+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 248

Thread: The Anthology...

  1. #91
    Is the only difference between the Limited Edition and the regular one the silver slipcover then?

  2. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by mdewater View Post
    Is the only difference between the Limited Edition and the regular one the silver slipcover then?
    This was a good find! It appears that's all the difference is besides "Limited First Edition" printed on the discs.

    I actually zoomed in on this version and noticed 11 tracks -- three of which appear to be demos and the master version... "If Tomorrow Never Comes," "Much Too Young" and "The Dance." Can't read the entire disc, but that's Disc one, "Year One."

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    6,514
    thanks for that find!! I cancelled my reg. pre order and went for the limited one!
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Walmart actually has 2 listings with the same price, but different ISBN numbers. Makes me wonder if they are getting an exclusive version of some sort.

    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Garth-Bro...5942#read-more

    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Garth-Bro...5941#read-more
    I guess the separate First Edition version accounts for the two different ISBN's on Walmart.com. Btw... the prices on Walmart for the two versions (no idea which one is which) are currently $28.96 and $24.97.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Just south of nowhere
    Posts
    1,350
    Oh no, they showed the picture of him singing the National Anthem and not taking a knee, I'm offended! Hahahaha

    It really is a really cool package! I hope the book is real and not mostly fluff stories that we've heard already. I hope he gets deep.

  6. #96
    Here's a question for y'all: I wonder how big a difference we'll get between The Anthology and Patsi Cox's The Garth Factor?

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    6,514
    Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    Oh no, they showed the picture of him singing the National Anthem and not taking a knee, I'm offended! Hahahaha

    It really is a really cool package! I hope the book is real and not mostly fluff stories that we've heard already. I hope he gets deep.
    Not to be a buzzkill, Bitter, but seriously? can we keep the political crap w/ the anthem and the "protests" etc.. off of here? geez... (even if it was an off-handed joke...)

    It does look like a cool package.. I'm beginning to wonder if a lot of the book will be almost track by track in some ways... who knows
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    6,514
    The Garth factor... I've not read that book in a long time.... a long time... what do you mean exactly Electric? (cause I'm blanking on a lot of the book right now honestly)
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  9. #99
    My big wish for this thing, is the same as "YouSoundBitter"

    I hope its not rehashed stories or fluff pieces.

    I have to say with the photos, that have been released of the Anthology , (that shows old photographs of Garth), I have seen all those photos before online and in magazines and books.

    They may be rare, but they have been released before.

    I'm pretty sure there will be ones we haven't seen before.

    Again, Garth has a chance to really cement his legacy, and this is the way to do it, he doesnt get another chance to do a anthology on his first five years.

    If done right, this will be the greatest thing Garth has ever released, and will loved and cherished as a musical document ob one of music's greatest artists and one of the man who changed country music history.

    If it's rehashed stories from old interviews, Newspaper clippings, PR photos that were given to the media when he first came out, and the like, then Garth would've done the biggest mistake he has since Chris Gaines.

    This has to be special, it has to be what Garth says it is. I will go as far as to say this will define his career, because its a Document of it, not a cheap ass doco put together, not a bunch of interviews from The Tonight show.

    We have to learn something new, it cant be just something along the lines of "Tony Arata is a nice guy"

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Just south of nowhere
    Posts
    1,350
    Dude, it was clearly a joke ("hahaha") aiming towards media, calm down bud...

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,264
    I'm not optimistic that the Anthology is going to include too much more that the hard-core fans don't already know or haven't heard or read. As closely as some of us have followed his career, there is not much that we probably don't know about him. I am interested in listening to him talk about the stories behind the songs, what went on during the recording of the songs and the alternate versions of the songs. But even with the stories behind the songs, we have heard a lot of that on the Garth Channel and in interviews that he has done over the years. It will be nice to have everything in one place and "from the horse's mouth."

    Paula

    Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

  12. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    The Garth factor... I've not read that book in a long time.... a long time... what do you mean exactly Electric? (cause I'm blanking on a lot of the book right now honestly)
    To be fair I haven't done a read through in a while either but I will say for the record, I don't expect Garth to outright dish out dirt on his peers because he doesn't roll like that, I do imagine him maybe sharing backstage stories with other artists that he's worked with. I would like to hear his story of attending a Ricky Skaggs concert at Dollywood.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    6,514
    Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    Dude, it was clearly a joke ("hahaha") aiming towards media, calm down bud...
    Ahh Bitter.. I'll let ya have the last word ,its not worth going round and round.. just keep the political stuff to a min eh?
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    6,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    I'm not optimistic that the Anthology is going to include too much more that the hard-core fans don't already know or haven't heard or read. As closely as some of us have followed his career, there is not much that we probably don't know about him. I am interested in listening to him talk about the stories behind the songs, what went on during the recording of the songs and the alternate versions of the songs. But even with the stories behind the songs, we have heard a lot of that on the Garth Channel and in interviews that he has done over the years. It will be nice to have everything in one place and "from the horse's mouth."

    Paula
    Good point Paula- There will probably be those of us who have heard/read a lot of what 's out there.. (though I, like you am looking forward to some of the stories behind things etc..)

    that brings up a question... - how quickly will this anthology breed the complaints of 'nothing knew' or 'we knew all this already'.. hopefully it won't at all
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    6,514
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    To be fair I haven't done a read through in a while either but I will say for the record, I don't expect Garth to outright dish out dirt on his peers because he doesn't roll like that, I do imagine him maybe sharing backstage stories with other artists that he's worked with. I would like to hear his story of attending a Ricky Skaggs concert at Dollywood.

    ahh - "dirt dishing". yeah, I'm fairly certain he won't be doing that... that hasn't ever seemed to be his style.. but working w/ other artists- that'll be a fun thing to read about.. how deep do the 'stories' go?
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  16. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    I'm not optimistic that the Anthology is going to include too much more that the hard-core fans don't already know or haven't heard or read. As closely as some of us have followed his career, there is not much that we probably don't know about him. I am interested in listening to him talk about the stories behind the songs, what went on during the recording of the songs and the alternate versions of the songs. But even with the stories behind the songs, we have heard a lot of that on the Garth Channel and in interviews that he has done over the years. It will be nice to have everything in one place and "from the horse's mouth."

    Paula
    I guess we are vaguely going to know from past interviews, some of the stories, my hope that its jut NOT directly taken from Old/Past interviews etc etc. That wouldnt be a good look. As long as it
    seems to be something coming from "2017" Garth, reflecting on the early 90's, not a bunch of stories he has already told from the 90's written as new.

  17. #107
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Just south of nowhere
    Posts
    1,350
    He doesn't talk bad about anyone and doesn't talk about his good deeds so there isn't much in the middle. I hardly think he would even talk about Sandy either.
    Since it's an anthology it will probably be more music/studio story based than a autobiography I think.... I'm still looking forward to it!!!!!!!

  18. #108
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    6,514
    Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    He doesn't talk bad about anyone and doesn't talk about his good deeds so there isn't much in the middle. I hardly think he would even talk about Sandy either.
    Since it's an anthology it will probably be more music/studio story based than a autobiography I think.... I'm still looking forward to it!!!!!!!
    Hmmm.. Well, he'll have to mention her a bit... After all Sandy's a co-writer on "Ive got a good thing going " and "That Summer"..

    I doubt there will be too much about the personal life aspect, yeah... most likely a song/album type of focus.. (I'm almost seeing it sorted up by album, with a track by track discussion/story, etc..) could be wrong though
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  19. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Just south of nowhere
    Posts
    1,350
    I wonder if it will be track by track? While most probably do have at least a tid bit of story, especially since most is co-written by GB. However I'm sure there's some that are just simply 'I like it, so we cut it...'

  20. #110
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    6,514
    I'd be willing to wager (and I know that I've spoken against speculation before in the past- open mouth insert foot here I guess).. that it'll be track by track - to a point.. that's where the stories about the songs can come.. the 'first listens', etc.. My GUESS? There will be an intro to each 'year' or 'album'... a bit from Garth about the general time / era / what was going on, etc.. an Intro as it were..

    Then, the bulk of the rest of the chapter will be talking about / looking at the tracks song by song.. (but then again, that's me...)
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  21. #111
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,264
    The pictures are up on WalMart's website, and the price of the Limited Edition has gone up to $29.99 from the original price of $24.97. The regular edition price remains the same at $28.96.

    Target also has the limited edition (same ISBN number) available for pre-order at $24.99 (and, for those who have a Target credit card, you get free shipping and an additional 5% off).
    https://www.target.com/p/garth-brook...s/-/A-52971808

    I also checked Barnes and Noble and Costco (those are the only other two retailers I remember being mentioned). Costco still doesn't have it, and Barnes and Noble links you to a third-party site that gives a description for each, with the only difference being "Limited Edition Housed In A Slip Case".
    https://www.soundstagedirect.com/gar...ion-book.shtml

    Paula

    Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

  22. #112
    Based on the Target photos, each album represents one year. Can't read the track listing well, but on Year 5 I can see "One Night A Day (Master)" and "Standing Outside the Fire (Master)" - And Year Two appears to start with two versions of "The Thunder Rolls." One is called a "Day-Write," which is described as the writer singing with either just a guitar or piano backing.

  23. #113
    Year 1 Tracklist (From the Walmart photos):

    1. Not Counting You (Master)
    2. I've Got A Good Thing Going (Master)
    3. If Tomorrow Never Comes (Day-Write)
    4. If Tomorrow Never Comes (Master)
    5. Every Time That It Rains (Master)
    6. Alabama Clay (Master)
    7. Much Too Young (First Take)
    8. Much Too Young (Master)
    9. Cowboy Bill (Master)
    10. The Dance (Tony Arata Day-Write)
    11. The Dance (Master)

    The Limited First Edition comes in silver slip case. Albums are also silver.

  24. #114
    The sticker on the Target box suggests that there are no new songs.

    "19 New or Unreleased Versions"

    Which is an awfully silly and redundant way to word it. If a song is new, it's already unreleased. If a song is unreleased, then it's new. No need to say both.

    I'm a little bummed to see the Year One album is mostly masters. They don't interest me as much as first takes and writer versions...but I think The Anthology will be worth it for the written portion more than the music.

  25. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sevens View Post
    The sticker on the Target box suggests that there are no new songs.

    "19 New or Unreleased Versions"

    Which is an awfully silly and redundant way to word it. If a song is new, it's already unreleased. If a song is unreleased, then it's new. No need to say both.

    I'm a little bummed to see the Year One album is mostly masters. They don't interest me as much as first takes and writer versions...but I think The Anthology will be worth it for the written portion more than the music.
    Agreed but I really hope the writer versions (other than The Dance) are Garth's and not someone else singing a song Garth covered. I hope Ropin' The Wind - In Pieces feature all Garth.

  26. #116
    Whats the difference between master and first take???

    I thought master was a first take???

  27. #117
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    1,037
    Garth sings a song multiple times before they select the version used on the album. For instance a different version of Ask Me How I Know is on the first and regular edition of the Gunslinger album. The final version selected becomes the Master copy.

  28. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,333
    Yeah I understand the “Master” versions to be the same old regular album versions we already have (albeit likely in their 2014 remixed iterations).

  29. #119
    So the master version is the original version that appeared on the CD when it was FIRST released?

  30. #120
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    So the master version is the original version that appeared on the CD when it was FIRST released?
    No, I assume we'll get the 2014 remixed versions.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts