Thread: What Artists Would you like to see Garth do a Tribute to

What Artists Would you like to see Garth do a Tribute to

Would love to see Garth do a tribute album of the following artists

Billy Joel
    George Strait
    Randy Travis
    Randy Newman

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Hmm... I don't see Garth doing a solo tribute album to them but I could see Garth being a part of a George Strait, Billy Joel, or Randy Travis tribute collaboration.. I know who randy newman is, but not enough of his music to know if I could see Garth doing part...

He's already been on a Dan Fogelberg and KISS tribute album so let's bypass those...

ehh, other than what you've suggested? PERHAPS mahalia Jackson, or Queen, or TY , or a reba tribute album.....
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Back in the mid to late 90s on Lon Helton's Country Countdown Garth actually talked about doing a George Strait tribute album. I know this for a fact because I heard it with my own ears and my best friend, who is a massive George Strait fan, lost his mind over it (in a good way). In the interview Garth made it sound like this was something that was probably going to happen, but obviously never did. He mentioned by name that he would like to record "80 Proof Bottle of Tear Stopper" and I believe he also mentioned other album cuts like "Blame It On Mexico" and "The Only Thing I Have Left". His point was that there were some non-single George Strait songs that he would like to put on a project like that.

I know some are going to ask for proof, but obviously I can't give you that. I do know what my best friend and I heard him talking about so I'm not making it up. That interview is the only place I ever heard him mention the potential project. It is also one of the many reasons that when Garth talks about upcoming projects I don't get too wound up because this isn't the first time he's mentioned something and it never came to fruition.

One of the things that Garth has let me down with over the years is the fact that he rarely ever takes part in "projects". Without going too deep, the two that come to mind, immediately, is the Common Threads Eagles tribute in the 90's and the more recent Artists of Then, Now & Forever. There are many more, but my point being that he's been arguably the biggest act in country music and he rarely contributes to these really cool projects. I know he's done a few, and I have no doubt some of you will point them out to me. I can assure you, I'm aware of them. Although, I'm open to being surprised lol.

However to answer your question, I would love to see him do a tribute album to his 90's peers. Alan Jackson, George Strait, Reba, Clint Black, Vince Gill, etc. I think that would be really cool.

Now, a tribute album to the 90's...... THAT would be interesting- diff. artists covering songs that weren't theres (Garth doing Strait, Alan Jackson doing Clint black, others doing Garth, etc..)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBarton View Post
    One of the things that Garth has let me down with over the years is the fact that he rarely ever takes part in "projects". Without going too deep, the two that come to mind, immediately, is the Common Threads Eagles tribute in the 90's and the more recent Artists of Then, Now & Forever. There are many more, but my point being that he's been arguably the biggest act in country music and he rarely contributes to these really cool projects. I know he's done a few, and I have no doubt some of you will point them out to me. I can assure you, I'm aware of them. Although, I'm open to being surprised lol.

However to answer your question, I would love to see him do a tribute album to his 90's peers. Alan Jackson, George Strait, Reba, Clint Black, Vince Gill, etc. I think that would be really cool.
    I totally agree! It frustrates the daylights out of me how rarely he does things with other artists. I know that a lot of people will point out Steve Wariner and a few others he's done things consistently with, but it is a very tight circle and if you are out of that circle he's not doing something with you. (He could sorely use someone besides Allen Reynolds or Mark Miller to produce his records to force him to stretch his wings, but he just won't.) That is one of the reasons the Diamond Celebration in Nashville was so amazing to see. That was so out of character and I loved it!!!!

Hard to believe he didn't take place in things like Common Thread and I was fairly disappointed that he did not participate in Forever Country for the 50th Anniversary of the CMA Awards. Just seemed like he was the one piece missing in that whole thing. I don't know the reason for this, but it does make me wonder. It just seems so hyper-controlling (which is a pattern). I guess since it isn't his project he can't have final say.

I will even go one step further and say that with the exception of the Diamond Celebration he is kind of on an island. It is SO RARE for him to bring somebody on stage with him. During the entire Nashville run he invited no special guests up despite the audience being full of other artists every night (with the exception of Kelsea Ballerini doing "She's In Love With The Boy" with Trisha). Shoot, one night he invited the entire Grand Ole Opry family. There was an ENTIRE SECTION with Opry members in it. Yet, the entire week no one shared the stage with him. Just kind of weird in my opinion.

Finally, the idea of 90s artists covering other 90s artists is a fantastic idea. I'd be all for that!
    Last edited by rhd13; 02-22-2018 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Now, a tribute album to the 90's...... THAT would be interesting- diff. artists covering songs that weren't theres (Garth doing Strait, Alan Jackson doing Clint black, others doing Garth, etc..)
    One thing I would like to see, when Alabama was doing their duets album a few years ago, there was another Alabama tribute album that came out around the same time and they had people from Jason Isbell, Jason Boland, Wade Bowen, Amanda Shires and Brandy Clark perform songs on that album.

So I would love to see Texas Country and Alt-Country singers do their own tribute album to Garth because I think he has left a very heavy influence on the modern Texas Country Sound.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    One thing I would like to see, when Alabama was doing their duets album a few years ago, there was another Alabama tribute album that came out around the same time and they had people from Jason Isbell, Jason Boland, Wade Bowen, Amanda Shires and Brandy Clark perform songs on that album.

So I would love to see Texas Country and Alt-Country singers do their own tribute album to Garth because I think he has left a very heavy influence on the modern Texas Country Sound.
    That would be interesting... I've listened to Jason Boland SOME (not a LOT but some... The Devil Pays in Gold.. . love that song). and I've heard of Wade Bowen (from you on here actually ) but haven't really listened to him much...

I've heard a few 'garth tribute' type of albums (prob. not great ones to begin with) and honestly... it always has been strange to listen to, as if it's not Garth singing Garths songs.. . its always come across to me as well, weird... (though hearing Tony Arata sing the dance for example- thats still really cool)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    I've heard a few 'garth tribute' type of albums (prob. not great ones to begin with) and honestly... it always has been strange to listen to, as if it's not Garth singing Garths songs.. . its always come across to me as well, weird... (though hearing Tony Arata sing the dance for example- thats still really cool)
    Same with me, but I tend to avoid some of those albums because, when you get right down to it, a lot of them are just cheap dimestore knock-offs. But if someone like Jack Ingram, Randy Rogers or Radney Foster worked on a Garth album, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Would love to see Garth do an album like Lionel Richie did with his Tuskegee release a few years ago. That would be tremendous as well.

I used to think that a duets album of his standard hits with a mix of other artists would be awesome until I heard the 25th anniversary edition of FILP. If it had been just Garth and George, then maybe I would have liked it more, but as it was, I was just kinda meh on it. Which led me to conclude that even if he did the duets with only artists I like, then I still wouldn't be that excited to hear Reba, George, or whoever give their renditions of Garth's old songs. The Anthology has only reinforced that. Now if it was a duet album of all new original songs, then maybe I'd be more on board with that, but even then I think I'd end up deciding that I would have rather had the album just be all Garth.

That said, if Garth did a George Strait tribute album, I think I could get pretty excited about that as long as he put his own take on the songs. But if he approached it in a too-straightforward-Garth-karaoke manner like he did on the BIAOMR set, then I think I would rather have him just spend the time and effort on a new Garth album.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    I used to think that a duets album of his standard hits with a mix of other artists would be awesome until I heard the 25th anniversary edition of FILP. If it had been just Garth and George, then maybe I would have liked it more, but as it was, I was just kinda meh on it. Which led me to conclude that even if he did the duets with only artists I like, then I still wouldn't be that excited to hear Reba, George, or whoever give their renditions of Garth's old songs. The Anthology has only reinforced that. Now if it was a duet album of all new original songs, then maybe I'd be more on board with that, but even then I think I'd end up deciding that I would have rather had the album just be all Garth.

That said, if Garth did a George Strait tribute album, I think I could get pretty excited about that as long as he put his own take on the songs. But if he approached it in a too-straightforward-Garth-karaoke manner like he did on the BIAOMR set, then I think I would rather have him just spend the time and effort on a new Garth album.
    I donít know that he would... BIAOMR was inauthentic and very underwhelming, especially because I had seen a handful of the Vegas shows (and other concerts) where I heard him sing the heck out of other artistsí material.

Bee Double E Double R You In....

There should be an all star tribute concert to Garth in 2019, not only to celebrate his 30th anniversary in the business but because the man freaking deserves it! Reba had hers, Strait had his, Brooks and Dunn had theirs, and Garth deserves one too

I always thought it was weird Garth never got his.

I've always got the impression that mist artists don't really care for Garth. I'm not sure why, but I do

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBarton View Post
    I've always got the impression that mist artists don't really care for Garth. I'm not sure why, but I do
    I think it's industry in general. He made a lot of enemies in Nashville.

When he was on the CMA stage with all the other artists singing, I thought he looked VERY uncomfortable.

Well, he used the same producer, recorded in the same studio, used the same studio and live bands, and most of the same songwriters on every album and tour. He won nearly everything he was nominated for in the early 90s. He outsold everyone else 10-1. And as is being discussed, he’s always been weird about participating in events with other artists. And even when he did, he would demand that it be on his terms, and with his producer and musicians.

Because of all that, the Nashville scene didn’t get to profit from his mega success the same way they would have had Alan Jackson or Clint Black hit it huge. And on top of all that, his style was, shall we say, unique and not exactly traditional.

So it’s no wonder Nashville didn’t exactly like him.

Well, he used the same producer, recorded in the same studio, used the same studio and live bands, and most of the same songwriters on every album and tour. He won nearly everything he was nominated for in the early 90s. He outsold everyone else 10-1. And as is being discussed, he’s always been weird about participating in events with other artists. And even when he did, he would demand that it be on his terms, and with his producer and musicians.

Because of all that, the Nashville scene didn’t get to profit from his mega success the same way they would have had Alan Jackson or Clint Black hit it huge. And on top of all that, his style was, shall we say, unique and not exactly traditional.

So it’s no wonder Nashville didn’t exactly like him.
    I know it's not Garth related but when the controversy happened with The Dixie Chicks, that's why artists didn't come to their defense. They pissed off a lot of people in Nashville

So it's no wonder Nashville didn't exactly like him.
    Hmmm...somebody being a Nashville Outlaw, what a concept. (I'm just going for the gag)

+ Reply to Thread