+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garth on CMAs

Garth on CMAs

Any thoughts on CMAs so far?

Was cool to see Garth in the opening. He's just the man!

No matter how hard I try, I just can't listen/watch Luke Bryan.

Lip sync again. Ugh.

I hate it too but I don't think he had a choice. I heard him in several radio interviews yesterday and he had no voice.

Why is he doing 4-5 shows the weekend before the CMA’s? Horrific management decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by CBooUF View Post
    Why is he doing 4-5 shows the weekend before the CMA’s? Horrific management decisions.
    Completely agree. National TV....chance for 'non fans' to see what they're missing...and they see lip sync.

My humble opinion, they need to think about moving the entire ceremony to the summertime, it's been suffering in the ratings for the past few years.

There is a small clip of Garth singing at CMA's at end of article.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...know-2017-cmas

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Ok, so I wasn't imagining things.. really great to see Garth on the awards show.. However, with it being a Lip synced performance.. really an Ugh.. If I wanted to hear a recorded performance I'd have listened to the CD...

He def looks tired, and honestly -the beard isn't working IMO...

Will have to watch it again (and download it etc) but Garth looks heavier..... chunkier ...

(cue the flames in ....

start)
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by jturtels View Post
    Completely agree. National TV....chance for 'non fans' to see what they're missing...and they see lip sync.

Great point..... GREAT point...... Garth is the one in charge of making that decision... and he blew it... IMO

best part of his performance was the commercial that came directly after it (I think ) for the anthology- very much like the tone of all the commercials he's done recently (he's not greatest in range acting wise) but still nice to see... Looking forward to next week and the anthology because his performance tonight sure sucked

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Ok, so I wasn't imagining things.. really great to see Garth on the awards show.. However, with it being a Lip synced performance.. really an Ugh.. If I wanted to hear a recorded performance I'd have listened to the CD...

He def looks tired, and honestly -the beard isn't working IMO...

Will have to watch it again (and download it etc) but Garth looks heavier..... chunkier ...

(cue the flames in ....

start)
    Well I ain't gonna flame you, but after tonight, I've come to the realization that these award shows aren't for me anymore which is why I think this year will be the last CMA thing that I'm ever going to watch. And Garth ain't to blame for that, I'm placing the blame more on Music Row and how screwed up they've been since 1999.

I was really excited to see him perform Ask me how I know tonight and instead I got to watch him lip syncing his performance. For a guy who will not release live albums only tracks because he wants them to be perfect why would you do this? I have always wondered why he does so 5 shows in 3 days? Is it for the money or for the fans because it is not worth it if you have to destroy your voice. I agree with Skywise he looks horrible, his weight is starting to get out of control and it seems like he is eating everything off the set of his wife's show. I look at Alan Jackson tonight and he looks older but still fit. I am not trying to bag on Garth I love the guy but get some control before you stroke out on the stage. I like the beard btw

I'll chime in as well and say that the lip sync sucked.

Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    ... I have always wondered why he does so 5 shows in 3 days? Is it for the money or for the fans because it is not worth it if you have to destroy your voice.
    If you ask Garth, he'll say it's for the fans, and for those who waited, and the demand, and making sure everyone can get a ticket, etc.. I'm sure that (though he won't admit it) the money cannot be a small or non existent factor in the decision

I agree with Skywise he looks horrible, his weight is starting to get out of control and it seems like he is eating everything off the set of his wife's show. I look at Alan Jackson tonight and he looks older but still fit. I am not trying to bag on Garth I love the guy but get some control before you stroke out on the stage. I like the beard btw
    LOL Randa16- to me the beard looked really kinda almost painted on to me.. could have been my TV but still... didnt' look good imo

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I'll give him credit for admitting it up front.. . However.. . this quote from the article

The track, even if we're lip-syncing, is as live as it gets."
    BS.. As live as it gets.. THAT's the little idiosyncrasies that your voice being off would have caused.. That's the humanity that people want to hear. this polished "as live as it gets" crap... no..

to borrow a quote from 11 in Stranger things.. (well to paraphrase it).. "Friends (or in this case LEGENDS and/or all time great artists) DON'T LIE... ". . Garth lied to us tonight... The apologists will explain it away.. the lost in the physical will talk about his health, his body, you name it.. The realists and objectives ? we see this "performance" for what it was.. a sham

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Holy hell this escalated quickly.

I get the lip syncing complaints. That always sucks. But his weight? Damn, tough crowd. He hardly looks his worst. He doesn’t look big at all in the red carpet pics.

I Hate lip syncing. Always have.

Im just happy that Garth won, and to see garth trending on Twitter, something that doesnt happen often is also brilliant.

I'll give him credit for admitting it up front.. . However.. . this quote from the article

BS.. As live as it gets.. THAT's the little idiosyncrasies that your voice being off would have caused.. That's the humanity that people want to hear. this polished "as live as it gets" crap... no..

to borrow a quote from 11 in Stranger things.. (well to paraphrase it).. "Friends (or in this case LEGENDS and/or all time great artists) DON'T LIE... ". . Garth lied to us tonight... The apologists will explain it away.. the lost in the physical will talk about his health, his body, you name it.. The realists and objectives ? we see this "performance" for what it was.. a sham
    Man loving Planet Garth tonight, not only does Garth win entertainer of the year, but one of my all time favourite shows gets a mention, Stranger things!!! Ive seen up to episode three of season
    two, hope nothing bad happens to Dustin!!! That kid is freakin funny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGarthFan View Post
    I Hate lip syncing. Always have.
    Have you seen the Alan Jackson performance where he let his drummer play without drumsticks because he had to lipsync as well?

Wow! I am surprised at the negativity. We knew he would probably be lip syncing. Saying that, he still did a good job even on doing that. I only saw one moment where you could tell he was going. Yeah, us fans may want his raw voice. But he would have been roasted even more by those who aren't as hardcore as we are if he had done that.
    And how about having Mitch up there with him to give the kid some national exposure? Class act.

I think this was an awesome CMA. The were very tasteful in how they honored the victims and those who've others who have passed away this year.

Quote Originally Posted by mvhuenen View Post
    Have you seen the Alan Jackson performance where he let his drummer play without drumsticks because he had to lipsync as well?
    Actually, Alan Jackson did not lip sync that performance. That was in protest to the fact that the ACMs basically made his band play to a backing track. He felt that was a dishonest move to be playing "live" and yet have his entire band pretending to play. They silently protested by having the drummer "play along" with no sticks. Jackson, himself, was singing live. Go check it out on YouTube and see for yourself.

I personally have always hated when artists lip sync or a band "plays" to a track on an awards show. I get it, it is a safety net for a live broadcast, but I come from the mindset that if you can't do it live why are you there. Look, we all know Garth and his band can play and sing live, but this feeds into the one problem I have as a Garth fan. Garth wants everything to be polished and perfect when it is for mass consumption. I come from the total other viewpoint. I believe it is the rawness of a live performance that makes it special. I just think it is kind of disingenuous to "fake" a performance at that level. This isn't a high school competition in the gym. This is the CMAs!!! He is a 6 time Entertainer of the Year who is known for his live performances yet he wouldn't even perform live on country music's biggest stage. (Please, spare me the "his voice was raw" talk. Eric Church's sounded sick but sang live.) I think Garth deserves criticism for this move. I will say that the whole comments about his weight are totally unfair though. This isn't junior high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    Man loving Planet Garth tonight, not only does Garth win entertainer of the year, but one of my all time favourite shows gets a mention, Stranger things!!! Ive seen up to episode three of season
    two, hope nothing bad happens to Dustin!!! That kid is freakin funny!!!

hehe no spoilers- only through episode 6 here..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Wow! I am surprised at the negativity. We knew he would probably be lip syncing. Saying that, he still did a good job even on doing that. I only saw one moment where you could tell he was going. Yeah, us fans may want his raw voice. But he would have been roasted even more by those who aren't as hardcore as we are if he had done that.
    And how about having Mitch up there with him to give the kid some national exposure? Class act.
    Having Mitch up there was nice for certain- but it still came off to me as 'trying to cover my non singing'...

I think this was an awesome CMA. The were very tasteful in how they honored the victims and those who've others who have passed away this year.
    two parts/ 3 parts doesn't make for a great CMA show.. I did like the tribute section.. Carrie underwood sang great, the tributes were good, and it was nice to see them not be PC and take away the singing of a hymn

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    ....I come from the mindset that if you can't do it live why are you there.
    amen!

