+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Special edition of studio g on Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by The Fever View Post
    That was cool to watch. But is that it?
    Super cool, but really? Why hype it up all week? Just surprise everyone with a studio G from mission control. I guess we all expect bigger announcements than we should.

Just woke up. Not on facebook. He sang a song for iss? awesome. Has he got to the annoucement part yet?

In bed on cell dont have facebook app on phone.

This board is so bad about overhyping expectations.

Garth Brooks just had a conversation with and sang to astronauts aboard the International Space Station. Was that not enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    Just woke up. Not on facebook. He sang a song for iss? awesome. Has he got to the annoucement part yet?
    There is no announcement. It was 15 minutes long talking to astronauts and he pulled out his guitar and sang them part of the river. Go back bed Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sevens View Post
    This board is so bad about overhyping expectations.

Garth Brooks just had a conversation with and sang to astronauts aboard the International Space Station. Was that not enough?
    It's not this board that does the overhyping. It was made out that this was something big and it was super cool for Garth to take us along on his trip to NASA. But what exactly made this episode all about the music?

I know that was super cool for Garth, Trisha, the NASA crew, astronauts on ISS and their families, but I feel like that was totally unnecessary to hype up as a big announcement and special Facebook live. As I told a friend yesterday, hype is great when the announcement/event lives up to the hype. When it doesn't it just leaves people disappointed.

I know other artists have called the ISS. Paul McCartney even had a clip of that in his shows a few years ago so the whole "I'm not sure anyone has ever done this" bit is annoying.

For those of us who try to stay objective and not fawn over every word Garth says, this is why we get frustrated. We get led into believing the hype and then the hype often doesn't measure up.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I know that was super cool for Garth, Trisha, the NASA crew, astronauts on ISS and their families, but I feel like that was totally unnecessary to hype up as a big announcement and special Facebook live. As I told a friend yesterday, hype is great when the announcement/event lives up to the hype. When it doesn't it just leaves people disappointed.

I know other artists have called the ISS. Paul McCartney even had a clip of that in his shows a few years ago so the whole "I'm not sure anyone has ever done this" bit is annoying.

For those of us who try to stay objective and not fawn over every word Garth says, this is why we get frustrated. We get led into believing the hype and then the hype often doesn't measure up.
    When does the hype ever measure up?

Great thing he did. If it came out of the blue. I woulsve been blown away. Heres the thing though. It was a performance not an annoucement.

Oh btw its been done before. Still very very cool thing garth did. Just promoted it wrong before hand. What did he sing btw.

It's not this board that does the overhyping. It was made out that this was something big and it was super cool for Garth to take us along on his trip to NASA. But what exactly made this episode all about the music?
    Disagree. It was this board that started speculating about eclipse concerts, a concert recorded from space and more. None of that came from Garth. I just went back and watched the...maybe 3 minutes that Garth spent talking about it. They said the "announcement" would be made before Thursday. It's obvious now the announcement was a FB live from Mission Control that was posted yesterday.

Garth also said no one else on Earth has done this. From as far as I can tell...no one has performed live for astronauts from Mission Control before. At least, I couldn't find anything about anyone else doing it. I stand that many times, this board is its own worst enemy when it comes to setting itself up for disappointment.

Oh btw its been done before. Still very very cool thing garth did. Just promoted it wrong before hand. What did he sing btw.
    Who has done it before? I ask because I couldn't find anything about a performer singing live for astronauts aboard the space station.

I see the email, Facebook posts, and Twitter posts... I don't see anywhere that is said this was an announcement...simply a special edition of StudioG... which was so very cool to see something like that as it happened.

Disagree. It was this board that started speculating about eclipse concerts, a concert recorded from space and more. None of that came from Garth. I just went back and watched the...maybe 3 minutes that Garth spent talking about it. They said the "announcement" would be made before Thursday. It's obvious now the announcement was a FB live from Mission Control that was posted yesterday.

Garth also said no one else on Earth has done this. From as far as I can tell...no one has performed live for astronauts from Mission Control before. At least, I couldn't find anything about anyone else doing it. I stand that many times, this board is its own worst enemy when it comes to setting itself up for disappointment.
    Perfectly said.... I so agree.

When does the hype ever measure up?
    I think it does sometimes. Here are a few since retirement:

1. The Vegas announcement - Even though I didn't get to go to Vegas the Vegas show was one of the neatest, most ambitious things I think he has ever done. Lived up to the hype and more.

2. Blame It All On My Roots box - We got 4 CDs of "new" Garth music (yes, I know they were covers) and a DVD of a full Vegas show. Best box he has released because it had the most "new" material we've ever seen in a box from him.

3. Atlanta show - I recognize some might be disappointed, but I thought the announcement for the stadium show in Atlanta, especially since he said it was being filmed, absolutely lives up to the hype. HUGE event and worthy of the big announcement.

Where I get frustrated is the tease of an announcement or something big and we hear nothing (which has happened multiple times since coming out of retirement) or we get something like today that is neat, but doesn't seem like something worthy of causing us all to stop and pay attention.

Oh paul mccartney spoke and didnt sing? sorry my bad.

I both agree and disagree. Yes, the board does a lot of hyping and starts running wild when something is said. I'm not sure that is always bad. Isn't that what fans do? We get excited and I think that is a good thing. If we don't talk about it who will. Goodness knows the general country music world out there doesn't care what Garth does.

Let's be real though, Garth intentionally overhypes things. Garth said "no one else on Earth has done this". ISS gets calls from celebrities sometimes. As I said, Paul McCartney had a bit in his concert where he talked to the crew a few years ago. Sure, maybe no one has ever played them a verse and a chorus from a song, but is that worthy of a "No one on this Earth, or out of this Earth, has ever done this" comment? If that isn't hype I don't know what is.

We had a special Facebook live with special graphics at a special time and were told no one had ever done this on this Earth or out of this Earth. Sounds like hyping up for something big to me.

I don't know, I guess I'm not a "real" Garth fan since I don't just automatically celebrate everything he does. I'm just one who tries to be objective and I think often he makes big deals out of nothing. It happens way too often for me to think that those of us who get disappointed are the problem.

Oh paul mccartney spoke and didnt sing? sorry my bad.
    McCartney was already doing a concert, so they just watched the stream on the station.
    https://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/200...ey_wakeup.html

Not as much of a personal performance from NASA.

I think it does sometimes. Here are a few since retirement:

1. The Vegas announcement - Even though I didn't get to go to Vegas the Vegas show was one of the neatest, most ambitious things I think he has ever done. Lived up to the hype and more.

2. Blame It All On My Roots box - We got 4 CDs of "new" Garth music (yes, I know they were covers) and a DVD of a full Vegas show. Best box he has released because it had the most "new" material we've ever seen in a box from him.

3. Atlanta show - I recognize some might be disappointed, but I thought the announcement for the stadium show in Atlanta, especially since he said it was being filmed, absolutely lives up to the hype. HUGE event and worthy of the big announcement.

Where I get frustrated is the tease of an announcement or something big and we hear nothing (which has happened multiple times since coming out of retirement) or we get something like today that is neat, but doesn't seem like something worthy of causing us all to stop and pay attention.
    However, that was the choice of some to stop and pay attention to it so closely. I saw the posts about a special StudioG today at 12:35pm EST. I moved on.... when 12:35 came, I got on Facebook and enjoyed the heck out of a awesome moment in Garth history. I don't think Garth played this up or anything. Garth and his staff are beyond masters of promotion and marketing. They choose their words and procedures on how and when words are addressed with amazing to detail.

I both agree and disagree. Yes, the board does a lot of hyping and starts running wild when something is said. I'm not sure that is always bad. Isn't that what fans do? We get excited and I think that is a good thing. If we don't talk about it who will. Goodness knows the general country music world out there doesn't care what Garth does.

Let's be real though, Garth intentionally overhypes things. Garth said "no one else on Earth has done this". ISS gets calls from celebrities sometimes. As I said, Paul McCartney had a bit in his concert where he talked to the crew a few years ago. Sure, maybe no one has ever played them a verse and a chorus from a song, but is that worthy of a "No one on this Earth, or out of this Earth, has ever done this" comment? If that isn't hype I don't know what is.

We had a special Facebook live with special graphics at a special time and were told no one had ever done this on this Earth or out of this Earth. Sounds like hyping up for something big to me.

I don't know, I guess I'm not a "real" Garth fan since I don't just automatically celebrate everything he does. I'm just one who tries to be objective and I think often he makes big deals out of nothing. It happens way too often for me to think that those of us who get disappointed are the problem.
    I would argue that I'm trying to be objective by pointing out that not everything the man says has to be treated as gospel. I'm not here to celebrate everything he says, but my goodness we need to settle down the expectations. "No one else on earth has ever done this before" - Honestly, why would anyone truly believe it's that simple? It's obvious teasing that any and every entertainer out there would do. The circus was the "greatest show on earth" but did anyone believe that one?

My issue is not with speculating...it's that this board often speculates to its wildest dreams and then gets mad at Garth when those expectations aren't met. That's just silly.

Of course Garth hypes things! That's a huge part of his job! You'd just think his fans would be used to it after decades of listening to it. It's fine to expect something cool when Garth teases an announcement. It's probably not cool to expect something that will alter the face of music history.

I'm just saying that people need to temper their expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkfitz View Post
    However, that was the choice of some to stop and pay attention to it so closely. I saw the posts about a special StudioG today at 12:35pm EST. I moved on.... when 12:35 came, I got on Facebook and enjoyed the heck out of a awesome moment in Garth history. I don't think Garth played this up or anything. Garth and his staff are beyond masters of promotion and marketing. They choose their words and procedures on how and when words are addressed with amazing to detail.
    You honestly think he didn't play this up? So claiming you are doing something no one in this world or out of this world has ever done is NOT hype.

Yes, I chose to watch and that was clearly my fault. Not blaming anyone for that.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkfitz View Post

I agree with this 100%. It's why my guesses in this thread the other day were so tame. It's what I've come to expect.

When I first read this I thought 'Why did Garth sing to ISIS? I thought they were the enemy?'.

Quote Originally Posted by STLGarth View Post
    When I first read this I thought 'Why did Garth sing to ISIS? I thought they were the enemy?'.
    Hahahaha! Now that would certainly bring on controversy.

I would argue that I'm trying to be objective by pointing out that not everything the man says has to be treated as gospel. I'm not here to celebrate everything he says, but my goodness we need to settle down the expectations. "No one else on earth has ever done this before" - Honestly, why would anyone truly believe it's that simple? It's obvious teasing that any and every entertainer out there would do. The circus was the "greatest show on earth" but did anyone believe that one?

My issue is not with speculating...it's that this board often speculates to its wildest dreams and then gets mad at Garth when those expectations aren't met. That's just silly.

Of course Garth hypes things! That's a huge part of his job! You'd just think his fans would be used to it after decades of listening to it. It's fine to expect something cool when Garth teases an announcement. It's probably not cool to expect something that will alter the face of music history.

I'm just saying that people need to temper their expectations.
    I think we are arguing about two different things. I actually don't disagree with you when it comes to speculation. The board does run wild sometimes and then gets upset when it isn't something great. I've probably been guilty of that and that is all on me.

However, I think there is a difference in hyping something and over hyping something. I think all artists hype things, but I think Garth over does it to the max. I have friends that aren't even Garth fans and they actually make fun of how much he hypes up stuff. I don't see how anyone doesn't think he overdoes it with hype.

Quote Originally Posted by STLGarth View Post
    Haha. If he did i bet it would be people loving people.

Thought yesterday's announcement was an announcement of today's announcement.

He really doesn't need to this. He could have just said he was visiting somewhere cool and it will be on Facebook live on Thursday. But there definitely was hype to get excited about it on Monday's studio g, send out another email on Wednesday when he normally announces concerts on Wednesdays. It's just all a bit too much.

I think we are arguing about two different things. I actually don't disagree with you when it comes to speculation. The board does run wild sometimes and then gets upset when it isn't something great. I've probably been guilty of that and that is all on me.

However, I think there is a difference in hyping something and over hyping something. I think all artists hype things, but I think Garth over does it to the max. I have friends that aren't even Garth fans and they actually make fun of how much he hypes up stuff. I don't see how anyone doesn't think he overdoes it with hype.
    I guess I don't necessarily see the overhyping because I don't take it very seriously. He's done it for so long, that it just seems normal. It's also very hard to reconcile the overhyping when fans are the ones who actually take it to the max. He could say something relatively innocuous and people will dissect to the point of being "overhyped."

Thought yesterday's announcement was an announcement of today's announcement.

He really doesn't need to this. He could have just said he was visiting somewhere cool and it will be on Facebook live on Thursday. But there definitely was hype to get excited about it on Monday's studio g, send out another email on Wednesday when he normally announces concerts on Wednesdays. It's just all a bit too much.

Nowhere in that post did they promise an announcement. It said "Garth Brooks live from NASA's Mission Control in Houston" and that's exactly what it was. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think what bothers me the most is I've come to realize that any critical statements towards Garth, even when they are done in an objective type of way, immediately gets the "you are the problem" type of response. It's our expectations that is the problem or the fact that we somehow don't understand that hype is a tactic that artists use. It's almost insulting. I don't think those of us who have a different opinion are a "problem", are "silly", or aren't smart enough to "temper our expectations". I feel like I get all of those things. I just think he overhypes things and makes a big deal out of things that aren't a big deal. I don't know how that makes me wrong. I'm not a negative, sour, or difficult to please type of person. A matter of fact, Garth pleases me more times than not. I think I just have a different viewpoint. I think that is sometimes a good thing, not bad.

I went to my first Garth show in 1991 (when I was 13 years old) and have seen him almost 50 times since then. I've been fortunate enough to meet him on multiple occasions and he has been nothing but super nice to me and my friends every single time. No artist like him. However, I just don't agree with everything he does. I don't think he walks on water and I think he makes mistakes. I think he sometimes (quite often) overhypes things and leads fans on. I am a fan of a lot of other artists as well and I don't see many of those same kind of things happening with them.

My opinion has always been that these big announcements and hype should be reserved for things like physical releases, tour announcements, big shows, or special events. Where I completely take fault is that I should know better. Too many times I think he has overhyped things and it is my fault for falling for it over and over again. I just want to see that next really cool thing come around the corner. Again, I don't think that is bad. That is what a fan does.

I guess I'd just like to see those of us who have views that don't praise Garth for everything he does not always be framed as we are the problem. That bothers me and always has.

+ Reply to Thread