+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CD sales No more

CD sales No more

With Best Buy not selling CD's, I think its a good bet that say in two years time,
    CD's will be gone, will be virtually nothing, not even 1% of the market.

So will Garth want to stick exclusively with Amazon, or will he sign on
    with all the major players.

Because if he doesn't, by the time Anthology 3 comes, he wont sell 15 thousand
    copies.

Not because of him, but because of the market.

They will still have CDs, people will just order them online for many years...

I get what youíre saying, but the Anthology is a book series so I donít anticipate the decline of CD sales to impact that much.

Iím not sure how much of the CD market Best Buy is...I havenít heard anything about them ending all CD sales. It seems artists rarely collaborate with them for exclusives though. Seems to be Target and Walmartís thing.

I think there are still alot of (older) artist that will still put out CDs. Amazon had a thing where they would burn it and send you a copy after you paid for it.

I don't think Best Buy is a big seller of CD's but I think the CD market is dwindling. I think I read on here that Garth was in talks with streaming services again.

Yeah, the day is coming. I think Target is also cutting music out. Very few artists can sell a million cds in the first week anymore. I still see cds being around. just have to buy them on line like was previously said. I basically have been doing that for the past few years. My small town only has Best Buy, Target and Wally World to buy physical cds. I have been using Amazon for most of my cd purchases. Store are partly to blame. My Target cut the music department way down to make room for TVs and stuff. Less selection, fewer sales. But again, had to quit buying so many because of storage issues. I do purchase a few extra Garth as everyone probably has read. I figure when cds go bye-bye I will have extra copies to play until they wear out. I buy extras anyways to share with newbies but have lots of extras for me. But I really don't see them disappearing completely. Look at vinyl. Even cassettes made a small comeback.

Apparently Target now charges the record companies for CDs not sold instead of eating the costs of what they don't sell (according to the Ft. Worth Star Telegram). It's a good bet they won't be there or at Wally World after the next couple of years. Garth may have to go digital for future anthology music.

Like someone mentioned, Anthology is a book series with cds. The Anthology is on bookshelves at Target still. They were also in the book section at Wally World. But other cds will have to be ordered off store web sites or Amazon. Even my used record store offered to order new cds for me with no shipping. It will be interesting to see how the industry adapts. I mean Adele and Swift and Garth to a lesser degree can still sell lots of cds. Adele hit 3 million, Swift hits over a million each time out. What will probably happen is artists will do special one retailer only deals for new music. So get Garth at Wally World exclusively or Target has Swift's new music, only here. After a month or so then it will then it will be sold on line everywhere or at the artists web site.

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    Like someone mentioned, Anthology is a book series with cds. The Anthology is on bookshelves at Target still. They were also in the book section at Wally World. But other cds will have to be ordered off store web sites or Amazon. Even my used record store offered to order new cds for me with no shipping. It will be interesting to see how the industry adapts. I mean Adele and Swift and Garth to a lesser degree can still sell lots of cds. Adele hit 3 million, Swift hits over a million each time out. What will probably happen is artists will do special one retailer only deals for new music. So get Garth at Wally World exclusively or Target has Swift's new music, only here. After a month or so then it will then it will be sold on line everywhere or at the artists web site.
    But if fewer and fewer people have CD players to play the CDs........seems like it would limit who you could market to.

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Apparently Target now charges the record companies for CDs not sold instead of eating the costs of what they don't sell (according to the Ft. Worth Star Telegram). It's a good bet they won't be there or at Wally World after the next couple of years. Garth may have to go digital for future anthology music.
    Target hasn't confirmed anything yet. Best Buy will stop as of July 1st, but there's still a huge market for them.

https://themusicuniverse.com/best-bu...dering-tactic/

+ Reply to Thread