+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Its Time For Garth Brooks to join the MeToo and TimesUp campaign

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Garthmedic View Post
    By not taking a position, it does not mean he supports or denounces the issue. Instead, he chooses to not voice his opinion.

What is wrong with that?
    also a great point... theres absolutely nothing wrong with that...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    Yes I am telling you it is not a problem when a record label tells an artist they have money invested in to dress sexier to appeal to more men in an effort to sell more albums.
    Disgusting. I would encourage you to read a bit into the subject to better understand the harm that this mindset has done and is doing to girls and women in our society. It is not a woman’s job to appeal to men, period.

I have to disagree with a few posters here,I think by staying silent, when your industry has these issues is wrong, and if your a leader in your
    industry then its more so.

Quote Originally Posted by mdewater View Post
    This isn't a political thing, it's a human decency thing.
    Sad thing is, nobody's really even being decent anymore. I mean, seriously, I'm about to be 29 years old this year and this is not a knock at any of the 50-70 year old members over here, because if there's one thing about Garth's influence on me that I rarely talk about, is that he taught me that Real Men Don't Rape and I'm sure Garth left that influence on y'all. But if we got 40-80 year old people laughing at rape victims, I begin to question whose the most mature of the bunch.

It has been a VERY long time since I have had to close or remove a thread. Let's be very very careful here.

If I was a female artist I would tell a record label boss and they asked me to dress sexier I would say "You signed me for my voice not my boobs"

Again, I think its 100% wrong for a record label boss to tell a female artist to dress sexier.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    I have to disagree with a few posters here,I think by staying silent, when your industry has these issues is wrong, and if your a leader in your
    industry then its more so.
    My question would honestly be (after reading this) is Garth TRULY a leader in the Country Music industry right now? sure he has fans.. yes he's reigning 'entertainer of the year' as it were.. big tour just ended all of that.. but is Garth TRULY as influential/a leader as he used to be? that's an angle that's not been looked at in this

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    Sad thing is, nobody's really even being decent anymore. I mean, seriously, I'm about to be 29 years old this year and this is not a knock at any of the 50-70 year old members over here, because if there's one thing about Garth's influence on me that I rarely talk about, is that he taught me that Real Men Don't Rape and I'm sure Garth left that influence on y'all. But if we got 40-80 year old people laughing at rape victims, I begin to question whose the most mature of the bunch.
    for what it's worth:

1- dude, chill out man (outcast..) I don't think anyone's "laughing at rape victims" here.. (I know that I'm in the 'questioned' age range that was stated and I certainly don't 'laugh at rape victims'.....

2- Very truly, "real men dont' rape".. great notion and truth.. but the whole thing isn't just about 'rape'.. sexual assault is far more reaching, sadly, and far more widespread than just 'rape'.

3- the issues being brought to light by the strong women who are standing up and speaking out are important, their stories are important, and the 'shattering' if you will, of their walls of silence are important... but it's not a 'with us or against us' type of situation. If someone doesn't agree necessarily that things should be handled a certain way, or that Garth should have to speak up *(which is patently ridiculous honestly. he shouldn't HAVE to speak up just because 'he's garth'.. you shouldn't HAVE to adopt a cause because people want you to, regardless of personal feelings..)thats not a reason to question maturity, etc..

Best part is though? it's all a matter of opinion and point of view and beliefs on the subject (NOT on right/wrong of sexual harrassment/assault., on the matter of whether or not Garth should have to speak out on it) and whether or not they are all correct, those opinions/points of view can (should?) all be able to be shared...

(hmm that post wandered away from me a bit......)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

If I was a female artist I would tell a record label boss and they asked me to dress sexier I would say "You signed me for my voice not my boobs"

Again, I think its 100% wrong for a record label boss to tell a female artist to dress sexier.

I guess the question that comes to mind (right or wrong), having never been in a meeting of this sort, would be.. are they telling the artist to dress sexier as a command, as a wish, as a suggestion, or as a condition of further contract work/employment"?

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

And is it Ok if it's coming from another woman to dress sexier? Face it, it's a business which means it's about money. Everyone wants money, like a post said earlier, sex sells. I'm pretty sure there's been women tell other women in the business to show some skin if you want more success. Right or wrong, its not a perfect world and unfortunately that's how the world turns nowdays...

Wondering when the last time a 300 lbs 5'3" singer made it on the People's magazine Sexiest Country Stars issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    My question would honestly be (after reading this) is Garth TRULY a leader in the Country Music industry right now? sure he has fans.. yes he's reigning 'entertainer of the year' as it were.. big tour just ended all of that.. but is Garth TRULY as influential/a leader as he used to be? that's an angle that's not been looked at in this
    Very true Skywise. Maybe if he starts producing more artists than Mitch and has more #1 hits he will become the leader of the industry. I think he is still figuring is way through post retirement

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    And is it Ok if it's coming from another woman to dress sexier? Face it, it's a business which means it's about money. Everyone wants money, like a post said earlier, sex sells. I'm pretty sure there's been women tell other women in the business to show some skin if you want more success. Right or wrong, its not a perfect world and unfortunately that's how the world turns nowdays...

Wondering when the last time a 300 lbs 5'3" singer made it on the People's magazine Sexiest Country Stars issue?
    I saw Kelsie Ballrine in concert last year and she hardly had anything on. Was that because she was pressured and didn't say no or because she wanted to dress that way? It seemed more like because she wanted to show off her independence as a woman and dress that way. Because the other female artist who followed her didn't dress that way.

Yes I am telling you it is not a problem when a record label tells an artist they have money invested in to dress sexier to appeal to more men in an effort to sell more albums. If I was signed to a label and label was ran by a woman who told me she wanted to change my image to make me sexier in an effort to appeal to more women I would not care and I would thank her for helping me. Do women show up for dates wearing sweat pants or do they get done up to look good? I take it you have a problem with women singing songs about sex or lust because that is pretty much the same thing. Sex sells it always has it always will, lets quit acting like it doesn't.
    Yes, sex sells and when a woman wants to exploit/use that I have no problem with it. I have NOOOOO problem with sex, sexy music, sex in movies, sex toys, sex-whatever!! (I was born and raised in The Netherlands, where sex is no tabu at all!) However, I think you have no idea what women experience sometimes on a daily basis. How much in our lives evolves around our looks and how people (read: men) want you to look, or want you to do. How much pressure there is to look skinny, sexy, and oh... make sure you have no opinion because it doesn't count for much. We get cat called, almost all men seem to feel it is normal for them to comment on our looks, on making propositions etc. etc. Try walking in a woman's shoes for a while and then see how you'd feel if you get told to show more skin.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Very true Skywise. Maybe if he starts producing more artists than Mitch and has more #1 hits he will become the leader of the industry. I think he is still figuring is way through post retirement
    that may very well be the case (finding his way through).. I'm fairly confident a lot of the diehard fans still consider him the end all be all of country music. I myself still am a die hard fan, but I am not blind to the very true fact (whether we want to admit it or not) that Garth, for all his influence, may not be the leader/influence people want him to be.. he may not be as important to country music anymore...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Oh and I only mentioned the more "harmless" (NO IT IS NOT HARMLESS!) things. We get grabbed, touched without being asked, we get raped and beaten. And don't forget that men are almost always physically stronger, so they can overpower us.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

This is not the voice and their looks both men and women have a lot to do with if they are signed or not. If Carrie Underwood was 200 pounds bigger no way she wins American Idol or becomes the huge star she is. I am not saying bigger people are bad but again sex sells

This is not the voice and their looks both men and women have a lot to do with if they are signed or not. If Carrie Underwood was 200 pounds bigger no way she wins American Idol or becomes the huge star she is. I am not saying bigger people are bad but again sex sells
    Si if someone went to george Strait and said you need to work out more and have bigger muscles and you will sell more. Would that be offensive.

Its disgusting, record label bosses are there to promote the singles and albums, not tell an artist how they should look.

Think about it, a young 19 year old female gets discoverd after playing the bars and college campuses for a few years, she has her own look and style and is country,
    she knows what she wants to do, she gets signed, records an album and a 60 year old record executive, tells her she has to be more of a slut and show some titty.

To me its creepy, yes sex sells, but a artist has to be themselves.

This is like when Christina Ricci turned 18 and her agent beg her and sent her scripts with lots of nudity. its horrible.
    Last edited by Brett Dale; 01-24-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Oh, Im not coming for a conservative point of view,Im not thinking Its wrong to have a sexy image, its each to their own, if a artist wants to, they should, but they shouldnt be told they have to.

George is from the 80s, what if Luke Bryan put on a 100 lbs? Heck, even people here have complained about Garth's weight so it's just a natural thing. We want our artist to look good...

Should be the artist choice though.

Mike Rowe sums it up perfectly right here. Start about 2:15 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgRBHz11olI

Mike Rowe sums it up perfectly right here. Start about 2:15 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgRBHz11olI
    I turned off, when I saw the clip was Tucker Carlson and ahem Fox news.

That is as political as I will get, I had to delete what i was originally going to write, because I
    dont want to be banned here.

Each to their own but I would personally like Garth to speak up

Ahem...Faux News.

Bingo. Why would a popular artist decide to alienate 1/2 his audience?
    I really need to know the audience that is offended by the Times Up movement, please explain more.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I really need to know the audience that is offended by the Times Up movement, please explain more.
    I am mostly in the middle when it comes to politics though I do come from a conservative background. So here is hopefully a neutral perspective on it.

It would be wrong to say the other audience is offended by the movement. That would be mis-characterizing their position. They are all for what the movement represents. The problem is it, like pretty much everything else, has also become political and has very strong potential of becoming a witch hunt. Just as celebrities who have not been accused of anything sexual have warned.

The ones who are making a big deal about it (not saying they shouldn't) are also the ones slamming the president from their stage at awards shows and the like that 48% of the country voted for. That's a LOT of people. Then they try to tie him to it. I am not defending him because he certainly isn't an angel. There is just a lot of sensationalizing of things when there is a rumor of things. Then you look at the country music crowd. The majority of them fall in that 48%.

Fox News may not be popular with some on here, but there is a reason it blows the other cable news stations out of the water. It's the silent majority who actually vote and by the country albums.

Personally, I like having CNN, MSNBC and Fox News. They all report from different angles. None of them always report all of the truth. So if you are scanning all of them, you are more likely to get the facts. If in doubt, then go with USA Today

That is as political as I will get, I had to delete what i was originally going to write, because I
    dont want to be banned here.

Each to their own but I would personally like Garth to speak up
    You may find this hard to believe, but I am a left-leaning guy. Personally cannot stand Trump or his policies, but I also couldn't trust Hillary as well. Regardless of the platform, which in this case was Fox News, Mike's take on the subject is brilliant. You know that Mike did a show for CNN for 2 seasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I don't need to know, but so many people wish that celebrities would do what they do, and not use their platform to advance their own agenda.

As for me, I am ok with a celebrity doing so, or not doing so. Why should a well-known person be coerced into not speaking up? On the other hand, why should a celebrity have to speak up? It is NOT a bad thing if a person chooses to remain silent.

You may find this hard to believe, but I am a left-leaning guy. Personally cannot stand Trump or his policies, but I also couldn't trust Hillary as well. Regardless of the platform, which in this case was Fox News, Mike's take on the subject is brilliant. You know that Mike did a show for CNN for 2 seasons?
    No I did not Mike was on CNN, and I guess it would be unfair to judge his views, on who was interviewing him.

That was a great clip and sums it up perfect. Garth has a wife and three girls at home, he has several women in power positions in his company. He got a video banned showing a women getting beat, never been accused of acting abusive toward women but yes unless he has a press conference and condemns it he must be ok with it. See how stupid that sounds. I support gay people being allowed to be married but never posted it on my FB does that mean I am against it?

BTW I am a conservative republican who watches fox news but I also watch CNN just for a different view on things. If the Mod had posted a clip from CNN I would have watched it and given it a chance but that's just me

+ Reply to Thread