+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Lip Sync-gate

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    ... I think everyone needs to move on
    No... simply put, no.. people dont 'need to move on'.. just because some don't want to realize another chink has opened up i n the armor of the idol... (and no I'm not accusing anyone directly of idolizing him... in some way, we all do.....)

and get excited by The Anthology 1 and hope it does gangbusters on the Book Chart
    absolutely- but rather than derail the topic of this thread i'll hold off on book comments for a book thread
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    I know I went to PG for years before I ever started commenting. So there are people reading who it's a big deal to but not commenting. There maybe disagreement, but doesn't mean people don't have strong feelings about it.

Amen to that!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Some more words of support from another country artist.
    https://www.facebook.com/jamesotto/p...54795007126415

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Some more words of support from another country artist.
    https://www.facebook.com/jamesotto/p...54795007126415

Paula
    here's what he said

In defense of Garth lip syncing (not that he needs defending by me) Garth as do all performers agree to these performances months in advance. Custom stages and sets are built specifically for these performances and the awards show production is built around a performer like this. So if they’re sick the night of the performance they can’t just be replaced last minute with some other act. It doesn’t work that way. Garth did what he had to do.
    OK- the one thing I take exception to in his comments....

Garth wasn't SICK.. He overworked his voice (voluntarily, by singing at the shows prior)... if it's documented he was sick then it's a diff. story- but from what I've heard/seen, it was due to his overplaying concerts/shows- that's his own doing, and thus he is rightly due criticism for his faking a performance.. is it old news? maybe- should we move on? sure.. is it a stain on country music? well it certainly moves it closer to other types of music.. is it a stain on Garth's reputation? that's a matter of opinion I think..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I think it's just more evidence that these things aren't a high priority to Garth. His career and making records like the live album that he recorded the weekend before it is.

Garth wasn't SICK.. He overworked his voice
    In interviews with Access Hollywood, Extra and another show I didn't catch the name of on the red carpet feed he said he'd been sick the last couple days and wasn't sure if he'd be singing live or to a track. He's human.
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by BLL View Post
    In interviews with Access Hollywood, Extra and another show I didn't catch the name of on the red carpet feed he said he'd been sick the last couple days and wasn't sure if he'd be singing live or to a track. He's human.
    ahh- I'll have to go back and watch it again/see these shows( I don't get the chance to see shows like that very often) and see about the red carpet stuff..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

His voice sounded like he had been sick and wore out on Studio G a bit.

I got a confession to make, I think this entire conflict would've been a lot more personal on my end. Aside from being loyal to Garth because of me listening to him since I was a baby, I've also been a loyal fan to one of the co-writers of "Tin Man" Jack Ingram because he saved my life. I didn't listen to Miranda or Anderson East back then and because of them running their mouths I will not buy their music in protest, Jack Ingram on the other hand, I do not plan to waiver in my loyalty of buying his music and I think he has enough decency to not throw mud at anybody, but that's what made it almost more conflicting for me, if he did throw mud at Garth, my loyalties to both artists seriously would've been questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    I got a confession to make, I think this entire conflict would've been a lot more personal on my end. Aside from being loyal to Garth because of me listening to him since I was a baby
    Man, you're killing me here I first listened to Garth on the way to College orientation (and that was in 1990/1991)

I've also been a loyal fan to one of the co-writers of "Tin Man" Jack Ingram because he saved my life. I didn't listen to Miranda or Anderson East back then and because of them running their mouths I will not buy their music in protest, Jack Ingram on the other hand, I do not plan to waiver in my loyalty of buying his music and I think he has enough decency to not throw mud at anybody, but that's what made it almost more conflicting for me, if he did throw mud at Garth, my loyalties to both artists seriously would've been questioned.
    I've heard the name Jack Ingram but have never listened to him. I've not heard Anderson East and I can say I'd give him a listen, but not in a way that gives him any profit/$.. Miranda I watched on Nashville Star, and she was good then, but her 2nd album (Kerosene? or was that 3rd, I don't know) wasn't good and I lost interest.. kinda like w/ Kellie Pickler, only not as quick.... I DO still have her self titled indy album I think, and it's autographed, but I'll be looking to part with that most likely....

I think they make some valid points honestly (I'm not buying Garth's excuses on the lip syncing and I do think it was a wrong thing to do... plain and simple.. Not when it could have been 'worked around'... HOWEVER... Anderson's comments (I mean, Miranda really? she's 'sticking up for her man' nothing more) though? eh- he's kinda (as I look at it more) trying to glom on to the situation / get a name for himself.. He's a new artist on Elektra records, there are only 13 artists that I see on that label, and the only one I recognized (other than Anderson due to his comments) was the Zac Brown Band.. thats it.. He's trying to get fame out of it, I think.. IMO (the more I read about it)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

And that's exactly what I mean by mudslinging, what Anderson did was nothing more than for him to get cheap press, I'll admit I was willing to give him a chance because he's being produced by Dave Cobb along with Jason Isbell and Chris Stapleton and he actually has a good voice, but this whole debacle basically made me lose any consideration of listening to him. I hope this entire thing makes them disappear out of the mainstream and I hope Miranda never gets another radio hit again. Sorry if y'all don't agree with me on that but that's where I'm standing.

I think Miranda may have lost some steam w/o being part of a marriage with Blake Shelton but I'm just guessing.. seems like she's fallen down to mid card some IMO..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I understand thinking the voice wasn’t up to the job at the time. Fine. But I’m hung up on the departure from what I see as ‘the norm’. Why the mic stand? Why a strat instead of the acoustic (or at least a tele)? Why only part of the band? Why the fender amp? Those are what bug me.

Quote Originally Posted by StormHawk View Post
    I understand thinking the voice wasn’t up to the job at the time. Fine. But I’m hung up on the departure from what I see as ‘the norm’. Why the mic stand? Why a strat instead of the acoustic (or at least a tele)? Why only part of the band? Why the fender amp? Those are what bug me.
    Hmm.. I would be willing to wager that Garth either didnt' put THAT much thought into it, or it was more of a 'well since I'm not gonna actually sing it, I'll not bring all my gear' (band, etc..) (but again that may just be me)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

On the mic my thinking is that the production was set up for one set of House mics for all performances. No BYOB possible. I think the headset could have helped the lip sync as one major tell was when he was singing Way away from the mic. 14m people watching? Details, people!

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    I think Miranda may have lost some steam w/o being part of a marriage with Blake Shelton but I'm just guessing.. seems like she's fallen down to mid card some IMO..
    I wish. I think she has won more awards since they broke up as a way of the industry trying to make her feel better over the whole thing. She did not deserve the album of the year compared to who she was up against. It's been that way since she took home all the awards at the ACMs that were at the Cowboy Stadium a couple of years ago.

I think it's more of Anderson trying to get press. He would have done it to whoever won that a flaw in their performance.

Quote Originally Posted by BLL View Post
    He is human- but he's telling a lie to someone- be it the access hollywood/extra/other show peeps or the people from the Oklahoman interview (talked about in another thread here: http://www.planetgarth.com/forums/sh...172#post430172 )

in that article a question is asked
    AP: You've performed live for years, so why did you decide to lip sync at the CMAs?
    Garth responded:

Brooks: I think I know Tacoma really well, that was five nights (of shows there) three days right before (the CMAs), it's an indoor football stadium, so you go in there and you're just fighting your guts out to try and reach the person that's in the very back ... it's real physical and real demanding but very rewarding. So I knew they were going to kick my (expletive) and then I've got seven nights in Spokane the day after the CMAs. So the week before Tacoma while we were in Nashville we went in and did a (pre-recorded) track just for the CMAs, and then decided we'd do a game-time decision, and when it was game time it wasn't a hard decision for me to make at all. I don't think it's any secret some people have a different opinion. Knowing now what I knew then, even after all this crap, if it happened the same way again next week, I'd do lip syncing again.
    So, garth is changing his stories, it seems.. Was he SICK, or was he worried about the crowd..

Someone's being lied to... First it was the fans/audience with his "performance".. now it's the media on TV or the Oklahoman....

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Or maybe it was both? Sick and shows?��

So here is where I am at with all of it
    I was disappointed he did not sing live, I think he missed a chance impress the younger generation with his song but I can understand his voice was shot due to either concerts or being sick. I am not mad at him just disappointed.
    As far as Miranda it changes the way I feel about her. She is not a very good person to begin with (many say she cheated on Blake), garth praises her after the show and I thought country music was one big family. I was driving the other day when her song came on and I turned the channel. It will take a long time before I can listen to her again. As far as her new boy toy he can kiss my a$$ done with that POS and would refuse to ever listen to him.

I have never been a fan of Miranda only cd I have with her on it it is that reality show she did like American Idol. She has never impressed me and I think she rode on Blake Shelton's coattails. I had never registered her boyfriend ever. When either of them ever approaches Garth as an artist maybe I will change my mind but I doubt it. Garth and George Strait are the Frank Sinatra's of their generation and deserve respect. I am sorry people are disappointed with the Lip Sync but like I said previously, American Bandstand, award shows and variety shows back in the 60's, 70's etc had tons of lip sync and had bigger audiences as far as ratings and it didn't seem to hurt them. People can nit pick and push negativity but in the scope of things it was a small misstep and he should be forgiven. JMHO

+ Reply to Thread