+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Another Article About the Canceled Croke Park Shows

Another Article About the Canceled Croke Park Shows

This was quite the article, especially since Planet Garth was mentioned twice.

https://www.joe.ie/music/five-none-g...rtbreak-623158

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Thanks so much for posting this. I have not finished it, but had to comment on this part. It says, "licensing five shows in a row, three of them on weekdays, would lead to an unacceptable level of disruption to their lives/livelihoods over an unprecedented and prolonged period." That is just comical. Think about this, 5 DAYS = "an unprecedented and prolonged period." 5 DAYS. New Orleans had to put up pedestrian walls and close down Bourbon Street to cars for over a year to do repairs, but 5 DAYS in a tiny area of Dublin is prolonged. LOL

Add: "Illegal Parking & Antisocial Behaviour." Two things that Garth fans are famous for.
    Last edited by SoCalGarthFan; 04-22-2018 at 02:51 PM.

I guess I probably have the unpopular opinion here, but to me this whole thing is quite simple. Aiken Promotions booked Garth without getting the necessary licenses for the 5 nights. As a matter of fact, according to the article the agreement is they (Croke Park) can have three shows a year and they had already had those three shows. Aiken came along and didn't do their due diligence and kept selling shows. The community actually relented and were going to allow three shows, three more over the agreement that is made. It sounds to me they had the legal right to squash them all but didn't.

I just don't think it is fair to blame the people who live in that community. An agreement was made that three shows a year can be had. If I lived in that community and that number went from 3 to 8 without any explanation I'd be upset too.

The blame should go on Aiken and those who booked these shows, put these shows on sale, and did not have the legal paperwork in place to do so. To me that just sounds stupid and irresponsible. Garth was put in a tough situation, and I understand why he said five or none. The reality is that should have never happened though. If someone had done their work and due diligence this whole fiasco could have been avoided.

Seriously though, why did he have to do 5? What not just 1? Yes, he likes to sell out as many as he can everywhere and reach as many fans as he can and he was wanting to kick off his world tour. But this wasn't a normal thing. He talked about wanting to have an Elvis moment in his press conference about it. This could have been a real special thing for him and for us as fans. He only did one concert at the new Atlanta Falcons arena.

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Seriously though, why did he have to do 5? What not just 1? Yes, he likes to sell out as many as he can everywhere and reach as many fans as he can and he was wanting to kick off his world tour. But this wasn't a normal thing. He talked about wanting to have an Elvis moment in his press conference about it. This could have been a real special thing for him and for us as fans. He only did one concert at the new Atlanta Falcons arena.
    I think it is fair question to ask why he didn't just do one. My guess is after they had already sold tickets to five he figured if he held his ground they would relent. I do believe he really didn't want any fans with tickets in hand not to be able to go.

I think he only did one night in Atlanta because that is all he could sell out. (Let's be real. It's not like selling out one stadium show is a failure especially when you've saturated the country with shows.) Remember he had done 7 sold out shows in Atlanta in 2014 (only three years earlier) and the prices for the good seats were significantly higher, as high as $250-$300, and that was face value NOT scalped or resell. Despite a stage in the round with ramps it was the same thing. I know I was there. Actually, the setlist was shorter than a normal show.

I also figure someone will mention that Aiken Promotions said that they did this show just like any other show (evidently without getting all the paperwork done?). I just have trouble buying that. I think this was a unique scenario. You had the 3 shows for the year already at the stadium and you don't go to check and see if you can get permission to do 5 or more shows? Hard for me to believe that. I don't see how you don't double check to see if you can go over the agreed upon limit that had been put in place.

Great article, loved reading it, probably one of the most well written article I have read on the whole Ireland situation.

I had a ticket for the Saturday, paid for hotel and ferry to take car over. I went to Ireland anyway but it was a huge disappointment.

Isn't the stadium management most to blame? Seems criminal to agree to dates that go against rules in place.

Also rules can change so if I didn't want disruption I wouldn't buy a house near a stadium.

