+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is Garth Brooks blocking Shania Twain from selling Nashville concert tickets?

Is Garth Brooks blocking Shania Twain from selling Nashville concert tickets?

I cant see the benefit for Garth in Blocking Shania selling tickets to her show in June/July next year???

Seems a strange connection.

I agree, I think if Garth were to use Nashville as a final tour stop, I'd imagine he'd try and make it into a December thing and find a way to where Hockey won't come into play

Yeah, this seems completely unbelievable. Not because it wouldn't happen (I totally could see the arena and Garth doing thing) but because it makes NO SENSE whatsoever to block ticket sales for all of 2018 just for his shows this December. There would be no conflict at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sevens View Post
    Yeah, this seems completely unbelievable. Not because it wouldn't happen (I totally could see the arena and Garth doing thing) but because it makes NO SENSE whatsoever to block ticket sales for all of 2018 just for his shows this December. There would be no conflict at all.
    The original article appears in Billboard. May not make sense to you, but I'd almost guarantee it's true. Billboard doesn't usually go around reporting unsubstantiated rumors.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    It sounds a bit to me like a case of sour grapes, and trying to be controversial/perhaps stir up some publicity for Shania..

It's not an issue with Garth, (or shouldn't be), it's an issue with the building/venue. They have a contract in place (done before Shania announced anything) with Garth apparently. ok. if the contract states something to the effect of no sales before dec. 1, etc.. then that's the way it should end up being.

Then... Look at the sources.. SHANIA'S Manager.. SHANIA'S tour promoter (live nation)...

Garth probably does have dates blocked out.. for december... in nashville.. IF she's coming to Nashville in Summer of 2018... there's no conflict .. so she loses perhaps a couple months of pre sale time... promote it as "tickets will go on sale Dec 2 (or whenever the dates are outside the contract that garth's people signed first...) she loses nothing really...

It's an attempt to cause controversy/promotion... or an attempt to try and drive the dates of nashville shows out of garth's camp and into the public...

OR.. this is a promotion piece by the writer- regardless. it's not a garth issue or at least it shouldn't be...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Honestly - this type of clause is in many contracts. You create a window of time and mileage of exclusivity.

Exactly

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I completely agree that this is some weird spin from Team Shania to drum up publicity. She seems to be the only artist who cares

Considering that I've never heard any other artist complain about this I would tend to agree with what is being said above. Shania got a ton of press this past week. There was a new single dropped, the announcement of the tour, etc. I think she even appeared on a few major TV networks. The reality is they are wanting to capitalize on that buzz and sell tickets for this tour NOW especially since her recent singles have been non-existent on the radio. This clause in the contract with Garth blocks that for Nashville. I don't think there is a big deal here at all. It's just Shania's team can't work the Nashville date the way they wanted and they are trying to make an issue out of it. Don't think there is an issue here at all or that Garth's team did anything shady. This stuff is pretty standard the average fan just doesn't normally hear about it.

It doesn't sound like an issue of conflicting concert dates, but rather conflicting on-sale dates.

In other words, it seems Garth negotiated a clause that doesn't allow the venue to sell any tickets to other country artists before Dec 1 so that Garth doesn't have to compete against anyone else for Nashville's concert-going dollars. If that's the case, then whatever, but it seems like a rather greedy and shady move to me. Especially since Garth absolutely REFUSES to say exactly when he'll be in Nashville, or when he'll announce his dates in Nashville, or even when the tickets will go on sale. So while he plays his little "every city is special" game, he's hosing every other artist out there for the next 5 months just to make sure that everyone's concert-going dollars go to him when he finally does announce his stint in Nashville.

Sorry folks, but I'm with Shania's folks on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    It doesn't sound like an issue of conflicting concert dates, but rather conflicting on-sale dates.

In other words, it seems Garth negotiated a clause that doesn't allow the venue to sell any tickets to other country artists before Dec 1 so that Garth doesn't have to compete against anyone else for Nashville's concert-going dollars. If that's the case, then whatever, but it seems like a rather greedy and shady move to me. Especially since Garth absolutely REFUSES to say exactly when he'll be in Nashville, or when he'll announce his dates in Nashville, or even when the tickets will go on sale. So while he plays his little "every city is special" game, he's hosing every other artist out there for the next 5 months just to make sure that everyone's concert-going dollars go to him when he finally does announce his stint in Nashville.

Sorry folks, but I'm with Shania's folks on this one.
    Honestly, you are probably 100% right. Where I'd disagree is it being shady. It's pretty commonplace for there to be "exclusivity" deals of all different kinds. Living in Nashville I know that Bonnaroo will not allow any of their major acts to play within a certain radius for a certain period of time so I'm not surprised by this. If the venue doesn't want to agree with that request I'm sure they don't have to. It may mean he may not play there, but I'm sure no one held a gun to their head and forced them to sign the contract with that stipulation.

On the flip side, I can understand where Shania's people are coming from. I think it is an instance of both acts trying to maximize ticket sales.

Im guessing sales of other artists, wont effect Garth's concert sales in December? I mean how many tickets does he expect to sell??

I know hes a number guy, perhaps he wants Nashville to be the city that takes him to the 6 Million mark.

But how many tickets would he sell In Nashville, how many shows could he do, 7-8 tops??? 100 thousand tickets??

It may be a common practice. I'm not sure. But IMO it still reeks of pure greed to block out all other artists for half a year (or more?) from being able to sell a single ticket just so Garth can do his little only-announce-the-show-6-weeks-before-the-show thing he likes to do and claim a monopoly on the market. Btw, if the Nashville shows are in December, then by Garth's normal schedule that means he won't announce them until mid October and tickets won't go on sale until late October---which is 2 whole months away.

Is he really sooooo scared that if someone buys a Shania ticket in August, he won't get that fan's $80 when he finally gets around to announcing his December shows in October? Really??

Like I said. It may be a common practice, and even if the venue agreed to it, it still seems like a bit of a &#%! move to me.

It may be a common practice. I'm not sure. But IMO it still reeks of pure greed to block out all other artists for half a year (or more?) from being able to sell a single ticket just so Garth can do his little only-announce-the-show-6-weeks-before-the-show thing he likes to do and claim a monopoly on the market
    I don't think Garth's claiming a monopoly on the market at all.. it was an agreement (albeit it a shrewd one) with the venue. If it's a common practice too, as you said as well, it may be the one time Garth's "doing what other artists are doing"..

I think the only indictment is on garth's announcing of concerts.. We've complained about that for a while though.. I've gotten used to it.. blame people like scalpers and companies who have tried to ruin getting tickets to shows by snatching them all up.

. Btw, if the Nashville shows are in December, then by Garth's normal schedule that means he won't announce them until mid October and tickets won't go on sale until late October---which is 2 whole months away.
    that sounds like normal to his way of doing things

Is he really sooooo scared that if someone buys a Shania ticket in August, he won't get that fan's $80 when he finally gets around to announcing his December shows in October? Really??

Like I said. It may be a common practice, and even if the venue agreed to it, it still seems like a bit of a &#%! move to me.
    I don't think it's a &#%! move at all... its' a common practice.. agreed to by the venue. thats not a Garth problem.. Garth's not scared of anything I believe, when it comes to the ticket selling.

Like I said in an earlier post- I think you have to look at the source of the 'issue'.. words/complaints are coming from SHANIA's manager and SHANIA's tour promoter.. does the Nashville Arena have a different ticket agent/company than SHANIA does? (for example I know that the Shania twain show in Denver will be handled by AXS tickets... The pepsi center does their own ticketing really.. )

On a side note- Shania tickets at her show in denver will be $69.95-$149.95.... the CHEAP ticket will be the price roughly of a Garth ticket... Shania will not be hurting for anything ticket wise- she's not losing anything by one venue having this type of ticketing situation/blocking things out for an artist.. (and he's not preventing her selling tickets at all. simply not during THAT time frame (until Dec. 1..)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Do we know for a fact that this a common practice, or are we just speculating? Do other artists in fact do this? and if so, do they commonly block other artists from selling tickets for half a year before their shows? So far I haven't heard anyone say that they know for an absolute fact that this is common, rather I've only heard speculation that it might be common based on the exclusivity agreements that some other shows supposedly negotiate.

And yes, it does seems that the venue "agreed" to this. But it was Garth who asked for the condition/clause in the first place. So IMO that is a Garth issue. The venue probably only went along with it because Garth is Garth and likely strong-armed them into agreeing to it. Again, some say shrewd, I say greedy. But maybe that's just me.

And yes, I get that the only folks raising a stink at the moment are Shania's people. I guess what I'm saying is that I think they may have a point and that I think their complaint is valid. But hey, the "venue" agreed to Garth's half-year ticket block demand, so I guess it's all okay.
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 08-20-2017 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    On a side note- Shania tickets at her show in denver will be $69.95-$149.95.... the CHEAP ticket will be the price roughly of a Garth ticket... Shania will not be hurting for anything ticket wise- she's not losing anything by one venue having this type of ticketing situation/blocking things out for an artist.. (and he's not preventing her selling tickets at all. simply not during THAT time frame (until Dec. 1..)
    Yes, but do you think folks will still be able and/or willing to pay that much during the height of the Christmas season, and then after they'd already spent several hundred on seeing 1-2 of Garth's shows just 6 weeks prior? You say making people wait until December won't hurt her Nashville sales at all, but I can see this actually really hurting her. But maybe that's just me.
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 08-20-2017 at 12:57 AM.

Do we know for a fact that this a common practice, or are we just speculating? Do other artists in fact do this? and if so, do they commonly block other artists from selling tickets for half a year before their shows? So far I haven't heard anyone say that they know for a an absolute fact that this is common, rather I've only heard speculation that it might be common based on the exclusivity agreements that some other shows supposedly negotiate.
    well, you are the one who said "it may be a common practice".. do we know? don't know for certain- but acc. to the article, Billboard says it's been done in the past.. So that would lend thought to the idea of it being at least somewhat common

And yes, it does seems that the venue "agreed" to this. But it was Garth who asked for the condition/clause in the first place. So IMO that is a Garth issue. The venue probably only went along with it because Garth is Garth and likely strong-armed them into agreeing to it. Again, some say shrewd, I say greedy. But maybe that's just me.
    that's fine.. Personally? I think you're wrong. it's not a Garth thing.. it's a SHANIA thing, and a venue thing. but both your opinion and mine are opinions ... so no harm no foul

And yes, I get that the only folks raising a stink at the moment are Shania's people. I guess what I'm saying is that I think they may have a point and that I think their complaint is valid. But hey, the "venue" agreed to Garth's half-year ticket block demand, so I guess it's all okay.
    it's all ok certainly.. and "at the moment" is kinda subjective based on one article ,where it's clearly shania's people w/ the "beef".. there are surely some ticked off shania fans too, but heck.. it's ONE concert... and she's not losing anything other than a bit of selling time for ONE concert... I don't have much sympathy here for her.. if she even knows about it that is, and it's not simply a whining situation by her manager and promoter (who stand to make a lot of $ I'd wager)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Yes, but do you think folks will still be able and/or willing to pay that much during the height of the Christmas season, and then after they'd already spent several hundred on seeing 1-2 of Garth's shows just 6 weeks prior? You say making people wait until December won't hurt her Nashville sales at all, but I can see this actually really hurting her. But maybe that's just me.
    I think it's just you, yeah.. I doubt highly that it'll do that much damage.. it's one show.. if it's that important that a fan see her at that point of the tour, go to the show in louisville,ky where tickets are going on sale at the normal time- it's a simple 2h 37m drive from nashville acc. to google.. IF it's that vital that she bee seen then.. It's a complaint by her people about things nothing more

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Well, there are multiple country concerts at Bridgestone Arena between now and December. So I'm not sure where the "half a year" number came from. None of them seem to be blocked from selling tickets either. So all I'm seeing is Team Shania airing these public complaints without evidence to back it up. Meanwhile, other country acts are playing Nashville this Fall just fine. 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sevens View Post
    Well, there are multiple country concerts at Bridgestone Arena between now and December. So I'm not sure where the "half a year" number came from. None of them seem to be blocked from selling tickets either. So all I'm seeing is Team Shania airing these public complaints without evidence to back it up. Meanwhile, other country acts are playing Nashville this Fall just fine. 🤔
    good point!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Since the 6 month time span keeps coming up, just thought I would clarify something. It's my understanding there is a window around Garth's on-sale of a few weeks (might be 4-6), where they are not supposed to promote or put on-sale other country shows in the same area. It has nothing to do with when Shania's actual shows are, just when she wants to put the tix on sale. She probably could have scheduled the on-sale prior to that window starting if she really wanted.
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

She probably could have scheduled the on-sale prior to that window starting if she really wanted.
    that's also true

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread