+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Anthology...

Sooo the discs are basically the first six albums with 2 or 3 special tracks and a big book?

But, none of the songs from the Limited Series appear? No connection with The Lost Session songs? Which songs were from what album, why they were cut?

If this is just another repackage of the first six discs, I'm probably alone, I'm disappointed.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by fences2312 View Post
    Sooo the discs are basically the first six albums with 2 or 3 special tracks and a big book?

But, none of the songs from the Limited Series appear? No connection with The Lost Session songs? Which songs were from what album, why they were cut?

If this is just another repackage of the first six discs, I'm probably alone, I'm disappointed.
    Well Fences... a few things

1- it appears to be 5 discs, not 6.. Covering GB, NF, RTW, TC, IP.. The Christmas album isn't present either.

2- we don't know if there will be any connection t any of the limited series songs.. (the add ons' as it were.) AT least I haven't found out anything yet.. It's possible that they may be mentioned in the book but it sounds like no they're not on the CD's.. it's the original 'lineup' of songs...

3- See #2- we don't know yet if there will be any 'connection' with the lost sessions songs.. I'd imagine that will come into being (the lost sessions songs) more into Part 3 or 4... they may be mentioned in the book though- we don't know. your objections may be mentioned in full or in part with the book...

4- I'm an objective garth fan (i.e. meaning I don't worry about having aberrant opinions/criticizing Garth even when some of the blind are upset by the observations..) (no not everyone's 'blind' fandom wise w/ Garth (before someone gets pissy about it)
    I've been annoyed with Garth as much as anyone, and have called him out as it were, on his obsessive repackaging of things.. Still? I don't think that your'e being fair in this case. from what I've seen- it's not simply a 'repackaging'... there's more to it- alternate takes, etc..we'll have to wait until November to know for certain though
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by fences2312 View Post

I'm just meh with this release as well. The book will be cool I guess, but truthfully I'll probably only thumb through it once or twice before it starts collecting dust on my shelf.

As for the music, none of the demo stuff sounds that exciting to me, specially if some of them don't end up being Garth on vocals. Now if he was releasing high quality remastered versions of The Hungry Years songs, demos for all of the songs on the old albums (rather than just some of them), and/or previously unreleased songs that were considered for each album but eventually cut, then this would get me more excited. But after seeing the tracklist for disc 1, where all but 3 tracks are the same old songs I've already purchased 7-8 times now, I'm admittedly less enthused.

Clearly, Garth is very proud of this release, and he's obviously put a lot of thought into it, but I would rather see the CDs consist of all demos and NO master tracks. The problem with that, however, is that all 19 of the demos Garth chose could likely fit on just 1-2 discs, and we all know that getting RIAA certifications for 5 unnecessarily padded discs is WAY more important. Sorry to be cynical. I'm just tired of Garth packaging his new stuff with all the old stuff in his endless search for higher RIAA numbers.
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 10-05-2017 at 03:04 AM.

I understand Emerald and others who may not be fired up about this release. I was pretty critical of the last box set (Ultimate Collection) because I felt like there was just not enough new stuff. There were only 2 bonus tracks on Gunslinger, "1982", and a handful of live tracks that primarily came from TV specials we all already have.

I've just come to the conclusion that he is going to rehash old material. I think that is the new reality. So how I choose to judge the boxes is by asking is there enough new material to justify the purchase price because the new material is, in my mind, what I'm buying the product for.

This is a case where I think the answer is yes. We know there is a book, written by Garth, and 19 unreleased tracks. We also know there is a video documentary coming to accompany it. If the pattern holds and all boxes are similar to this first one we could end up with close to 100 unreleased tracks, 5 books and a video documentary in the 10-12 hour neighborhood. When you put all that together I am very excited for this project. Sure, I understand there will be a ton of music rehashed, and I'd love to have more unreleased stuff, but this is the kind of project I've wanted. I'm actually stunned he is doing an Anthology. Since he seems to be such a perfectionist, control freak with releases I never thought we'd see anything like this. I think this is a dream project and I personally am very excited.

Again, I understand and respect those who don't, but I personally can't wait for this.

The one big question I have is what has happened to the Triple Live talk? Is that coming too or will it be pushed off and put into the live box of the Anthology?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m okay with the amount of new material. The book and demos all seem cool. (The documentary seems cool too, but I hope he won’t make us buy the whole box again in the Spring just to get it!).

I’m just annoyed he padded it out to 5 discs with so much old stuff just to seemingly boost his RIAA numbers. But as rhd13 said, that’s just Garth’s MO and has been since the first Limited Series box.
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 10-05-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Well Fences... a few things

1- it appears to be 5 discs, not 6.. Covering GB, NF, RTW, TC, IP.. The Christmas album isn't present either.

2- we don't know if there will be any connection t any of the limited series songs.. (the add ons' as it were.) AT least I haven't found out anything yet.. It's possible that they may be mentioned in the book but it sounds like no they're not on the CD's.. it's the original 'lineup' of songs...

3- See #2- we don't know yet if there will be any 'connection' with the lost sessions songs.. I'd imagine that will come into being (the lost sessions songs) more into Part 3 or 4... they may be mentioned in the book though- we don't know. your objections may be mentioned in full or in part with the book...

4- I'm an objective garth fan (i.e. meaning I don't worry about having aberrant opinions/criticizing Garth even when some of the blind are upset by the observations..) (no not everyone's 'blind' fandom wise w/ Garth (before someone gets pissy about it)
    I've been annoyed with Garth as much as anyone, and have called him out as it were, on his obsessive repackaging of things.. Still? I don't think that your'e being fair in this case. from what I've seen- it's not simply a 'repackaging'... there's more to it- alternate takes, etc..we'll have to wait until November to know for certain though
    If you look closely at the disc underneath the one on top, in the picture with all the discs stacked up, you can clearly see "Which One of Them" is on one of the discs.

So we know at least one song from The Limited Series is in this collection. As that song was featured on The Limited Series version of Ropin' The Wind.

Yeah yeah! I'm still super excited about this project! Just...not so much the music part. Again, I think the book series is really cool. Each accompanying documentary sounds great too.

I don't really care about the RIAA stuff. That's his deal, doesn't bother me at all. He's hardly the only one, he's just REALLY good at it. Like it was mentioned above, if there is enough new material to justify the purchase, then I'm cool with it.

Was there anything mentioned on Studio G about the Anthology tonight. I only saw a little bit of it?

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    Was there anything mentioned on Studio G about the Anthology tonight. I only saw a little bit of it?
    I could be wrong, I missed about the first 8 min, but I don't think so.. They did (shaking head ) make an announcement about next week and it being big.. (granted, they had things planned for last week but with vegas that didn't happen...) I think if there's stuff announced it'll happen next week

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Thanks. :-)

Thanks. :-)
    no prob- hate to say it- but the inside studio G's are really getting to kinda drag on some.. w/o new stuff talked about

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

So Limited Edition is going for almost $10 LESS than regular edition. I can oly guess that is because he wants to up numbers for RIAA and to make sure the shelves are emptied of Limited Edition. I can see regular edition hanging around until all five sets are released. So how many copies will he release for shipping purposes and RIAA numbers. Half a million of each or a million of each. The numbers could be staggering. Five sets x 5 or 10 depending on how many copies shipped. One other thought I had on Anthology is: How are they going to handle a paperback release of book or will they have one? I think it will stay a hard cover coffee table book style.

I forgot to mention, we are a month away from the release. Can't wait.

So Limited Edition is going for almost $10 LESS than regular edition. I can oly guess that is because he wants to up numbers for RIAA and to make sure the shelves are emptied of Limited Edition. I can see regular edition hanging around until all five sets are released. So how many copies will he release for shipping purposes and RIAA numbers. Half a million of each or a million of each. The numbers could be staggering. Five sets x 5 or 10 depending on how many copies shipped. One other thought I had on Anthology is: How are they going to handle a paperback release of book or will they have one? I think it will stay a hard cover coffee table book style.
    Not sure if the RIAA will have anything to do with this as itís being marketed as a book and not CD box set. Plus, thereís a minimum amount multi disc sets can be priced in order to qualify.

I have been wondering the same thing. I think the RIAA limit is $3 a disc. Plus because it is market as a book.... I have tried to get information about that but haven't heard anything. But if it does get counted, Garth will be a happy man.

I have been wondering the same thing. I think the RIAA limit is $3 a disc. Plus because it is market as a book.... I have tried to get information about that but haven't heard anything. But if it does get counted, Garth will be a happy man.
    Im guessing on Tomorrow's studio G , we are going to know so much more about the Anthology.

This is going be a must owned for any Garth or any music fan. So impressed with what I saw today.

Can’t wait to go home and download the show- details? Or did he just show it off?

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

He said he loves the pictures the most. Trisha wrote the back cover. Showed the 5 disc inside the book but didn't really "show" anything up close. He gave it to Victoria Shaw at the end, which was cool:-)

Most exciting part for me was he mentioned a song, I believe he called it “Leon”? That never made it to an album and is included in the Anthology. I was hoping there would be some totally new songs!

Question: Is this more a book with cd's rather than a "box set?" I ask, because if it's a book, there's a possibility he'll do a little book tour like Bruce Springsteen did last year.

Mostly book with numerous pictures seem to be the focus of it. The time frame seems to be wide open right now but it looks like one a year probably...

Definitely not a box set. Full book. The discs appeared to be on the front cover.

Someone asked if he’d do book signings and he seemed to shoot that down. (The thought of a signing event, he obviously said he’d sign it if people ask.)

Yeah, count me as being much more excited about the Anthology than I was before.

I just really hope that the corresponding video documentary they're supposedly released in the spring will be a separate release so that you don't have to buy the book again to get it. That said, I'm guessing that tonight's round table concert he did (and was filming) is for that documentary.

How do I know if I'll get it release day I ordered on Amazon with prime 2 day shipping
    When we're free to love anyone we choose, when this world's big enough for all different views When we all can worship from our own kind of pew, then we shall be free

The limited edition is currently #5 on Amazon's list of bestselling books.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    That is really cool! And this is just an observation, but I find it interesting that the pre-order links on his site go to Walmart considering his music partnership with Amazon. All the other links on his site got Amazon.

Wish they'd give us a track list!

Quote Originally Posted by Garthoholic24 View Post
    How do I know if I'll get it release day I ordered on Amazon with prime 2 day shipping
    good question- I'm going with the I hope it'll be there type of response. I've had mine preordered for a while.. I'm imagining it'll be there on time... (delivery day)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread