+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 81

Thread: Lip Sync-gate

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    I see what you are saying but disagree. If he would have been anything like he was when he sang Mom in GMA a couple of years ago I think more would be talking about how bad he was.

    He was sick. He said it up front. He wanted to give a quality performance.
    We can agree to disagree, but I don't think his voice was that bad. He talked all week to radio stations, on the red carpet, and gave an acceptance speech where he sounded pretty normal to me. He then turned around and started a 7 show run less than 48 hours later. His voice wasn't THAT shot. Part of being a professional singer would be taking care of your voice. If his voice is in that bad of shape, that he cannot perform a 3 minute song, that is his fault. The fact that no other artist did it kind of hammers that point home.
    Last edited by rhd13; 11-11-2017 at 10:56 AM.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Just south of nowhere
    Posts
    1,351
    No other artist did the 12 shows in 10 days and no other artist has toured as much on his level. Like Bobby Bones said, take care of the paying fans...If you worried about it that much, buy a ticket to his show.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    No other artist did the 12 shows in 10 days and no other artist has toured as much on his level. Like Bobby Bones said, take care of the paying fans...If you worried about it that much, buy a ticket to his show.
    So no one thinks I'm "trolling" I want to stress I am a HUGE Garth fan. I've been to 27 full shows (going to 5 more in Nashville), and been to dozens of other Opry appearances, TV shows, etc. I am a Garth fan. However, I feel a little bit like Skywise. As much as I love Garth I sometimes believe he makes poor decisions.

    The issue here is this. If there were 20,000 people at each of these 12 shows that means he reached 240,000 people over this 10 day run. He had to play 2 - 2 1/2 hours at every one of those shows to reach less than a quarter of a million people. The CMA Awards garnered an audience of about 14 million. Other than the Super Bowl or the Grammys the CMA Awards is the SINGLE BIGGEST AUDIENCE any country artist will get to perform for in their lifetime. Those slots are coveted and every artist takes great care to make sure those performances present them in the best possible light. They meticulously comb over every single detail. This is why I struggle with his excuse. He is going to be performing to 14 million people and this is his moment to show why he is "country music's brightest star" as Brad Paisley called him. This is the moment where everyone from the age of 8 to 80 who cares anything about country music tunes in. My grandmother literally watched this show and so did my 9 year old son. This is THE MOMENT you can prove why you deserve that Entertainer of the Year award.

    Why would ANYONE perform that many shows in that many days knowing that their voice could even POTENTIALLY not be in tip-top shape for that performance? Many performers go on vocal rest for these moments and limit their amount of shows, number of interviews, etc. so they are primed for that moment. This is their Olympics moment.

    This is why I struggle so bad with Garth's excuses about why he did it. Sure, I believe him that his voice may not have been at it's best, but it goes back to the question I asked, who's fault is that?

    Instead of killing a performance of "Ask Me How I Know", which was a highlight the last time I saw him live, the story is he didn't even sing it. I think the bigger issue is there are now people out there asking the question, "Did he even sing live when I saw him?" I saw people commenting about the Nashville show that they weren't going to pay to see someone move their mouth. We, as Garth fans, know he sings live in concert, but there are many out there who don't recognize that this was a one-off at an awards show (make that a two-off now). They may think this is common place for him. I don't care what anyone says, bad publicity is not always good publicity.

    I know his voice may not have been at its 100% best, but it was good enough to start a 7 show run less than 48 hours later. I'm just not convinced that a 3 minute performance was going to screw his voice up so bad that he couldn't perform to the paying public in Spokane. It was good enough to do interviews all week. If it was THAT BIG of a concern he could have limited those.

    Everyone will believe what they want, but I believe this goes back to the whole issue that people like myself and Skywise have that he wants to present everything as being so polished that it sometimes bites him in the rear. I believe this is one of those moments.

    The excuse of "no one tours at this level" just doesn't fly for me. Again, he MADE THE DECISION to do this to himself the week of the CMAs. As I said before, that is poor planning at best. Would be like an Olympic athlete wearing themselves down the week of the Olympics.
    Last edited by rhd13; 11-11-2017 at 11:36 AM.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Beautiful Oregon..
    Posts
    4,816
    I'm not so sure about his concern for concert-goers. He knows he won't hit every note for 2+ hours each night. He knows he will screw up lyrics now and then at a show. That is why YT videos of his shows are killed very quickly. It was different because he was performing in front of his peers (his "competition" per se) and in front of 15+ million people on TV. I am sure he felt the product had to be perfect.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    398
    I also think it is worth asking how we would respond if we inserted Luke Bryan into this situation instead of Garth. Would we all be rushing to defend Luke's touring schedule, the number of shows he has played, etc.? I don't think it is right for any artist to lip sync under any circumstances. If you can't do it don't perform.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by Garthmedic View Post
    I'm not so sure about his concern for concert-goers. He knows he won't hit every note for 2+ hours each night. He knows he will screw up lyrics now and then at a show. That is why YT videos of his shows are killed very quickly. It was different because he was performing in front of his peers (his "competition" per se) and in front of 15+ million people on TV. I am sure he felt the product had to be perfect.
    Can I get an amen!!!

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    509
    We know you are not trolling rhd13. I've always enjoyed the insight you give on here.

    If it was Luke Bryan, we would also know that Bryan do as many shows for the fans or put in the same amount of work. Though I have heard his shows are good.

    His talking voice is rarely affected like his singing voice his. So I think the argument about doing a lot of his interviews is irrelevant.

    Like I asked before, how do we know he could have arranged his touring schedule around the CMAs with sporting events and things having priority over concerts if the home team is in town?

    But do we need to be reminded, this is the same guy that has bucked the establishment his whole career. Does he really feel like he needs to make the industry and it's shows a priority over doing things his way and putting his career first which has turned out pretty good for him? His focus has been that live album he wanted to sound good for at a place like Tacoma that had great acoustics for it.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    We know you are not trolling rhd13. I've always enjoyed the insight you give on here.

    If it was Luke Bryan, we would also know that Bryan do as many shows for the fans or put in the same amount of work. Though I have heard his shows are good.

    His talking voice is rarely affected like his singing voice his. So I think the argument about doing a lot of his interviews is irrelevant.

    Like I asked before, how do we know he could have arranged his touring schedule around the CMAs with sporting events and things having priority over concerts if the home team is in town?

    But do we need to be reminded, this is the same guy that has bucked the establishment his whole career. Does he really feel like he needs to make the industry and it's shows a priority over doing things his way and putting his career first which has turned out pretty good for him? His focus has been that live album he wanted to sound good for at a place like Tacoma that had great acoustics for it.
    I think it is totally fine that we have different opinions and see this differently. At the end of the day we can respectfully disagree and both be huge Garth fans. I think the whole reason this incident bothered me so bad is because I want the rest of the world to see, and understand, why we all love the guy so much. As I said in the other thread, I just think he is better than lip syncing. Unfortunately, those who don't like Garth just got more ammunition to support their point.

    On a side note, I just want to say that I appreciate the people on this board. Although I don't know any of you personally I appreciate the way that we can disagree about things and discuss things and, for the most part, still be kind and respectful of one another. I know every now and then things get testy between people, but that has never been my personal experience. Everyone has always been so kind and I appreciate it. At the end of the day we have a whole lot more in common than we have differences and I love the fact we can all come here and discuss Garth no matter what the opinion is. Nice to have that outlet.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Posts
    822
    Acts lip sync on award shows all the time Iím sure ..

    And come on itís not like he was singing along with the cd. It sounded ďliveĒ if that makes sense .

    Itís an award show folks ...he was nominated for entertainer of the year , he wanted to represent country music .. and he did .
    In the land, of the midnight sun!

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Acts lip sync on award shows all the time I’m sure ..

    And come on it’s not like he was singing along with the cd. It sounded “live” if that makes sense .

    It’s an award show folks ...he was nominated for entertainer of the year , he wanted to represent country music .. and he did .
    Historically some acts have lip synced on awards shows. However, no one else did it at the CMAs this year and just because others have done it doesn't make it OK. Lots of people murder and steal but that doesn't make it OK. Just sayin'.

    I don't think lip syncing "represents" country music at all, but I'm starting to think that's just me. How Garth justifies this by saying he wants to "represent" country music is beyond me.
    Last edited by rhd13; 11-11-2017 at 04:34 PM.

  11. #41
    I alos know rhd isnt trolling, he makes same fair points.

    My question is, would Anderson East had of said the same thing if it had of been Luke Byran, no because there
    would've been no publicity for him.

    He certainly would've kept his mouth shut if it had of been George Strait.

    The "Im truly offended" bit got to me, it was so so self righteous.

    Ive always liked the Ricky Gervais quote, "Just because your offended, doesnt make you right."

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    398
    I know some will be surprised I'm saying this, but at the end of the day it isn't a big deal as long as it doesn't happen again. My concern is this may be a new pattern for big award shows/national TV appearances. This is now twice he has had an award show performance and lip synced since his comeback. As far as I know, he never lip synced an awards show performance prior to that. Just don't want this to be the new normal for him. If it is I do think it is a big deal.

  13. #43
    I think the bigger problem is Miranda publicly taking a shot at him. He and his management shouldn’t have overbooked him around early November, but with that said he is the reason that the CMA Awards are not broadcast from the Opry anymore. All of these artists should show him the respect that Lee Brice, Blake Shelton, and Randy Travis have the last few days. Miranda’s music has been deleted off my phone. I owned every album she released and will never give her another penny again.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by CBooUF View Post
    I think the bigger problem is Miranda publicly taking a shot at him. He and his management shouldnít have overbooked him around early November, but with that said he is the reason that the CMA Awards are not broadcast from the Opry anymore. All of these artists should show him the respect that Lee Brice, Blake Shelton, and Randy Travis have the last few days. Mirandaís music has been deleted off my phone. I owned every album she released and will never give her another penny again.
    I know someone who went to high school with her. He said she was extremely stuck up and no one really cared for her. I would expect you need a good amount of her confidence to do what she has done. But I think she has let her success has gone to her head. Unlike the legend she is taking shots at.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Just south of nowhere
    Posts
    1,351
    The fact is it shouldn't be this big of a deal. What was played was a LIVE recording in an empty arena he lip sang to. You in essence heard Garth sing it LIVE. It was not a polished studio recording. As I stated earlier, if you were listening to it on radio, as I was, you had NO IDEA it was a recording.
    Yes, we all wish it was not likely synced, it was, it's over, let's move on to the Anthology now!!!

  16. #46
    [QUOTE=rhd13;429976]

    I think the bigger issue is there are now people out there asking the question, "Did he even sing live when I saw him?" I saw people commenting about the Nashville show that they weren't going to pay to see someone move their mouth. We, as Garth fans, know he sings live in concert, but there are many out there who don't recognize that this was a one-off at an awards show (make that a two-off now). They may think this is common place for him. I don't care what anyone says, bad publicity is not always good publicity.

    QUOTE]

    I think you hit the nail absolutely on the head with the bolded. I am a Garth fan, and the question popped into my head, "Has he done this any other time?"

    And, as you also said (in a part I didn't include) that feeling / concern is increased by the fact that this is the same person who was crowned Entertainer of the Year.

    And, (as much as we don't agree with this), the industry focuses these days on younger artists - Garth winning this award was a big exception. And this incident gives the ageists some ammunition. They can rationalize, "Look how worn out someone that age gets from all that performing" and make that a "legitimate" reason to focus on younger artists (whether we would agree with or accept that, or not.)

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    The fact is it shouldn't be this big of a deal. What was played was a LIVE recording in an empty arena he lip sang to. You in essence heard Garth sing it LIVE. It was not a polished studio recording. As I stated earlier, if you were listening to it on radio, as I was, you had NO IDEA it was a recording.
    Yes, we all wish it was not likely synced, it was, it's over, let's move on to the Anthology now!!!
    Since I only watched the performance twice I don't know if that is true or not that the recording was a "live" recording he lip synced to. It certainly is possible. That doesn't mean it wasn't "polished" though. He could have went over it 2 or 3 times or even overdubbed the vocals to get them right. (A privilege all the other artists didn't have since they did it live.) My question would be when was this "live" performance recorded? Was it taped during rehearsal? If so, how was he able to perform just fine in rehearsal but not on the broadcast? Wouldn't that mean his excuse of his voice being shot was nothing more than a lie? Just saying. If it was recorded several weeks ago then that means he was at least considering to lip sync the entire time which also goes against what he said that it was a last minute decision. It just doesn't all add up. Goes back to what I've said all along. It was a safety net to make the performance look/sound as polished as possible.

    I said it above, but I'd be fascinated what these discussions would look like if Luke Bryan lip synced and then won Entertainer of the Year. I have a feeling everyone wouldn't be so dismissive of it if he had done it.

  18. #48
    Who gives a flying crap and why are you making so a big deal about it. People are totally overreacting just like Miranda and whoever is her boyfriend is. Will life suddenly cease because of this?
    Last edited by wimpy77; 11-12-2017 at 12:16 AM.

  19. #49
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    Who gives a flying crap and why are you making so a big deal about it. People are totally overreacting just like Miranda and whoever is her boyfriend.
    Obviously several people care in case you haven't noticed.

  20. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Obviously several people care in case you haven't noticed.
    If those 2 hadn't said anything would anyone be talking about it?

  21. #51
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    If those 2 hadn't said anything would anyone be talking about it?
    You're smart enough to answer that on your own.

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    Who gives a flying crap and why are you making so a big deal about it. People are totally overreacting just like Miranda and whoever is her boyfriend is. Will life suddenly cease because of this?
    Not necessarily trying to make a big deal out of it. People do care though and it wouldnít be in virtually every story about the CMAs if they didnít. Every single person I know that watched the CMAs asked me why I thought Garth did it. I actually donít understand why everyone on PG acts like itís not a big deal. I forget there are many who think Garth can do no wrong (which was why I left the board for a long time at one point.) For a guy who talks about being authentic I think itís pretty lame move. My bad for not bowing before Garthís throne.

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Beautiful Oregon..
    Posts
    4,816
    RESPECT OPINIONS, Everyone...

  24. #54
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    398
    Since it appears Iím the problem for having a dissenting view I will refrain from posting anymore in this thread. Not trying to cause a problem just enjoy chatting about Garth. I forget unflattering opinions arenít always received well.

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    561
    It's done, and I guess Garth would do it the same if he had chance to do over? I assume he performed on the CMA's to help his sales, and get his name out there. They probably told him he was going to win that award, so it was almost necessary that he perform.

    He had the opportunity to turn this exposure on a nationally televised stage into a positive thing, and unfortunately lost it when he lip synced. There is a reason people like seeing music Live, you get many intangibles that are not part of the album's vocal track. People often will go out and buy an song/album after hearing it Live.

    It's not the end of the world, and it was his decision, so he should live with any valid criticism. He may have even expected it.

  26. #56
    For me, the whole issue is about the self righteousness of this Anderson East guy.

    Garth has done so much for country music, its not like he lip syncs his concerts of have lipsync every tv performance.

    I only know of 2 tv shows that Garth has done this in 28 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    So for East to be highely offended, is probably quite sad really, perhaps someone should call him a
    wambulance.

  27. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    LA/Long Beach area
    Posts
    1,594
    Maybe it is because I am old and grew up with artists lip syncing in the early years. It doesn't bother me if anyone lip syncs on TV. I go to concerts to hear them live. One song on TV doesn't give a great view of a live show. Are you telling me that an artist singing live on TV is going to give the full picture of a live show? I think everyone needs to move on and get excited by The Anthology 1 and hope it does gangbusters on the Book Chart. I was looking at the non fiction charts and most books sold about 35,000 to be #1. I think Garth can do that many in a week with no problem. I think it will be cool to listen to the five cds while reading the book. Now only if the weather would cooperate and give us some rain.

  28. #58
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    Not necessarily trying to make a big deal out of it. People do care though and it wouldn’t be in virtually every story about the CMAs if they didn’t. Every single person I know that watched the CMAs asked me why I thought Garth did it. I actually don’t understand why everyone on PG acts like it’s not a big deal. I forget there are many who think Garth can do no wrong (which was why I left the board for a long time at one point.) For a guy who talks about being authentic I think it’s pretty lame move. My bad for not bowing before Garth’s throne.
    I know I went to PG for years before I ever started commenting. So there are people reading who it's a big deal to but not commenting. There maybe disagreement, but doesn't mean people don't have strong feelings about it.

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    6,516
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    Since it appears I’m the problem for having a dissenting view I will refrain from posting anymore in this thread. Not trying to cause a problem just enjoy chatting about Garth. I forget unflattering opinions aren’t always received well.
    hey there Ryan- as one who has both rightly and wrongly been on the receiving end of flames and snippy remarks because of 'dissenting views' concerning Garth... dont EVER feel like you can't have that opinion- or that you can't share it.. Whether Wimpy or Bitter (chill guys..) or others don't like it- you can have your opinion..

    it's kinda spot on if you ask me- bringing something up isn't necessarily making a big deal out of it any more than sharing that it's not a big deal and move on is explaining it away or sweeping it under the rug, or protecting the pedestal that the idol sits on....

    they are opinions plain and simple- you really shouldn't let your views about Garth be silenced by a vocal group .. just sayin..
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  30. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    6,516
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGarthFan View Post
    It's done, and I guess Garth would do it the same if he had chance to do over? I assume he performed on the CMA's to help his sales, and get his name out there. They probably told him he was going to win that award, so it was almost necessary that he perform.
    yep= and honestly Garth still could have easily avoided the whole thing- as some artists have pointed out, these singing arrangements are done months in advance. Garth may not announce, but you know he has ideas of where his tour is going months in advance.. (if you believe otherwise? well can't sugar coat it- you're wrong) ergo- you can adjust the tour to make sure you have time around a proposed singing opportunity/appearance.. If you truly wanted to..

    He had the opportunity to turn this exposure on a nationally televised stage into a positive thing, and unfortunately lost it when he lip synced. There is a reason people like seeing music Live, you get many intangibles that are not part of the album's vocal track. People often will go out and buy an song/album after hearing it Live.
    absofreakinglutely.. It's what makes live music so much better at times than polished recordings.. it's what makes KISS such an incredible band to see live, and what makes John Anderson so much like a sedative it's not funny when you see him live... the "intangibles".. the nuances that aren't covered up in a studio


    It's not the end of the world, and it was his decision, so he should live with any valid criticism. He may have even expected it.
    he made his bed, he should lie in it, not have people try to make it for him... (ok, analogies all over hte place tonight!
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts