moving performance, and one of the highlights of that concert.

“Ask Me How I Know” - I don’t see why he wouldn’t include this one.

I personally would like to hear the live versions of all his hits along with covers of Seger, Whitley, James Taylor, King George, etc. That’s why I am hoping for an anthology rather than another live album.

American Pie and In Another's Eyes were already released in the Ultimate Collection boxed set in 2016. When You Come Back to Me Again and What's She Doing Now, however, would be great additions to the Anthology, which he said will focus more on the pre-retirement tours. I personally would also like to have a truly live version of "The Old Stuff" and "Wild Horses."

As for the new live album, I expect we'll get most of the regulars that were played on the 2014-2017 tour, along with Cold Like That, People Loving People, All-American Kid, Mom, Tacoma, Fishin' in the Dark, BLLDAD, and Ask Me How I Know. I wouldn't complain if he included the Ryman performance of Whiskey to Wine, and one of his live covers of Amarillo by Morning too.

What I would want more than anything, though, is a bonus disc full of all the best Housekeeping moments. Unfortunately, I seriously doubt he'd ever do that.

My hope is that the album is not like "Double Live". Don't get me wrong, I love that record, but a couple of things always drove me nuts. One was that the songs weren't really live. I hated the little intros he made to "We Shall Be Free" and "The River". You can also tell it was just overproduced (and the production was also inconsistent. There were a few just lifted straight off TV specials while others were actually a little more "live" sounding.)

The other thing that I always hated is it was basically a greatest hits album with crowd noise. I wish it had been sequenced like a real show with even some of the banter to the crowd. Give us a show. Not the songs with some crowd noise.

I hope the album is sequenced like a show, that it is primarily live (not overproduced). I do hope there are some songs thrown in there that are a little more rare. We do know for sure that "Tacoma" and "Fishin' in the Dark" were recorded for the album because he said so himself. We also know that there were several other songs he played a couple of times like "All American Kid", "Cold Like That", "Whiskey To Wine", etc. that if we are lucky make their way onto the album.

Although I don't think this will happen what I would love to see is it be three discs (Triple Live) and the first two be a show pretty much sequenced like it was on the tour. Then I'd like to see a third disc with songs that were played/recorded live, but weren't a regular part of the set. Of course, in an ideal world some of the house keeping stuff would wind up on the disc, but I think the chance of that happening is about as high as him hand delivering me a copy on release day.

As far as the Anthology is concerned, in a dream world I would love there to be a DVD of an unedited Ropin' The Wind show, World Tour I, World Tour II and this comeback tour. The comeback discs could have Yankee Stadium, Vegas and The Ryman. I'd also love the CDs to contain lots of the rarer songs he has played live. "What She's Doing Now" used to be played with a full band as well as things like "Wild Horses", "Face To Face", "The Old Stuff" and "We're An American Band".

Do I think we will get all of this, probably not. Can I dream that we do? Absolutely, until I find out otherwise HA!
    Last edited by rhd13; 05-24-2018 at 04:17 PM.

In terms of the Live Anthology it has to contain footage/recordings that have never been released before.
    If it hasnt been on a previously released tv special or boxset, then Im going to be thrilled.

To me thats what its all about, something I have never heard or watched before.

For the americans here, I think it would be great for all of you to see a side of Garth, you havent seen before, his 1994 NewZealand concert was pretty much R rated, in terms of the conversations he had with the crowd and band members, Im guessing his european shows and australia shows in 1994 were the same.

If not maybe he can put footage of americans shows that were never on tv, not just the usual, This is Garth Brooks, this is garth brooks 2, Central park, Ireleand and back, coast to coast, Yankee stadium, wynn vegas.

