+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 136

Thread: G-alert: Garth's major annoucement thursday

  1. #1

    G-alert: Garth's major annoucement thursday

    Though this deserved its own thread.

    So hes making a major announcement thursday, via the G-Alert thing.

    He said there would probably only be three G alert's a year, they will be rare and only
    used for something big, he said if you love music you will love this announcement.

    so without further ado, what will it be.

    a: Live Album
    b: Eight Diamond Award
    c: Charity Concerts
    d: His current tour
    e: The demo disc set
    F: A Book
    G: No announcement
    H: Something disappointing

    Im going with what was said in the studio G thread, an eight diamond award. which for me,
    would be a disappointing major announcement.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    615
    I'm really hopeful that this is going to be an announcement about what is coming this Fall/Winter. I'm hoping we get info about something like the live album, the demo project or even the book. Shoot, I would even love an announcement about some sort of release that we've not heard anything about. However, it seems really early to be talking about something that is probably going to be released on Black Friday (which we all know if it is a music or video release it probably will be). That means that I think it is going to be disappointing. Probably something like an 8th Diamond Award (which really is a big deal, but it all seems like he is trying WAY TOO HARD to rack these up) or some kind of announcement about something that most of us will care little about.

    I really hope I'm wrong and it is incredibly exciting!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    I'm really hopeful that this is going to be an announcement about what is coming this Fall/Winter. I'm hoping we get info about something like the live album, the demo project or even the book. Shoot, I would even love an announcement about some sort of release that we've not heard anything about. However, it seems really early to be talking about something that is probably going to be released on Black Friday (which we all know if it is a music or video release it probably will be). That means that I think it is going to be disappointing. Probably something like an 8th Diamond Award (which really is a big deal, but it all seems like he is trying WAY TOO HARD to rack these up) or some kind of announcement about something that most of us will care little about.

    I really hope I'm wrong and it is incredibly exciting!
    I agree with ya!

    I think the coolest thing will be a project that hasnt been talked about before. That would be exciting.

    Imagine hearing something completely new.

    He did say G alert would only be used for something major!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    I agree with ya!

    I think the coolest thing will be a project that hasnt been talked about before. That would be exciting.

    Imagine hearing something completely new.

    He did say G alert would only be used for something major!!!
    Big announcement in June from a guy who only releases things in November? No way it's about a release.

    One thing I've learned is that "major" to Garth is not "major" to most fans. It's either a special concert, an 8th Diamond Award for The Chase, an announcement that he's broken some sort of overall ticket sales tally, or (like others have said) something else that's technically a big deal but not something most fans will really care about.

    Or, it could be a G-Alert announcing a future G-Alert.

    Anyone wanna take bets on whether the announcement will even actually be made this week?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Big announcement in June from a guy who only releases things in November? No way it's about a release.

    One thing I've learned is that "major" to Garth is not "major" to most fans. It's either a special concert, an 8th Diamond Award for The Chase, an announcement that he's broken some sort of overall ticket sales tally, or (like others have said) something else that's technically a big deal but not something most fans will really care about.

    Or, it could be a G-Alert announcing a future G-Alert.

    Anyone wanna take bets on whether the announcement will even actually be made this week?
    His comment where he said "its considered the eight wonder of the world" surly wouldnt be the chase going Diamond, I originally thought it would be, but thats a pretty big thing to say.

    I think there must be an announcement, because he would want to test out how many people are getting the
    G-Alert thing.

    Agree about whats big to Garth, may not matter to his fans.

    If its a diamond award for the chase, then despite being a great achievement, that wouldnt mean much to me at all.

    Hey there is a concert venue in this part of the world that is considered the eight wonder of the world, hehe.

  6. #6
    Yeah, I've learned not to get excited about these so called "major announcements". The vast majority of the time, it's just not very "major" at all.

    I know the running joke is that he'll announce a future announcement. Really wouldn't surprise me.

    I wonder if he understands how much he's "kind of" let down us "hardcore" fans. I don't say that lightly. But, in some ways, he's become somewhat of a joke as of late. I don't know, maybe I'm way off on that one.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBarton View Post
    Yeah, I've learned not to get excited about these so called "major announcements". The vast majority of the time, it's just not very "major" at all.

    I know the running joke is that he'll announce a future announcement. Really wouldn't surprise me.

    I wonder if he understands how much he's "kind of" let down us "hardcore" fans. I don't say that lightly. But, in some ways, he's become somewhat of a joke as of late. I don't know, maybe I'm way off on that one.
    Yep with Garth, ya kinda now take any annoucements with a grain of salt, still since this is a new thing hes trying "G Alert" perhaps he wants it to be a big one.

