+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anthology

Anthology

Garth just revealed at his OKC press conference that the anthology comes out this year. He said it runs through the first five albums. That's all he said about it.

The Beatles Anthology was a television documentary. I hope his is the same! That'd be an awesome thing to watch if done right.

You beat me to it! Also mentioned that they'll stop in January and decide where to go from there. He also mentioned they're exhausted. Just based on his wording I don't think there will be an overseas portion of the tour for awhile. What brought up Anthology was a reporter handed him a photo of he and his mom from Dallas.

Could someone please explain what that means? Is he going to reissue the first 5 albums?

No other details were given.

Quote Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
    Could someone please explain what that means? Is he going to reissue the first 5 albums?
    It sounds like this is the demo project. If it's like the Beatles' Anthology (which came in video and CD iterations), then it'll be early versions of the songs from the first five albums and maybe a few other demos of songs that didn't make the albums.

Too bad that it'll only cover the first 5 albums, but it could still be cool.

I think this will cover Garth Brooks-In Pieces, which would then leave room for a future Anthology 2. I think this will be a huge set with not only the demos but also the original albums which will boost his sales numbers for albums like the chase that are close to diamond.

That sounds cool. I wonder if it would be 10 cds or 7 or 8 with DVD? That would really help his numbers. I wish he would just release his figures since most haven't been updated since 2006 and some 1998. Plus I am curious how CT/GS Wal Mart Bundle will be counted. Plus CT wasn't certified so how many copies were sold? And with bundle, how many copies of GS were sold. Plus how many copies of the digital bundle was sold during the two years or so it was promoted? So many questions. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by copinark View Post
    You beat me to it! Also mentioned that they'll stop in January and decide where to go from there. He also mentioned they're exhausted. Just based on his wording I don't think there will be an overseas portion of the tour for awhile. What brought up Anthology was a reporter handed him a photo of he and his mom from Dallas.
    Countdown to the end of the tour my ass. He has no plans to finish up at all. Didn't he say he was going to finish up in December before? Now it's January? Nashville last stop. Stop giving us mixed messages Garth. I'm saving my holidays from work for the end of the year to see him in Nashville. I won't be able to take them next January, the days don't carry over from this year. I wish he would stop this bill ****ting and allow us to have some kind of a plan and just announce the cities and be done with it. I like Garth but not this carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fever View Post
    Countdown to the end of the tour my ass. He has no plans to finish up at all. Didn't he say he was going to finish up in December before? Now it's January? Nashville last stop. Stop giving us mixed messages Garth. I'm saving my holidays from work for the end of the year to see him in Nashville. I won't be able to take them next January, the days don't carry over from this year. I wish he would stop this bill ****ting and allow us to have some kind of a plan and just announce the cities and be done with it. I like Garth but not this carry on.
    Sheesh.

January works better for me than December for me for Nashville!

Maybe Tampa might actually get some makeup dates after all.

I'm wondering if there is some unnecessary freaking out going on. Did Garth actually say tour now ends in January or did he just simply imply they would stop and take some time in January to figure out next move? Those are two totally different things. I didn't see video, but that is how I took comments above. January would be a time to stop and evaluate, not that the tour stops then.

I'm not sure where you heard that they would stop in January. He said in the OKC press conference (and has mentioned it in previous press conferences and interviews) that they are counting down to the end of the North American leg of the tour. What he said in the most recent PC was that they would be done in December with the North American leg of the tour. They talked toward the end of the press conference about taking a nap in January and thinking about what is next in store. He did say that he didn't think they would tour again at this level (approaching the 400th show in three years), but he said never say never.

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    I'm not sure where you heard that they would stop in January. He said in the OKC press conference (and has mentioned it in previous press conferences and interviews) that they are counting down to the end of the North American leg of the tour. What he said in the most recent PC was that they would be done in December with the North American leg of the tour. They talked toward the end of the press conference about taking a nap in January and thinking about what is next in store. He did say that he didn't think they would tour again at this level (approaching the 400th show in three years), but he said never say never.

Paula
    Sorry, don't think I was clear. We are on same page. Ha!

I was commenting that some think he somehow alluded to ending NA tour in January. I got from it that they were just taking a break in January like you did and NA tour still ends before end of year.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    this is just a thought (and not directed at anyone on particular) but.....is it possible (undoubtedly) that in the rush to either have the most exciting time, or the best information, or the most relevant information, etc.. that some are taking their predicting and expecting to unhealthy levels? reading their own desires into what Garth has said (or not said).. trying to impress their own wishes into Garth's words....

in short.. guessing wrong and then blaming Garth or other things for their error?

just a thought... maybe we should just let it be?
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    this is just a thought (and not directed at anyone on particular) but.....is it possible (undoubtedly) that in the rush to either have the most exciting time, or the best information, or the most relevant information, etc.. that some are taking their predicting and expecting to unhealthy levels? reading their own desires into what Garth has said (or not said).. trying to impress their own wishes into Garth's words....

in short.. guessing wrong and then blaming Garth or other things for their error?

I think that is exactly what happens sometimes.

Honestly, I can say that I have been guilty of this exact thing when it comes to the "announcements". In my defense, I do think announcements are sometimes overhyped thus getting me really excited and then it ends up being basically nothing HA! Still it is my fault for getting so psyched.

So, getting this thread back on track.

I am VERY EXCITED about this Anthology project. I don't really care what it is, I think this idea is fabulous. The Beatles did this back in the mid-90s and it was great to hear alternate versions, etc. I don't expect this to be as comprehensive as what the Beatles did at all. I just like the idea.

For some reasons, I have no expectations I just want to see what it is and as long as we have some "new" (meaning unheard) stuff I think I will be very pleased with what's coming.

Well said!! I definitely think we overhype stuff sometimes. But at the same time Garth sorta invites that with his practice of making announcements-of-future-announcements.

If he would just announce stuff when it's ready to announce, people wouldn't speculate so much. For example, when he announced the BIAOMR set, he simply announced it and then it was out 10 days later. There was no disappointment because nobody had any time to build up any unrealistic expectations about it.

I wonder if Tanya Tucker's post from awhile back was filming a segment for Anthology.

I do hope there is some Doco type stuff on the thing. That would be brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    Sorry, don't think I was clear. We are on same page. Ha!

I was commenting that some think he somehow alluded to ending NA tour in January. I got from it that they were just taking a break in January like you did and NA tour still ends before end of year.
    Sorry as well...I didn't make it clear that I was responding to an earlier post and not your post. I need to remember to include the post to which I am responding.

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    I do hope there is some Doco type stuff on the thing. That would be brilliant.
    doco? as in documentary type stuff? that'd be a great thing, certainly... anything rarer, or unreleased, alt takes, demos, etc. will be a blast

Just wish he'd release a songbook (as he has for all other albums) for Gunslinger

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I hope a documentary airs on something like HBO or one of the major networks, but I get the feeling if there is a documentary, it'll be on Amazon Prime.

Pure speculation...

I think the Live Album could be part of the Anthology. Which could include each song 3 different ways...
    • Demo - Songwriting
    • Album Cut
    • Live

This whole Anthology project is fascinating to me. This has the potential to be amazing (or disappointing) depending on what is in it. The Beatles Anthology was amazing. For those that may not know, they released three 2-disc sets that featured outtakes, demos, alternate versions of songs, live tracks, etc. that spanned entire career in chronological order. They also released a 10 hour documentary covering their entire career.

While I don't realistically expect Garth to take it that far I have wondered if this is set #1 of 2. This only covers first 5 albums. There are 5 other studio albums not represented.

What I realistically expect is this will be a box set with all 5 of the first albums included. I hope there are multiple discs in the box that contain demos, outtakes, alternate versions, etc.

I also wonder if the live album will be in the box or not. If it is you could easily have a 10 disc box featuring first 5 albums, a 3 disc live album (Triple Live) and 2 Anthology discs. Personally I hope these are separate projects but I've got a gut feeling it will all be boxed up.

He already has a box set of the original 5, it's unlikely they will be included as they were originally released, with just the 10 songs on it. With sales of physical CDs down, each disc has to be special, how ever they end up packaging it.

It might however go by album, but include 15-20 songs per release, like No Fences might have 20 outtakes etc, I hardly think it would include the 10 studio songs on it...

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    This whole Anthology project is fascinating to me. This has the potential to be amazing (or disappointing) depending on what is in it. The Beatles Anthology was amazing. For those that may not know, they released three 2-disc sets that featured outtakes, demos, alternate versions of songs, live tracks, etc. that spanned entire career in chronological order. They also released a 10 hour documentary covering their entire career.

While I don't realistically expect Garth to take it that far I have wondered if this is set #1 of 2. This only covers first 5 albums. There are 5 other studio albums not represented.

What I realistically expect is this will be a box set with all 5 of the first albums included. I hope there are multiple discs in the box that contain demos, outtakes, alternate versions, etc.

I also wonder if the live album will be in the box or not. If it is you could easily have a 10 disc box featuring first 5 albums, a 3 disc live album (Triple Live) and 2 Anthology discs. Personally I hope these are separate projects but I've got a gut feeling it will all be boxed up.
    If it's anything like the Beatles Anthology, it would blow my mind, I mean seriously, can you imagine it.
    I thin k it may be a bit too much to hope for. I think its going to be special, its not just going to be a reissue
    of his first five albums with a fancy booklet.

So somewhere in between. I am hoping for maybe some outtakes and maybe an interview or two, (doesnt matter if its written in the booklet or a video clip) about each album, that I havent seen/read before.

Im guessing Garth will knock this one out of the park, an Anthology is going to be more special than just a normal boxset.

Garth did say it the anthology will cover the first five album, so perhaps he doesnt mean that it will have the first five albums in it.
    Last edited by Brett Dale; 07-21-2017 at 06:34 PM.

not gonna get my hopes up for anything really.. we hope and hype, and then the hype doesn't meet the hope.. Gonna be first in line (in my area) to buy it, or order it online, etc.. but w/o more news? (we have what, 1 mention in an interview/PC?) ehh- will reserve expectations... (after thinking about it...)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    He already has a box set of the original 5, it's unlikely they will be included as they were originally released, with just the 10 songs on it. With sales of physical CDs down, each disc has to be special, how ever they end up packaging it.

It might however go by album, but include 15-20 songs per release, like No Fences might have 20 outtakes etc, I hardly think it would include the 10 studio songs on it...
    I understand what you are saying, but I think it is highly likely he releases those original 5 albums to us in this Anthology set. There are 2 reasons I think this. #1 - The Limited Series featuring the first 6 albums was released 19 years ago. There are college students who were not even born when that box came out. #2 - We know that the Diamond certifications have now become a new goal, along with overall sales. Both The Chase and In Pieces are fairly close at 9 and 8 times platinum respectively. A box featuring The Chase would absolutely get it to the 10 million number and would at least get In Pieces to 9 million.

Like you, I think it is possible that those albums have bonus tracks, but I also think it possible the bonus tracks are on extra discs to increase overall album count.

Just to be clear, this is nothing but fun speculation and not what I'm wishing for. I personally would love something more like what The Beatles did or a box set full of unreleased tracks, demos, etc.

Who knows what we get. I think at the end of the day this has the potential to be a pretty good release even if we get a lot of rehashed stuff or several old albums included. I've learned that no one really knows what Garth is thinking other than him and his team of people so to keep from being too disappointed you just have to kick back and appreciate what you get.

I'm just hoping we get enough unreleased material to make it worth a purchase if it is in a box set form. If it wasn't for the new album being included the last box had very little for the hardcore fan (the cover of "1982" was about it). I think this release may potentially be more like the Blame It All On My Roots box where we got 4 albums of unreleased music and a DVD of a full Vegas show.

I agree that the first five cds will probably be included. I think with the lack of record stores and how hard it is to find his catalog cds except on places like Amazon, he will get those cds out to people who haven't bought them or can't find them. And like I have said before, 300 million people don't own a Garth CD. Lots of potential there. I think that is why TUH is still selling so well. Still in the top 40 after 10 years. And with the boxed sets selling, even though not at a record clip, the price is still great for even one or two new cds in the mix. $20/30 bucks or so for five original cds and extra cds is still a bargain. Until recently, the cost of some Garth cds is crazy on Amazon. Maybe the anthology set will include the boxed set versions of the first five cds. And I also agree on getting The Chase and In Pieces closer to Diamond status is a goal. Add to it the time frame of no certifications of catalog stuff hasn't happened in awhile. You have the digital bundle, the 25th anniversary The Chase, Gunslinger and Christmas Together, etc. Who knows how many cds he has sold since 2006. Plus Garth is releasing the music on Pearl Records now. He is running out the past product that was released by other companies he was working with. He gets the money on Pearl Records, no middle man. Selling a bunch of cds with the Pearl Records label will give him something to crow about. I am sure he will ship a million copies of the anthology. I am wondering if he will release an anthology bundle of the Xmas cds to help boost Christmas Together to help bump its numbers so Trisha could add to her million sellers. As mentioned above, this is just fun speculation on my part.

+ Reply to Thread