I would love Amarillo By Morning with Jimmy and him!
    I always wanted cuts from talk shows too, stuff from Leno, Ellen etc etc.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    My hope is that the album is not like "Double Live". Don't get me wrong, I love that record, but a couple of things always drove me nuts. One was that the songs weren't really live. I hated the little intros he made to "We Shall Be Free" and "The River". You can also tell it was just overproduced (and the production was also inconsistent. There were a few just lifted straight off TV specials while others were actually a little more "live" sounding.)
    Now I'll fully admit to not having listened CLOSELY to the DL album in a while but if memory serves, with few exceptions and the overproduced crap (already mentioned) I think MOST of the live songs ended up being from TIGB, TIGB2, TI&B,the C2C2C specials... the mass produced things... hopefully that changes.. Garth's honestly the most insecure person about live music. His protests about live quality, and imperfections, etc. are childish and honestly, almost idiotic. What he abhors and doesn't want to show is exactly the type of recording/TRUE example of the garth live 'experiences' that people WANT..

The other thing that I always hated is it was basically a greatest hits album with crowd noise.
    when it comes right down to it, that's exactly all it was. GH "live".. just a collection of the same old songs, but the 'live versions' . there was none of the interaction with the fans, etc. none of the intros, none of the truly LIVE parts..

I wish it had been sequenced like a real show with even some of the banter to the crowd. Give us a show. Not the songs with some crowd noise.
    AMEN!!
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I kind of expressed this above, but I do have concerns about both of these projects. I believe the potential is there for the new live album and the live anthology to be absolutely epic. That is why I hope we aren't disappointed.

For the live album, I understand that it HAS TO contain many of the same songs as Double Live. I really have no problem with that. I just hope it contains more. As I said above, give us some of those rarer played tunes. I'm not expecting house cleaning because he's already said that isn't happening, but I want those songs that he and the band played a few times that weren't always a part of the set. In several of those cases it appears they were played live specifically for the new album. Let's hope. Oh yeah, and sequence it more like an actual concert.

For the Anthology, this is where my hopes go through the roof. I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't a little scared that we get a lot of stuff rehashed. If there are many CDs at all in the thing it seems like it has to feature lots of stuff from earlier tours that never get played anymore. I think what I'm more interested in is the DVDs which I assume have to be a part of the set. Please don't rehash TIGB, TIGB2, Central Park and Ireland. That is my big fear. The ONLY THING that would make these interesting in any way is if they are the full shows completely uncut. Central Park is the only one that saw the whole show actually get released at one point (on VHS). The other three have never been completely released so that could be neat, but at the same time, that leaves A LOT of stuff we've all already gotten and seen a million times.

I think a full show on DVD from the Ropin' The Wind tour in '91, the 1st world tour in '94-'95, the 2nd world tour '96-'98, something from the comeback (maybe Yankee Stadium and Vegas) and the Ryman show would be a mind-blowing set of DVDs. It would also have to be some different songs in there just because of time period. As I said before, years ago, I would give anything to see a version of "We're An American Band" which he ended at least some of the World Tour I shows with because I saw it with my own eyes. That's the kind of stuff that would be so cool to see.

I'm hoping he surprises us and blows our mind with this set. The potential is there. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by rhd13; 05-26-2018 at 09:48 AM.

I just want it to include some of the non-singles. I think it should mostly be the material from Scarecrow foreward with a few staples like The Dance and FILP included. Hopefully a new song, ala It's Your Song, mixed in as well.

I kind of expressed this above, but I do have concerns about both of these projects. I believe the potential is there for the new live album and the live anthology to be absolutely epic. That is why I hope we aren't disappointed.

For the live album, I understand that it HAS TO contain many of the same songs as Double Live. I really have no problem with that. I just hope it contains more. As I said above, give us some of those rarer played tunes. I'm not expecting house cleaning because he's already said that isn't happening, but I want those songs that he and the band played a few times that weren't always a part of the set. In several of those cases it appears they were played live specifically for the new album. Let's hope. Oh yeah, and sequence it more like an actual concert.

For the Anthology, this is where my hopes go through the roof. I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't a little scared that we get a lot of stuff rehashed. If there are many CDs at all in the thing it seems like it has to feature lots of stuff from earlier tours that never get played anymore. I think what I'm more interested in is the DVDs which I assume have to be a part of the set. Please don't rehash TIGB, TIGB2, Central Park and Ireland. That is my big fear. The ONLY THING that would make these interesting in any way is if they are the full shows completely uncut. Central Park is the only one that saw the whole show actually get released at one point (on VHS). The other three have never been completely released so that could be neat, but at the same time, that leaves A LOT of stuff we've all already gotten and seen a million times.

I think a full show on DVD from the Ropin' The Wind tour in '91, the 1st world tour in '94-'95, the 2nd world tour '96-'98, something from the comeback (maybe Yankee Stadium and Vegas) and the Ryman show would be a mind-blowing set of DVDs. It would also have to be some different songs in there just because of time period. As I said before, years ago, I would give anything to see a version of "We're An American Band" which he ended at least some of the World Tour I shows with because I saw it with my own eyes. That's the kind of stuff that would be so cool to see.

I'm hoping he surprises us and blows our mind with this set. The potential is there. Fingers crossed.
    Anthology HAS to have stuff we havent seen before. Has to be Live footage of concerts that NEVER actually aired, has to be the rare of the rare, if Garth just dumps his TV specials in another boxset, that would
    be criminal in my mind.

I actually have Hope, that we will be thrilled with the live anthology that it will blow our minds!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    For the americans here, I think it would be great for all of you to see a side of Garth, you havent seen before, his 1994 NewZealand concert was pretty much R rated, in terms of the conversations he had with the crowd and band members, Im guessing his european shows and australia shows in 1994 were the same.
    Can you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by themusicuni View Post
    Can you elaborate?
    I guess two pieces of the concert come to mind, while he was sharing a joke with his mike palmer, he dropped the
    F Bomb, the crowd went "Whooooooo" and he dropped again and just started laughing.

Then when he was talking to the crowd about how he used to play for tips he said something along the lines,
    I played for money, that kinda makes me a Sl*ut, but ya'all here too, so I guess you guys are Sl*uts also.

It was very lighty hearted, people started throwing money on stage when he said it, he really cracked up at that.

Best Garth show I have been to, very raw on stage, even though it was extremely short concert, 75 minutes, 16 songs, still the best concert by far.

Just 5000 people crammed into a circus like tent, leaning against the stage, going crazy.

I guess two pieces of the concert come to mind, while he was sharing a joke with his mike palmer, he dropped the
    F Bomb, the crowd went "Whooooooo" and he dropped again and just started laughing.

Then when he was talking to the crowd about how he used to play for tips he said something along the lines,
    I played for money, that kinda makes me a Sl*ut, but ya'all here too, so I guess you guys are Sl*uts also.

It was very lighty hearted, people started throwing money on stage when he said it, he really cracked up at that.

Best Garth show I have been to, very raw on stage, even though it was extremely short concert, 75 minutes, 16 songs, still the best concert by far.

Just 5000 people crammed into a circus like tent, leaning against the stage, going crazy.
    Interesting... Surprised he did this on stage. It would be cool to see this show!

Seems like I missed him dropping it first night of Fresno, but the audience didn't react, so I don't think he said it. lol

Quote Originally Posted by themusicuni View Post
    Interesting... Surprised he did this on stage. It would be cool to see this show!

Seems like I missed him dropping it first night of Fresno, but the audience didn't react, so I don't think he said it. lol
    The show itself was filmed, like all his overseas shows in 1994, so the footage must be there. I only wish he releases it.

He dropped the F bomb at the Kansas City show at the end. He said a lot of artists pass KC up and they are making a huge fu*king mistake. I was stunned he dropped the F bomb but felt like it was also awesome at the same time. I think Garth cusses off the stage lol

Garth has a chance to make the live anthology awesome but we all know he won’t. Garth does not make things for the die hard fans he makes it for the avg fan. What I expect is him to release the book with pics from early shows and etc. as far as the DVD/CD’s I expect him to have the Yankee stadium concert included and a few new songs but nothing earth shattering.

