+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Its Time For Garth Brooks to join the MeToo and TimesUp campaign

Its Time For Garth Brooks to join the MeToo and TimesUp campaign

Been reading about how sexual harassment and sexual abuse is also rift in the
    country music industry as well as all other parts of society.

Isn't it time that the biggest name in country music History, Garth Brooks, made a stand
    by making a speech, and I don't mean saying a nice soundbite on The Ellen Show, but
    actually give a speech that is hard hitting, takes no prisoners, and challenges, other
    male artists, writers, singers, record label guys and those in the industry to take a zero tolerance
    policy on any BS that happens to females in the industry.

Thru the decades hes known a sa nice guy that supports womens issues, but now its time to
    get serious and take it one step further and talk of things that may be difficult to discuss.

Hell its not just womens issues its everyones issues.
    Last edited by Brett Dale; 01-21-2018 at 11:39 PM.

Well first of all do you believe Garth speaking out would change anything? Is there a guy out there who is a huge garth fan that will see him speak and think to himself well I did not think it was wrong until garth said it so I am going to stop. How about garth just play music and stay out of the in the moment political movements

And anyone who has a clue who Garth is already knows the respect and love he has towards women. They would know this act is not tollerated by him. I also think it would be pointless. Let him focus on what issues he wants too publicly, that's the kids, etc Teammates for Kids.

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    Well first of all do you believe Garth speaking out would change anything? Is there a guy out there who is a huge garth fan that will see him speak and think to himself well I did not think it was wrong until garth said it so I am going to stop. How about garth just play music and stay out of the in the moment political movements
    Bingo. Why would a popular artist decide to alienate 1/2 his audience?

In the USA, the best country in the world
    How about garth just play music and stay out of the in the moment political movements
    BOOM... Mic Drop....

absolutely well said. Bitter and Spud- also great points/words.. I think anyone with a clue about who Garth is, knowing how close he is to the women in his life (from TY to his kids, to his late mom and sister, to even Sandy) would know that Garth doesn't / wouldn't condone harassment or abuse against women...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Exactly! Garth has always been an advocate of women. He doesn't need to say a thing.

Okay what the hell is it with everyone telling every country singer to shut up? What the hell are you guys afraid of, them having different opinions from yours, like I don't know the Dixie Chicks?

If Garth wants to talk about MeToo and TimesUp...LET HIM!!! He's just as much an American citizen as the rest of us and should be allowed to speak out his own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    Okay what the hell is it with everyone telling every country singer to shut up? What the hell are you guys afraid of, them having different opinions from yours, like I don't know the Dixie Chicks?

If Garth wants to talk about MeToo and TimesUp...LET HIM!!! He's just as much an American citizen as the rest of us and should be allowed to speak out his own opinion.
    ...but I don't think anyone should feel or expect that he has to speak up or give his opinion on any issue!

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Just a general observation, unless I've missed it, nobody from the Country music industry has spoken up. Is that because because it's not an issue in country music like it is in other entertainment industries?

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Just a general observation, unless I've missed it, nobody from the Country music industry has spoken up. Is that because because it's not an issue in country music like it is in other entertainment industries?
    Actually it is and nobody is really saying anything about it, recently there was a female country singer who was mostly active in the Indie scene and signed to Black River Entertainment named Katie Armiger. I've heard her sing and she's got a good voice but the problem is, the guy who ran Black River Entertainment was accused of assault by her and as a result she got blacklisted from Nashville.

So if any of you think that sexual assault involves everything but Country Music, I guarantee you that there are other stories like Armiger's that are happening and nobody's saying anything.

And I'm sorry if you guys don't agree with me about Garth speaking up, but I'm standing firm on that opinion, and if it bothers you...too bad.

Actually it is and nobody is really saying anything about it, recently there was a female country singer who was mostly active in the Indie scene and signed to Black River Entertainment named Katie Armiger. I've heard her sing and she's got a good voice but the problem is, the guy who ran Black River Entertainment was accused of assault by her and as a result she got blacklisted from Nashville.

So if any of you think that sexual assault involves everything but Country Music, I guarantee you that there are other stories like Armiger's that are happening and nobody's saying anything.

And I'm sorry if you guys don't agree with me about Garth speaking up, but I'm standing firm on that opinion, and if it bothers you...too bad.
    Then someone in Country music does need to speak up.

I don't feel he HAS to. But I would certainly welcome it if he would speak up about it.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

First of all you should tell the entire story not just the facts that support your argument. Katie Arminger was asked to dress sexier...so you mean to tell me they wanted to change her imagine? oh my that is horrible how dare they, that has never been done ever in country music (Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Luke Bryan, Miranda Lambert, Carrie Underwood) Why would they want a female singer to be sexy and appeal to men? She released her album and disappeared then was sued by the label for failure to fulfill her commitment and after that only after that did she counter sue them for sexual harassment. She then after reaching a settlement decided to go on fox news and blast the label so now she has a go fund me page to raise money to defend herself in the law suit she brought on herself by talking. If that bothers you too bad.

First of all you should tell the entire story not just the facts that support your argument. Katie Arminger was asked to dress sexier...so you mean to tell me they wanted to change her imagine? oh my that is horrible how dare they, that has never been done ever in country music (Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw, Luke Bryan, Miranda Lambert, Carrie Underwood) Why would they want a female singer to be sexy and appeal to men? She released her album and disappeared then was sued by the label for failure to fulfill her commitment and after that only after that did she counter sue them for sexual harassment. She then after reaching a settlement decided to go on fox news and blast the label so now she has a go fund me page to raise money to defend herself in the law suit she brought on herself by talking. If that bothers you too bad.
    You're mocking me aren't you?

I'd rather Garth get me a live album that's actually live.
    But that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

Is it bad that I've never heard of her or this lawsuit, etc?

Honestly I dont' doubt the existence of sexual harassment/assaults in the country music industry..

what I worry about is a swinging of the pendulum more... from the overbearing, pro male and enabling culture (hey lets face it- some of us men are pigs and this stuff has happened)

to the now overbearing, almost witch hunt culture we find ourselves in today.. in many ways (and this may not be a popular opinion) tis a bit of a witch hunt mentality nowadays where you can accuse and ruin someone's life / career w/o due process..

IMO

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I actually saw a recent article (can't remember where now) about how bad the problem is in country radio. From women who work in radio, to younger artists visiting stations and almost being expected by program directors, etc to do certain things in order to get their songs played. Garth wouldn't change the actions of men in the business if he did speak out, but could certainly encourage/empower the women to tell their stories and out the guilty, which could create a real change. As a father of 3 girls with one getting into the business, I wouldn't blame him at all if he did want to say something.
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

The was a New Zealand Pop/Indie/rock singer over a decade ago, she got signed to Sony in the USA, it was a big break, she remembered being called into an office,
    and being told by record executives that she had to show more skin and be sleazy, and lose weight, and they wanted to change her lyrics to water it down.

Apparently she ended her contract then and there.

Im kinda guessing no one ever went up to Randy Travis and said "I think you should wear tighter trousers"

Im pretty sure the same thing is happening to female country artists. I think it would be a major shakeup, if someone like Garth spoke publicly.

He doesnt have to get political, just speak out against the treatment of female artists.

Please don't tell me you think is it no problem when men tell a young woman that she has to dress sexier?! That she has to be sexy and appeal to men (in order to sell more albums)?! Oh PULEAZZZ!!! Just turn this whole concept around... imagine women being in charge of the music labels and telling men that they have to dress sexier, that they need to expose more skin if they want to sell albums. Can you imagine that? Would that be fine with you too?? It sounds ridiculous when you ask me. So why is it "normal" when men tell women the same thing?!

BTW, if women ENJOY dressing sexy and showing a lot of skin, that is fine. Same for men. But let it be THEIR decision. And it shouldn't be accepted only if they are considered slim/skinny/pretty by the general public either. EVERY woman should be allowed to dress the way she wants to. EVERY man too!

*stepsoffsoapbox*
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

Wasn't Tim McGraw groped on stage a time or two? Maybe it isn't a male/female problem but a people problem. We all need to respect each other and we also need to be careful in the situations we get ourselves into. It's not a perfect world and you have to think things out ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    Wasn't Tim McGraw groped on stage a time or two? Maybe it isn't a male/female problem but a people problem. We all need to respect each other and we also need to be careful in the situations we get ourselves into. It's not a perfect world and you have to think things out ahead of time.
    Crazy and/or drunk fans groping an artist on stage and industry insiders who act as gatekeepers pressuring young female artists are not equitable, and to imply otherwise is an insult to women who have experienced sexual harassment in any field.

Quote Originally Posted by Garthmedic View Post
    This right here is the problem we have - that voicing support for victims of sexual harassment might risk alienating a significant portion of one’s audience. Sexual harassment isn’t (or shouldn’t be) a political or decisive issue. We should all agree it is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlpadacas View Post
    This right here is the problem we have - that voicing support for victims of sexual harassment might risk alienating a significant portion of one’s audience. Sexual harassment isn’t (or shouldn’t be) a political or decisive issue. We should all agree it is wrong.
    I think we all do. I think the danger is what was mention about Skywise about due process and how it can damage a career before all the facts are actually known. Liam Neeson came out and gave that warning. Michael Douglas just gave a preemptive strike to an allegation before it came out strongly denying it.

That stuff that Harvey Weinstein was doing definitely needed to be outed and it was good that women were courageous enough to do so. We need the media to stop sensationalizing everything and investigate both sides of a story before they even start reporting rumors. That will help both sides. But we know that will not happen anytime soon.

I think we all do. I think the danger is what was mention about Skywise about due process and how it can damage a career before all the facts are actually known. Liam Neeson came out and gave that warning. Michael Douglas just gave a preemptive strike to an allegation before it came out strongly denying it.

That stuff that Harvey Weinstein was doing definitely needed to be outed and it was good that women were courageous enough to do so. We need the media to stop sensationalizing everything and investigate both sides of a story before they even start reporting rumors. That will help both sides. But we know that will not happen anytime soon.
    I would agree that due process is important. However, the quoted post stated that to comment on the movement to acknowledge sexual harassment would be to “alienate” (or, to soften the language, “risk alienating”) half of an artist’s audience. While the collective “we,” the members of this forum, all agree that harassment is wrong, what does it say about our society (even here in 2018) if saying so publicly might alienate a significant portion of one’s fan base?

Crazy and/or drunk fans groping an artist on stage and industry insiders who act as gatekeepers pressuring young female artists are not equitable, and to imply otherwise is an insult to women who have experienced sexual harassment in any field.
    My point being is still the same. Respect. Being drunk is no excuse either for anyone.

I would agree that due process is important. However, the quoted post stated that to comment on the movement to acknowledge sexual harassment would be to “alienate” (or, to soften the language, “risk alienating”) half of an artist’s audience. While the collective “we,” the members of this forum, all agree that harassment is wrong, what does it say about our society (even here in 2018) if saying so publicly might alienate a significant portion of one’s fan base?
    How do we know if Garth knows anything specific about this issue in country music? What if he wants to only make a statement about the industry if he knows for sure? Yes, he should be in a position to have a good idea. But maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Garthmedic View Post
    Are you saying half his audience supports sexual harassment and wants it to continue?? I don't think so. This isn't a political thing, it's a human decency thing.

How do we know if Garth knows anything specific about this issue in country music? What if he wants to only make a statement about the industry if he knows for sure? Yes, he should be in a position to have a good idea. But maybe not.
    That is a good point, garthcop. With Garth's influence, it's very likely he has the ability to make an impact, but we don't know for certain. #1 Garth was out of the game for 13-14 years, that can't be thrown aside- life moved on. music moved on.

So many seem to know what Garth can do or should do... It's not only this topic either.. It's back all the way to the retirement debacle. I've been guilty of it too.. all of us have...

Garth's going to do what Garth's going to do.. or should do..

We need the media to stop sensationalizing everything and investigate both sides of a story before they even start reporting rumors. That will help both sides. But we know that will not happen anytime soon.
    Absolutely true....

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Lowland_Kid View Post
    Please don't tell me you think is it no problem when men tell a young woman that she has to dress sexier?! That she has to be sexy and appeal to men (in order to sell more albums)?! Oh PULEAZZZ!!! Just turn this whole concept around... imagine women being in charge of the music labels and telling men that they have to dress sexier, that they need to expose more skin if they want to sell albums. Can you imagine that? Would that be fine with you too?? It sounds ridiculous when you ask me. So why is it "normal" when men tell women the same thing?!

BTW, if women ENJOY dressing sexy and showing a lot of skin, that is fine. Same for men. But let it be THEIR decision. And it shouldn't be accepted only if they are considered slim/skinny/pretty by the general public either. EVERY woman should be allowed to dress the way she wants to. EVERY man too!

*stepsoffsoapbox*
    Yes I am telling you it is not a problem when a record label tells an artist they have money invested in to dress sexier to appeal to more men in an effort to sell more albums. If I was signed to a label and label was ran by a woman who told me she wanted to change my image to make me sexier in an effort to appeal to more women I would not care and I would thank her for helping me. Do women show up for dates wearing sweat pants or do they get done up to look good? I take it you have a problem with women singing songs about sex or lust because that is pretty much the same thing. Sex sells it always has it always will, lets quit acting like it doesn't.

By not taking a position, it does not mean he supports or denounces the issue. Instead, he chooses to not voice his opinion.

What is wrong with that?

+ Reply to Thread