+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kinda Curious...

Kinda Curious...

I was thinking about the double sided The Chase/In Pieces 25th anniversary edition that recently came out. Someone mentioned that is was given away at some concert stops and copies have been available on ebay (including a case for $30 plus shipping). So I remember a few years ago they had albums being given away in newspapers and such. So I know that the albums can't be counted towards the music charts bUT can they we counted towards the RIAA numbers? If enough of them were given out or a set number, would it be enough to push both albums into Diamond Level? Just curious.....

Well if Amazon Music paid for a certain amount of copies to give out I would assume Pearl Records would count those copies as sold regardless of what happened to them.

Kinda like how the CD's in the Target box are all certified at 1,000,000 each when according to reports it really only sold half that at Target but they bought 1 million copies each for it's stores and the overstock was basically given away.

So if Pearl can prove Amazon bought x amount of each title then it stands to reason they can take those figures to the RIAA.

My question is since it was a 2 disc set is it considered a brand new title or will each title get half of whatever was sold?

Rather complicated

Very good point.

CER956 is right. The RIAA counts "shipments" which basically means sales from the label to the retailers (if I understand it right). It DOES NOT count how much is bought from the retail store to consumer. Therefore, if a label has proof of sales that is all it takes to get the certification. If Amazon, Wal-Mart, Target or whoever buys a certain amount you've got what you need. This is clearly why Garth has done these exclusive deals. Without a doubt he has probably required the retailer buy a certain amount to get the deal done (and get the RIAA certification).

As far as The Chase/In Pieces combo since that was a promotion and given away I don't think that can count towards sales. Now if they sold it that way I have no idea what they would do in that case. Would be interesting to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    CER956 is right. The RIAA counts "shipments" which basically means sales from the label to the retailers (if I understand it right). It DOES NOT count how much is bought from the retail store to consumer. Therefore, if a label has proof of sales that is all it takes to get the certification. If Amazon, Wal-Mart, Target or whoever buys a certain amount you've got what you need. This is clearly why Garth has done these exclusive deals. Without a doubt he has probably required the retailer buy a certain amount to get the deal done (and get the RIAA certification).

As far as The Chase/In Pieces combo since that was a promotion and given away I don't think that can count towards sales. Now if they sold it that way I have no idea what they would do in that case. Would be interesting to find out.
    I'm sure that's what happened with the Target deal, see below;
    "The plan called for a non-traditional retailer to buy at least 1 million units of the remixed and remastered No Fences.."

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...oyalty-dispute

Quote Originally Posted by CER956 View Post
    I'm sure that's what happened with the Target deal, see below;
    "The plan called for a non-traditional retailer to buy at least 1 million units of the remixed and remastered No Fences.."

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...oyalty-dispute
    That's a great article and really shows the business savvy of Garth to think outside the box and generate a lot of income on his back catalog. Wish he would be a little more savvy with his newer stuff and figure out unique ways to get into the digital/streaming world. (Amazon doesn't count HA!)

I'm glad we got the remake of "FILP". I still am a little surprised how disliked that seems to be by the board. I get the dislike, but I personally find it kind of cool.

I wonder if there was anything else planned to be on that 25th anniversary edition of No Fences?

+ Reply to Thread