+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Garth #2 on billboard country chart

Garth #2 on billboard country chart

Garth's boxed set moved up to #2 on the country chart, up from #4. With sales predicted at 30,000 or more next week, he could capture the #1 spot again. He also has a second album doing well, The Ultimate Hits. It dropped 3 spots from #28 to #31. Still a good showing for the album. No n of the stan alone Gunslinger in the top 50. I wonder how Gunslingers sales would be if the boxed set wasn't available? I also wonder how sales will be next week if the boxed set hits #1. And like I always mention, how many boxed sets are left?

Didn't notice it but it looks like Little Big Town will be #1.

Since all titles were certified platinum weeks after release it's safe to say Target bought 1 million boxes
    I figure they're still about 500k sets cluttering Target stores but none at mine !

I'd say it's alot less right now with the new price and it's been out around 3 months. Anyways, it's good to see it close to the top still:-)

I may be wrong but I think he had about 500,000 around New Year's and its been selling about 15-25 thousand a week since then so I am guessing around 700,000. Plus looking at what his previous boxed sets are going for on Amazon, I bet a lot of people may be buying extra copies for the future. LOL. I saw a copy of the boxed set at 30+ and wanted to shout to people, get it for $9 at Target right now.

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    I may be wrong but I think he had about 500,000 around New Year's and its been selling about 15-25 thousand a week since then so I am guessing around 700,000. Plus looking at what his previous boxed sets are going for on Amazon, I bet a lot of people may be buying extra copies for the future. LOL. I saw a copy of the boxed set at 30+ and wanted to shout to people, get it for $9 at Target right now.
    Not according to Roughstock, it wasn't at 500K 3 weeks ago but I'm sure the Target blowout sell will get it the numbers up, I mean you can literally get this for cheaper than the Ultimate Hits 3 CD/DVD set.

How many did Roughstock have it at?

These deals with exclusive retailers are fascinating to me. I wonder how much Target bought the 1 million boxes for? I'm not a business man, but if they bought 1 million and only sold half of that it makes you wonder if they turned a significant profit on this endeavor. I have no idea if it is true, but I heard that Wal-Mart was disappointed with sales of the Blame It All On My Roots box which is why they wouldn't buy in on this one. Not to be overly obvious, but if these deals are making money for the retailer then this whole box set thing will probably continue. If they are not he may have trouble getting another retailer to buy in with two boxes in a row selling slower than expected. Garth is obviously making big money on these deals because he is in essence selling one million on the front end regardless of how they sell.

I think the stores do it more as a loss leader item. They just want to get people into store to buy a copy and hope they pick up other stuff they need. It worked on me. I did most of my major Christmas shopping at Target when I picked up my copies of the boxed set. I bought my Mom a record player and sound bar, two blu rays etc. Made shopping easier. I bought one boxed set as the bundle and when they asked for feedback I said if they have Garth music I will do most of my holiday shopping there. Blame It All On My Roots seemed to sell well. I had trouble finding extra copies. I think everyone made out ok. Target got people in the store, Garth got 1 million certification, advertising etc.

Garth owns his masters so if he was able to waive his performance royalties thEn it's safe to say they'd only be on the hook for manufacturing & publishing.

And as it's been confirmed in the past, songwriters are almost always willing to take a paycut when it comes to GB since he's a guaranteed seller.

Songwriter Pat Alger, who co-wrote two songs on No Fences, stresses he believes new material should be paid at the full royalty rate, but he has no problem with the discount on the older material. “Garth Brooks has done more to generate income from these songs than anybody else. On the first several uses, we got paid full rate and then he started coming up with different packages -- this may be the sixth or seventh time he’s found a way to re-energize this 25-year-old material,” he says. “In a day when 50,000 sales really impresses somebody, we’re being guaranteed over a million sales on this. As a songwriter who has watched his income diminish, to give a half rate to someone who’s going to guarantee me a million or a million and a half copies, doesn’t seem like I’m giving up much.”

A great read if some of you missed it :0
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...oyalty-dispute
    Last edited by CER956; 03-02-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks. :-) So maybe Garth is set for a long run at top of country charts. With 500,000 left to sell at 8.98 could keep him around for a bit and if the single keeps moving up...Will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks. :-)

L looked at the Roughstock chart and was a little confused. They had the Ultimate Hits with only 3 million sold. That can't be accurate. I wonder what parameters they use for counting?

I wonder if its just one of the two versions that's selling more and is what they are counting?

Garth dropped to #3 on this week's Billboard Country Chart from #2 with the boxed set. The Ultimate Hits moved up a notch to #30 to keep Garth in the top 30 with two albums. I am surprised that Gunslinger is still not getting any love. Maybe with the new single coming out it will help with sales. Personally I really think a Deluxe Edition will help, I don't see Garth leaving Gunslinger as his one of his lowest selling albums. Release a version with We Shall Be Free, Friends in Low Places etc. Maybe a special cover with a limited edition. Who knows? I am also wondering when he will update RIAA on his catalog. He has been selling updated digital and hard copy albums since 2014 so he must have added to those totals and he has the anniversary cover of Double Live.

Quote Originally Posted by gbkubfan View Post
    Garth dropped to #3 on this week's Billboard Country Chart from #2 with the boxed set. The Ultimate Hits moved up a notch to #30 to keep Garth in the top 30 with two albums. I am surprised that Gunslinger is still not getting any love. Maybe with the new single coming out it will help with sales. Personally I really think a Deluxe Edition will help, I don't see Garth leaving Gunslinger as his one of his lowest selling albums. Release a version with We Shall Be Free, Friends in Low Places etc. Maybe a special cover with a limited edition. Who knows? I am also wondering when he will update RIAA on his catalog. He has been selling updated digital and hard copy albums since 2014 so he must have added to those totals and he has the anniversary cover of Double Live.
    Well as it stands Gunslinger is RIAA certified platinum so I'm sure he's content with that, factor in the small sales it has gotten on it's own along with the Christmas Together bundle, so overall Gunslinger has done OK. Oh and however many people bought the GhostTunes bundle would add to the sales as well, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by CER956 View Post
    Well as it stands Gunslinger is RIAA certified platinum so I'm sure he's content with that, factor in the small sales it has gotten on it's own along with the Christmas Together bundle, so overall Gunslinger has done OK. Oh and however many people bought the GhostTunes bundle would add to the sales as well, I believe.
    Exactly. And with the Box being actually cheaper in some Targets than the standalone Gunslinger, it's very possible that the boxed set is doing so well BECAUSE it includes Gunslinger, and a deluxe version of the album at that.

Buzzangle/Hits results are in and Garth sold about 19,000 copies of the boxed set this week. He was #21 on the streaming plus sales chart just behind Little Big Town. He was #6 for album sales ahead of Little Big Town. So it looks like he should be #2 on the Country Charts next week. Still going strong.

Billboard Country Charts updated and Garth still has the #2 album in the country with TUC. He may not be selling singles but his marked down album is selling enough to be #2. And TUH is still selling strong and only dropped a couple notches to #34. I went into Target and couldn't find any Garth on the shelves. Let's see how he fares this week as we get later into the year. Its been out almost 5 months.

Buzzangle results are in and Garth is in for a drop next week on Billboard Country chart. Garth went from no appearance on the streaming plus sales chart and dropped from #6 to #30 on the sales chart. He only sold around 6,000 copies of the boxed set. I wonder if he will start pushing Gunslinger now? Especially with the new single coming out. I wonder if the boxed set will be priced lower to get rid of the last 300,000?

The Ultimate Collection took a big drop this week. It went from #2 on the Billboard Country Chart to #29. But he still has two albums on the chart. The Ultimate Hits only dropped three spots from #34 to #37. No sign of Gunslinger stand alone. But I did see two copies for sale at Target so maybe he is pushing it now that they have a new radio single. The album had a sticker touting BLLDAD. It was priced at $10.

Buzzangle posted the sales for the week and Garth's The Ultimate Collection sold almost 5,000 copies and finished at #30, same as last week. Not good, not bad. Maybe the new single and Garth playing it at concerts will help clear the shelves of TUC and we will see Gunslinger on the shelves.

+ Reply to Thread