What I would flip out for
    He could do it from the start and have a copy of the early years CD. This was the one recorded at willies and was mostly covers. It would start off live from the start
    DVD of early shows leading up to this is Garth brooks. This is rare videos of him at county fairs and early stuff.
    CD of all the covers he does in the encore. Amarillo by morning, American pie, race is on and please please girl going nowhere. This would please the die hard fan.
    No last tour stuff a lot of early stuff. I want him to talk about being on the road, the struggles and the good. Inside stuff

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    Garth has a chance to make the live anthology awesome but we all know he won’t. Garth does not make things for the die hard fans he makes it for the avg fan. What I expect is him to release the book with pics from early shows and etc. as far as the DVD/CD’s I expect him to have the Yankee stadium concert included and a few new songs but nothing earth shattering.

What I would flip out for
    He could do it from the start and have a copy of the early years CD. This was the one recorded at willies and was mostly covers. It would start off live from the start
    DVD of early shows leading up to this is Garth brooks. This is rare videos of him at county fairs and early stuff.
    CD of all the covers he does in the encore. Amarillo by morning, American pie, race is on and please please girl going nowhere. This would please the die hard fan.
    No last tour stuff a lot of early stuff. I want him to talk about being on the road, the struggles and the good. Inside stuff
    That would be a perfect live anthology.

I know I'm mostly alone on this one. It disappoints me that he would drop F-bombs at any of his concerts. I realize that a lot of you think it's cool and many of you think I need to "grow up", but let me tell you, Garth isn't like a lot of other artists. I'm saying he isn't one of those filthy crappers or rock stars. His music crosses boundaries. Many people bring their younger children to his concerts. He attracts a lot of seniors as well. It's not just him either. It's society in general. Once upon a time, it was frowned upon to curse in front of women and children. Obviously, we don't live in "Once upon a time" anymore. I noticed it in the Anthology book as well. My first thought was that a certain number of children would read that book. Well, there's my two cents on the subject, even if a bit off subject.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBarton View Post
    I know I'm mostly alone on this one. It disappoints me that he would drop F-bombs at any of his concerts. I realize that a lot of you think it's cool and many of you think I need to "grow up", but let me tell you, Garth isn't like a lot of other artists. I'm saying he isn't one of those filthy crappers or rock stars. His music crosses boundaries. Many people bring their younger children to his concerts. He attracts a lot of seniors as well. It's not just him either. It's society in general. Once upon a time, it was frowned upon to curse in front of women and children. Obviously, we don't live in "Once upon a time" anymore. I noticed it in the Anthology book as well. My first thought was that a certain number of children would read that book. Well, there's my two cents on the subject, even if a bit off subject.
    You're not alone on this one...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBarton View Post
    For me in 1994, It wasnt for the fact I thought it was cool, it just it showed another side of Garth. Back then, the only time Garth had been on TV here was when they showed his "This is Garth Brooks" TV special, so it was unexpected, going
    to the concert people had no idea, that he was very funny in concerts, that he talked to the crowd a lot, and that some of his banter may be R rated, it just showed many factors of his personality, so ya had that side of Garth in the concert, then
    he pulled up a stool sat down and sang Unanswered Prayers and the cowboy song.

I feel now since everybodys got cell phones hes on his best behavior, knowing every word, every moment will be filmed. Back in 1994 it wasnt a issue. Also here in NewZealand we are a little rough around the edges as they say, so it wasnt to
    shocking.

Each to their own I guess.

Heres the thing about the Live anthology, its not just a box set. Its not just repackaged material, its not a record label trying to make money. Its an music artist's autobiography, its
    the artist chance to be real and tell their story, its not just suppose to be doing promo on the kimmel show, its a Historical document as far as Im concert and Garth doesnt get a second
    chance to tell it.

I dont expect tabloid BS, but I do expect it to be on a different level than what aired on his tv specials.

My take on the GB and the F-bomb:

I have been to numerous rock concerts over the years. Nickelback, for example, uses the F-word at least three times in every sentence. Dabid Lee Roth was not far behind. Youtube a Foo fighters concert and you will see Dave Grohl drop about 150 per show. It's not for effect, its just "part" of their language.

If Garth tosses one out every so often to achieve and "effect", I'm ok with it.

Some of you are much more confident than I am that the Live Anthology stuff is going to be mostly new. I hope you are right, but it would not surprise me if we get TIGB, TIGB2, Central Park & Ireland as the DVD portion. I’ve never wanted to be more wrong.

Some of you are much more confident than I am that the Live Anthology stuff is going to be mostly new. I hope you are right, but it would not surprise me if we get TIGB, TIGB2, Central Park & Ireland as the DVD portion. I’ve never wanted to be more wrong.
    He might as well release "The Entertainer boxset"

I think though he will knock it out of the park for the live anthology.

He might as well release "The Entertainer boxset"

I think though he will knock it out of the park for the live anthology.
    I guess that is my point. It won't surprise me if the the 4 concert DVDs from The Entertainer make up a part of the Live Anthology. It's not like he hasn't rehashed a lot of stuff for his box sets.

The Limited Series - 6 new songs (out of 66 total)

The Limited Series - 11 new songs (out of 62 total) - not counting horrible DVD with that set

BIAOMR - 43 new songs (out of 78 total) - plus Wynn DVD

Ultimate Collection - 18 new songs (out of 121 total)

Anthology: First Five Years - 19 new songs (out of 52)

Not counting DVDs in the sets that means that out of 5 box sets we have gotten 97 "new" songs (new or unreleased) out of 379 tracks. That is about 25% of the material in those boxes. If you remove BIAOMR, which was kind of a unique box with 4 discs of brand new material, you get about 18% of the stuff released in the boxes are new. My point is the track record of these boxes containing tons of new stuff has just simply not been the case.

As far as the DVDs that he has released in some of the sets here are my thoughts:

- Limited Series - The DVD that came with the 2nd Limited Series was so uninteresting I don't even count it. HA! I watched it the one time when I bought the set and have never opened it again.

- Ultimate Hits - It was cool to have all of his videos in one place, but if I remember correctly almost all of it was pulled from live specials that we all have (with the exception of his few real music videos). I haven't watched that in ages, but if memory serves there were only two truly new videos on there - "Learning To Live Again" and "In Another's Eyes".

- Wynn DVD - To me the truly GREAT DVD he has released is the Wynn DVD. I've watched it over and over again. It's just the show. Not a bunch of edits, at least that I am aware of. It's just a full show played out which is what I always want.

The Entertainer Box Set - This set could have been great, but it was tinkered with so much I ended up being really disappointed. TIGB & Central Park removed 2 songs from the specials and put them in the bonus content. If that wasn't bad enough the Central Park show actually edited 2 other songs out completely. (Hey Garth, removing songs from a show and putting them in bonus content doesn't make them "bonus" content.) If I watch either of these shows I watch what I recorded off TV and put on DVD. That is better than the insane edits. The Ireland show is the entire Ireland portion of the original special, but only 2 songs appear from the "and Back" part in the bonus content. The Texas Stadium one does contain 6 new tracks, but again, 2 of them are in bonus content removed from the show and one of the 6 is the "Callin' Baton Rouge" video. Point being when you count the stuff removed from the shows the few real bonus things on here makes it about a wash.

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but I have gotten so hyped for some of these releases only to be disappointed again and again. The potential is always there for these things to be amazing, but for the most part, Garth has a pattern of rehashing things over and over again in these sets. They typically haven't been for the hardcore fan, but for the most casual fan who doesn't already have everything (or anything for that matter). Most of them are kind of "one stop shop" kind of sets. If you are a casual fan you can buy a HUGE portion of what you might want in one purchase (and Garth can crank up his RIAA numbers in one swoop). Even BIAOMR was kind of like that. Even though it was tons of new stuff he kind of advertised it as loosely based on his WYNN show so those who liked what he did could have it all in one purchase.

I agree that the potential for these Anthology sets to be amazing is there. The first one was pretty good and had 19 unreleased tracks. I still stand by my thought that only 19 new tracks out of 52 is still too heavily reliant on "the old stuff" and I'm realistic enough that I don't expect that ratio to change. I'd say if we get that much new stuff for each volume I'd be happy. Of course, I'd like to see these sets with 100% new stuff, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

I have no idea how many discs might be in the Live Anthology, but I have a gut feeling that 3 of them is going to be the new live album. What I'm wondering is what makes up the rest of the set. To me, it is this volume of the Anthology that has the potential to be basically 100% "new" stuff. If that happens I will gladly say those of you who said it would be awesome were right and I will gladly eat my plate of crow. HA!

I actually don't expect too much new stuff to be included in the Live Anthology. He already said that the Live Anthology volume would focus mostly on the first two World Tours in the 90's. And that this latest tour would be covered in the post-retirement volume. And as others have pointed out, the Anthology is Garth's autobiography of sort. So I fully expect the video portion of the book to rehash Double Live and the TV Specials. And from a "documenting history" perspective, I'm actually okay with that. It could be cool and worthy of re-purchase if the old DVDs were all remastered in hi-def or 4K, which I expect will be the case. Another thing I'd like to see is a CD or DVD/Blu-ray of an old concert from the very early pre-world tour days. That said, I'm still not convinced that this book will have any video discs included. I still think that part of the coming announcement will be that he's partnered with YouTube's subscription service and that all the video content from the Anthology will be on that, and that there will some deal where you get a 6 month subscription if you buy the book, and/or that if you buy a subscription you get the book. I'm sure the book will have some CDs (rehashes of Double Live and The Road) to help boost RIAA numbers, though.

As for the new Live Album, I see that as something completely different and separate from the Anthology. I see it as being comprised of just post-retirement stuff, whereas I see the Anthology as covering only pre-retirement material. As such, I would be shocked if it's included in the book. Same with the Yankee Stadium, Ryman, or Vegas concerts. I just don't see those being part of the book at all, but instead being released in connection with the new live album in some sort of fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    I actually don't expect too much new stuff to be included in the Live Anthology. He already said that the Live Anthology volume would focus mostly on the first two World Tours in the 90's. And that this latest tour would be covered in the post-retirement volume. And as others have pointed out, the Anthology is Garth's autobiography of sort. So I fully expect the video portion of the book to rehash Double Live and the TV Specials. And from a "documenting history" perspective, I'm actually okay with that. It could be cool and worthy of re-purchase if the old DVDs were all remastered in hi-def or 4K, which I expect will be the case. Another thing I'd like to see is a CD or DVD/Blu-ray of an old concert from the very early pre-world tour days. That said, I'm still not convinced that this book will have any video discs included. I still think that part of the coming announcement will be that he's partnered with YouTube's subscription service and that all the video content from the Anthology will be on that, and that there will some deal where you get a 6 month subscription if you buy the book, and/or that if you buy a subscription you get the book. I'm sure the book will have some CDs (rehashes of Double Live and The Road) to help boost RIAA numbers, though.

As for the new Live Album, I see that as something completely different and separate from the Anthology. I see it as being comprised of just post-retirement stuff, whereas I see the Anthology as covering only pre-retirement material. As such, I would be shocked if it's included in the book. Same with the Yankee Stadium, Ryman, or Vegas concerts. I just don't see those being part of the book at all, but instead being released in connection with the new live album in some sort of fashion.
    As always, interesting points Emerald. We shall see sometime this year I would assume.

I will say that I would actually be OK with the TV specials included IF, and only IF, they are complete and potentially have real bonus footage (not songs shaved off the main track list and put in the bonus features). With the exception of Central Park I feel pretty certain that TIGB, TIGB2 and Ireland and Back DO NOT include the entire shows performed on those evenings. One has to assume they actually taped everything those nights so there could be extended versions/edits of those shows. I would actually be quite thrilled with that believe it or not.

I feel pretty sure there were probably other songs recorded for Double Live that didn't make the final cut as well. How about give us some of those?

If he released all of these previously released things in their entirety, with real bonus content, that would actually be really cool and a great way to document those 90s tours. Don't get me wrong. I WOULD LOVE stuff we have never heard/seen, but giving us more complete versions of what we have could be a really cool way to celebrate the past yet give us something new.
    Last edited by rhd13; 05-29-2018 at 12:10 PM.

As always, interesting points Emerald. We shall see sometime this year I would assume.

I will say that I would actually be OK with the TV specials included IF, and only IF, they are complete and potentially have real bonus footage (not songs shaved off the main track list and put in the bonus features). With the exception of Central Park I feel pretty certain that TIGB, TIGB2 and Ireland and Back DO NOT include the entire shows performed on those evenings. One has to assume they actually taped everything those nights so there could be extended versions/edits of those shows. I would actually be quite thrilled with that believe it or not.

I feel pretty sure there were probably other songs recorded for Double Live that didn't make the final cut as well. How about give us some of those?

If he released all of these previously released things in their entirety, with real bonus content, that would actually be really cool and a great way to document those 90s tours. Don't get me wrong. I WOULD LOVE stuff we have never heard/seen, but giving us more complete versions of what we have could be a really cool way to celebrate the past yet give us something new.
    Yeah, hopefully there will be some stuff we hadn't heard before. For example, I would really like to get a truly live version of "The Old Stuff" and a few of the other songs he used to sing but got shuffled out of the setlists once more albums came along. Complete shows of the specials would be incredibly awesome except that, if he did do that, he'd unfortunately feel compelled to "fix" and "doctor" up the previously unreleased parts---you know, to represent country music well. (facepalm)! But what that would entail is 2018 Garth singing over 1993 or 1997 Garth, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. Another question is whether the few during-retirement shows and performances would be considered pre or post retirement for purposes of the Anthology and the Live album.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Yeah, hopefully there will be some stuff we hadn't heard before. For example, I would really like to get a truly live version of "The Old Stuff" and a few of the other songs he used to sing but got shuffled out of the setlists once more albums came along. Complete shows of the specials would be incredibly awesome except that, if he did do that, he'd unfortunately feel compelled to "fix" and "doctor" up the previously unreleased parts---you know, to represent country music well. (facepalm)! But what that would entail is 2018 Garth singing over 1993 or 1997 Garth, and I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. Another question is whether the few during-retirement shows and performances would be considered pre or post retirement for purposes of the Anthology and the Live album.
    A live version of "The Old Stuff" would be awesome! I'd really like to have that on DVD and it actually show him coming up through the piano. In the Ireland special they edited it in a way where it did not show that.

As far as him "fixing" or "doctoring" the old shows, I know exactly what you mean. However, I think it is entirely possible that if they recorded those shows some of that work might have been done already. The reason I say that is on The Entertainer box set the "new" tracks (there were 5 I believe) obviously had had the same kind of production done on them as the original songs aired on the TV special. It all sounded the same. Who knows what he might have in "the vault". Plus, with today's technology they might could do some overdubbing or mixing to "fix" whatever he needs fixed and it not be really that noticeable. Who knows? I just so desperately want the Anthology, particularly the live chapter, to be excellent. I know the potential is there for it I'm just nervous that it won't be. We shall see soon.

Again for me, it has to be more of a doco style anthology, I would love doco style footage in it. Like stuff that, "Crazy Duck Productions" put on the web around 2007/2008, that showed concert footage from his early 90's, that was
    not taken from his tv specials. The only video that I could find now , (and i uploaded it to youtube) last year, was the alternative video of the dance. When he sings it rock style in rehearsal. But they did a lot more videos.
    I hope its footage like that. Every show he did outside the USA in 1994 was filmed. Even if they dont show those, he must have a ton of footage.

I like the idea of HD footage of his tv specials. Again this cant just be another boxset. It has to be, it just has to be special.

I'll buy it if I can get it at the same price that the first volume was but I pray we don't get any rehashes from Double Live/The Road. I hope they are new (or unreleased performances) because to be frank the sound quality on Double Live is rather subpar IMO.

And I hope he invests in some legit 5.1 surround sound for the DVD portion of it because the surround on The Entertainer set is laughable.

+ Reply to Thread