+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ticket Bundle?

Ticket Bundle?

I have been reading about all these #1 albums on the Billboard chart that are going from #1 in their first week to below the top 20 in their second week. Billboard pointed out that the reason was that these albums (including Shania Twain's this week) dropping are that concert ticket/album bundling. People who bought tickets for the various concert dates also chose to buy a copy of the album. This inflates the sales and then they see a big drop. I was wondering what would happen if Garth had included the choice to buy MAM or GS during the current tour, how his 1st week sales would have been? Do you think it would help or hinder them. I was also thinking wouldn't it have been cool to have a special concert version of his current album as part of ticket bundle. It could have been a third cover of MAM or GS. Maybe on his next tour he can try something like this.

That's a really great point. It's a wonder that Amazon didn't push for a free album download for every ticket sold since they've been on board. It makes sense for Garth's business model if they count towards sales.

When I saw Lady A this summer, I automatically got their new album for free with the tickets. Guess Garth isn't the only good marketer

Prince did this back in 2004 with his Musicology, it's been around for years. Color me surprised as to why GB hasn't done it, if he starts PG should take credit

Paul McCartney's latest tour comes with a download...but get this his album has yet to be released! You can see him on his current tour and are promised a download of his new album sometime next year.

Found this info on ticket bundles concerning Pink's new album. I think it would be cool if Garth did an album release geared to a tour (the next time he tours) and does a ticket bundle. Unlike the artists doing this, Garth does his ticket sales one show at a time. With regular sales and a ticket bundle, Garth's ranking on the chart could dominate for months. Plus who knows how his RIAA and Neilsen numbers would be.
    >>Like so many other albums, Beautiful Trauma's debut frame was boosted by a concert ticket/album sale redemption promotion. The cost of the CD edition of the album was bundled into the purchase price of each ticket sold online to P!nk's upcoming 40-date U.S. and Canada tour. After purchasing a ticket, customers received (via email) a redemption offer for the album, where they could choose to redeem the CD and have it mailed to them. The only sales that count towards the charts are those albums that are redeemed by customers. Many ticket buyers never redeem the offer.

Nielsen Music does not break out specifically how much of any album's sales are generated by concert ticket/album bundle offers. However, CD sales from ticket bundles are categorized as Internet sales by the company, and Beautiful Trauma's Internet sales figure was 249,000. So, one can assume most of that number is from the ticket bundle -- minus a smallish amount (perhaps in the low five-figures) for traditional sales from Amazon and other web-based retailers.

Artists and record labels have increasingly turned to offering ticket/album bundles as a way to sell music, as the traditional retail landscape has changed dramatically in recent years, and as album sales continue to shrink. Not only are a growing number of fans turning to streaming in order to consume albums (instead of buying them), but the brick-and-mortar retailers that remain in business have dramatically reduced the number of titles they sell in stores (as well as the physical floor space for those albums). In turn, artists have found new ways to sell their music -- from selling them bundled with merchandise, to offering them with concert tickets.

Tickets for P!nk's tour went on sale Oct. 10 for American Express card members, and then to the general public on Oct. 13 (the same day as the album's release).

Because most ticket buyers usually take advantage of these ticket/album sale redemption offers in an album's first week of release, albums offered with a bundle tend to have a large debut frame -- but then fall hard in their second week when there are far fewer sales generated by the bundle. So far in 2017, the chart has seen a variety of No. 1-debuting albums enhanced by ticket bundle offers implode in their second frames. Shania Twain's Now tumbled from No. 1 to No. 29 in its second week, The Killers' Wonderful Wonderful fell 1-59, LCD Soundsystem's American Dream dropped 1-56, Arcade Fire's Everything Now collapsed 1-38, and so on.<<

This was an interesting paragraph on Kenny Chesney's new live album.

Remember that part in the preceding paragraph about how Kenny rocks stadiums across the land? Well, the country superstar recently put 18 Trip Around the Sun 2018 stadium shows on sale, and with every seat (provided the buyer redeems) comes a physical copy of the album. With that many tickets in the marketplace, you’re potentially looking at what statisticians call “more records than you can shake a stick at.”

Man, can you imagine Garth's number if he did a bundle with his next tour?

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=309107

Another interesting article on how ticket bundles will effect record sales and artists. Kenny Chesney is expected to hit #1 this week due to ticket bundle. The downside is albums take a steep drop the next week when they rely on regular sales. Shania went from #1 to #29 and so have other acts. I think the way Garth does his tickets, he could actually do well on the charts. What would be cool would be Tour Edition albums with a few added songs so he can have a regular edition at stores and a tour edition for the bundle. I know this is just wishful thinking since Garth is ending his tour but maybe in the future. :-)
    Last edited by gbkubfan; 10-31-2017 at 12:15 PM. Reason: add

Taylor Swift article on product bundling to boost album sales. Interesting stuff.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/bu...es-big-machine

Here's another example of ticket bundling. Tim and Faith sold 104,000 copies of their new album which was tied into a ticket bundle for their tour. Can you imagine how many copies of MAM and GS he might have sold if he had did a ticket bundle for his tour.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...y-albums-chart

U2 are giving away a free copy of new album with every ticket purchase.

Not sure how that is going to work out for them, since tickets for their upcoming tour are not selling due to fact they overpriced them across the board. Well over a 1/3rd of seats have a face value after fees of almost $400/ticket with another 1/3rd around $200.

They were even so cocky that they decided to do the Verified Fan BS, but later dropped it completely for most dates after the initial onsales, because tons of tickets were still available.

Plus they just did Koshua Tree tour. My friends wife travelled to Seattle and several other cities to see the show. I don't know if their fans can afford more shows LOL. Everything I have read is that this is going to be a trend until something new comes around. Taylor Swift just did the point thing. I don't think Garth will do it since he likes to do lots of shows but maybe it will change once this tour is over. Go back to single shows and first come first served. Then he could do a ticket bundle. That would be cool to do a bundle and see if he gets a million seller just based on ticket sales. If anyone could do it, it would be Garth. Personally I like what he did with Double Live. Several different covers. If you just want music, then buy the one copy. If you are a collector like me, then you can buy all the covers. Like I said before, it is fun to search for covers plus gives a collector something to look for.

+ Reply to Thread