+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Out of touch....

In the USA, the best country in the world

Out of touch....

Ok, I fully am aware that this may not be a popular opinion.. however.. I (and some others) have in different ways/avenues espoused the idea that Garth may be out of touch with things, and the way he does things... (i.e. iTunes, etc..). Here's proof of that, 'from the horse's mouth' as it were...

From the CMT article about his CMA win (and his backstage comments...)

"Brooks added that it shocks him that hes still as relevant as he was when he charted his first single 28 years ago. Except at this time in his career, hes not signed to a major label."

Not signed to a major label, true- he pretty much IS his own label.. however..

"shocks him that he's still as relevant as he was when he charted his first single 28 years ago..." THAT's where Garth is wrong.. I wish it were the case.. I wish it were true but it's not. When he walked away from music, music moved on. Garth is (painfully) nowhere near as 'relevant' as he was back when he charted in 1989..

Unless he means not relevant, because he wasn't relevant at the time of the first charting single- not as he would be months later..
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

What I take from this, is that it's very hard to have longevity these days in any career, especially since Garth has technically been at it for 30+ years now. In a way he's kinda become the new George Strait in terms of radio relevance.

I do think that people still hold Strait in high regard like I do, but I think radio is done with him (which pisses me off). Garth on the other hand is still able to pull off getting relevance in Country Radio, even though I think he did pull off some dumb moves, but if things go well maybe by the end of the year he'll get his first number one song since More Than a Memory.

So that's kinda what I take from this.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    What I take from this, is that it's very hard to have longevity these days in any career, especially since Garth has technically been at it for 30+ years now
    true 'nough- Garth's "longevity problems" in this case though may have been with the way the 'retirement' was handled in the first place.. IMO.. (but hat's another can of worms to open later)

. In a way he's kinda become the new George Strait in terms of radio relevance.
    how so?

I do think that people still hold Strait in high regard like I do, but I think radio is done with him (which pisses me off). Garth on the other hand is still able to pull off getting relevance in Country Radio, even though I think he did pull off some dumb moves, but if things go well maybe by the end of the year he'll get his first number one song since More Than a Memory.

So that's kinda what I take from this.
    I'd like to see it but I don't think you'll see Ask me how I know at #1..
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

What I think is important is that he is relevant to me! I don't care if other people don't like his music- new or old. I don't care care if he hits #1 or #100. If I like a song, I'll listen to it. If I don't like it, I won't. I don't listen to Garth's music because it is Garth singing, I listen because his music speaks to me in a way that very few other artists can achieve.

I TRULY don't believe he is interested in money, According to this website, the guy is worth $310 million. Making $90 million a year! https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ri...oks-net-worth/

However, I do believe that Garth has a big ego, and when put into a competitive position (like record sales/ charting position/ ticket sales), anything less than #1 is a failure. However, his own personal beliefs (ie: not working with itunes) often times hinder his ability to satisfy his own ego.

I listen to his music frequently, and still love it. If I am the only guy in the world who still likes his music, then that is fine as well. I don't care that that the younger generations prefer to listen to Florida-Georgia Line, Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan. I am not likely going to connect with those artists' music, so I do not expect younger peeps to connect to GB.

I think Garth is at a level most entertainers wish to attain. I really don't think he is out of touch at all. Garth is at the level of Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennent etc. He doesn't need to have radio or #1 records/airplay. He can sell out a concert without those. Yet he is still getting radio airplay and a top ten hit. I think 20 years from you will find people playing Garth music and him selling out concerts. Sure he won't be selling 10 million copies of each album but he will still be selling them. How many of these popular bro country acts will be doing the same? I admit I am old and am reminded of a bartender we had at one of our restaurants when I was younger. Ned constantly played Frank Sinatra music. I at the time was not into Frank except for New York, New York. Today I have many Sinatra albums and appreciate his music as I got older. I see myself like Ned and actually close to it. I have over 1000 cds that aren't Garth but when I reach to play music, I reach for Garth. i love his music, especially his live stuff. I have so many different albums to choose from. As long as he keeps releasing music (no matter how many copies I have of the music) I will buy. Garth has moved on to another level. He has gone 17 years without much radio support yet has continued to sell albums, sellout concerts and even have a couple hits. So no I don't think Garth is out of touch I think he has trancended to another level.

I guarantee if Ask Me How I Know had been on iTunes at $69 cents for the last few weeks there's a damn good chance it'd hit Number One on the Country charts.

It's done well on airplay alone but for God sakes create a lyric video, bombard it with ads so a little bit more money goes to the writers, plug Gunslinger at the beginning and end, and finally ad a link at the end to Amazon Music or his site.

Actually, based on the trend I am seeing with the high school students I teach, Itunes is going out of style. At least with them. It's more of the streaming apps. Which, ironically, would make Garth relevant with Amazon Music.

What is cool about the bro country artists is that they all give credit to Garth for influencing them growing up. I went to a FGL concert once and they played FILP during their Encore.

It is interesting that Garth doesn't seem to care as much about having #1 hit songs. He mentioned that just a few weeks ago on Studio G. I wonder how much of that is true.

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    It is interesting that Garth doesn't seem to care as much about having #1 hit songs. He mentioned that just a few weeks ago on Studio G. I wonder how much of that is true.
    Well, with as hard as he has pushed AMHIK at radio, I don't know if that is 100% true. Also, that Dallas stadium kickoff for BLLDAD was NOT cheap, and you just don't do that type of stuff if you don't care about having hits on the radio. But I don't fault him for caring. In his eyes, radio is where he first heard George Strait, it was the main medium for him when he as growing up, so I think he actually cares deeply about having radio hits. But I also think he realizes that as old as he is, radio may not care that much about him anymore, so he says he doesn't care so that it's not perceived that he's failing (so to speak) if his current singles aren't running up the charts. But now that AMHIK is a top 10 hit in 2017, it's obvious he doesn't have to worry about that.

As others have said, Garth is SUPER competitive, so of course he cares.

+ Reply to Thread