+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Garth on CMAs

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    It's sad no one understands what exactly the voice goes thru with 12 shows in what, 10 days, then press before and after the CMAs.
    True- Whose decision was it ultimately to have the 12 shows in 10 days right before the CMA's? He had to have known he was performing for a while before.. Garth can pretty much write his own ticket as to how he does things... concert timing too.. Honestly? Not trying to sound offensive but your reasoning there is more 'excuse' then reason, bitter..

It was recorded at an arena. Played while he entertained us the best he could under the circumstances. I wasn't home but heard the CMAs live on the radio, there was nothing studio polished lip syncing crap like people are making it out to be.
    Well, as one who was at home and was watching the awards show/performance(s)... (and trying not to fall asleep w/ some of them) .. There was def. 'studio polished lip syncing crap' as you're saying people made it out to be... Garth pulling away from the mike when he was still 'singing' .. a 'live' track that wasn't live.. it was plainly evident (though fair enough- it may have not been as evident on radio)

Like he's trying to fool people about his live performances. We all know he's the best concert act out there today!:-)
    He is the best concert act out there today IMO.. absolutely. the best act I've ever seen (yes I'm biased).. However, garth wasn't trying to 'fool' people I don't think- he admitted to it (the lip syncing) after the show.. It's just a shame he didn't perform like he should have....
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    With all due respect I have to disagree. First, it may have sounded like it wasn't polished on the radio but he was clearly lip syncing. Not only was it easy to see, but he admitted it after the show. So, clearly it was polished lip syncing crap. He said so.

The 12 shows in 10 days is just poor planning on his part. The CMAs are always the first or second Wednesday in November so it's been known for a solid year, if not longer, when the show was. He could've easily planned around this and saved a little of his voice for a 3 minute performance. Every other artist has to do this so I don't think there is any excuse.

The sad part is this isn't the first time. It happened a couple of years ago at the ACMs. I love Garth and am a huge supporter/defender, but I just don't think there is an excuse for this. This is a pattern to over polish everything and its been going on since the 90s. I've said this many times, but Double Live is basically a studio recording with some crowd noise thrown in. This is Garth. He is a control freak to the point that it is a detriment at times.
    Ryan........... nope- Iv'e got nothing. WELL SAID!!!!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Sorry, I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of it and honestly I really wasn't focusing on what you said. I think I was more bothered by the comment about him eating everything on Trisha's show (or something to that effect). At the end of the day, it isn't a huge deal. Just struck me wrong. No biggie.

no prob man

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

The reaction I hear from people who aren't hardcore Garth fans is, "Wow! He wasn't afraid to own up to it fast". And they are pretty impressed with his honesty.
    He's older. His voice probably doesn't recover as fast as it did 20 years ago. And wanted to sound good for country music and its fans.
    How much control would he have had on when he could have played Tacoma this past weekend with sport teams schedules and the like??

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    The reaction I hear from people who aren't hardcore Garth fans is, "Wow! He wasn't afraid to own up to it fast". And they are pretty impressed with his honesty.
    He's older. His voice probably doesn't recover as fast as it did 20 years ago. And wanted to sound good for country music and its fans.
    How much control would he have had on when he could have played Tacoma this past weekend with sport teams schedules and the like??
    I get being a fan it is easy to want to defend the decision. In fairness, his voice may very well be shot after 12 shows in 10 days. However, I go back to the point I made earlier. Every artist has to make a decision on how to handle themselves and take care of their voice. Playing that many shows prior to the CMAs to me is just not smart no matter what the scenario. The CMAs is country's biggest stage. Not sure what the ratings were, but I think it pulls in around 10 million people. He's played to just over 6 million on a 3 year world tour. He can reach more people in one 3 minute performance than he has reached on his entire tour. You take care of yourself for a performance like that and you should maximize it as an artist. To me lip syncing, and doing so poorly, is not maximizing that moment. If that means you don't play 12 shows in 10 days right before that then so be it.

The cynical part of me wonders if playing that many shows, and having a shot voice, was a really convenient excuse to be able to lip sync and control the sound of the whole thing. I bet no artist in history has played that many shows in the 2 weeks prior to a CMA performance. It was his decision and it was a bad one. Plain and simple.

14.3 million viewers on the CMAs last night. Granted, not all of them saw the whole thing, but about twice as many people saw Garth lip sync poorly last night than have seen him on his entire world tour. Not the Garth I wish everyone would have seen. Wish everyone could have seen the killer live performance of "Ask Me How I Know" that I saw a couple of months ago.

The cynical part of me wonders if playing that many shows, and having a shot voice, was a really convenient excuse to be able to lip sync and control the sound of the whole thing.
    Now THAT's an angle that would be interesting.. a Garth Brooks conspiracy theory!

Still? I don't know if it would surprise me either...

I bet no artist in history has played that many shows in the 2 weeks prior to a CMA performance. It was his decision and it was a bad one. Plain and simple.
    I agree!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

14.3 million viewers on the CMAs last night. Granted, not all of them saw the whole thing, but about twice as many people saw Garth lip sync poorly last night than have seen him on his entire world tour. Not the Garth I wish everyone would have seen. Wish everyone could have seen the killer live performance of "Ask Me How I Know" that I saw a couple of months ago.
    They may not have seen it- but they may have heard it (or at least a part of it)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Now THAT's an angle that would be interesting.. a Garth Brooks conspiracy theory!

Still? I don't know if it would surprise me either...
    I was being sarcastic HA! However, I don't know if it would surprise me either. The lengths it appears he goes to to control image is sometimes amazing to me. Funny, my other favorite artist, Eric Church, is the total opposite and that is one of the things that is most appealing about him. I love the fact that he is so "raw". Listen to 61 Days in Church sometimes. Refreshing to hear flubbed lyrics, laughing, etc. Because of that you can also feel the energy of the performances. Nice to see/hear that "realness" sometimes.

I don't have cable so I missed it, anyone have the perfroamce they can upload to Vimeo or Daily Motion?

Having worked in public relations in the past, there is a saying that I can't remember exactly about bad publicity is better than no publicity or something like that. After last nights show, a lot of people are talking about Garth. In a few days most people aren't going to remember that Garth lip synched. A lot of people will remember seeing or hearing something about Garth and that is it.I think more people are going to remember Charlie Sheen and his accusation and forget the CMA's. Garth fans are disappointed but the public is use to people lip synching on tv shows.

I personally have always hated when artists lip sync or a band "plays" to a track on an awards show. I get it, it is a safety net for a live broadcast, but I come from the mindset that if you can't do it live why are you there. Look, we all know Garth and his band can play and sing live, but this feeds into the one problem I have as a Garth fan. Garth wants everything to be polished and perfect when it is for mass consumption. I come from the total other viewpoint. I believe it is the rawness of a live performance that makes it special. I just think it is kind of disingenuous to "fake" a performance at that level. This isn't a high school competition in the gym. This is the CMAs!!! He is a 6 time Entertainer of the Year who is known for his live performances yet he wouldn't even perform live on country music's biggest stage. (Please, spare me the "his voice was raw" talk. Eric Church's sounded sick but sang live.) I think Garth deserves criticism for this move. I will say that the whole comments about his weight are totally unfair though. This isn't junior high school.
    THIS!!! He ended up having to give the rough voice explanation anyways. If he had sang, and his voice was less than perfect, there is nothing that could be criticized with any legitimacy. Obviously performing so many shows in a short period, looks honorable, and people would completely understand.

And it also makes you question what he would do if it were his own concert. Does he choose to lip sync on some songs, to save his voice during the show?

Instead, everyone could tell it was a lip sync. And at times it was far too obvious, meaning that it was not even a good lip sync, so he would have been better doing it live, since at least he could justify any shortcomings with the legitimate vocal strain excuse. There's not much excuse for a bad lip sync performance.

And I could hear Mitch coming through on the mic, so it was obviously on, meaning Garth had to fake sing without actually making a sound. Many times if there's a lip sync, they just turn off the main mic, as it's not easy to sing without actually singing.

We know he has performed that many shows recently and is why he has no voice. Not everyone else would. Especially the younger audience. They would just wonder why the man has a crappy live voice.

I guess we can agree to disagree, but I don't think people always forget. Most still remember Alan Jackson's drummer not having drumsticks and pretending to play in 1994 out of protest. I'm pretty sure people remember Milli Vanilli lip syncing at the Grammys in '89 or '90 which eventually outed them as not even singing on their records (at least we know this isn't the case with Garth).

I do get what you are saying. The average person will forget and move on. In the scope of things it clearly isn't an international tragedy and doesn't impact anyone's life. As a big fan I just think it is disappointing and one more example of how he is a control freak and wants everything to be perfect and polished. Point being, there are many who really do care and keep up with his career that are disappointed. The reason I'm disappointed is because I believe he is better than that.

I guess we can agree to disagree, but I don't think people always forget. Most still remember Alan Jackson's drummer not having drumsticks and pretending to play in 1994 out of protest. I'm pretty sure people remember Milli Vanilli lip syncing at the Grammys in '89 or '90 which eventually outed them as not even singing on their records (at least we know this isn't the case with Garth).
    Or Ashlee Simpson on SNL, when her first songs' prerecorded track was played twice instead of the second one being played... All good examples, and people will not forget... (not totally).. especially in the internet age where recordings get uploaded and are there 'forever'

As a big fan I just think it is disappointing and one more example of how he is a control freak and wants everything to be perfect and polished. Point being, there are many who really do care and keep up with his career that are disappointed. The reason I'm disappointed is because I believe he is better than that.
    Another great statement!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I agree. I would have liked it better if it was not pre-recorded. I am just surprised at the backlash here about it. Even on Good Morning America this morning they acted like it was not a big deal since he owned up to it quick and gave an explanation and they know the kind of guy he is.

Also video of him talking about it on the red carpet beforehand...saying it was a possibility. I hate lip sync, but it is a little easier to accept knowing he talked about it beforehand.

hehe no spoilers- only through episode 6 here..
    Great program, takes me back to my youth, I was those kids ages in the same time period 1983!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    Great program, takes me back to my youth, I was those kids ages in the same time period 1983!
    hehe I was 'their age' about 1985-1986... Loved, Loved, LOVED the series!! would be interested ot see if Garth's seen it but ehh- that's for another time I think ...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

hehe I was 'their age' about 1985-1986... Loved, Loved, LOVED the series!! would be interested ot see if Garth's seen it but ehh- that's for another time I think ...
    80's great decade to be a young teen, just riding your bike, going to arcades, the cool movies, fun fun fun!

80's great decade to be a young teen, just riding your bike, going to arcades, the cool movies, fun fun fun!
    Right there with ya! I LOVED Asteroids at the arcade

Amen to that!!! Read READY PLAYER ONE by Ernest Cline (soon to be a movie either brilliantly done or horrifically slaughtered by Steven Spielberg) .. another great 80's trip.. (at least through the realms of music games, and movies...)

I loved going to arcades.... I'm with ya G'Medic on asteroids (though I was a year/two behind that. .. I loved donkey kong, and q Bert.. and the star wars arcade game.. TRON,, you name it

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I am a member/follower of some songwriting organizations and publications and such, and there is a lot of talk about how songs, to get cut, have to be for young artists and everything about them (including the demo singer) has to sound young. So I was / am excited just by the idea that an artist in his 50s can still be the CMA Entertainer of the Year (and, I have been to a Garth concert since his comeback, and it did not have the pyrotechnics, etc, from the old days, so it's not even like he's winning because of that stuff making his show more fun to watch.)

I like to see an older artist win these big awards even if it isn't Garth. Even Miranda's probably not that young by industry standards now. I wish Reba was still having the same success, but at least she was nominated in the Female Vocalist category.

About the lip-syncing - I admit the question popped into my head, "So, have he lip-synced at any other 'live' performances recently?" I know that's probably not the case, but you couldn't blame fans for wondering. I guess other cases I know about where artists have lip-synced have seemed more...shady. They've deceived people.

It does seem like Garth is trying to be honest about it, and that he didn't want to disappoint fans by not singing at all. But his admitting that the reason was his voice wasn't up to it, (which ties in with him "wearing out" faster now), will make people in the industry who want to only market young artists feel that they're right ("See, the older ones don't have the stamina.")

And, other posters have a point - he has control over the number of shows he does.

Here's the clip of AMHIK, I just uploaded it!
    https://vimeo.com/242792494

+ Reply to Thread