+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LIVE Albums

LIVE Albums

I know we have discussed this many times but...I was taking a shower while listening to one of the "LIVE" albums from TUH. I have decided I like any variation of his life albums. I just like to hear the same music in various forms Live. So my point. Why can't Garth release single concerts as albums. No editing, from start to end. I mean Pearl Jam did it. Tori Amos did it. Barenaked Ladies did it. Other artists have done it. If he promoted them right, he could rack up his numbers and please fans. One of my favorite BNL albums is the one from the concert I went to. I got it after the concert on a usb thing. I also got another concert from the web site. I am screaming in the background. I know it is wishful thinking but it would be cool. And people would buy copies of other shows. I didn't go to Pearl Jam in Germany but still got the album.

Because no artist has ever been as protective of their 'finished' product in the history of music as Garth Brooks. No artist has ever been as protective of their 'live' product in the history of music as much as Garth Brooks.

Gotta agree with Aaron. Garth wants to give you music which he is happy with. If he was unhappy with one or two songs during a concert, it most definitely will not be marketed.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    good points, both spud and Aron..

Garth is super protective, and honestly, I think probably a bit insecure about his music.. I think there's a part of him that can't believe that people listen to him or want to.

To that effect, he doesn't want any imperfections, nuances, etc. to get out there- he only wants the finished, polished, product..

What Garth DOESNT realize I think is that those imperfections, the banter between artist and crowd, those nuances of the particular show at the time? THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT SOME FANS WANT.. I know (at least for myself) it's something I'd love to have..

What Garth WONT do I'm certain though, is do something "because another artist did it" .. Garth has never , EVER done things because another band did it and it worked... Garth's never been like that that I know of and I've been following him since 1990.

In a way, it's like the WWF/WWE and Vince McMahon. He wants to put out product and give fans what HE thinks is good/perfect etc.. It's his misguided perception that such is what the fans want, when what they really want is sometimes different (i.e. certain wrestlers being pushed, certain storylines forgotten..)

It would be very cool.. I know I'd get a lot of shows... Garth COULD make a lot of money.. especially if he sold them off his website and not via a major retailer.. but Garth WONT...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I can completely understand why people want live versions of the encores...but who really cares about the "full show" part being presented in full when each one is nearly identical down to the banter?

I don't really care either way on this one. It just doesn't seem like it holds much value when every show (up to the encore) is pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sevens View Post
    ...but who really cares about the "full show" part being presented in full when each one is nearly identical down to the banter?
    Well, I do , for one..

Every one is nearly identical in many ways down to the banter.. Yet, each is still unique as well.. the mentions, the crowd swells on certain parts of certain songs (for example, the crowd during much too young when he sings "I gotta ride in DENVER tomorrow night".. he changes that in diff. cities- yet in Denver, it got a HUGE reaction.. when he's played "what she's doing now " and he sings about "boulder".. same thing.. in the last tour, when he mentioned "The Grizzly Rose" in the old stuff.. SAME type of deal...

Then, you have the crowd interactions.. the BAND banter may be almost identical.. the order of the intros, the "how's every body doing, doing ok?" and "thanks for letting us come back to the (insert term here) to let us play our music for you" .. that type of banter is similar/not unique.. the crowd interactions are different each time- even at the 3 shows I went to in Denver- each was 'different'..

It's that connection that makes the shows worthwhile. Some of the banter is different too, because you never know what will happen w/ the band, etc..

the nuances musically- I remember once in the 1996 show (I believe) garth sang or started to sing the same verse twice.. The musical differences are there.. the crowd interactions are there.. it makes a show unique

I don't really care either way on this one. It just doesn't seem like it holds much value when every show (up to the encore) is pretty much the same.
    And that's just it- there are some who feel like you do, sevens.. There are others who hold the value in the unique aspects of each show, and would like those represented in a live recording

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I agree completely with Skywise. I would want every show I went to just for the nuances of differences. Bulk of the set was the same. Heck, some of the house keeping was the same, it still has a different feel to it.

Case in point for me. I went to 3/4 shows, which was packed into 2 days because of hurricane Matthew. One show had a wife with a seat on the floor, husband was up on the first riser, she was a huge fan and they thought she could get a better seat if purchased separately, it was a funny unique in that show. Another show had a woman throw a bra on stage to Trisha and she laughed and said something like what am I supposed to with that? lol

I get that...I just don’t value those “moments” the same way, I guess. The special one. They just aren’t going to translate to audio because SO many of them are visual. They are often “you had to be there” moments, and I think trying to release audio versions of them would almost cheapen the experience.

These are just my opinions though. I don’t think you can truly capture a Garth show, not matter how hard you try. You have to be there and even then, the recording won’t be the same.

I went to 3 shows this tour...and thinking back on those “unique” moments...proposals, special shout outs, one on one conversations...I prefer having those memories over having only half the experience recorded.

Just me. I get it, but I actually kinda like having a live album be “the best of the best” of a tour.

I get that...I just don’t value those “moments” the same way, I guess. The special one. They just aren’t going to translate to audio because SO many of them are visual. They are often “you had to be there” moments, and I think trying to release audio versions of them would almost cheapen the experience.
    I disagree.. SOME are visual.. but some translate nicely to audio... It makes the show more 'real'.. I know I preach against "what other bands do".. but look at some of the other live albums out there that have been done of full shows.. the interactions, the talking.. Look at even some of the Garth live bootlegs.. (hungry years even w/ the 30yr old quality for example), heck the central park boot, shows from Chicago, etc.. those live CD's are better IMO than Garth's DL in many ways.. a "collection of live songs" isn't a live album.. it's a collection...

These are just my opinions though. I don’t think you can truly capture a Garth show, not matter how hard you try. You have to be there and even then, the recording won’t be the same.
    It's all opinion on both sides definitely. You can't TRULY capture a Garth show.. no .. Garth tried (and has failed IMO) with his doctored double live.. The BEST way? to be there live, absolutely.

simple math though- . your experience + an audio of a live show (full audio) = a more complete and lasting memory. (heck, especially if it were of the show you went to.) (I have that blessing due to a nicely placed iPhone during the 2nd of 3 shows I went to in Denver).. Honestly though? I agree it is opinion- what some feel isn't what others feel..

I went to 3 shows this tour...and thinking back on those “unique” moments...proposals, special shout outs, one on one conversations...I prefer having those memories over having only half the experience recorded.
    understood- I feel that a recorded experience would only enhance such an experience... more so than a generic, doctored and 'spruced up' live "collection"..

Just me. I get it, but I actually kinda like having a live album be “the best of the best” of a tour.
    real live album vs collection aside... I like the 'best of the best' idea.. It's just when Garth's "best of the best" turns in to all songs coming from a limited set of cities. (i.e. how DL appeared to mostly be from CP, Dublin, Dallas, etc.. the prerecorded for video type of shows) added to doctored up sound (the atrocious intro to We shall BE free for example.. studio into live.. ugh).. that takes away form it..
    NOW, if it truly were a 'best of the best' of the TOUR? (i.e. just recordings solely from this tour.. (Garth mentioned he was starting to record the shows when he was in Denver).. THAT might be ok... if it truly were a collection... of many shows represented... as much audio and as much video as was most likely recorded.. there's no reason a 'live album' from the tour couldn't be culled together.. maybe no banter with crowd... but the setlist being solid... you could follow that (i.e. make the opening track be MAM and/or BLLDAD, then flow into rodeo etc. as the playlist did... could be best of both worlds

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I can completely understand why people want live versions of the encores...but who really cares about the "full show" part being presented in full when each one is nearly identical down to the banter?

I agree. His show has been televised so many times that there isn't much different between each one. I saw some of his show this weekend on Snapchat and the verbage is almost identical from when I saw him in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio and Lubbock. And then add to that his New York show that was televised last year. I would really like to hear the encore stuff where he plays live the songs that were never released to radio that we all love.

However, it's not always perfect recordings. His voice cracks pretty good at the end of It's Your Song on Double Live.

That was intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Garthmedic View Post
    That was intentional.
    Wasn't that because it was taken from Buffalo Ny (I think) when his mom was there, and he brought her up on stage, and sang the song to her?

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

That was intentional.
    Of course. But he was willing to let imperfection show.

The video for IYS showed that moment of his voice cracking. You hear the song today, many years after watching the video and it reminds you why. The power of music:-)

Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    Of course. But he was willing to let imperfection show.

Because the "awwwwww" factor highly outweighed the "Ahhhhhhhh" factor

Because the "awwwwww" factor highly outweighed the "Ahhhhhhhh" factor
    Lol. Good one!

I really love the pearl jam idea, just release live albums from the shows he done.

On his 1994 WORLD TOUR (an actual world tour) he recorded every show, it would be amazing to have cd of his New Zealand show, also from his european
    and australian shows from that tour.

It would be so raw.

He has the tapes, he should just released him.

Garth has blatantly said that he will NEVER do this. I would love it, every fan who attends his shows would love it. But as has been said, he's way too much of a perfectionist to let "imperfect" performances get out. He somehow thinks that it would not represent country music well. I also feel he's nervous that folks would realize that all the "spontaneous" moments throughout the shows that make them "special" are really just well calculated and rehearsed bits. But anyone who attends multiple shows in a weekend already knows that, so, it's not like it's that big of a secret.

I dunno, like I said, I would still love to be able to have "my" shows. One of my favorite things about attending a Metallica concert this summer was being able to buy "my" show and listen to it over and over. If Garth did this, I would literally go broke just buying shows for the different housekeeping performances. Some of my all-time favorite songs are Ireland and Red Strokes. He's done both at a lot of shows throughout the tour, just not at any of the 3 shows Ive seen. Well, because of his hatred for Youtube and the swiftness of his lawyers, I've never been able to see any of those performances. If he released the recordings of his concerts, I wouldn't be able to resist.

Like Emerald, I am a huge Metallica fan and I think they handle the live recording element perfectly. Through their career they have released more polished live albums and DVDs for the casual fan and for mass release. However, they also make it available to purchase every single show (since 2004 I think) so you can have your particular show. I have 4 of the 6 shows I've been to on either CD or in my iTunes. I've also purchased some of the more unique setlists over the years (like their 30th anniversary shows or when they played an album in its entirety).

I also think it is quiet interesting what Eric Church is currently doing. He is releasing 122 live tracks from his most recent tour. So far he has released 60 of the tracks and only one song is a repeat. It is a song in which he did both an acoustic and full band version. As of now there are 19 covers thrown in the mix plus a song he wrote, but never put on an album. I imagine there are about that many more "new" things in the next 62 songs still coming. When it is over he will have released a live version of almost every song he's ever recorded plus dozens of covers or "new" songs. Not only that there are vocal flubs, laughing, banter, imperfect notes hit, etc. which clearly seems to indicate these recordings are pretty raw. I love those performances because they aren't just the record with crowd noise in the back. You can feel the energy and fun that everyone is having.

It is the out of the box thinking of acts like Metallica and Church that I think frustrates me with Garth's overly polished live tracks on record. We already have a Double Live (which is highly doctored). I don't want Triple Live to basically be an updated Double Live. I hope for something different. Whether it be a little more raw (I doubt that happens) or whether it is sequenced in the order of a show (a little more hope for this). Like many have mentioned, I go to multiple shows not to hear FILP or The Dance over and over, but to see what the encore holds. That section of the show is the highlight EVERY TIME and most people I know, even casual fans, usually think the same thing. I do think that would translate to audio well and I think people would gravitate to that.

What is so funny is I think Garth's strengths as a live performer, the truly spontaneous things, is actually what he seems to be most self-conscious about. He seems scared to death to play an album cut, but often so many love and gravitate to that. He seems so self-conscious to let anyone hear the imperfect house cleaning segment (except for those in the audience), but most who care want to hear that. As I've said before, I get he is tailoring to the masses, but it doesn't seem to hurt Metallica and Church to tailor a little more to the hardcore fan base. To me it seems to make that base bigger because more people want to come along for the ride.

good points Ryan, without delving too much into the 'what other bands do' type of thinking.. I like the ideas myself..

Now, with Garth honestly I hadn't thought of the idea of him playing a whole album- now THAT would be a nice way to help some of the songwriters... those who have contributed but maybe only on an album cut / not a single? hearing some of them live would be great..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    good points Ryan, without delving too much into the 'what other bands do' type of thinking.. I like the ideas myself..

Now, with Garth honestly I hadn't thought of the idea of him playing a whole album- now THAT would be a nice way to help some of the songwriters... those who have contributed but maybe only on an album cut / not a single? hearing some of them live would be great..
    Isn't he basically done helping the songwriters through normal sales and royalties now? Didn't he just offer them a one-time end-all-be-all payout so that he can avoid another fiasco like 2015's failed No Fences Anniversary Edition and so that he basically do whatever he wants with his songs from now on? Would live recordings be included in that deal, or would they be separate?

+ Reply to Thread