+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wild Horses in Newark

Wild Horses in Newark

Garth did Wild Horses in Newark with full band. Video was on Twitter. Would love more stuff like that on the live album. Wonder if there will be bonus tracks for special editions, etc.

One of my favorite songs. Wish he would've been playing this unique stuff all tour!

Quote Originally Posted by jturtels View Post
    Garth did Wild Horses in Newark with full band. Video was on Twitter. Would love more stuff like that on the live album. Wonder if there will be bonus tracks for special editions, etc.
    Wha???? Wild Horses??? I have to see that. Are any videos still up?

Also, besides this, Tacoma, and Fishin in the Dark, what other "non-standards" has he played with the full band recently?

And I fully agree with DuckStreet, why couldn't he have been playing deep cuts like these all tour?

Because *most* of the concert-goers are not rabid fans of his albums. They love his hits, but don't know many of his other songs.

A-maz-ing! Thanks for finding it.

That's by far his best album I think. Especially when he put This Ain't Tennessee on it in the 90s.

Makes me want to go scalp a ticket to Nashville for a chance to hear it live! Awesome!

There's some video of Fit for a King out there from Newark, too. I've always liked that one.

Quote Originally Posted by StormHawk View Post
    There's some video of Fit for a King out there from Newark, too. I've always liked that one.
    Seriously?! I wonder why hes doing that? Im sticking with my guess of bonus tracks for preordering or something. I guess he could also be doing it just for fun, but seems like a lot of work just for fun.

Fit for a King was acoustic housekeeping, just to clarify.

How fun is this?! Robert Bailey and Garth singing Shout
    https://youtu.be/17VOSkGDM94

Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    How fun is this?! Robert Bailey and Garth singing Shout
    https://youtu.be/17VOSkGDM94
    Oops! Sorry. We posted at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by StormHawk View Post
    Fit for a King was acoustic housekeeping, just to clarify.
    Ahh. Gotcha. Thanks.

If there's one thing I'll give some of the fans credit, I heard them sing along with Garth without missing a beat, even Garth himself sounded like he didn't miss a beat. That's why I think if he played his album cuts with the full band more often, the fans would have a more positive reaction. Hopefully down the road we'll see him cater future concerts to the hardcore fans and casual fans.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    If there's one thing I'll give some of the fans credit, I heard them sing along with Garth without missing a beat, even Garth himself sounded like he didn't miss a beat. That's why I think if he played his album cuts with the full band more often, the fans would have a more positive reaction. Hopefully down the road we'll see him cater future concerts to the hardcore fans and casual fans.
    Completely agree. I don’t buy the “most fans don’t want to hear those songs” thing. As you said, it sounded to me that at least 60% of the audience was right there with him.

Billy Joel is a great example. His setlist is never the same. He is constantly bringing in obscure songs. He’s also been selling out Madison Square Garden for several years now.

With that said, at least Garth does his encore and you can find some rare songs there...I’d just like to hear the whole thing. He did all of Wolves in KC in 2007...just awesome.

Wow, shout just gave me goosebumps!! That is so fantastic!! Fingers crossed for Nashville!!
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

Completely agree. I don’t buy the “most fans don’t want to hear those songs” thing. As you said, it sounded to me that at least 60% of the audience was right there with him.

Billy Joel is a great example. His setlist is never the same. He is constantly bringing in obscure songs. He’s also been selling out Madison Square Garden for several years now.

With that said, at least Garth does his encore and you can find some rare songs there...I’d just like to hear the whole thing. He did all of Wolves in KC in 2007...just awesome.
    I think the real problem is if he were to attempt doing more of the deep cuts and the hits that hadn't been performed in years (I.E. What's She's Doing Now, Somewhere Other Than The Night, She's Every Woman) along with his regular set list, I think the entire concerts would run between 3-4 hours. And in terms of that, I can't blame him for not going that route. I said at another site, I think the underrated reason why Garth has been Entertainer of the Year these past two years, is because he makes us feel like we're part of the show, I think we can all attest that we go to these concerts, which last one to two hours, we walk out of that arena exhausted but satisfied at the hard work we contributed. But I'll tell you this, if I went to three concerts in San Antonio and they last 4 hours a night, I don't think my voice would've made it and I gotta put myself in Garth's shoes and think about what would happen if I did that 24/7.

BTW I was at the Saturday show at KC '07 and one of the big treats was him performing 'When You Come Back to Me Again" for the encore. Ever had that happen to you fellas?

I don't think anyone is saying that he should add songs to the setlist to make room for a deep cut here and there. But he could switch songs in and out of the show to make room for them. For example, instead of playing Much Too Young every night, he could switch it back and forth with Wild Horses, or he could switch out In Another's Eyes every once in a while with Whiskey to Wine or Where Your Road Leads. Same with Shameless and More Than a Memory, or We Shall Be Free instead of Beaches of Cheyenne, etc. etc.

It would give him an opportunity to switch up the show every night, especially when playing multiple shows in a city. And in that sense, it would almost be an incentive for fans to buy tickets to multiple shows in a city, knowing that the show is going to be 2-3 songs different from night to night.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying that he should add songs to the setlist to make room for a deep cut here and there. But he could switch songs in and out of the show to make room for them. For example, instead of playing Much Too Young every night, he could switch it back and forth with Wild Horses, or he could switch out In Another's Eyes every once in a while with Whiskey to Wine or Where Your Road Leads. Same with Shameless and More Than a Memory, or We Shall Be Free instead of Beaches of Cheyenne, etc. etc.

It would give him an opportunity to switch up the show every night, especially when playing multiple shows in a city. And in that sense, it would almost be an incentive for fans to buy tickets to multiple shows in a city, knowing that the show is going to be 2-3 songs different from night to night.
    Completely agree!

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    I think the real problem is if he were to attempt doing more of the deep cuts and the hits that hadn't been performed in years (I.E. What's She's Doing Now, Somewhere Other Than The Night, She's Every Woman) along with his regular set list, I think the entire concerts would run between 3-4 hours. And in terms of that, I can't blame him for not going that route. I said at another site, I think the underrated reason why Garth has been Entertainer of the Year these past two years, is because he makes us feel like we're part of the show, I think we can all attest that we go to these concerts, which last one to two hours, we walk out of that arena exhausted but satisfied at the hard work we contributed. But I'll tell you this, if I went to three concerts in San Antonio and they last 4 hours a night, I don't think my voice would've made it and I gotta put myself in Garth's shoes and think about what would happen if I did that 24/7.

BTW I was at the Saturday show at KC '07 and one of the big treats was him performing 'When You Come Back to Me Again" for the encore. Ever had that happen to you fellas?
    I understand what you are saying but the basic set of 20 songs (not counting encore) typically lasts under 2 hours. I clocked it one time and it was around an hour and 45 minutes. For instance, the entire Atlanta show, encores and all was just over 2 hours. Many artists play longer than that. I went to the last two Eric Church shows in Nashville and they clocked in at 3 hours and 20 minutes and 3 hours and 40 minutes. The last Kenny Chesney show I saw he played for 3 hours and 20 minutes. Guns N Roses even played 3 hours and 20 minutes here in Nashville last month. It's not impossible to lengthen the setlist even by 30 minutes if he chose too or even rotate some songs out as others have mentioned.

I think the reason the basic set stays the same is he knows those songs are going to get HUGE reactions pretty much every time. There are no gambles there. It's almost like he's afraid not to get a deafening reaction after every song. He doesn't want anybody to take a pee break, get a drink or head for the doors. I understand that, but at the same time I just think he is such a legend that most people are going to hang in there no matter what he throws at them. Trust me, I watched Eric Church play for almost 4 hours and the crowd was in the palm of his hand the entire time. Don't tell me Garth can't do that if he would. Sure, he might not be able to do that if he's going to do matinees or play 12 shows in 10 days, but I'd prefer a little deeper setlist and a few less shows here and there.

The man has 7 freakin' Diamond Awards, with 2 more albums knocking on the door. Almost anything he plays from those albums are going to be very well known by the crowd, especially anything from No Fences!

+ Reply to Thread