+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anthology is Here (Spoiler Alert!)

Anthology is Here (Spoiler Alert!)

Disc 1 (Year One)
    1) Not Counting You
    2) I've Got a Good Thing Going
    3) If Tomorrow Never Comes (Day-Write)
    4) If Tomorrow Never Comes
    5) Everytime That It Rains
    6) Alabama Clay
    7) Much Too Young (First Take)
    8) Much Too Young
    9) Cowboy Bill
    10)The Dance (Tony Arata Day-Write)
    11) The Dance

Disc 2 (1990)
    1) The Thunder Rolls (Day-Write)
    2) The Thunder Rolls
    3) Two of a Kind
    4) Victim of the Game
    5) Unanswered Prayers (Day-Write)
    6) Unanswered Prayers
    7) Same Old Story (Tony Arata Day-Write)
    8) Same Old Story
    9) Which One of Them (Demo)
    10) Which One of Them

Disc 3 (1991)
    1) Against the Grain
    2) Miss Rodeo (Joanne Stephen Demo)
    3) Rodeo
    4) What She's Doing Now (Day-Write)
    5) What She's Doing Now
    6) Burning Bridges
    7) Shameless
    8) We Bury the Hatchet
    9) In Lonesome Dove
    10) The River (Demo)
    11) The River

Disc 4 (1992)
    1) Sometimes You Need the Rain (Demo)
    2) Somewhere Other Than the Night
    3) Mr. Right (Demo)
    4) Mr. Right
    5) Dixie Chicken
    6) That Summer (First Take)
    7) That Summer
    8) Night Rider's Lament
    9) Face to Face (Tony Arata-Day Write)
    10) Face to Face

Disc 5 (1993)
    1) Standing Outside the Fire
    2) One Night a Day
    3) Kickin' and Screamin' (Tony Arata-Day Write)
    4) Kickin' and Screamin'
    5) The Red Strokes
    6) Leon (Demo)
    7) Tomorrow and Today (Demo)
    8) I Guess You Had to Be There (Trisha Yearwood Demo)
    9) Like We Never Had a Broken Heart (Day-Write)
    10)The Cowboy Song

Initial Thoughts:
    - I'm just getting home to go through all of this...so don't know much yet.
    - The book is extremely high quality...probably better than you're thinking.
    - I'm listening to the first take of "That Summer" now.....wait to you guys hear this stuff!! Also "Sometimes You Need the Rain".....so awesome.
    - The Anthology says that a "Day-Write" is: "This term means the day the writers wrote it. It is usually the memorialization of a song. It is normally just vocal/guitar or vocal/piano and usually played and sung by the writer(s). A Day-Write is simply the birth of a song.
    - If there is nothing in parenthesis behind the song above, it is the master.

...one added note....this book is going to be giving us something to talk about for YEARS on here!! Truly feel like this is for the fans. The pictures are so, so cool.

In addition, it looks like maybe even the 'masters' have been remastered. It says they have inside the front cover, but I'm not sure if it's the same "remastered" we had before or not. Would have to compare.

Awesome! Thanks for the rundown. I should have mine by this evening!

They are think and heavy! Very nice hard cover to them! I can't wait for mine!

Interesting...”Like We Never Had a Broken Heart” is Garth only.

This is my situation: so I preorder the anthology from Amazon and they tell me it will be delivered on the 14th. So then sat comes and I log on to check the status, and they tell me I need to update my payment method as I just paid a bunch of bills and so I don't have enough to cover it. I checked my bank when I first preordered it and the pay went through and now I can't find the transaction on the bank site. So I go to bank and put money in it this morning so I can still get it tom, and I go on to update the payment and they said card was denied. I go on the bank site to see what happened, hulu took a payment like they were waiting for my account to have enough. So now I finally put more money in and update the pay now I am not getting it til Wed. the 15th.
    'All the way to Tacoma, by then I hope you're out of my mind.'

Iím about 30 pages in...and Iím loving this thing. Make no doubt about it....for us big fans, this is definitely a book with some music...not the other way around. Yeah, the demos and such are cool, but the writing itself is awesome. You can definitely ďhearĒ Garth in the writing and you truly start to get some insight behind these songs.

I just canít believe that there are going to be more of these in the future. Itís all done so well, I wonder if all volumes will be the same format (large book with music). Seems like it would be tough, but what do I know?

What is the other four? I remember the live/tour one, but what were the others?

1. The first 5 years
    2. The rest of the 90's
    3. Live tour
    4. The retirement and return
    5. The Hits and what was going on at those times
    'All the way to Tacoma, by then I hope you're out of my mind.'

Based on the tracklist, I'm definitely most excited for Disc 5. Leon, Tomorrow and Today, and Like We Never Had A Broken Heart are the kind of stuff I was hoping this collection would have more of - totally unreleased material. How is the sound quality of the "Demos" and "Day-Writes"?

what is the difference between the "Limited Edition" Anthology and the regular one? Aside from the price...

https://www.amazon.com/Anthology-Par...ooks+anthology

vs

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianJArmstrong View Post
    what is the difference between the "Limited Edition" Anthology and the regular one? Aside from the price...

vs

As I understand it, the slipcover that comes over the anthology, and probably 'limited edition' being stamped somewhere on the product
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

The discs themselves are also silver with "Limited Edition" on it. That's basically it.

As far as the quality of the demos, etc., it varies..which really makes it cool. None of them are bad....they're all good-great. There's even a couple false starts on a couple. You can hear someone count the band off on one of them as well.

Can someone confirm if the LE and regular have the same UPC code? I want to pick mine at Target since there was an issue with my CC with Amazon, the Target listing shows the regular edition but the UPC when googled shows it's the LE.

Thanks in advance!

Still waiting for it over here. The release date on amazon.co.uk was the same as the US. But it's temporarily out of stock... I'll check the shops if it doesn't come by the weekend. I could have two copies, right? I'm waiting on the limited edition but could get the normal version to keep me going. Am I insane?

Picked mine up this morning. Got regular edition at Target. They didn't have any Limited Edition. So went to Wally World and picked up 2 Limited Editions, they didn't have any regular editions. Target didn't even have any copies out. I had the guy go get me my copies (asking for Limited Edition) but he said they only had regular edition. But at least they got copies on the shelf now. Nice full page ad in yesterday's USA Today. Heavy book. Great photos. Going to pick up 2 more copies, I need 1 regular edition for my collection and a Limited Edition for a friend. Then I will pick up other copies for Xmas gifts later. I hope everyone is enjoying the Anthology. :-)

Can you post the UPC of your copy?? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fever View Post
    Still waiting for it over here. The release date on amazon.co.uk was the same as the US. But it's temporarily out of stock... I'll check the shops if it doesn't come by the weekend. I could have two copies, right? I'm waiting on the limited edition but could get the normal version to keep me going. Am I insane?
    you're not totally insane I'm getting 2 myself (one to keep one to collect).. now getting say 5-6+ copies? unless they're all being given out or most of em for gifts? now that'd kinda be insane (IMO)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I am insane. LOL. I have 3 copies so far. I need 2 more for my collection and I will pick up 1 Limited for a friend. I have bought his Garth since the beginning and he has them all. Then for xmas gifts I will pick up a few. But yes, I have 2 Limited and 1 regular right now, just need 2 regular for my collection and I will be complete. So The Fever and Skywise, join the club. :-)

Only partially joining.. I realize the need for two copies (and prob. shoulda bought another target set) but it took me months to buy another Gunslinger CD (I had the LTD version and digital).. I started swerving away from OVER collecting his releases with the cash grab that was the 11+covers of DL.. that was ridiculous. I DO have 2 copies of TUH, but one is ltd edition and one is Pink Edition. Since Scarecrow (probably) Ive bought 2 of everything (minus the bigger boxed sets..). looking forward to reading the anthology tonight!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I'm I the only one loving the first take of That Summer?
    When we're free to love anyone we choose, when this world's big enough for all different views When we all can worship from our own kind of pew, then we shall be free

Quote Originally Posted by Garthoholic24 View Post
    I'm I the only one loving the first take of That Summer?
    I think the first take of That Summer and Sometimes You Need The Rain are my two favorites from the anthology.

Quote Originally Posted by CER956 View Post
    Can someone confirm if the LE and regular have the same UPC code? I want to pick mine at Target since there was an issue with my CC with Amazon, the Target listing shows the regular edition but the UPC when googled shows it's the LE.

Thanks in advance!
    There is a different UPC code on each. The limited edition UPC code is 9781595910998; the regular edition UPC code is 9781595910981.

*Edit...The Target online version is the limited edition. One of the pictures shows the slipcover that is included on the limited edition only.

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Several of Master versions of the songs songs sound even more enhanced than the 2014 versions. Am I crazy?

For starters, I'm looking at "Somewhere Other Than the Night," "Night Rider's Lament," and "Face to Face."

My first reaction to hearing the CD’s is the contrast between the demos and masters show how great Allen Reynolds was as a producer. Can’t wait to really dive into the book!

So sad!!! Im in australia so mine wont arrive until late november! Is anyone able to share the cds? Happy to provide proof of purchase

So far I am overwhelmed with the book, and underwhelmed with the music. Amazing pictures and stories, but way too many masters. I'll probably make a playlist of demos/first takes and call it good. The few demos/first takes we get? Whew, those are spectacular. Really loved Unanswered Prayers.

Cannot say enough how impressed I am with the book though. It's a lot larger than I expected. Seems to be pretty high quality too.
    Last edited by Mr_Sevens; 11-14-2017 at 11:35 PM.

Loving every bit of the Anthology... Bring on Part 2 tomorrow lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sevens View Post
    So far I am overwhelmed with the book, and underwhelmed with the music. Amazing pictures and stories, but way too many masters. I'll probably make a playlist of demos/first takes and call it good. The few demos/first takes we get? Whew, those are spectacular. Really loved Unanswered Prayers.

Cannot say enough how impressed I am with the book though. It's a lot larger than I expected. Seems to be pretty high quality too.
    For the most part I agree. After hearing the CD's, I would have liked 5 CD's of nothing but the demos and not a single master. I also would have liked some discussion beyond "Which One of Them" of the 6 Limited Series tracks, and also some discussion of the applicable Lost Sessions songs from this era. Finally, I would have liked a section dedicated to the Beyond the Season songs. THAT SAID, those are extreme nitpicks, and by and large I am thrilled with this release, and it really exceeded my expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by nyyankfanken View Post
    Loving every bit of the Anthology... Bring on Part 2 tomorrow lol
    That's what i'm saying I can't wait for the rest
    When we're free to love anyone we choose, when this world's big enough for all different views When we all can worship from our own kind of pew, then we shall be free

+ Reply to Thread