+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anthology is Here (Spoiler Alert!)

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sevens View Post
    So far I am overwhelmed with the book, and underwhelmed with the music. Amazing pictures and stories, but way too many masters
    I've only scratched the surface of things and haven't looked too deep at it but this is my worry.. maybe my only worry- too many masters.. like the alternate takes I've heard so far
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I am more than happy with Anthology. I am now curious about the DVD and how that will be packaged. Will it be a stand alone or will it be re-packaged with the book. Or will it be released with no music but dvd instead. I am having fun rearranging my Garth music to make room for my new additions. Always love new additions to my Garth collection.

I'd love for a huge collection of sheet music to be released.. I have sheet music for everything up through MAM (only cause they didnt' release any for gunslinger) but a nice 'anthology' of that would be fun too

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

So full disclosure.... I got the book around 7 pm last night.... and I sat down read the entire thing. haha I couldn't put it down..
    I wanted to see how the stories affected my first listen to each of the discs. Glad that I did that. Today is my "listening party" for the CDs. Really made the "unveiling" of the music on the discs a treat and I looked at it different than I would have otherwise.

Will give reviews soon.

I love the idea of the book/CDs, but too many masters, in my opinion. This book is aimed at the diehard fan who already has all of the masters multiple times. Not sure why we didn't get demos/first takes/alternate versions, etc of each track and unreleased music instead. I think I am answering my own question here because why would he clean out the vault...

I am really disappointed we don't get to "hear" the demo for "Papa Loved Mama" like Garth stated months ago when this thing was first discussed, but I love the stories behind each track. Either way, I think it's really cool. Love the demo of "Which One Of Them" which is full band, surprisingly. Gives us a different presentation for sure, although the box set version is my favorite since it's what I am used to hearing. I am wondering if it's marked demo, but was an alternate version instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    There is a different UPC code on each. The limited edition UPC code is 9781595910998; the regular edition UPC code is 9781595910981.

*Edit...The Target online version is the limited edition. One of the pictures shows the slipcover that is included on the limited edition only.

Paula
    Thank you Paula! I didn't see your post until after I went to Walmart to pick mine up, got the LE and the slipcase really adds to the look, I'm glad I opted for it. They had about 9 books front and center in the pitiful book dept and I was able to look for the one with the less dents, great set for $27.00 with tax.

I only listened to the Chase and In Pieces discs but as others have said I too am underwhelmed with the masters to outtakes ratio. As stated, this is for hardcore fans, we should've gotten more unreleased stuff but I guess that's just Garth's MO, always has been. I need to buy some empty jewel cases for the CD's as the little tab that keeps them in place made a small scratch on my In Pieces disc.

Quote Originally Posted by CER956 View Post
    I need to buy some empty jewel cases for the CD's as the little tab that keeps them in place made a small scratch on my In Pieces disc.
    Mine haven't been damaged, but I'm not taking any chances, I ripped the audio on my iMac and will not be using the physical discs.. I'm glad though, that I'm not the only one who at least sees an issue there.. I like the packaging, but the way the discs are held in w/ the tab? if it isn't damaging (as you evidence with your quote) discs, it does seem like id' be flimsy with repeated uses..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

The book
    I loved the book and the stories behind each song. I really enjoyed learning how he choose the album name and cover pics. I think it would have been better if each album had its own book instead of only one big one. I enjoyed it and it was awesome

The music
    The music sucked for the most part. I did enjoy hearing That summer with different words but really a huge disappointment. Why would I want to hear someone else sing garths music? Why does Garth have a track that is only Trishia singing? Why does he keep cramming her down our throats? Its really annoying. Why do I need yet another CD with the same songs? I would have been really happy if he would have released a CD for each album with 5 songs that did not make the album. I would have been happy if it would have been every song in acoustic.

This book is not for just the avg Garth fan this is for the die hard fans and it should have been done to give us something special with the music. If I would have got 20 new songs I would have lost my mind and been really happy. The CD part was just really a huge disappointment for me.

So, a question for anyone who has already gone through the book, does he explain somewhere why Night Rider's Lament is missing in the Table of Contents on page 7 for the Year 4 list? I didn't find it in a quick scan of the book either.

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    So, a question for anyone who has already gone through the book, does he explain somewhere why Night Rider's Lament is missing in the Table of Contents on page 7 for the Year 4 list? I didn't find it in a quick scan of the book either.