    In his mind though, an eight Diamond award, might be a huge huge announcement, and he does deserve to be congratulated for it, for myself though a big
    announcement would be some sort of project for himself, collaborating with someone else, playing concerts in different parts of the world that is Unique.

    (Think Billy Joel in the USSR etc etc)

    Still going to be fun to guess, if he cancels the announcement, I will never ever believe a word he says again.

    Fingers and toes are crossed for this one,.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,496
    I am going with "H"
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    580
    He is obviously referring to Croke Park in Dublin. It is huge, it is only ranked as #3 in the EU when it comes to capacity, but I am pretty sure it is one of the largest stadiums in the world when it comes to square meters covered. Henne, the 8th wonder of the world. I also guess he is now trying to make it six sold out shows this time, of course subject to (a max of three shows) licence. :-)

    [QUOTE=DuckStreetCowboy;428030]He said something like they're calling what's being announced Thursday the 8th wonder of the world because it's pretty huge. Could that be the 8th diamond? Hope it's something new../]

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    650
    [QUOTE=gbfevernorway;428049]He is obviously referring to Croke Park in Dublin. It is huge, it is only ranked as #3 in the EU when it comes to capacity, but I am pretty sure it is one of the largest stadiums in the world when it comes to square meters covered. Henne, the 8th wonder of the world. I also guess he is now trying to make it six sold out shows this time, of course subject to (a max of three shows) licence. :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    He said something like they're calling what's being announced Thursday the 8th wonder of the world because it's pretty huge. Could that be the 8th diamond? Hope it's something new../]
    It's not going to be Croke Park, unless it's happening this summer, and that seems unlikely since 2 of the 3 dates have been taken already. Zero chance he announces something a Year in advance.

    Croke Park is a stadium, its big, but it's certainly not a Wonder Of The World.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Arlington, Tx.
    Posts
    739
    He said earlier that Lafayette is where he will be recording the next live album and that's this weekend so thurs would make sense on that. However, doing a quick Google search I found a volcanic eruption referred to as the 8th wonder in New Zealand and the arena in Nashville referred to as the 8th wonder of the world. Who knows!
    Last edited by garthcop; 06-20-2017 at 04:12 PM. Reason: typo

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    He said earlier that Lafayette is where he will be recording the next live album and that's this weekend so thurs would make sense on that. However, doing a quick Google search I found a volcanic eruption referred to as the 8th wonder in New Zealand and the arena in Nashville referred to as the 8th wonder of the world. Who knows!
    Seriously? The arena in Nashville? 8th Wonder Of The World?

    If so, perhaps that's the Big announcement. August/September dates in Nashville.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    615
    OK, I may be way off base here (it wouldn't be the first time), but I didn't take the whole "8th wonder of the world" thing as a hint to what is coming up. I didn't take it that way when I was watching live last night and I even went back and watched again and still didn't take it that way. I just took it that he was kind of joking. His helper, Hashtag, said something about everything he does is big and the G-alert would be "really big" and then Garth goes on to say, "I here they are calling it the 8th wonder of the world". I don't know, I kind of took it to just be joking around about it being a big deal not that this was some sort of hint about what was coming. Again, I could be totally wrong.

    I'm wondering if it really could be the announcement of a release and he is spreading Triple Live and the Demo Project out just a little bit (and not releasing them both in November). Part of me really doubts that to be the case, but he does say something like this would be a big deal to those that "enjoy the music" which could mean a music related announcement. Again, I could be wrong. I mean, we all know that November is when he releases virtually everything so this is WAY TOO EARLY for an announcement about a project coming out in November.

    I've got no ideas any different than what is mentioned above. I'm going to hope it is about a release and my guess is it will either be a huge disappointment of an announcement or this might be the demo release and he decided to do it a little earlier and save Triple Live for November. Again, I doubt that because of his history of November releases.

    As far as him recording live in Lafayette this weekend, I would love for the live album to be live, but my gut says most of it will be recorded in a recording studio here in Nashville.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by garthcop View Post
    He said earlier that Lafayette is where he will be recording the next live album and that's this weekend so thurs would make sense on that. However, doing a quick Google search I found a volcanic eruption referred to as the 8th wonder in New Zealand and the arena in Nashville referred to as the 8th wonder of the world. Who knows!
    I wish he came to NewZealand, i doubt if its that though, Today Paul mcCartney is doing a facebook live thing and
    taking questions from New Zealand and Australia, he is officially hes touring here in December. No way Garth is going to make the same annoucement two days later.

    Haha, I did the same google search, and saw that!!! :-)

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    OK, I may be way off base here (it wouldn't be the first time), but I didn't take the whole "8th wonder of the world" thing as a hint to what is coming up. I didn't take it that way when I was watching live last night and I even went back and watched again and still didn't take it that way. I just took it that he was kind of joking. His helper, Hashtag, said something about everything he does is big and the G-alert would be "really big" and then Garth goes on to say, "I here they are calling it the 8th wonder of the world". I don't know, I kind of took it to just be joking around about it being a big deal not that this was some sort of hint about what was coming. Again, I could be totally wrong.

    I'm wondering if it really could be the announcement of a release and he is spreading Triple Live and the Demo Project out just a little bit (and not releasing them both in November). Part of me really doubts that to be the case, but he does say something like this would be a big deal to those that "enjoy the music" which could mean a music related announcement. Again, I could be wrong. I mean, we all know that November is when he releases virtually everything so this is WAY TOO EARLY for an announcement about a project coming out in November.

    I've got no ideas any different than what is mentioned above. I'm going to hope it is about a release and my guess is it will either be a huge disappointment of an announcement or this might be the demo release and he decided to do it a little earlier and save Triple Live for November. Again, I doubt that because of his history of November releases.

    As far as him recording live in Lafayette this weekend, I would love for the live album to be live, but my gut says most of it will be recorded in a recording studio here in Nashville.
    Excellent points, I think your right, its going to be a something related to a project, Demos or something.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Belleville, IL
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    As far as him recording live in Lafayette this weekend, I would love for the live album to be live, but my gut says most of it will be recorded in a recording studio here in Nashville.
    I think one line from the live version of Callin' Baton Rouge will come from this weekend.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    744
    Could be the Nashville announcement for September?

    He might make it sound like something big like Vegas. But that was a let down. Yankee Stadium was shown four months after taking place and there's still no progress on the Vegas shows that was recorded.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fever View Post
    Could be the Nashville announcement for September?

    He might make it sound like something big like Vegas. But that was a let down. Yankee Stadium was shown four months after taking place and there's still no progress on the Vegas shows that was recorded.
    Would he make a special announcement for Nashville??? and by that I mean, not just make the usual big announcement, but tell people its rare thus hes using "G-Alert" thing.

    Yeah I saw footage from his Las vegas concert on youtube, surprising, because I remember the press conference and he said Vegas will be different than the usual shows, but
    it was pretty much the same as other cities.

    Anyway I think Garth has to deliver the goods this time, with this announcement, solely for the fact that he is using the this G Alert, which he himself has explained is only use for
    HUGE Rare announcements.

    Im sorry, but this better be BIG.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Just south of nowhere
    Posts
    1,552
    Inside scoop! Trisha's rescue dog had puppies, G-Alert will have world exclusive first pictures! ;-)

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    Inside scoop! Trisha's rescue dog had puppies, G-Alert will have world exclusive first pictures! ;-)
    HAHAHA CLASSIC!

    That actually would be funny.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    LA/Long Beach area
    Posts
    1,716
    I think it might be the Diamond Award thingy. The local paper for SLO and Mid State Fair had an article today and it said the singer's press release said he had sold 149 million records. So The Chase needed 1 million to get Diamond. Just making guesses. :-)

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I think it might be the Diamond Award thingy. The local paper for SLO and Mid State Fair had an article today and it said the singer's press release said he had sold 149 million records. So The Chase needed 1 million to get Diamond. Just making guesses. :-)
    Heck it might be that after all, sales (shipments) reaching 150 Million.

    That would be a letdown for me, mainly because it's hasnt really happened organically. Lots of boxsets, rereleases etc etc.

    You know I kinda wish, the beatles and other artists would get their albums re-certified, and overtake Garth, that way if Garth is like 15th all time in the USA, he may stop his obsession with numbers.

    Agree?

    Would it be a big deal for people here if its an 8th diamond award and Garth numbers hits 150 million for the states.

    I now think, this is the announcement. Garth reaching 150 Million.

    Great achievement, well done, but feel a bit flat if this is the case.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I think it might be the Diamond Award thingy. The local paper for SLO and Mid State Fair had an article today and it said the singer's press release said he had sold 149 million records. So The Chase needed 1 million to get Diamond. Just making guesses. :-)
    Excellent point and you may be right. I was at CMA Fest and when they introduced Garth I noticed they said 149 million as well (and it currently stands at 148 on RIAA tally). Of course, I didn't think much about it at the time. Was too busy freaking out that Garth shocked us all and was performing at the festival for the first time since 1998. HA!

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    Excellent point and you may be right. I was at CMA Fest and when they introduced Garth I noticed they said 149 million as well (and it currently stands at 148 on RIAA tally). Of course, I didn't think much about it at the time. Was too busy freaking out that Garth shocked us all and was performing at the festival for the first time since 1998. HA!
    Im now 99.99999% sure that's the announcement, that is whats important to him, the numbers.

    He has now sold 150 million albums and the Chase has gone Diamond.

    Great achievement for Garth, worth celebrating, but its the upcoming projects Im more excited about.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    LA/Long Beach area
    Posts
    1,716
    I see a new boxed set coming out. After The Chase and In Pieces go Diamond, I can see a Diamond Boxed Set. LOL. It will contain all nine or maybe 10 CDs with special logo on covers with Diamond and maybe a extra CD containing the songs from each cd in first boxed set. :-)

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I see a new boxed set coming out. After The Chase and In Pieces go Diamond, I can see a Diamond Boxed Set. LOL. It will contain all nine or maybe 10 CDs with special logo on covers with Diamond and maybe a extra CD containing the songs from each cd in first boxed set. :-)
    That's a great guess, kinda cool if you havent bought his previous album, I use to, but wont ever buy an album I already have just because its got one extra song on it.

  27. #27
    People on Twitter are calling the g-alert the new Bat signal.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    615
    If this ends up being an announcement about a Diamond Award (or two) and/or that he has hit the 150 million mark I'm going to be extremely disappointed. I think the only type of thing that warrants a "g-alert" is an announcement of a new release or something similar. I've followed the RIAA numbers since I was a teen, I'm almost 40 now, and get that Diamond Awards and 150 million is HUGE! However, the obsessive focus with it all is driving me a little batty.

    I tell you what Garth's obsession with numbers reminds me of, Barry Bonds. For those of you who don't follow baseball in 1998 both Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa broke the single season home-run record in baseball (arguably baseball's most hallowed record). While everyone was paying attention to that home run chase Barry Bonds was doing things no player had ever done. That summer he became the first player ever to hit 500 homers and steal 500 bases in his career (an unprecedented statement of his all around prowess as a player). No one cared because of McGwire/Sosa. Reportedly this bothered Bonds so bad that he decided to take steroids (which he knew McGwire/Sosa was doing anyways) so he could chase down their record and be appreciated for the player he was. Well, 3 years later he broke the single season home run record and eventually the all-time home run record. Of course, this happened as the steroid scandal broke and he is now one of the most villainized players in history. Had he just simply put up his numbers, without steroids, he would have been idolized and put on a pedestal as one of the greatest players ever, but his obsession with breaking those records ultimately destroyed his reputation.

    I fear this is what will happen to Garth. If you took away all the box sets and double discs he would still rank as the #4 best selling artist in the US of all-time behind The Beatles, Elvis and Led Zeppelin. However, I have friends that understand the RIAA counting who don't even care about Garth's numbers because they see them as inflated (just like many see Barry Bonds).

    If he breaks The Beatles record you don't think there will be tons of people, especially Beatles fans, who know how and why it happened? I do and I think at that point it might really hurt his reputation with the general public.

    As a fan, I like the box sets when they contain lots of material we don't have. At the same time, I'm just tired of chasing the numbers. As someone mentioned above, we will probably get a Diamond box set with a handful of new songs in an attempt to rack up even more numbers. It is starting to get ridiculous.

  29. #29
    To be fair, The Beatles' numbers are also inflated with box sets re-releases and double albums. Their labels have been playing this game far longer than Garth.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sevens View Post
    To be fair, The Beatles' numbers are also inflated with box sets re-releases and double albums. Their labels have been playing this game far longer than Garth.
    I'm not saying you are wrong. We could argue that all big, major artists play this game. Where I think it is different with Garth is he has done the exclusive deals with retailers to guarantee that he sells a certain number. It doesn't matter if the boxes are being sold at deep discounts ($9.99 in some instances) he has logged 10 million in sales because the retailer buys a million boxes. I don't feel that is the same as just repackaging old music and selling it in box sets which is the game most play. To my knowledge no one has used exclusive deals to their RIAA advantage like Garth.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts