+ Reply to Thread

Thread: *SPOILER ALERT* - Reviews for Oklahoma City Shows

*SPOILER ALERT* - Reviews for Oklahoma City Shows

Post your reviews and experiences from the Oklahoma City shows here.

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

I have an extra ticket for the late show tonight! Section 114, row q, seat 1 (an aisle). Anyone interested? No markup, of course!

The late show Friday night was the most incredible show I've ever been to. The show started just after midnight and he played until 3. He was in the zone and the crowd followed suit.

Encores:
    When You Come Back to Me Again
    In Lonesome Dove
    Wrapped Up In You
    THEN a woman had a sign that said "my husband is a musician because of you". He asked the man, Jonathan what he plays and invited him to come up on stage!! John came down from his seat and Garth had the crew set him up a mic and guitar then offered him to play whatever he wanted. The guy played a really nice original song then joined Garth singing Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off. After that Garth gifted him the guitar he lended him. It was a really special moment.

After John:
    Don't Close Your Eyes
    Amarillo by Morning
    Much Too Young
    More Than a Memory
    Standing Outside the Fire

I'll add, Trisha sounded great as always, but she sang Wrong Side of Memphis tonight and it blew me away! Her and the "Wall of Sound" specifically Vicky were phenomenal!

In the USA, the best country in the world
    What was the rest of the set list- normal?
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    What was the rest of the set list- normal?
    Trisha played Wrong Side of Memphis (a sign request). It was the greatest of my 30 (32 after today) shows, including Kansas City.

But the rest of the man setlist?

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

But the rest of the man setlist?
    It was the same.

that's kinda disappointing... great housekeeping segment sounds like but the rest ? argh..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

that's kinda disappointing... great housekeeping segment sounds like but the rest ? argh..
    I think we are seeing the results of the Wynn shows. I still love every show, but I get your frustration. I loved the first Wynn shows I saw, the first New Years weekend of the run, but by the time I went back that August, the show was almost exactly what came put on the special a few years later. Incredible for those who aren't a little crazy like us, but we could use a little more variance.

One thing I could listen to every show, though, is Jimmy on Amarillo By Morning for those last bars after Garth drops out. That man makes his violin sing like nothing else (and I know some VERY good violinists).

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlpadacas View Post
    One thing I could listen to every show, though, is Jimmy on Amarillo By Morning for those last bars after Garth drops out. That man makes his violin sing like nothing else (and I know some VERY good violinists).
    yeah, didn't get the amarillo by morning 'treatment' when Garth came through Denver

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I love hearing them do Amarillo together!

Thanks for the reviews!

In response to some of the comments about the set list here and in other threads, as much as the zealous fans who go to multiple shows would like the set list to change from show to show, there are other fans who may only go to one show and want to hear the hits they know. Garth takes care of his zealous fans by doing housekeeping, which is my favorite part of the show (and I know I'm not alone with this being the favorite part of the show).

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Thanks for the reviews!

In response to some of the comments about the set list here and in other threads, as much as the zealous fans who go to multiple shows would like the set list to change from show to show, there are other fans who may only go to one show and want to hear the hits they know. Garth takes care of his zealous fans by doing housekeeping, which is my favorite part of the show (and I know I'm not alone with this being the favorite part of the show).

Paula
    Good point paula, though I will say that I've heard Garth mention the song list changing every night ,etc.. if set lists being posted be people/reports of shows etc can be believed/verified, etc.. then he's lying to an extent.... though to quote obi wan (loosely), it's possible that what he's saying 'is true....... from a certain point of view..."

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

The housekeeping part is fine, but it ends up being under a 1 minute snippet, and I've seen several shows, so I know that there are a few songs which pop up regularly in the housekeeping section, so even that has it's regularity to an extent.

When you have a 2 hour show, and 1 3/4 hours of it is the same each night, it does not really equate to a changing song list. If he wants to fit in all the songs he considers his "core," night after night, there is not room for much difference between shows. That includes his stage antics, which personally, I could do without if it meant a 4 minute rarity being played.

Awesome 3:00 show. Crowd was the loudest I've heard since Little Rock. Standard set list including a great performance of Ask Me How I know. Mitch Rossel opened and debuted a great new song. Encores stuck primarily to the country influences:

I told you so
    Digging up bones
    Amarillo by morning
    Don't close your eyes
    Golden Rings (Duet with Trisha)
    Whiskey to wine (so much better live)
    Walk away joe
    Wrapped up in you
    Much too young
    Standing outside the fire

Trisha also did a rare song during her set. Drawing a blank now but it was something to do with fields.

Overall a fantastic show as usual. I just got word that someone proposed during unanswered prayers at the 7:00 show. Garth offered to pay for honeymoon trip to Hawaii.

Quote Originally Posted by copinark View Post
    Overall a fantastic show as usual. I just got word that someone proposed during unanswered prayers at the 7:00 show. Garth offered to pay for honeymoon trip to Hawaii.
    Yeah, Garth stopped mid song to speak to the couple. I'd expect to see that video go viral. Garth's team should get it out asap!

The 7:30 show on Saturday night was the loudest show I've ever heard. We went from the best show I've ever seen on Friday 10:30 to the loudest tonight. What a weekend!

The order of this may be wrong, but I believe the encores were:
    In Lonesome Dove
    Wrapped Up In You
    Fit For a King
    Amarillo by Morning
    Forever and Ever Amen
    Fightin Side of Me (Haggard)
    Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off
    Walkaway Joe w Trisha
    Golden Rings w Trisha
    Whiskey to Wine w Trisha
    Much Too Young
    Standing Outside the Fire

Small correction. Jonathon did an excellent cover of "Empty Glass" which was a Gary Stewart original and most recently covered by Red dirt guys Stoney Larue and Randy Rogers Band.

Quote Originally Posted by Inman View Post
    Small correction. Jonathon did an excellent cover of "Empty Glass" which was a Gary Stewart original and most recently covered by Red dirt guys Stoney Larue and Randy Rogers Band.
    Ah I had never heard that before. Thanks for pointing it out!

Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    Yeah, Garth stopped mid song to speak to the couple. I'd expect to see that video go viral. Garth's team should get it out asap!
    They just featured that story on the news in DFW since the couple was from here.

I believe the Randy Travis song Garth covered was Three Wooden Crosses (also as a tribute to Kim Williams)

Quote Originally Posted by mbarker View Post
    I believe the Randy Travis song Garth covered was Three Wooden Crosses (also as a tribute to Kim Williams)
    Awesome song (2003 ACM song of the year).. would love to hear Garth's cover..

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread