+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chris Gaines

Chris Gaines

So I bought this little car just to ride back and forth to work in. However, the only thing in the radio that works is the cd player. So hey, I grab a stack of Garth cd's and boom, I'm a happy camper. I put the CG cd in and I am instantly reminded just how good this album was/is. It is truly a work of art. I am convinced that had this album been released by another artist, without the gimmick, about ten years earlier, it would be regarded as one of the greatest albums ever made. It is truly a treasure trove of musical relish.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    I found it to be an interesting niche album, but regarded as one of the greatest albums ever made ? I don't think that another artist, or even no gimmick would have saved it/made it better/more highly regarded.. (then again, we all have diff. opinions.. not trying to nitpick your thoughts charlie..) I Do love some of the songs on it...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I love the album too.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

It really is a solid album! I love it!

Solid 7 in my mind.

For me, Chris Gaines is special. It came out my junior year of high school, Garth was and is my musical idol and to hear him tackle all these different genres blew me away. I had a 1972 Chevy Nova and drove my lunch group crazy playing the holographic cd over and over. I totally bought into the "character" and respected the varied tracklist and how it fit with the story.

I love to write this record and wish he would release it on vinyl.

Would I say its a classic? No, and I don't think Garth would either seeing as the project is never referenced.

Would I buy a reissue with new artwork and extra Gaines songs from vault like a special edition? Hell yes, I would in a heartbeat. PLEASE GARTH IS YOU'RE READING I WILL BUY CHRIS GAINES SPECIAL EDITIONS!!!!

Side note:LONG SHOT QUESTION: I have tickets to L.A. July 21st show, which happens to be my birthday, do you think he would play "It Don't Matter to the Sun" if I made a sign?

I saw a sign once or twice for Lost In You at a few shows, on the floor where he could see them and never acknowledged them during housecleaning.

Personally I don't think it was a bad album either, but the problem with getting older is that there are some songs on that album that don't fit with me anymore like they did when I was a kid. Lost in You, Snow in July, Way of the Girl and Unsigned Letter being perfect examples, I just can't listen to em anymore without having to get those goosebump cringes. In terms of unreleased tracks from that album, I would've loved to hear his version of Wayne Kirkpatrick's 'My Armageddon', I thought it was a beautifully crafted tune that would've been perfect for Garth and would've made better sense for this album as opposed to Todd Snider's "Alright Guy".

Also, I think this whole debacle probably would've had a lot less severe ramifications had Garth just worked on shooting the movie first and work on the soundtrack in-between shoots. I think his character was going to be dead anyway if I remember correctly, it probably would've given him time to shoot his scenes then work on the music, while the rest of the movie plot was being formed. Hell there's an idea, I might make an unofficial novelization of The Lamb and write my own version of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by fences2312 View Post
    For me, Chris Gaines is special. It came out my junior year of high school, Garth was and is my musical idol and to hear him tackle all these different genres blew me away. I had a 1972 Chevy Nova and drove my lunch group crazy playing the holographic cd over and over. I totally bought into the "character" and respected the varied tracklist and how it fit with the story.

I love to write this record and wish he would release it on vinyl.

Would I say its a classic? No, and I don't think Garth would either seeing as the project is never referenced.

Would I buy a reissue with new artwork and extra Gaines songs from vault like a special edition? Hell yes, I would in a heartbeat. PLEASE GARTH IS YOU'RE READING I WILL BUY CHRIS GAINES SPECIAL EDITIONS!!!!

Side note:LONG SHOT QUESTION: I have tickets to L.A. July 21st show, which happens to be my birthday, do you think he would play "It Don't Matter to the Sun" if I made a sign?
    I think he might!!!

Its a great song!!!

The Chris Gaines album is interesting to me. I would argue that it is his most ambitious work and I think it is an incredible record. I think there are multiple reasons it failed and I'm going to see if I can explain.

1. Country music isn't good with change - I've been a country fan my whole life so I feel like I can say this. Country music doesn't adjust to an artist changing very well. For instance, in rock music bands are expected to change and evolve their sound (think of U2), but in country music it is more of a "stick to the formula" mindset. If you have had several multi-platinum albums in a row and several hit singles don't mess with what your doing, just keep doing it. Chris Gaines was such a drastic departure for a country artist I think that doomed it from the start.

2. The way it was explained - I still to this day hear people talk about Garth's "alter-ego". This is not Garth's alter-ego. This was a pre-soundtrack to a film that never got made. I think a lot of people didn't "get" what was happening. They just saw pictures of Garth Brooks dressed in black with a wig on and thought he'd lost his mind. It just seemed like no one outside of hardcore Garth fans could grasp the concept. I'm not sure if that is Garth's fault for not explaining it better (I feel like he tried to explain it well) or if it was just the average music fan not paying much attention or what. All I know is people didn't seem to really understand the project at all.

3. The press - The press continued to label this as the "alter-ego" even after Garth explained over and over that's not what it was. I don't remember what interview it was, but there was an interview that he did in which you could tell he was visibly getting aggravated with the interviewer for not listening to what he was explaining. (I have that on DVD somewhere.) I think the press wanted to see him fail because we have this twisted fascination of watching someone become the biggest thing in the world and then falling flat on their face. I think Garth having an "alter-ego" sounded so much better in a news story than a soundtrack to a movie and the press ran with the "alter-ego" thing no matter how much Garth fought against it.

4. People didn't listen to the music - I've said this before on these boards, but when I hear someone make fun of Chris Gaines I simply ask, "have you heard the album?" Not once has someone said yes. The people making fun of it are making fun because that is what they believe they are supposed to do. The people I know, not huge Garth fans by the way, that have listened to this album all love it. Those that hear it usually like it quite a bit. Those who didn't listen are usually the ones that make the most fun of the project.

At the end of the day, I admire the Chris Gaines project about as much as anything he's ever done. He went outside of the "box" and was really artistic and didn't worry about how it sold (at least not as much as he seems to with his regular studio records). Because of that, I think we got Garth being at his creative, artistic peak. Unfortunately, we will never see a continuation of it because he pretends like it never happened.

Try! Make sure your write in really big lettering that it is your birthday too! And even if he doesn't sing it, he might still acknowledge it. That is also very cool! (He acknowledged my Chris Gaines sign) Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by fences2312 View Post

The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

Garth should try and make the movie now since country music changed a bit. And come out with another Chris Gaines album with it.
    I've Got Friends In Low Places.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Howard View Post
    Garth should try and make the movie now since country music changed a bit. And come out with another Chris Gaines album with it.
    That won't ever happen.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    I wasn't gonna say it as succinctly Wimpy, but I agree. I think Garth got his but WHIPPED critically on that fiasco of an idea and the 'lamb' ship has far sailed... Country wasn't ready for it in the 90's and the junk that passes for country music now won't be ready for it either...

it's a great idea Rich (btw- Welcome to PG!) but unfort. It will not happen..
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

He should add it in his next box set just to expose it to those who never listened to it. And, I could use another copy

Quote Originally Posted by wimpy77 View Post
    That won't ever happen.
    I know just wishful thinking of a Garth fan.
    I've Got Friends In Low Places.

I wouldn't mind, maybe, him re-recording a track or two with a new country vibe and adding it to his next album. Personally, I think that would be very cool. Maybe, "That's the Way I Remember It", or "Driftin' Away"

+ Reply to Thread