Next time Garth should do Old Trafford, which is bigger anyway and is just round the corner from me.

Sorry am I mistaken, did I miss a part of the article. Didnt they say Garth could do a Matinee to fit five shows in three days, and Garth said he doesnt do matinees?

This article can confirm one thing for me, Garth will never tour outside North American.

Quote Originally Posted by n_s_simpson View Post

Also rules can change so if I didn't want disruption I wouldn't buy a house near a stadium.
    I know nothing about the politics of Ireland and I know nothing about Gaelic football. However, I assume that there is a season of Gaelic football and that there are dozens of events held at the stadium throughout the year. I suspect anyone that lives near a stadium expects there to be a reasonable amount of events held at it. However, if it has been negotiated and there are city ordinances/laws on the books concerning how many events can be held at a particular stadium I think it is reasonable and fair to have an expectation that those ordinances/laws be followed if you live there. When you consider that the community was going to allow three shows to take place (which is already twice as many as they are supposed to have) that seems to me the people of the neighborhood were being reasonable.

I just think it is unfair to paint the people of the neighborhood as the bad guys here because they expect the ordinances/laws put in place in their neighborhood to be followed. I would expect that if I lived there.

Again, maybe I'm missing something and don't understand the situation, but I can understand their frustration.
    Last edited by rhd13; 04-22-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I know nothing about the politics of Ireland and I know nothing about Gaelic football. However, I assume that there is a season of Gaelic football and that there are dozens of events held at the stadium throughout the year. I suspect anyone that lives near a stadium expects there to be a reasonable amount of events held at it. However, if it has been negotiated and there are city ordinances/laws on the books concerning how many events can be held at a particular stadium I think it is reasonable and fair to have an expectation that those ordinances/laws be followed if you live there. When you consider that the community was going to allow three shows to take place (which is already twice as many as they are supposed to have) that seems to me the people of the neighborhood were being reasonable.

I just think it is unfair to paint the people of the neighborhood as the bad guys here because they expect the ordinances/laws put in place in their neighborhood to be followed. I would expect that if I lived there.

Again, maybe I'm missing something and don't understand the situation, but I can understand their frustration.
    And what if they lived there first? Where I live in Arlington, Tx., there has been two Major League ballparks built and the huge Cowboys stadium just in the last 20 years. There are people in those ares who have lived there for more than 40 who were forced to sell their homes for these venues. They did receive nice compensation. But they didn't want to move.

Very well written. Still, I think it was a major cluster..... You know.

Alot of blame was being put onto Garth at the time which was very unfair. It was the Dublin City Council that was at fault. They initially gave the go ahead for the five concerts saying there may be issues with the local residents. They knew there would be issues because they were out complaining in 2009 when there was four concerts. Their issue wasn't with concerts, they had a gripe with Croke Park because they weren't getting a bar in new facility that was being built. Of course they were going all out with double the concerts being put on. As for the three concert limit, as far as I know, it's three guaranteed concerts per year but a planning application has to be put into the council if they want to hold more. So what Aiken Promotions did was legal and everything was all above board on his part.

I hope Garth comes back. But I'm not so sure because I think he wants it all his own way i.e. everyone that wants a ticket should get a ticket. You're talking about another five concerts. There's four concerts being put on this year, so is five concerts all that much? Maybe if they put on the concerts over two weekends, to break up the disruption that the residents would be guaranteed to complain about.

I don’t think Garth plans on doing a overseas tour. He does not need to and the foreign press treated him like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    I don’t think Garth plans on doing a overseas tour. He does not need to and the foreign press treated him like crap.
    He was treated well by the press here in 1994. But again if he doesnt want to tour then fair enough, but please Garth shouldnt hint that he is, he shouldnt had statement
    after statement when announcing each shows "The end of the north American LEG of the world tour"

He shouldnt drtop country names in interviews, when asked if he is going to tour overseas.

He shouldnt call his tour A World Tour, is he has no intention of touring the world, its disingenuous.

Sadly, I agree. Garth has world-wide star power. Not many country artists have that.

+ Reply to Thread