Paula
    He probably forgot it, as every song from all the other albums are here, too bad too
    'All the way to Tacoma, by then I hope you're out of my mind.'

Yeah, its not there.. I noticed it right away... Bummer its not too.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAgnstMachine View Post
    Yeah, its not there.. I noticed it right away... Bummer its not too.
    Huh! That’s interesting since Night Rider’s Lament is one of the select “Master” tracks he included on the CD.

oh man- conspiracy time maybe Garth is gonna realize the 'problem' and then 'reissue' a new version with it included, and another song or two

Ok, that's a smart aleck comment I know..

wonder if it's because there was some issue with Michael Burton (the original writer of the song)? maybe he didn't allow its' inclusion for some reason? just a thought...

but dang- now I'll have to go looking for that when I go through the book.....

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

What are the chances he will peruse the comments and take notes for Part 2?

peruse these comments? ehh- honestly not TOO likely, not directly.. It wouldn't surprise me at all if someone in Garth's 'crew' or extended 'family' of people did read though...

will he take them to heart / take notes or part 2? prob. not

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

There's also a big typo on page 7 in the Table of Contents. Under year Five, Which One of Them mistakenly reads "Which One of ThemW"

And even if Michael Burton did have an issue with Night Rider's Lament being included in the book, I don't think he could have legally prevented Garth or Allen Reynolds from talking about recording it. And even then, why would he stop Garth from talking about his song in the book, but then allow Garth to include the song on the CD that comes in the book? It's just weird.

Turns out the UK Amazon didn't have any of the books and looks like they won't because it's just sellers selling them, probably with crazy shipping fees. Had to order it from amazon.com (coming from USA) and including shipping it was actually less than what it would cost me had UK Amazon was to ship it to me. It was €30 including shipping which was an absolute steal.

Just more waiting for it to arrive.

gotcha! - I'm wondering if someone will rip the pages into an electronic format / make the book portion an e-book...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I agree with what most everyone else is saying about The Anthology. I've almost finished the book, which is a great read and definitely geared toward the true die hard fan. The music leaves me feeling a bit underwhelmed. Maybe I was wanting something more along the lines of The Lost Sessions. Still a great project, but as far as the music, I couldn't find something on there that I had to put on repeat.

I could, I loved that summer demo, Tony Arata kick in and screamin
    'All the way to Tacoma, by then I hope you're out of my mind.'

I like the new music. I wish there was more. I was really looking forward to hearing Papa Loved Mama. But I can't stop listening to that summer.

Quote Originally Posted by pparish View Post
    I like the new music. I wish there was more. I was really looking forward to hearing Papa Loved Mama. But I can't stop listening to that summer.
    Papa Loved Mama? There isn't a version of that on the Anthology. Was there supposed to be?

While everyone is giving their thoughts on the Anthology I thought I would give mine. Overall I think the project is fabulous! Like most on here I did notice the fact that "Night Rider's Lament" wasn't in the book and was very curious about that. If it is an oversight that is a big one. Other than that, the book is amazing.

As far as the music is concerned, I really enjoyed the unreleased stuff that is there. LOVE the "new" verse of "Which One of Them" and think this version is better than the one we originally got in The Limited Series. I was aware of this "new" verse because it is on The Hungry Years. Just nice to hear it in this demo form. Also found myself loving the alternate version of "Somewhere Other Than The Night".

Like most, I wish there was more of this stuff, but I'm just thrilled we got 19 cuts in this first volume. Never thought Garth would give us demos, outtakes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    Papa Loved Mama? There isn't a version of that on the Anthology. Was there supposed to be?
    I think Garth mentioned it once on Inside Studio G.

I’m really liking Leon.

What I want to know is this another American release? I got my hopes up for a bit when you were able to pre-order it on the UK Amazon and now it looks as if they aren't selling it at all. I did have to order it from the American Amazon but why is everything for the Americans?

Loved the info on new album at end. He is working on it but Anthology is taking up time.

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    Loved the info on new album at end. He is working on it but Anthology is taking up time.
    I for one would love a new album next year, but in truth, Gunslinger still seems to be going strong with AMHIK, and I think there's 2-3 more songs on Gunslinger that could be fantastic singles. So.... my guess is that with the Anthology series and everything else he's doing, it'll be at least 2019 or 2020 before we get a new album. Hope he surprises me though!

+ Reply to Thread