+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Atlanta Stadium fiasco

Atlanta Stadium fiasco

How should Garth handle it in the media?

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/gr...dium/482965072
    Last edited by Brett Dale; 10-12-2017 at 11:30 PM.

Bullsh*t. I expect nothing less from an NBC affiliate, but it was a blast. Debrief more tomorrow. Yes there were some audio glitches, the main one being the echo that comes with an EIGHTY THOUSAND people arena, but this is trash. It was wonderful.

Edit: I should add I was 2nd row dead center so it isn't fair to judge the upper levels.

Also... beer. Goodnight
    Last edited by AronP24; 10-13-2017 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AronP24 View Post
    Bullsh*t. I expect nothing less from an NBC affiliate, but it was a blast. Debrief more tomorrow. Yes there were some audio glitches, the main one being the echo that comes with an EIGHTY THOUSAND people arena, but this is trash. It was wonderful.

Edit: I should add I was 2nd row dead center so it isn't fair to judge the upper levels.

Also... beer. Goodnight
    AWESOME!!!! Glad you like it!!! Seems it was twitter people getting carried away!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    How should Garth handle it in the media?

http://www.11alive.com/news/local/gr...dium/482965072
    it doesn't need to be handled in the media by Garth. It's not his problem, it was the fault of the venue.

Lol total trash article. So they found a few tweets and suddenly the show was a “fiasco”? Sounds like the venue was well aware of the issue and took care of it before Garth took the stage. Not much for him or anyone else to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sevens View Post
    Lol total trash article. So they found a few tweets and suddenly the show was a “fiasco”? Sounds like the venue was well aware of the issue and took care of it before Garth took the stage. Not much for him or anyone else to say about it.
    Uhm I wasnt there, and everything I have read said "Garth was amazing and people loved it"

But it wasnt just a handful of people on twitter, and it seem to continue thruout the show, there was like hundreds of tweets (Mostely from people in the upper deck) saying the sound was horrible.

Still I guess some people like to nit pick, it looks like Garth knocked it out of the park.

Great choice of opening song!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni1qSBjPiJ0

I was there, on the floor. Yes the sound was off with an echo.You have to expect SOME in a inclosed large building like a stadium though. So many speakers pumping out that much sound has to bounce off the walls and roof. However, I couldn't tell you what the two opening acts said while performing, Mitch and Karen. About the only song I understood the words to completely, only becuase I know and heard it before from Kellie Pickler was Red High Heels. It was a little better when Garth took the stage. From my seat, it was still kinda hard to understand the talking between songs, but other shows its also kinda hard to understand in general unless you have an awesome sound guy. I think it actually worked good for a few songs! LOL Highlight song was Thunder Rolls with the echo and just feeling the rumble in such a huge building was awesome!!!! Other than that, setlist and even housecleaning was much the same as a regular tour stop. She's Every Woman, The Change, The Red Strokes (I has happy to hear that!) Standing Outside the Fire, also did Piano Man. And yes, he opened with Devil Went Down to Georgia, that was a cool opener for Atlanta:-)

Trisha got some plaque/award from Jimmy Carter, for being from Georgia, very cool moment! She also sang Georgia!
    Last edited by YouSoundBitter; 10-13-2017 at 09:32 AM.

Watching the video of the opener it looks like the intro video messed up and lost sound? Garth appearing from under the stage was way less climactic than usual.

Nonetheless, a perfect opening song for that show. Wish the facility had their sound issues together. I hear there has been a lot of problems with that building.

Still I guess some people like to nit pick, it looks like Garth knocked it out of the park.

Great choice of opening song!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni1qSBjPiJ0
    Any other videos of the opener? Garth's lawyers were quick on that one.

I have the opening up to the first few seconds of Devil Went Down To Georgia. I don't remember the sound going out then. They usually play it up to technical difficulties in their opening anyhow.

As for the stage. They were limited to how it was set up. Matter a fact, the guy working with GB told me before the show that GB was doing rehearsal wednesday night and felt the two round ends of the set up were too high and the crew spent all night to lower them down.

Karen and Mitch (with band) took the stage from stairs off to the side while Garth was underneath during the time doors opened to the opener.

What a great opening.

Sound sounds #OnPoint to me in that clip.

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    Sound sounds #OnPoint to me in that clip.
    Sound problems were in the upper levels.

Heres a link to the opening song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y69w9sZVv_A
    Awesome opening, even though Garth clearly didn’t know the song very well. Missed a few cues and sang a couple wrong parts here and there, but the energy was awesome.

I’ve been a huge CDB fan for even longer then I’ve been into Garth, so this was super fun to see. Thanks for finding such a great vid.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    Sound problems were in the upper levels.
    Which is where the video was shot!
    https://youtu.be/XXO7_VoyaNs

Maybe it's because I've been to multiple shows where he started with Man Against Machine and BLLDAD, but I just didn't see the energy with his version of the Devil Went Down To Georgia like with those other two though I understand why he picked it. But, if the Atlanta crowd liked it, then that's all that matters.

When the George Strait did the first ever concert at the new Cowboys Stadium when it opened, there were similar sound problems. But when I we to the stadium when the 50th Annual ACMs were there, it had been worked out. That's just how it works with new stadiums.

You would think, with sound checks, and everything else, it would still work well. I think tomorrow's studio G will be just about the anthology, I doubt Garth will address the sound issue,
    he might mention the concert, but wont go into it deeply. The fact that Garth hasnt tweeted out or gone on facebook and said something along the lines of "Had a Blast at Atlanta" shows
    me that the issue is big. Hes just gone silent. no tweets, no facebook posts, no comments, normally after every event he does thank people the following day.

It appears Garth does have a bad history with stadium shows, Croke Park, Second show of Yankee stadium (with rain delay and people on upper level told to leave because the shows been canceled) and now Atlanta.

Maybe he should stick to Arenas, and I et he wont be calling it, the eighth wonder of the world anymore.

I went to the show on Thursday night and I have to say that I think the sound issues were overblown. I heard that some people couldn't even identify what song he was singing and that is just nonsense and not true. Granted, I was not in the upper levels (so it is possible that experience was different). I was in the 100 club level which gave you access to the club on the floor. I spent about half the time on the floor and about half the time in my seat in the 100 level. There was never any doubt about what song he was playing.

The sound was not perfect. There was a pretty rough echo at times, but I've never been to an enclosed stadium show where this is not the case. That was an issue at times. To me the bigger issue was the fact that it was hard to hear Garth speak in between songs. I'm not sure why you could hear him sing just fine, but could not hear him well while speaking.

My point is this, the sound was definitely not perfect, but I also don't think it was as terrible as some people were making it out to be. It was a cavernous, indoor stadium. Not sure how anyone thought there would be pristine sound including Garth.

The set was pretty much like I figured. I told a friend earlier in the day that my guess would be he would open with something different and that the encore would be shorter with few acoustic numbers since it was a stadium show. This is exactly what happened. It was nice seeing The Change and The Red Strokes make the encore. You don't see those every day, but I'm not surprised that portion of the show was shorter. As disappointing as that may be to hardcore fans, including myself, I think realistically that is the right call. Not sure a bunch of acoustic snippets is going to hold the attention of a stadium, especially since there were some sound issues. Obviously, he could've played more full band encore tunes, but I'm not surprised that didn't happen.

Overall I thought the show was good, but it wasn't as great as some of the other shows I've seen on this tour. It was very neat to see him fully in the round and in a stadium. This was my 27th full show (not counting dozens of other appearances) and this is the first time I've seen him in this kind of setting.

+ Reply to Thread