+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garth is an enigma or just confusing...LOL

Garth is an enigma or just confusing...LOL

Don't get me wrong. I love Garth Brooks. And I love collecting his albums in as many configuration or times he re-releases them. I don't download. So Garth was interviewed for this article:
    http://www.tennessean.com/story/ente...sis/573501001/

He says that songs that are album cuts don't get played or make money for writers so they suffer. So if Garth is worried about them getting money, why doesn't he release said album cuts to streaming, downloading or even as singles?
    Wouldn't this open the song writers up to more royalties? Plus if people wanted the hits they would have to buy the album.
    Like I said, I buy his albums, I am not into downloads but I think Garth could promote singles without worrying about radio airplay. I am sure if he got his machine behind singles he could sell copies to help the song writers. He could also do collector editions of his singles to help garner more royalties for the writers. I would buy them.
    I will continue to buy albums but I really have decided that his argument against singles is moot. I think if he would have released MOM as a stand alone single and promoted it around Mother's Day and holidays, it would have sold copies to those wanting to honor Mom.
    JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I love Garth Brooks. And I love collecting his albums in as many configuration or times he re-releases them. I don't download. So Garth was interviewed for this article:
    http://www.tennessean.com/story/ente...sis/573501001/

He says that songs that are album cuts don't get played or make money for writers so they suffer. So if Garth is worried about them getting money, why doesn't he release said album cuts to streaming, downloading or even as singles?
    Wouldn't this open the song writers up to more royalties? Plus if people wanted the hits they would have to buy the album.
    Like I said, I buy his albums, I am not into downloads but I think Garth could promote singles without worrying about radio airplay. I am sure if he got his machine behind singles he could sell copies to help the song writers. He could also do collector editions of his singles to help garner more royalties for the writers. I would buy them.
    I will continue to buy albums but I really have decided that his argument against singles is moot. I think if he would have released MOM as a stand alone single and promoted it around Mother's Day and holidays, it would have sold copies to those wanting to honor Mom.
    JMHO
    But... but... if he starts selling single downloads, then he won't be able to keep boosting his RIAA album numbers.

Garth is on streaming ...you you stream all of Garth's stuff on Amazon Music Unlimited .

Really cool service too!
    In the land, of the midnight sun!

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    But... but... if he starts selling single downloads, then he won't be able to keep boosting his RIAA album numbers.
    LOL. If he just did the non album cuts of his original albums he could still pad his RIAA numbers. He would keep the original hits not on Hits, Double Live, Original albums etc available only by buying the album. Then somebody likes album cut and wants more can buy the album. I know this won't happen but I think its a way to help song writers. Plus I may be wrong but I think the formula for sales now includes if you sell 10 downloads of songs it equals 1 album sale. So he could still pad his numbers.
    Personally I think he should do like Eagles did with a boxed set. They had all their albums in a small box with and numbered them. Doesn't need to do a million boxes, just a certain number for those who want to collect. The Eagles only did 20,000 (I have 19,260).
    again, JMHO.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    LOL. If he just did the non album cuts of his original albums he could still pad his RIAA numbers. He would keep the original hits not on Hits, Double Live, Original albums etc available only by buying the album. Then somebody likes album cut and wants more can buy the album. I know this won't happen but I think its a way to help song writers. Plus I may be wrong but I think the formula for sales now includes if you sell 10 downloads of songs it equals 1 album sale. So he could still pad his numbers.
    Personally I think he should do like Eagles did with a boxed set. They had all their albums in a small box with and numbered them. Doesn't need to do a million boxes, just a certain number for those who want to collect. The Eagles only did 20,000 (I have 19,260).
    again, JMHO.
    Other than banging my head against the wall a bit with a "I think he should do like <insert artist here> does.." comment... (no offense UK.. ) I think you have a great point, and honestly you point out another alternative/poss. for Garth to do things Digitally- Garth's comments about supporting the songwriters, etc.. are a bunch of crap.. IMO... There are ways to support them.. The lines about physical sales? also crap... True- Garth gets that with amazon, etc. and that's great.. I don't dispute that (and heck, I'm going to get all my garth music in a physical AND digital format if all possible, because I like the physical CD in a collection along with the clear quality digital format..

It's simple enough. Garth was pig headed and wanted things done HIS way.. I get a feeling he wanted to play the game only on his terms, and Apple wouldn't cow to him the way that Amazon did. Apple's bigger than "Garth Brooks" on a whole.... They would LOVE to have him on their service... They don't NEED him on their service though...

I'm glad Garth found a way to do things that satisfies all his 'prerequisites' for doing online business. The protests against apple are largely hot air... ways to work things out and benefit all sides have been shown/talked about.. simple enough..

***steps off soapbox***
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Other than banging my head against the wall a bit with a "I think he should do like <insert artist here> does.." comment... (no offense UK.. ) I think you have a great point, and honestly you point out another alternative/poss. for Garth to do things Digitally- Garth's comments about supporting the songwriters, etc.. are a bunch of crap.. IMO... There are ways to support them.. The lines about physical sales? also crap... True- Garth gets that with amazon, etc. and that's great.. I don't dispute that (and heck, I'm going to get all my garth music in a physical AND digital format if all possible, because I like the physical CD in a collection along with the clear quality digital format..

It's simple enough. Garth was pig headed and wanted things done HIS way.. I get a feeling he wanted to play the game only on his terms, and Apple wouldn't cow to him the way that Amazon did. Apple's bigger than "Garth Brooks" on a whole.... They would LOVE to have him on their service... They don't NEED him on their service though...

I'm glad Garth found a way to do things that satisfies all his 'prerequisites' for doing online business. The protests against apple are largely hot air... ways to work things out and benefit all sides have been shown/talked about.. simple enough..

***steps off soapbox***
    I believe you're correct with this on many levels. I feel Garth's issues with digital downloads are due to RIAA certifications more than "album cuts" and songwriters, IMO. I also think he didn't want to give Apple their 70% (I believe), but who would? Most artists HAVE to be on iTunes, so they cave to their terms. Garth and Apple really don't need each other, but it does show you how both want to control their platforms, which I get and support.

+ Reply to Thread