+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 160 Million sold???

160 Million sold???

This article was published today and the writer says Garth has sold 160 million albums? From 149 to 160 and the RIAA still says 148. Where are they getting the numbers? Is Garth adding soundscan numbers to RIAA numbers or something?

http://calgaryherald.com/storyline/f...rth-phenomenon

My guess would be they added streaming from Amazon onto the total, but RIAA hasn't updated it yet, officially.

I don't think there is any way in this world Garth has streamed enough on Amazon to register an extra 12 million in RIAA certifications. If I remember correctly 150 streams equals 1 sale. So it is necessary to have 150 million streams for a 1 million certification. That means he would have had to stream 1.8 BILLION times. No way that has happened.

The more reasonable thing would be the author of the article looked at the Wikipedia article of Best Selling Artists in the world where Garth is listed as selling 160 million. Most of the time world numbers are quoted from a record label source or an article (in which they most certainly used a press release). Record labels notoriously fudge figures and often will combine album, single, video sales, etc. and use the term "records" to cover all their bases. This, of course, stacks the numbers. Since there is no certification body that covers the entire world this is usually how world numbers are calculated. It is usually just "claims" by artists with nobody able to double check the figures (which is what the RIAA does).

Of course, another possibility is Garth has already sold 1 million boxes of 10 or 12 discs to a retailer already and is just waiting to make it official HA!

In the USA, the best country in the world
    it's an article (human interest fluff...) on garth yes, but I wouldn't glean anything from it numbers wise.. I doubt Garth's sold 160 million too, but even so.. no use in analyzing.. it's not like the author spent any time on the #'s, mostly just mentioned it in passing.. nice article though!
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I didn't say it was all streaming. Between the Amazon deal and Target deal, adding TUH I'm sure his number is higher than the 149 million. 160? Probably not close to that yet.

The figure is maybe worldwide I guess

I am not sure how that figure came about. A bigger number than Garth gave the local writers here in July (149 million) and what they mentioned on tv the other night for CMA thing (again 149) and that was taped earlier in the year. I am thinking maybe RHD13 is right. With 25th anniversary of The Chase and In Pieces and a 10 disc boxed set with Wal Mart or Target maybe thats how he got numbers. I am still confused how they count songs sold/streamed and that TEA count. But even if Garth has numbers from streaming and stuff, the RIAA won't release numbers until it is paid to certify them. If someone had access to Soundscan numbers that might help a little.Again I am speculating, if these figures are true, then Garth is only 18 million behind Beatles. If he releases his catalog with just Pearl Records and not with Capital, add a second release during the last part of year, he could very well be close or pass the Beatles until they pay to certify thier catalog again. I know people say the Beatles are still selling but except for the SGt Peppers and Hollywood Bowl, they haven't had any product recently and RIAA cerify's what has been shipped, not sold. So Beatles can be selling what was shipped previously. So until both decide to update numbers it is speculation and something fun to play with until new product comes out. :-)

Look, I know we've had these conversations a million times and it is like beating a dead horse, but sometimes I think we fail to miss just how hard it is to have a platinum album these days. Unless you are Adele or Taylor Swift most artists are ecstatic with a platinum certification. We are sitting here talking about Garth moving 30 million units to catch the Beatles. It is this kind of talk that brings to the forefront just how much he's playing the system since the comeback.

Don't get me wrong he is playing within the rules. I also understand other artists implement some of these same tricks, but let's be real, no one manipulates the system like Garth. Between multi-disc sets, deals with exclusive retailers where they guarantee to buy a certain amount, etc. I get why some roll their eyes at these numbers. Adele's last record sold 10 million, Taylor Swift's sold 6 million. Surely no one believes Garth getting certified at 10 million for the last box is equal to that. Garth is not the force in the current music marketplace that those 2 acts are but is moving comparable units (at least getting retail to buy those units). Like many here I saw some of his last box on clearance for under $10 at Target presumably so they could move them.

I guess there are 2 sides. As a numbers guy who has followed this since I was a teen and worked in country radio it is amazing in some ways. In other ways it bothers me because I know that he is manipulating the system. Granted, it's within the rules, but it still feels a little shady.

I honestly don't know which side I fall on, meaning I don't know if this is good or bad. Either way it is interesting and means that we as fans get more products. Just hope there is more "new" than rehashed.

I know how hard it is for most acts to have a platinum album but they aren't rare to well known acts or those who promote or use various ways to sell albums. Garth happens to be good at it. But today's artists are looking for other ways to sell albums. Taylor Swift for example. With todays acts not getting platinum albums like in the past, she is working very hard to have a million seller that first week. She has taken it up a notch with her marketing. Everyone has there ways. After Michael Jackson sold his 20 Million copies of Thriller, he planned the marketing of BAD with the goal of selling 30 Million of that album (according to a recent article in Billboard). He didn't even make it halfway there even after the sales when he died. Billboard said it was because the business went back to a singles mentality. With 311 million people in the United States, the market for catalog albums is wide open. With as many times he has released Garth Brooks, that album has sold 10 million copies at last certification. That means 301 million people out there doesn't have a copy. Not everyone wants a copy or the family already has one. But there is still people wanting his albums who can't buy them. I was at our local trading place and asked the guy why he didn't have any Garth Brooks in stock. He said (in his words) a bunch of kids cleared him out when Garth played the Paso Robles Mid State Fair. So when he releases his old stuff in boxed sets or anniversary editions, he is just giving those who didn't buy his stuff in the 90's a chance to get them. Sure his is about the numbers. He is in the music business and that is what he is supposed to do. Sell music. Nobody says it has to be new music everytime. Thats why greatest hits, best of etc have always been big sellers. People like to buy the catalog stuff. I have copies of different best of of Elvis, Stevie Nicks, the Supremes, Patsy Cline and many others. Like I have said before, if you don't want to buy rerelease music, don't buy it. Let him sell to those who want to buy it. Then when he releases new stuff then go buy. Garth isn't there to just please the fans who want new or different stuff, he is in the business to sell music. He works within the system like others and if he is more successful, then props to him. I am just happy he keeps putting out various configurations of new and catalog music. I will take anything he decides to do.

I agree! Alot of people think it's all about numbers but it's not just that. It's new fans from a current tour, it's replacement CDs from lost or stolen fans, and it's also gifts. Alot of artist reissue albums multiple times throughout their careers but with us being Garth fans we know when he does reissue them, while other artist just do it quietly. Either way is ok, it's up to them, not us to make it newsworthy or not...

I'm not trying to be contrary or difficult. I actually agree with most of what the last two posters said. I just think it is different views. I will say I hate the "if you don't want it don't buy it" argument. When you throw a handful of new songs in a box set you are "forcing" someone to buy a box set if they want that new material. I get no one is "forcing" you but it is making it where you may have to purchase a ton of stuff you already have to get what you do want. They are aware that the hardcore fan will go back and buy again and they use that to their advantage (and taking advantage of those fans).

Yes, I understand it is a business. I worked in radio for 7 years. Trust me, I get that as much as anyone here. However, not all artists take this approach. I am a huge Metallica fan. They are rereleasing all of their catalog albums (individually) in a huge box set form offering tons of rarities from time period of the specific album featured. The next set coming has 10 CDs, 2 DVDs, and tons of other stuff. They are only making 30,000 (so it isn't an RIAA ploy) and they did not put shows that have been famously bootlegged in the set so the fans that buy the set actually get stuff they don't already have. What a concept! Sure, they are releasing smaller versions (single disc and 3 disc sets) for those casual fans that don't want to drop a lot of money for a big set. In their career they have never released a greatest hits album or tons of box sets although they clearly could do that to boost RIAA sales numbers. That approach still makes them boat loads of money (i.e. the business part everyone likes to bring up) but it is giving those fans who have everything some stuff that will appeal to them instead of trying to resell them what they already have. In other words, when I buy that box there will be 9 CDs/2 DVDs/etc. of stuff I don't own and it was the same for the two previous sets. Trust me, they are still making money and it's still a business to them but they are taking care of those who already own the catalog and giving them what they want not reselling them tons of what they already have.

Look, I love Garth is putting out lots of material. As a fan it's great. I just think it is a valid argument to say there are different ways of doing things that are more friendly to the hardcore fans. I know it isn't about us, but there are ways to appeal to us and appeal to the masses. As long as the price is reasonable I'll buy everything Garth puts out. I just think he has a one track mind (the RIAA numbers) and wonder how many copies I'll have of his music when this chase is over. He's just so desperate to rack up numbers he's literally giving albums away (Chase and In Pieces). That's great for the casual fan but that's not the same as someone buying it.

The only problem I have is, with a ton of his exclusive deals and box sets and such, he doesnt make it available to all countries, and this has always been the way.

Even going Way back in the day to "the magic of xmas" and The Lost sessions etc etc etc.

Some of his deals with places like Target and Amazon dont either deliver or allow downloads from New Zealand.

So i do one of two things, I get my brother to send me over the physical copy or lately Im of the mindset of...

"Garth, if the company your with wont allow me to download because of my location, or wont deliver to my address because of my location, there are other places I can download it from"

I mean, what else can I do?? Not sure if there is one other artist in any genre, that makes it this difficult for their overseas fans to buy their product.

Thankfully I have a brother and know of certain other sites I can download from.
    Last edited by Brett Dale; 09-03-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I know how hard it is for most acts to have a platinum album but they aren't rare to well known acts or those who promote or use various ways to sell albums. Garth happens to be good at it. But today's artists are looking for other ways to sell albums. Taylor Swift for example. With todays acts not getting platinum albums like in the past, she is working very hard to have a million seller that first week. She has taken it up a notch with her marketing. Everyone has there ways. After Michael Jackson sold his 20 Million copies of Thriller, he planned the marketing of BAD with the goal of selling 30 Million of that album (according to a recent article in Billboard). He didn't even make it halfway there even after the sales when he died. Billboard said it was because the business went back to a singles mentality. With 311 million people in the United States, the market for catalog albums is wide open. With as many times he has released Garth Brooks, that album has sold 10 million copies at last certification. That means 301 million people out there doesn't have a copy. Not everyone wants a copy or the family already has one. But there is still people wanting his albums who can't buy them. I was at our local trading place and asked the guy why he didn't have any Garth Brooks in stock. He said (in his words) a bunch of kids cleared him out when Garth played the Paso Robles Mid State Fair. So when he releases his old stuff in boxed sets or anniversary editions, he is just giving those who didn't buy his stuff in the 90's a chance to get them. Sure his is about the numbers. He is in the music business and that is what he is supposed to do. Sell music. Nobody says it has to be new music everytime. Thats why greatest hits, best of etc have always been big sellers. People like to buy the catalog stuff. I have copies of different best of of Elvis, Stevie Nicks, the Supremes, Patsy Cline and many others. Like I have said before, if you don't want to buy rerelease music, don't buy it. Let him sell to those who want to buy it. Then when he releases new stuff then go buy. Garth isn't there to just please the fans who want new or different stuff, he is in the business to sell music. He works within the system like others and if he is more successful, then props to him. I am just happy he keeps putting out various configurations of new and catalog music. I will take anything he decides to do.
    Exactly! As much as I want to see him release something new, I can understand his reasoning behind re-releasing "the old stuff". It's my choice as to whether it's worth it to buy a package that includes much of what I already have. If there is any added content, I most likely will buy it. If not, I may or may not buy it.

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

That is sad about music getting hard to get outside the USA. As a collector it is hard for me to find stuff from outside releases. I was lucky to get a Double Live Canadian and would love to get a second copy for my collection. I also got The Hits from the UK and No Fences and Ropin from UK and The Chase from Japan. I have gotten some singles from Australia. It would be nice if we could get copies from outside and for outside to get USA copies.
    Paula, totally agree. Plus someone mentioned releases with just some new stuff and not wanting the rest of the rerelease stuff. I think the price is usually the same as a single release and worth buying even if you get extra.
    What I would like to see is more people discovering Garth. I used my extra boxed sets to get the extra copies of the Double Live covers and gave away the extra albums to people I thought might like Garth. My friend Enrique only had really known "Friends in Low Places" and he loved the song. I gave him Double Live to hear other music and he copied and sent his girlfriend the music.
    I know we all have our selfish reasons for loving Garth's music. He has impacted many lives with his music. I hope he keeps releasing anything he wants, I hope he keeps reaching for his goals and numbers he wants. It is what he loves and I don't begradge anyone for reaching out to do what they want. And on a side note, I hope he gets Entertainer of the Year again so it impacts whatever he releases this fall. :-)

+ Reply to Thread