Look, we all know Garth and his band can play and sing live, but this feeds into the one problem I have as a Garth fan. Garth wants everything to be polished and perfect when it is for mass consumption. I come from the total other viewpoint. I believe it is the rawness of a live performance that makes it special. I just think it is kind of disingenuous to "fake" a performance at that level.
    it's a sham honestly.. explanations and reasonings aside, its' a sham performance

This isn't a high school competition in the gym. This is the CMAs!!! He is a 6 time Entertainer of the Year who is known for his live performances yet he wouldn't even perform live on country music's biggest stage. (Please, spare me the "his voice was raw" talk. Eric Church's sounded sick but sang live.) I think Garth deserves criticism for this move. I will say that the whole comments about his weight are totally unfair though. This isn't junior high school.
    it's not Jr high, it's reality... he didn't look good last night- not at all.. IMO.. a comment or so is fine.. admittedly I do need to re watch the show again

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Everyone has their opinions and that is fine. I've just always kind of cringed when the focus is on how someone looks or their weight. I work in the psych field and I've just seen people go through a lot of psychological turmoil, including eating disorders, because people make fun of their weight or how they look. Kind of a pet peeve with me because of that. I don't care how he looks. What I care about is he chose to lip sync a performance.

It's sad no one understands what exactly the voice goes thru with 12 shows in what, 10 days, then press before and after the CMAs. It was recorded at an arena. Played while he entertained us the best he could under the circumstances. I wasn't home but heard the CMAs live on the radio, there was nothing studio polished lip syncing crap like people are making it out to be. Like he's trying to fool people about his live performances. We all know he's the best concert act out there today!:-)

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    Everyone has their opinions and that is fine. I've just always kind of cringed when the focus is on how someone looks or their weight. I work in the psych field and I've just seen people go through a lot of psychological turmoil, including eating disorders, because people make fun of their weight or how they look. Kind of a pet peeve with me because of that. I don't care how he looks. What I care about is he chose to lip sync a performance.
    in all fairness Ryan-.. it wasn't mentioned as a main point (since I'm the one who 'brought it up' as it were originally I'm answering), more of a passing point and no one's truly I see making fun of him as it were..

I work in the education field, so I understand what you are saying (I work with young people- crucial years of 'teenager-hood' (I teach MS and HS students).. about the turmoil people go through- I have two teen daughters myself I see it first hand

I do agree though- the main issue is the performance (or lack thereof with his lip syncing)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    It's sad no one understands what exactly the voice goes thru with 12 shows in what, 10 days, then press before and after the CMAs. It was recorded at an arena. Played while he entertained us the best he could under the circumstances. I wasn't home but heard the CMAs live on the radio, there was nothing studio polished lip syncing crap like people are making it out to be. Like he's trying to fool people about his live performances. We all know he's the best concert act out there today!:-)
    With all due respect I have to disagree. First, it may have sounded like it wasn't polished on the radio but he was clearly lip syncing. Not only was it easy to see, but he admitted it after the show. So, clearly it was polished lip syncing crap. He said so.

The 12 shows in 10 days is just poor planning on his part. The CMAs are always the first or second Wednesday in November so it's been known for a solid year, if not longer, when the show was. He could've easily planned around this and saved a little of his voice for a 3 minute performance. Every other artist has to do this so I don't think there is any excuse.

The sad part is this isn't the first time. It happened a couple of years ago at the ACMs. I love Garth and am a huge supporter/defender, but I just don't think there is an excuse for this. This is a pattern to over polish everything and its been going on since the 90s. I've said this many times, but Double Live is basically a studio recording with some crowd noise thrown in. This is Garth. He is a control freak to the point that it is a detriment at times.

in all fairness Ryan-.. it wasn't mentioned as a main point (since I'm the one who 'brought it up' as it were originally I'm answering), more of a passing point and no one's truly I see making fun of him as it were..

I work in the education field, so I understand what you are saying (I work with young people- crucial years of 'teenager-hood' (I teach MS and HS students).. about the turmoil people go through- I have two teen daughters myself I see it first hand

I do agree though- the main issue is the performance (or lack thereof with his lip syncing)
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of it and honestly I really wasn't focusing on what you said. I think I was more bothered by the comment about him eating everything on Trisha's show (or something to that effect). At the end of the day, it isn't a huge deal. Just struck me wrong. No biggie.

+ Reply to Thread