+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Anthology is Here (Spoiler Alert!)

The more I listen to the cds the more I wish he would have done original album with the xtras after. I don't know if I like the same songs running back to back either. I guess for comparison its cool but for listening i want to change. LOL. I have been switching from original and Anthology cds. It does bring back memories from back then. I was at Tower Records and I had a gift certificate to spend. Much To Young was being played and I loved the song. So I grabbed Garth Brooks. Popped the cd in my player and drove home with it turned up. I loved the album so much I bought a second copy for home use and another for my friend Ray. Then when No Fences came out I bought a bunch of copies for friends. I was that hooked on Garth. I hadn't been that excited by an artist since Madonna a few years before.

I got mine from Amazon today. I'm through year 1 so far. My guess on night rider's lament is that they don't have some sort of personal connection to the writing process or story. I'm guessing it was a song that he had covered at some point and wanted to put it on an album. Disclosure - I haven't gotten to Shameless to see what that looks like for a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    Why does Garth have a track that is only Trishia singing? Why does he keep cramming her down our throats? Its really annoying.
    While I can see what you mean, I disagree wholeheartedly. I don't want to be a flamethrower here, however this attitude is...prevalent...on PG and that is troubling on a multitude of levels. However, that is irrelevant to go into here. I do believe looking at her inclusion in this way is disrespectful to Trisha, her impact on Garth's career, and her career independent of him.

Like you, Randa16, I used to roll my eyes. ("In Another's Eyes again?") But since seeing this tour and reading the book, I get it. Reading the book, I learned she has sung on more Garth music than I ever imagined she would have had time for, let alone the desire to do. She is as much a part of The Garth sound as Hajacos, Casstevens, or Bouton.

Yes, when there's no context having a Trisha song plopped in randomly is a bit of a head-scratcher. But to say he's forcing her on the fans is unfair. They built amazing solo careers based on the golden age of collaboration detailed in this book. And, for the last decade and a half, have built an amazing brand as a power couple. There is a lot in there to be respected.

Apologies if this ruffles some feathers. But I feel we need to look at them both equally.
    Matt
    "Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire"-GB

For being billed as “our story written by those who were there” The Anthology reads more like a bad diary of songwriters. There should be a biography of some sort - but instead it’s page after page of incredibly droll “I went for a walk and out popped this song”. After 20 or 30 pages....it’s flat out boring as hell.

In this age most “collections” and the like come with digital download cards. Why didn’t this? Why only the ancient cds? The cds aren’t even 1/2 Filled. None of them hit 40 minutes - so why are so many songs missing? Why aren’t there demo/day-write/first take versions of all the masters that DID make it to disc, to give us some comparison on how the songs changed? There’s room on the discs. Why have master only versions of some songs - some that people have 10x or more by now with nothing to compare them to. After all, this IS a “tribute” to the songwriting.

Why does every freaking Tony Arata song have to be on here as a day-write? I get it for “The Dance”, but the rest of them are not needed. As someone who owns his solo cds - his voice sucks. Give us the GB first takes or demos for the rest of those songs.

For demos it’s a mixed bag. “Sometimes You Need The Rain” is horrible, but it at least shows how a rewrite is a good thing. Same for “That Summer” which has such a creepy original version (bordering on statutory rape and pedophilia). “Which One Of Them” shows that taking it back to an acoustic tune was the right choice in the end (even though they could’ve used all three verses in the final cut - and they wound up destroying the song anyway by letting Trisha in the studio). “What She’s Doin Now” may be the only song on the 5 discs worth its salt - and one that presents a better version than the master (which went way too dramatic with the steel). However, where are the demos or first takes for “Every Now and Then”, “Learning to Live Again”, “Standing Outside the Fire”, “We Shall Be Free”, “FILP”.......and countless others that would’ve been amazing to hear? Such a great idea that, once again, is only half delivered.

Instead of “Don’t Forget Where You’re From”, or “Can’t Fix This Broken Heart” (along with a multitude of other unreleased songs from the era) we get crap like a very boring (and over-hyped) Dan Fogelberg rip-off “Leon”, and a taxing “Like We Never Had A Broken Heart” (which at least eclipses the original due to the absence of Trisha Yearwood).

Speaking of Trisha - why didn’t they just call this the Garth Brooks Anthology featuring Trisha Yearwood? Because that’s what it is. Were there no other background singers in Nashville or did they just want to make it that obvious to everyone they were sleeping together? EVERY. DAMN. SONG. It’s a wonder she even had time to record any “solo” albums in her life since all her free time had to be spent in the studio with Garth.

After the joke that was Gunslinger I was through. I jumped into this thinking that hearing new versions or alt versions of some old friends would be nice. I’ve only left once again feeling cheated and over-sold. This Anthology serves zero purpose aside from more money/sales numbers. It’s nothing “for the fans”, and it is nothing anyone should purchase. Get it from a library, then take it back after your two weeks are up as that’s about all its worth.

Lol you sound bitter?

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    Lol you sound bitter?
    HA! Comment of the year.

Oh my word. Does no one understand that a career of this magnitude is a team effort? Trisha was Garth's collaborator. To reduce it to something obsessive and sexual is a horrible statement on both their careers. 'Garth' is not one (albeit very magnetic and enigmatic) person. 'Garth' happened because of all these collaborations. I cannot fathom how so many of us here are missing the point. Want some other examples from entertainment media?

Television: Aaron Sorkin/Thomas Schlamme (The West Wing)
    Movies: Tim Burton/Johnny Depp
    (Older) Music: Hal David/Burt Bacharach

Time and again it is the genius that happens when collaborators come together which results in something as timeless as a 'No Fences' or a 'West Wing'.

I'm so tired of people getting so histrionic about their dislike for this product or that product. It's almost like some here are LOOKING for something to dislike about a new release. You get so excited, then come crashing down. I am thrilled with the stories, intrigued by the music, and eager to see what this looks like once all 5 are out. And, given his history of box sets and other repackaging, why are we at all surprised that the discs are masters-heavy? Don't pretend you didn't know what you were getting.

If all people want to do is spew negativity and demonstrate that they are entirely missing the point to a release, then that just brings everyone down.
    Matt
    "Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire"-GB

Quote Originally Posted by GBJR77 View Post
    For being billed as “our story written by those who were there” The Anthology reads more like a bad diary of songwriters. There should be a biography of some sort - but instead it’s page after page of incredibly droll “I went for a walk and out popped this song”. After 20 or 30 pages....it’s flat out boring as hell.

In this age most “collections” and the like come with digital download cards. Why didn’t this? Why only the ancient cds? The cds aren’t even 1/2 Filled. None of them hit 40 minutes - so why are so many songs missing? Why aren’t there demo/day-write/first take versions of all the masters that DID make it to disc, to give us some comparison on how the songs changed? There’s room on the discs. Why have master only versions of some songs - some that people have 10x or more by now with nothing to compare them to. After all, this IS a “tribute” to the songwriting.

Why does every freaking Tony Arata song have to be on here as a day-write? I get it for “The Dance”, but the rest of them are not needed. As someone who owns his solo cds - his voice sucks. Give us the GB first takes or demos for the rest of those songs.

For demos it’s a mixed bag. “Sometimes You Need The Rain” is horrible, but it at least shows how a rewrite is a good thing. Same for “That Summer” which has such a creepy original version (bordering on statutory rape and pedophilia). “Which One Of Them” shows that taking it back to an acoustic tune was the right choice in the end (even though they could’ve used all three verses in the final cut - and they wound up destroying the song anyway by letting Trisha in the studio). “What She’s Doin Now” may be the only song on the 5 discs worth its salt - and one that presents a better version than the master (which went way too dramatic with the steel). However, where are the demos or first takes for “Every Now and Then”, “Learning to Live Again”, “Standing Outside the Fire”, “We Shall Be Free”, “FILP”.......and countless others that would’ve been amazing to hear? Such a great idea that, once again, is only half delivered.

Instead of “Don’t Forget Where You’re From”, or “Can’t Fix This Broken Heart” (along with a multitude of other unreleased songs from the era) we get crap like a very boring (and over-hyped) Dan Fogelberg rip-off “Leon”, and a taxing “Like We Never Had A Broken Heart” (which at least eclipses the original due to the absence of Trisha Yearwood).

Speaking of Trisha - why didn’t they just call this the Garth Brooks Anthology featuring Trisha Yearwood? Because that’s what it is. Were there no other background singers in Nashville or did they just want to make it that obvious to everyone they were sleeping together? EVERY. DAMN. SONG. It’s a wonder she even had time to record any “solo” albums in her life since all her free time had to be spent in the studio with Garth.

After the joke that was Gunslinger I was through. I jumped into this thinking that hearing new versions or alt versions of some old friends would be nice. I’ve only left once again feeling cheated and over-sold. This Anthology serves zero purpose aside from more money/sales numbers. It’s nothing “for the fans”, and it is nothing anyone should purchase. Get it from a library, then take it back after your two weeks are up as that’s about all its worth.
    At first I was thinking what a idiot but the more I read the more I realized I agree with you more than I disagree with you.

Why is the No Fences album cover the cover of the book? Why not do a collage of all the album covers or better yet have a separate book for each album?
    For each album with its own book have the original album, album of demo's, album of songs that did not make the album and DVD of concerts. You know he has video of his early concerts and would have been cool to see, plus would have helped to see the development.
    If he does this we are all still sitting on the floor in shock of how awesome it is

Things I don't understand

Why is Tony Arata on here? His voice does suck and I have no desire to listen to him ever, plus it adds nothing to the album except for me to hit next on the CD player.

Why was the Dance rock and roll version not on here? would of loved to have that.

Would to have liked to know what song on his albums did he want for singles, how were the singles selected and what songs missed the cut.

He does not mention his first wife at all. She was there from the beginning and had to have been a huge part of him making it. Guessing she worked to pay for the bills while he struggled to make it, mental support for him while he struggled. If you are telling the story you cant just act like she did nothing or was not there. Wonder if trishia told him he better not dare include her. She co wrote a song and was not even mentioned.

I know I am complaining and don't get me wrong, I am a huge garth fan and he could release an album of him humming his songs and I would buy the dam thing. Just think this could have been epic if he would have done it better

I actually found something I didn't like about the Anthology. First off, I am a Green Bay Packers fan. When I met Garth back in 2001 and got my photo taken with him, he was wearing a Minnesota Viking shirt. As I was perusing the book, I noticed he had that shirt on in one of the photos. It is hard for me to forgive him for wearing that shirt. There I said it. I admit it. Garth disappointed me.

Well any words on sales numbers yet?

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I actually found something I didn't like about the Anthology. First off, I am a Green Bay Packers fan. When I met Garth back in 2001 and got my photo taken with him, he was wearing a Minnesota Viking shirt. As I was perusing the book, I noticed he had that shirt on in one of the photos. It is hard for me to forgive him for wearing that shirt. There I said it. I admit it. Garth disappointed me.
    haha!

I'm 99.9% sure (the book is out of my arms reach and I'm not getting up for this...) that in year one he said at least once 'I was married to Sandy at the time...'

He did mention her once or twice in year one. I've just started year 2... Didn't she have a hand in That Summer? I'm she's in there a few times...

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by GBJR77 View Post

KRR, your comments are as always, pointed and not holding anything back! Man, i really appreciate that about you-

dont' know if I agree or not, I've actually not been able to read the book yet- still too busy w/ work/life

will have to see if I have similar opinions when I do
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    Lol you sound bitter?

nah I doubt he's bitter , just honest about how he feels about it..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Just finished. If you look at it as just a part of a bigger picture then it’s a good read. It’s an episode, not a season. A song, not an album. It sets up the rest of the story nicely. The change I would make is to talk about the song writing and studio sessions in depth for the first 3 years (instead of 5) and then let the big time touring sweep us away to the next chapter. They talked about getting that ‘stage energy’ onto the albums, but we haven’t been introduced to what that means yet.

For the first time since being able to purchase my own music (Fresh Horses) I’m sitting this one out. Over hyped and under delivered. I’ll get it at the library. Here’s hoping the next studio release isn’t another Gunslinger.

Quote Originally Posted by fences2312 View Post
    For the first time since being able to purchase my own music (Fresh Horses) I’m sitting this one out. Over hyped and under delivered. I’ll get it at the library. Here’s hoping the next studio release isn’t another Gunslinger.
    I dunno, I think the book is very well done! I don’t know what more you could want from it. The CDs were a bit disappointing maybe, but I think the book itself is fantastic.

And I absolutely love Gunslinger. So... different strokes for different folks I guess.

if I may ask- what was overhyped and underdelivered? not trying to critique, just get more of an understanding of what were the parts you didnt' like

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I think a lot of people (myself included) kind of expected more about the many other aspects of 89-93, rather than just the writing and recording.

He did kinda explain it well when he talked it though. I'm guessing that kind of stuff will be included in later releases, as in, stories of the road in the Live Anthology etc etc. It probably should have been called the first five albums rather than first five years. It was kind of misleading of a title.

Garth's just not exactly the type to get into the nitty gritty about his personal life. I mean, I really did not expect him to talk at all about his struggles with Sandy, about the infidelities, etc. I don't know if I would have enjoyed reading about that stuff even if he had.

Also, the book was listed as an anthology, not an autobiography. The Beatles' Anthologies didn't go into details of their personal lives. They just talked about the music. I think that's what is intended with these releases, not airing dirty laundry.
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 11-24-2017 at 12:34 AM.

Having started reading the book, I think it's fun to follow the recordings.

Then I agree that I think that too little extra material, there must be more songs they could have brought along.
    Perhaps not from the first albums, when new artists may not record 20 songs, but from Ropin 'The Wind and beyond, there should be material.

Each CD should have been the original and then an alternative recording of each song plus some or a few songs that could not be included.

BUT ... and here is the problem for us who read and write here on the forum, we are building great hopes for everything Garth gives out, and think that something will come "as we want it", but never to become, and despite that, we are equally disappointed every time. We should have learned about this now.

(Sorry if this is strangely written, I did not have time to write in English, so I ran Swedish-English in Google translate)

Let me ask y'all something, did any of you have trouble keeping the discs in the book? Whenever I changed a CD to put in a new one while reading the book one of the CD's would fall out of the slips, so after the last book I decided to put all those discs in my old CD case so not to deal with the frustration.

Reason why: if there's one element of the 90's tech I don't miss ONE. SINGLE. BIT. it's scratchy CDs and I think we've all dealt with it.

Other than that, I'd say it was a pretty decent book, decent enough where it will require multiple re-reads in the future.

The little center hole tabs are annoying and a little hard to get back in, but they’ve held the disks in just fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    if I may ask- what was overhyped and underdelivered? not trying to critique, just get more of an understanding of what were the parts you didnt' like
    I wanted music. So many masters, that I already have. I wanted a musical anthology.
    Not a picture book.
    Not takes of Tony Arata.
    I wanted outtakes, demos, false starts. An anthology. That’s not what we got. We got yet another case of the same ole music with a few “choice cuts” thrown in.
    I’m sorry, I’m extremely disappointed.

I'm reading a lot of disappointment about the Anthology here. While I admit, that I too was a bit underwhelmed upon first opening up the product, I've come to realize we have gotten exactly what the product is billed as. We have an "Anthology" not an "Autobiography". An anthology is simply a playlist of an artist's catalog. That's it. No more, no less. Garth actually gave us much more than most artist's do with their anthology releases. The book gives us some real inside looks and snippets in regards to each album cut. Do I wish they went into a bit more detail? Sure, why not? I'm a huge fan. I'd love 20 pages dedicated to each song, LOL. I personally think this anthology is a real gem. He didn't have to throw in the first takes, demos and unreleased songs that he did. This was never billed as "Lost Sessions Part Two". I've made it clear about my disappointments with Gunslinger, but I think he nailed this one right on the head.

I wanted music. So many masters, that I already have. I wanted a musical anthology.
    Not a picture book.
    O
    Not takes of Tony Arata.
    I wanted outtakes, demos, false starts. An anthology. That’s not what we got. We got yet another case of the same ole music with a few “choice cuts” thrown in.
    Ok, so if I may point out something (not defending the book itself- I've not read it yet even thigh I do have it... just been too busy).. and maybe it's 'semantics', but you talked about overhyped and underdelivered.. realistically, none of that is true alongside the statements made (see the bolded parts on your reply above). I agree, I wanted a lot different too.. I would have loved to see other alternate takes, etc and am not sure we needed to see more issuing of ''master cuts'.. BUT.. It wasn't hyped as more than '52 songs 19 of which are unreleased, etc..). that would leave 33 songs that WERE released prior... nothing really 'overhyped' there... This wasn't (from what I've been able to read/gather) ever promised to be an end all be all of what we would love to have (the alternate takes etc..) this was an anthology (as Merriam online puts it: "a collection of selected literary pieces or passages or works of art or music "). it was exactly that

Now, under-delivered? That can't be judged.. it's based on personal wants/wishes/opinions

I’m sorry, I’m extremely disappointed.
    I can understand actually, I've been extremely disappointed in Garth before too/things he's done /not done...

Maybe one day we'll get the musical side of things you really want...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Skywise summed it up pretty good. We are all different and we all expect different things. We are not going to all agree or disagree. I'd rather have something than nothing. Let us hope that he gets some feedback and maybe makes some changes. I personally loved the book. I think he could have gone more in depth on the songs and stuff. I did notice that people who were not involved for whatever reason seemed absent. Sandy is mentioned but not interviewed, Tyler England was mentioned but not interviewed, etc. I hope does an auto biography before he gets to old, while stuff is fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I hope does an auto biography before he gets to old, while stuff is fresh.
    I'd love to read a good biography/autobiography too. I'm sure Garth would try to distance himself from the idea but it'd be a great read (read 'the road out of Santa Fe' if you haven't.. it's good)

re: Sandy not being interviewed... I'd wager that maybe she was approached but turned things down? (or maybe (oooh conspiracy again ) TY kinda 86'd her involvement?)

dang I may have to read the book sooner than I thought

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread