+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are diamond awards the new goal?

Are diamond awards the new goal?

I got to thinking after reading someone's post that Garth was probably satisfied with being certified with a million sold for Gunslinger. What if Garth is wanting to get his catalog of albums up into Diamond status area at the RIAA. He has seven diamond awards and it would be nice to see Fresh Horses make the grade (my favorite). I know the McDonalds and Chris Gaines albums will not make the grade. Will be interesting to see.

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I got to thinking after reading someone's post that Garth was probably satisfied with being certified with a million sold for Gunslinger. What if Garth is wanting to get his catalog of albums up into Diamond status area at the RIAA. He has seven diamond awards and it would be nice to see Fresh Horses make the grade (my favorite). I know the McDonalds and Chris Gaines albums will not make the grade. Will be interesting to see.
    The only albums that I think have a realistic chance of still going Diamond are The Chase (last certified at 9 million in 2006) and In Pieces (last certified at 8 million in 1998). Source

Fresh Horses is at 7 million, last certified in 2006. Although I love that album too, I just don't think it can get the 3 additional million it would need to get there.

If he was focused on getting albums to diamond status, wouldn't he have included those albums in the Target boxed set?

I don't think he would have included them in the recent boxed set. I think the next step for the older albums is a collectors box like you see for The Who, the Eagles and a variety of older acts. Special packaging, with a special booklet but not like previous boxed sets. Only so many copies made with numbered editions. I remember looking all over for the lowest numbered copies of the two I bought of the Eagles. Still have mine. They included Xmas song in it. I can see Garth doing a boxed set that includes Beyond the Season and maybe covering the first 7 albums with the BTS and McDonalds albums included with maybe The Hits. Maybe a box shaped like a beer cooler or something. I've seen juke boxes and other stuff as holders . The Ultimate gift for the Garth fan and collector. If he really wants to push numbers maybe a boxed set of LP's. That would be cool. When you look at the big picture, we have 315 billion people in the United States and only 148 million have a Garth album. That means there is a lot of people who haven't got Garth. :-) But seriously, I think he will want those 3 to make Diamond status. I mean he had a purple t-shirt in his shop to commemorate the 7 Diamonds ( I have mine) he has accumulated. And on another note, I hope he bundles the 3 Christmas albums next year for those who didn't have the first two.

I think he should release all his albums on vinyl. I'm thinking that could generate some serious sales. I'd buy them all.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBarton View Post
    I think he should release all his albums on vinyl. I'm thinking that could generate some serious sales. I'd buy them all.
    That would be a dream !!!! I'd love that
    In the land, of the midnight sun!

For what it's worth, I don't think boxed sets with the albums would do very well anymore, no matter how nice the box is, or even how inexpensive it is.

I just think that whoever wants the albums, has them. Just my opinion though.

Even if he did vinyl, he wouldn't press a million of em...

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    For what it's worth, I don't think boxed sets with the albums would do very well anymore, no matter how nice the box is, or even how inexpensive it is.

I just think that whoever wants the albums, has them. Just my opinion though.

Btw... my comment was referring to a CD box. A vinyl box could do quite well, actually.

Considering the fact that Garth boxes don't move what they used to, see TUC being reduced to less than a dollar a disc at Target. I really hope he's done with the sets and the records, just get back to being a great album artist and keep putting on great shows. He's cheapening his legacy and becoming a joke on social media with pics of dozens of unsold boxsets being shared.

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post

I'm not so sure about that

There's not that much demand for it. Yes, it has grown in recent years but any record store only carries 1 maybe two copies of any title, add that to the price running from $10 to $25 apiece, it'd be ludicrous of him.

There's not that much demand for it. Yes, it has grown in recent years but any record store only carries 1 maybe two copies of any title, add that to the price running from $10 to $25 apiece, it'd be ludicrous of him.
    I agree. I think Garth's older albums on vinyl would sell "well", but only in terms of vinyl sales, and as you said, there's no way that would translate into millions of additional copies being sold.

Although, he might print a million of each album just to get the certifications.

That's the thing about the RIAA only counting shipments instead of sales. It's not really a true accurate reflection of an artist's popularity, and its system can be easily manipulated, as the BIAOMR and TUC boxed sets demonstrated. I guess the check on the system is that retailers have to actually purchase 1 million copies of the boxes wholesale in order for them to be considered "shipped."

One could argue there's not that much demand for cds too ..just saying.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Sure, could make that argument. There's not much demand (or as much as there was) for physical media period- it's going the way of streaming nowadays it seems.. heck, that's Garth's boneheaded move with apple (that's been rectified somewhat via amazon, and I admit I like their offering physical media TOO)

But, the point (if I may, Bitter) I think Bitter may be making is that there's really not THAT much of a demand for Vinyl.. not on the order that there would need to make it a viable source. Sure, you have niche stores, and local record stores, etc.. carrying things. (not a lot, but some.) you get some stores like 2nd and Charles (a pop culture HEAVEN!) that carry some vinyl (older, not usually brand new).. but have you seen store upon store, or big box stores like walmart/target... or huge portions of Barnes and noble (I see a tiny smattering of vinyl records there) .. or heck ,do you see many different turntables/vinyl players being advertised/sold in stores? no.. that ship has sailed... theres not a huge demand for it

(ok, i was a bit wordy but I have my coffee for the AM and I don't have to work for 3 hours- whatcha gonna do)
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Exactly my point, if he's not moving that many CDs, he wouldn't press that much vinyl. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see them released. Even though I already have the first five albums on vinyl. That's why I keep bringing up THE HITS, and how cool it would be to do that one instead....

Seems pretty simple ...

Make vinyl an Amazon exclusive .

+ Reply to Thread