+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not sure about this info but....

Not sure about this info but....

I was checking out the Garth section at a used record store I discovered today and was chatting with the owner who actually knew stuff about Garth. He claimed that a friend of his wrote a couple songs for Garth. I didn't ask which one since he was crowded and I didn't want to disrupt his business. He had no Garth but I wanted to be nice so I bought the only Garth that was really Chris Gaines. I already have 2 regular and 3 Hologram but what the heck. To get to the point. The guy said Garth made a deal with the songwriters on his albums that he would pay them now for all the royalties in a lump sum if they gave up rights after the music that is out there is sold out. Something to do with stuff being released under just the Pearl Records. I wonder why he would do something like that. I know he said he wanted to clear the shelves but financially is it better for the songwriters?

Could be he's still feeling burned by how the songwriters vetoed the once planned Anniversary Edition of No Fences, and he just doesn't them to be able to block any re-releases in the future.

And I guess whether or not it's better for the songwriters depends on how much the lump sum is.

I think one lump sum is brilliant, if I was a song writer and someone like Garth offered me a lump sum to have the right to my song, I would take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    I think one lump sum is brilliant, if I was a song writer and someone like Garth offered me a lump sum to have the right to my song, I would take it.
    In today's music industry you're right. 20 years ago no so much.

+ Reply to Thread