+ Reply to Thread

Thread: #1 it's been a long road

#1 it's been a long road

I just checked the mediabase charts and for 12 04 17 Garth got his first #1 single in 10 years.
    'All the way to Tacoma, by then I hope you're out of my mind.'

'All the way to Tacoma, by then I hope you're out of my mind.'

I gotta confess, I thought Mediabase was a subsidiary of Billboard but it turns out that R&R (Radio and Records) was the subsidiary. If this hits the top spot on Billboard or R&R then this will definitely be one of Garth's biggest hits.

Either way, it's great to see #1 by his name!!! Awesome!

Well technically it isn't #1 on any chart yet. That is the "building chart" for Mediabase which means that based upon where points stand at the moment he has the #1 song. However, that doesn't become official until the tracking week is over. Yes, based upon the percentage drop of the Lanco song, and the upswing in percentage points for Garth, it appears pretty clear it is going to top that chart. It's just not official right now. All it has to do is maintain that for the rest of the tracking, which is obviously likely.

When I was in college I actually worked at a CMA Award winning radio station as an on-air personality. I knew all about that stuff back then. Things have changed quite a bit, but we were actually a reporting station for a chart that existed at the time called the Gavin chart. It was actually a 3rd chart to Billboard and R&R (ie. Mediabase). After working in radio I have always leaned toward Billboard and the way Billboard tabulates its points. It is the chart I most rely on and is arguably the primary chart for those in the business. (Of course, those in the business will claim a #1 on any chart so you can have several #1s in the same week because of that.) Billboard is usually the one chart that most people outside of the business refer to when looking up stats as well. In other words, a Billboard #1 just feels more important at least to me. (As a side note, it looks like Garth will top the Country Airplay chart this week there as well.)

I actually like the Hot Country Songs chart which is a hybrid of digital sales, radio airplay, and streaming. Many hardcore chart watchers hate that chart, but I actually think it is the most accurate of all. The one downfall is it tabulates ALL radio play which means country songs getting play on any radio format (ie. pop, adult contemporary, etc.) gets counted. Crossover songs obviously will get an advantage there. "Ask Me How I Know" sits at #13 on that chart right now, but it is getting no points from digital sales or streaming.

Then can someone explain why Kix Brooks and Bob Kingsley use Mediabase on their Countdown Shows instead of Billboard?

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    Then can someone explain why Kix Brooks and Bob Kingsley use Mediabase on their Countdown Shows instead of Billboard?
    I was wrong, it turns out Kix Brooks just started using Billboard as his chart source this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    I was wrong, it turns out Kix Brooks just started using Billboard as his chart source this year.
    Not 100% sure what your question is, but I'm assuming you are asking if the Billboard chart is so important why do they use Mediabase instead for their countdown show? That's all about money and has nothing to do with importance of chart. Bob Kingsley used Billboard for ages and if I'm not mistaken it became too expensive for a while for them to pay for using the Billboard charts so they changed it. They reached an agreement to go back to Billboard earlier this year.

+ Reply to Thread