+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: G-alert: Garth's major annoucement thursday

Yeah I tend to agree. Garth's RIAA numbers come across to me as somewhat "fake" because of the various albums being repackaged into so many boxes.

But that said, regardless of that practice, he still does have enough pull and influence to convince retailers to keep releasing the boxes, so I guess that adds some legitimacy to it. I dunno. I could care less about his overall RIAA tally, but when all is said and done, when they write articles about Garth in 50 years, the first line will always be something along the lines of "Garth Brooks, who sold [X number of albums] and who was the first artist to obtain [x] Diamond Awards, was..." and Garth knows that, so I suppose that's what it's so important to him.

But like others have said, I mostly wish he'd be a little less obsessed about it, and instead just focus on putting out music that he loves and let the numbers take care of themselves.

It absolutely adds legitimacy. It's just as much a business move for retailers as it is for Garth. They wouldn't buy the shipments if they didn't believe they would sell. Every time he does this, he has no trouble finding a retail partner because he's a proven seller. He gives them a deal, they make lots of money, fans get cheap music. I don't think there is anything illegitimate about his numbers.

I do absolutely agree with wishing he'd just put out music he believes in and let the music speak for itself. That said, I really think he does believe in the music he records. Whether or not it could be better or more "authentic" is up for debate, but I don't count him as someone who does anything he doesn't believe in.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about the practice. I have kept up with the RIAA numbers since I was a teenager. I think they are a really big deal and really interesting. In one sense everything Garth has done is totally legitimate because he is playing within the rules that they have defined.

On the flipside of the coin I really struggle with it because last year he technically sold over 10 million albums according to the RIAA count. The biggest album artist in country music in 2016, Chris Stapleton, only went 2 times platinum with his monster album Traveller. I mean, does anybody really think Garth's box set was a bigger deal than Traveller in anything other than RIAA tally?

I'll make a really random guess on tomorrow's announcement.

Garth will sign on to be a judge on American Idol's reboot on ABC.

There wasn't any new concert announcements today. Or last week. My guess it's a concert announcement of some sort where he will make it sound like something special like Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by mbarker View Post

Now that's something I can get behind. I'm not sure how it fits his "8th wonder of the world" description, but it'd be a lot of fun.

I agree, that would be completely worthy of this G-Alert thing. But there's no way it's happening. Didn't he say any future plans were up to Trisha? I doubt he's going to make that type of commitment right now to a project that doesn't involve his music/touring or Trisha's. Maybe in the future, but definitely not now.

You know, I think that just may be it. And I think it fits perfectly with demurring to Trisha's wishes and schedule for 2018, since it's not really that huge of a commitment on Garth's part. He shows up for a day or two in 5-6 cities during the audition tapings, and then he'd just have to be in the studio for 1-2 days a week when they get to the LA portion of the show. I Trisha's doing broadway or whatever, there's no reason this would interfere with that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fever View Post
    There wasn't any new concert announcements today. Or last week. My guess it's a concert announcement of some sort where he will make it sound like something special like Vegas.
    I've decided that if Tomorrow's announcement is a concert in a city that has direct flights from Dublin, I'm going. I need my Garth fix and can't wait in hope of another Ireland letdown!

Very good points made by rhd13.

As being said, if you took away all the boxsets/rereleases/exclusive deals, Garth still has one of the biggest careers in music.

If you go to other music boards though, he has a bad reputation of being the person who Manipulates the system the most.

If indeed the announcement is the seventh diamond award and hitting 150 million, Garth will celebrate, his fans will celebrate, but the
    wider music world may just roll their eyes.

Which is kinder sad, because as we know, he still has had one heck of a career and impressive numbers that only a handful of artists have matched.

Anyway, time will tell what the annoucement is, but I hope garth understands if its is the riaa thing, the general music public probably wont be celebrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    You know, I think that just may be it. And I think it fits perfectly with demurring to Trisha's wishes and schedule for 2018, since it's not really that huge of a commitment on Garth's part. He shows up for a day or two in 5-6 cities during the audition tapings, and then he'd just have to be in the studio for 1-2 days a week when they get to the LA portion of the show. I Trisha's doing broadway or whatever, there's no reason this would interfere with that.
    Sorry forgive me if Im confuse, if Garth wants to support, would he be based in LA, if Trisha is on a broadway show in newyork?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    Sorry forgive me if Im confuse, if Garth wants to support, would he be based in LA, if Trisha is on a broadway show in newyork?
    Exactly. And AI already threw a bunch of money to get Katy Perry & Ryan Seacrest, I doubt they could afford someone like Garth at this point. They'll round out the cast with a couple of B-List artists is my guess.

If he did Idol, he would only have to be in LA 2 days a week at the most. From what I hear it's going to be a once a week show. I've also heard that auditions will all be held at Disneyland and DisneyWorld this summer.

I can see the announcement being the 8th diamond award. This is what occurred to me today though. What if the really MAJOR part of the announcement is the celebration concert for it? Nashville got the 7 diamond, so does he maybe do Chicago (wishful thinking on my part!) since it's the city on this tour farthest removed with him having started here? If it really is for the diamond award, I definitely think the celebration is also being announced tomorrow. We'll see!
    Dreams can come true with God's great angels like you.
    Completely Wrapped Up in Garth, and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by Garthfan92 View Post
    I can see the announcement being the 8th diamond award. This is what occurred to me today though. What if the really MAJOR part of the announcement is the celebration concert for it? Nashville got the 7 diamond, so does he maybe do Chicago (wishful thinking on my part!) since it's the city on this tour farthest removed with him having started here? If it really is for the diamond award, I definitely think the celebration is also being announced tomorrow. We'll see!
    A celebration concert would be awesome. Heck all will be revealed tomorrow!!

I think if he announces a celebration concert it will be one of three places Nashville, Oklahoma or Ireland.
    Last edited by Brett Dale; 06-21-2017 at 11:23 PM.

Well because of international time zones, I will probably be in bed when Garth announces his big announcement, going to be fun to wake up, and go straight to this thread to see
    what it is.

Hope I will be pleasantly surprised!

I think there will of course be a diamond shaped plaque, Garth will get emotional, thank a whole lot of people, and maybe add something about a celebration,
    which he cant quite talk about yet.

I also wonder if the mainstream media will jump on board the announcement.

I may be proven totally wrong here in a couple of hours, but if this is some sort of Diamond Award or 150 million announcement I don't think there will be a concert to celebrate. It has been less than a year since the 7 Diamond Celebration and that one was done in conjunction with TN Tourism. Also, hitting 7 Diamonds was the "big one" for multiple reasons. As we all know, 7 is his lucky number, but 7 broke the tie with the Beatles. At this point he would just be breaking his own record. I don't know, I just don't see that as reason to throw a big concert. To me that sounds pretty egotistical and self-serving after we just celebrated a similar accomplishment a few months ago.

Like I said, I may be wrong. I've got a gut feeling this is going to be the Demo Project announcement and Triple Live will come in November.

I'll even throw one more crazy thought out there. Since this is going to be a "g-alert" and we are told an announcement will be made within the hour, what if there is some real immediacy to the announcement. What if it is about the Demo Project and it is available immediately (or tomorrow) exclusively through Amazon? That is kind of a trend now to drop a project with little or no notice. That is so out of character for Garth, but since this is not a "new" project, but simply releasing stuff from the vaults that could make sense. What if it is only available for a limited time or in a limited quantity? Just a thought.

Probably not going to happen, but I just think this announcement has the potential to be something shocking to all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    If he did Idol, he would only have to be in LA 2 days a week at the most. From what I hear it's going to be a once a week show. I've also heard that auditions will all be held at Disneyland and DisneyWorld this summer.
    My understanding is that it is going to only be once a week on Sundays.

Any news yet?

g alert about an announcement of nothing

Quote Originally Posted by The Fever View Post
    g alert about an announcement of nothing
    Sounds like most of Garth's "major" announcements. Haha!!

Its like 650am in newzealand. Has the g alert been sent out yet.

So, its 2:50pm on the East Coast... has the window to this G-Alert closed for the day, do you think or something possible this evening? It seems to be for announcement items, Garth favors the mornings....

He could do it around 7pm est like Studio G, just isn't a Monday, but most of the US is home from work etc...

Its like 650am in newzealand. Has the g alert been sent out yet.
    Sorry to disappoint you but nothing yet. It's 3pm Eastern time. The day is half over.

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    He could do it around 7pm est like Studio G, just isn't a Monday, but most of the US is home from work etc...
    Clearly it's a US announcement.

What's the point of a g alert if he's going to be predictable and follow Monday's studio g time?

+ Reply to Thread