+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Possible Next Single to be Live?

Possible Next Single to be Live?

I haven't listened to many recent interviews so don't know if this was mentioned in one of them; I wonder if Tacoma might be in the running. According to an article in The Boot (http://theboot.com/garth-brooks-live-album-2018/), ""With the tour ending, a lot of the live stuffís now coming to a boil," Brooks shared with The Boot and other reporters at a recent media event. "I think the next song, if itís something off a record youíve heard or if itís brand-new, I think itís going to be a live version, because I want to bring that energy to radio, too, as well. I love to capture what goes on onstage and get it on the radio waves.""

This could also be his reasoning behind opting for releasing the Live volume of the Anthology next instead of "The Rest of the 90s."

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    I haven't listened to many recent interviews so don't know if this was mentioned in one of them; I wonder if Tacoma might be in the running. According to an article in The Boot (http://theboot.com/garth-brooks-live-album-2018/), ""With the tour ending, a lot of the live stuffís now coming to a boil," Brooks shared with The Boot and other reporters at a recent media event. "I think the next song, if itís something off a record youíve heard or if itís brand-new, I think itís going to be a live version, because I want to bring that energy to radio, too, as well. I love to capture what goes on onstage and get it on the radio waves.""

This could also be his reasoning behind opting for releasing the Live volume of the Anthology next instead of "The Rest of the 90s."

Paula
    The next Anthology is going to be the live one, could that mean there will be on live album at all?? he may not want to release a live album and a Live Anthology in like a 12 month span of each other.

Maybe the live anthology has a brand new full live album in it.

Quote Originally Posted by StormHawk View Post
    Maybe the live anthology has a brand new full live album in it.
    I think you are probably right. I suspect we are going to get a new live album in the Anthology OR there will be a new live album separately released around the same time as the Anthology and they will be bundled together which seems to be a new favorite method for him.

This is pure speculation, but I actually think his strategy changed at some point this past year. The way he talked about the live album it seemed pretty certain it was coming out this year. If I'm not mistaken in one presser he even stated that the tour was coming to an end and they wanted to have it out around that time. This shouldn't be a surprise because that is EXACTLY what happened with Double Live. It was literally released the week that the World Tour was ending.

What makes me think the strategy changed is because of that. He was so openly talking about it and then the talk just stopped and turned to the Anthology. I've got a gut feeling when they mapped out the Anthology this past year and decided they were doing a live one that he decided to change his course and add the live album either to the Anthology or release it around that same time to help sales of both. (Think about it, Double Live is his highest certified album so he probably knows he can get some mileage, certification wise, out of it if he plays his cards right.) This would also explain this odd decision of not putting the Anthology pieces out in order. He wants that live one to come out next because he was going to release a live album and they probably already had a bunch of stuff recorded and filmed (the filmed is assuming we get something beyond audio). To me this makes a lot of sense. It explains why the live album is apparently postponed and why the next Anthology chapter is out of order.

They played Fishin in the Dark in Nashville on Sunday. He had the crowd sing parts alone like he has done previously. I have a hunch it will be the next single.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    ehh- why would he go that direction? (I hope he doesn't...). After all, it's 'technically' an older song of his (lost sessions era) and though it's done live, sure, its' still a NGDB cover.... go with something original.. IF It must be a live song, spring a surprise of a song that's not been over-done before (thinking live FILP, other hits, etc..). but that's just me?
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    ehh- why would he go that direction? (I hope he doesn't...). After all, it's 'technically' an older song of his (lost sessions era) and though it's done live, sure, its' still a NGDB cover.... go with something original.. IF It must be a live song, spring a surprise of a song that's not been over-done before (thinking live FILP, other hits, etc..). but that's just me?
    I agree. He just had a number 1 hit with an original. He needs to stay that route. But I do remember the CMT interview on the Lost Sessions when it came out and how he really liked the version he did. I could see this being his excuse to make it a single if that is what he always wanted.

But, who knows. It could be a hit for him as well.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    I agree. He just had a number 1 hit with an original. He needs to stay that route. But I do remember the CMT interview on the Lost Sessions when it came out and how he really liked the version he did. I could see this being his excuse to make it a single if that is what he always wanted.

But, who knows. It could be a hit for him as well.
    It Could be a hit- that's true- It seems to me though, that it'd be viewed as taking a step back/revisiting the well again... w/o being 'new' or relevant.. If he wants to stay a nostalgia act... go the old song route.. (yikes- the lost sessions is 12 years old...) if relevance is a goal? or long shelf life in this, the 2nd act of the career? then Id stay away from the old song route
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

He might be thinking of using it for the next Anthology, though I think we aren't even close to the next book, probably Fall again. We still have the special for this Anthology to get to. Who knows?! LOL Maybe a new live album is closer than we think, too... also not likely, just throwing it out there.

Personally I would love to see Weekend become the next single. A live version would be cool. He could release Weekend to radio in a live version and include it in the Triple Live album. People can get a the Gunslinger version or the Triple Live version. A slow buildup like AMHIK and a spring release of Live would be perfect for a spring break/summer song.

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    Personally I would love to see Weekend become the next single. A live version would be cool. He could release Weekend to radio in a live version and include it in the Triple Live album. People can get a the Gunslinger version or the Triple Live version. A slow buildup like AMHIK and a spring release of Live would be perfect for a spring break/summer song.
    The Weekend is what he talked about the most when he kicked off the album last year with the radio stations at AT&T Stadium.

So, if his next single is going to be a live one, and itís Fishiní In The Dark, which version is he going to play live? The one that sounds more like the version on The Lost Sessions, or the version from Blame It All On My Roots Box Set? I sure hope he doesnít pick Weekend as a live single. I just donít like that song, although Garth did mention right after Gunslinger was out that Weekend would likely be the next single after Ask Me How I Know. I donít like the song Tacoma either. I do however love He Really Loves You. But if I had my pick of a released live single it would be The Call. I freaking love that song.
    ~"Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tide."~
    ~"Blood is thicker than water, but love is thicker than blood."~
    -Garth Brooks

I know he hasn't done anything radical since Wild as the Wind, It's Your Song or Tearin' it Up, but I would've loved to see him sing a song that wasn't available on any studio album and make it a concert-only song.

That's the point I'm trying to make, if he were to release a live single, it should've been something completely different that none of us had heard before. I think we seriously need to Gunslinger alone now, because let's face it, that album left all of us pretty polarized in our opinions of it.

I would personally love to see him release the live Ryman version of Whiskey to Wine as the next single. It probably wouldn't connect well with today's audience, but I would be amazingly excited about it LOL. Then again, you never know. Now that AMHIK has reached number one, maybe W2W could do well. Chris Stapleton did really well with the George Jones remake of Tennessee Whiskey.

+ Reply to Thread