+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Box set falls out of top 50 on country chart; the ultimate hits moves up

Box set falls out of top 50 on country chart; the ultimate hits moves up

Well boxed set is running out of steam. The 1,500 or so sold last week wasn't enough to make the top 50 country albums. Inventory must be low. No sign of Gunslinger either. But TUH keeps chugging along. It moved up 5 spots to #32. Pretty good for what is basically a catalog album. People are buying what they like. I wonder if they are all the 2 disc set or a combination between it and the 2 plus DVD? Radio won't play him so people will go to where th music is. I wonder if the full catalog of albums were available in the stores how muh would he sell? Next will be interesting to see how TUH does.

My Walmarts still has multiple copies of all studio albums save for MAM and Double Live.

That is cool. Not here. I'd buy some if we had any. I end up going on-line to buy the older albums.

In the latest chart rankings, TUH stayed at #32 for the second week in a row. TUC was no where to be seen as well as no views of Gunslinger. But he is still on the charts. :-)

I guess the Box is sold out at Target?

I am sure there are some stores with copies. With no accurate numbers, it is hard to tell how many are left. If you go by the folks who report to Roughstock, maybe 700,000+ sold, if you go by Buzzangle, probably 800,000+ sold. Seems like a lot still left but you divide that by how many thousand Target stores and probably just a few in most stores. I am curious as to what he is going to do with Gunslinger and the marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I am sure there are some stores with copies. With no accurate numbers, it is hard to tell how many are left. If you go by the folks who report to Roughstock, maybe 700,000+ sold, if you go by Buzzangle, probably 800,000+ sold. Seems like a lot still left but you divide that by how many thousand Target stores and probably just a few in most stores. I am curious as to what he is going to do with Gunslinger and the marketing.
    I'd like to see him go on Jimmy Fallon and SNL to promote it, but it doesn't seem to be likely.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    I'd like to see him go on Jimmy Fallon and SNL to promote it, but it doesn't seem to be likely.
    I think he is a Kimmel guy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Garthmedic View Post
    I think he is a Kimmel guy now.
    Which is unfortunate considering he's #3 in ratings. Garth doing a "classroom instruments" version of FILP with Jimmy and the Roots would break the internet.

Nothing exciting to report chart wise. TUH dropped to #36 on the country charts. No sign of boxed set or Gunslinger. Amazing that TUH is still chugging along.

The Ultimate Hits is still charting. On the Billboard Country chart it moves up from #36 to #33. On the Top 200 albums, it drops 10#199 from #169. No sign of Gunslinger or TUC.

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    The Ultimate Hits is still charting. On the Billboard Country chart it moves up from #36 to #33. On the Top 200 albums, it drops 10#199 from #169. No sign of Gunslinger or TUC.
    No sign of Gunslinger??, this is what happens when you care more about boxsets and packages and exclusive deals, than a album.

Its a shame with what happened to Gunslinger, because it wa sa fun album that deserved more.

I would argue more people have heard Gunslinger BECAUSE of the box set than if there was no box set at all.

I was looking at the Roughstock figures and it shows Ginslinger selling about 1,000 a week. I am not sure about their figures since they have TUH only selling some low number. So I think they only use this year's sales or something (and the 2 disc version). I know that Buzzangle even has different numbers the same week with streaming-album sales and album sales. And Billboard reported different numbers from what Buzzangle had. I don't think we will ever get honest figures that is why artists are always suing record companies.

Quote Originally Posted by CBooUF View Post
    I would argue more people have heard Gunslinger BECAUSE of the box set than if there was no box set at all.
    100% agree.

Quote Originally Posted by CBooUF View Post
    I tend to agree and disagree with this statement. HA! Technically, I think you are right. More people probably heard Gunslinger because of the box, but I'm not sure they really listened (if that makes any sense). For instance, I have two friends that considered buying the box. (They didn't actually buy it.) They were going to buy it for the 9 discs of "old stuff" and didn't care much at all about the new album. If they had purchased I feel sure they would have played the new album once or twice, but that is about it. I suspect many who are casual fans bought the box because it was so much old music at such a small price NOT because it had the hot new Garth album that they couldn't wait to hear (yes, that is sarcasm).

Because of the album being a part of a 10 disc box I feel like it got totally eaten up in the promotion of the Target box. He was so concerned with selling the box Gunslinger was almost an after thought. I've never seen a new album by a superstar level performer treated so flippantly. The guy even appeared on Kimmel and played old songs while having a brand new album out. To me that is crazy.

My point is, yes, I think more people heard it because of the set. However, I don't think the album made much of an impact. It got lost in the shuffle and I think for the casual listener, which is who the box was aimed at, that the new album played little role in them purchasing the box.

What would have happened if Gunslinger was the primary or sole focus? Had he pushed the new record as hard as he pushed that box it may have sold like the box. The single might have actually performed better (although the lead single was pretty terrible) and all the media attention would have been on Gunslinger not the box. I get the box was "incentive" to get the casual fans out there to buy the new album, but I think it very much hurt the impact the new album could have had.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    Because of the album being a part of a 10 disc box I feel like it got totally eaten up in the promotion of the Target box. He was so concerned with selling the box Gunslinger was almost an after thought. I've never seen a new album by a superstar level performer treated so flippantly. The guy even appeared on Kimmel and played old songs while having a brand new album out. To me that is crazy.

My point is, yes, I think more people heard it because of the set. However, I don't think the album made much of an impact. It got lost in the shuffle and I think for the casual listener, which is who the box was aimed at, that the new album played little role in them purchasing the box.
    But that's 2017 Garth for ya, IMO: More concerned with overall RIAA totals, and no faith whatsoever in anything newer than Sevens.

I think Garth viewed focusing on promoting the box as an all around win-win. Since GS was in the box, he got credit for GS sales every time someone purchased a box plus credit for 9 other albums as well. Also, since Target purchased and shipped a million boxes, GS was guaranteed to be certified platinum, so he didn't feel like he had to work super hard to promote GS on its own. Another factor is that since the box was a Target exclusive and the GS standalone release wasn't, he perhaps felt obligated to focus on promoting the Target box since Target had stuck its neck out for him and put its own money and reputation on the line. Lastly, since box had the deluxe version of the album, Garth likely felt that it was the better value for the consumer to get that version instead of the standalone.

All of those reasons are pretty reasonable.

But the biggest factor, to me, is that ever since he retired, Garth does not seem to have any faith whatsoever in any of his new stuff by itself. The live show barely features anything from Scarecrow through GS except for BLLDAD, AMHIK, and an occasional housekeeping song here and there. Even then, both MAM and BLLDAD as the openers were very truncated versions of the songs.

At the Ryman, he flat out said that he's "scared to death to play new stuff." IMO, the 91-98 Garth who learned to play sax so he could play the non-single, One Night a Day, during the live show NEVER would have said that. Back then, he was excited to play new stuff.

Since he retired, though, I honestly think Garth sees himself as a legacy or nostalgia act.

So while I agree with you that GS seemed to get lost in the overall promotion for the box, I think Garth is okay with that since in his mind, people only care about the old stuff anyway.
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 04-20-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    But that's 2017 Garth for ya, IMO: More concerned with overall RIAA totals, and no faith whatsoever in anything newer than Sevens.

I think Garth viewed focusing on promoting the box as an all around win-win. Since GS was in the box, he got credit for GS sales every time someone purchased a box plus credit for 9 other albums as well. Also, since Target purchased and shipped a million boxes, GS was guaranteed to be certified platinum, so he didn't feel like he had to work super hard to promote GS on its own. Another factor is that since the box was a Target exclusive and the GS standalone release wasn't, he perhaps felt obligated to focus on promoting the Target box since Target had stuck its neck out for him and put its own money and reputation on the line. Lastly, since box had the deluxe version of the album, Garth likely felt that it was the better value for the consumer to get that version instead of the standalone.

All of those reasons are pretty reasonable.

But the biggest factor, to me, is that ever since he retired, Garth does not seem to have any faith whatsoever in any of his new stuff by itself. The live show barely features anything from Scarecrow through GS except for BLLDAD, AMHIK, and an occasional housekeeping song here and there. Even then, both MAM and BLLDAD as the openers were very truncated versions of the songs.

At the Ryman, he flat out said that he's "scared to death to play new stuff." IMO, the 91-98 Garth who learned to play sax so he could play the non-single, One Night a Day, during the live show NEVER would have said that. Back then, he was excited to play new stuff.

Since he retired, though, I honestly think Garth sees himself as a legacy or nostalgia act.

So while I agree with you that GS seemed to get lost in the overall promotion for the box, I think Garth is okay with that since in his mind, people only care about the old stuff anyway.
    I think I basically agree with everything you said. It's just really sad to me. I do think Garth could potentially be a force in mainstream country music again if he played his cards right. If he got involved in digital sales and streaming (and not just with Amazon) and really entered the 2017 world that we live in. The problem is he is totally unwilling to do that. I know he is a force on the road, but I question how much people will care after this "comeback" tour. Once everyone that wants to see him gets to I can't imagine he sells out multiple nights in every city. I think that is why he is thinking about doing festivals. One - touring is hard. Two - He can be a nostalgia act.

As I said above, that is sad because I don't think it has to be that way, but if he continues to live in the 90s, and off past glories, it will be.

The problem is he is totally unwilling to do that. I know he is a force on the road, but I question how much people will care after this "comeback" tour. Once everyone that wants to see him gets to I can't imagine he sells out multiple nights in every city. I think that is why he is thinking about doing festivals. One - touring is hard. Two - He can be a nostalgia act.
    Well, on that front I think Garth is like the Stones, and will always a force on the road regardless of whether his new albums sell 15 copies or 15 million. Maybe he'll only sell out 5 shows in Chicago next time instead of 10, but that'd still be impressive. I don't think Luke Bryan or Carrie Underwood could do it.

Well, on that front I think Garth is like the Stones, and will always a force on the road regardless of whether his new albums sell 15 copies or 15 million. Maybe he'll only sell out 5 shows in Chicago next time instead of 10, but that'd still be impressive. I don't think Luke Bryan or Carrie Underwood could do it.
    As a fan of Garth, I hope you are right. I'm not convinced though. Sure, he will always be able to sell out arenas no matter when or where he plays, but I'm just not sure the demand will be like this next time around. For almost all the cities on this current tour it has been close to 20 years since he has played there. There are a TON of "casual" fans that are there for the experience and want to say "I saw Garth." How many of these people are repeat customers and will return over and over again? 3 years from now if he has had no big hits and nothing has really changed in his career I don't see him selling out 5 shows in every city he plays. Even the biggest, hottest, most active acts can't do that and I don't think Garth can once he has saturated the US market after his almost 20 year lay off. I just don't think it is realistic. Like I said, I'm not saying no one will come. I just think there is a big difference in selling 100,000 tickets in a market and selling 20,000. After this 20 years worth of pent up demand is satisfied I don't think that is there. I think this is EXACTLY the reason he is looking at doing festivals.

As a fan of Garth, I hope you are right. I'm not convinced though. Sure, he will always be able to sell out arenas no matter when or where he plays, but I'm just not sure the demand will be like this next time around. For almost all the cities on this current tour it has been close to 20 years since he has played there. There are a TON of "casual" fans that are there for the experience and want to say "I saw Garth." How many of these people are repeat customers and will return over and over again? 3 years from now if he has had no big hits and nothing has really changed in his career I don't see him selling out 5 shows in every city he plays. Even the biggest, hottest, most active acts can't do that and I don't think Garth can once he has saturated the US market after his almost 20 year lay off. I just don't think it is realistic. Like I said, I'm not saying no one will come. I just think there is a big difference in selling 100,000 tickets in a market and selling 20,000. After this 20 years worth of pent up demand is satisfied I don't think that is there. I think this is EXACTLY the reason he is looking at doing festivals.
    As I was reading your post, it struck me that you're right about the demand for this tour being so high because he had been away almost 20 years. So the cynical side of me wonders if maybe just maybe that's why, as this tour is winding down, he's starting to say that he may not tour again like this: to create and build hype so that when he does announce another tour in 2-3 years, people will feel like they really need to go because hey, it might be the last time.

Supply and demand is a basic marketing principle. Supply for seeing Garth live for the past 20 years was low, so demand for this tour was high. But now that he's touring again and there is plenty of supply, demand will shrink over time unless you make people think that supply could be low again soon.

As I was reading your post, it struck me that you're right about the demand for this tour being so high because he had been away almost 20 years. So the cynical side of me wonders if maybe just maybe that's why, as this tour is winding down, he's starting to say that he may not tour again like this: to create and build hype so that when he does announce another tour in 2-3 years, people will feel like they really need to go because hey, it might be the last time.

Supply and demand is a basic marketing principle. Supply for seeing Garth live for the past 20 years was low, so demand for this tour was high. But now that he's touring again and there is plenty of supply, demand will shrink over time unless you make people think that supply could be low again soon.
    I think you are spot on! Fabulous point. I don't want to be cynical, but it is interesting he has started this talk of not touring like this again. I'm not sure whether I think he is a genius, manipulative, or both.

+ Reply to Thread