+ Reply to Thread

Thread: *SPOILER ALERT* - Reviews for Edmonton Shows

*SPOILER ALERT* - Reviews for Edmonton Shows

Post your reviews and experiences from the Edmonton shows here.

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

i was at opening night last night! As always, a fantastic time! I've already seen him this tour, a couple in Chicago and a few in Vegas last year. So it was pretty similar, right down to his talks. but I'm cool with that! I always enjoy him the place was on fire, as expected. I had hoped maybe after Fire he'd come out for one more, but, didn't. oh well. I will be going Thursday too.
    setlist was:

Baby Let's Lay Down And Dance
    Rodeo
    Two of a Kind
    Beaches of Cheyenne
    The River
    Two Pina Coladas
    Papa Loved Mama
    Ain't Goin Down til The Sun Comes Up
    Unanswered Prayers
    That Summer
    Thunder Rolls
    In Anothers Eyes (duet w/Trish)

<trish set>

Shameless
    Baton rouge
    Friends ILP
    The Dance

(encore request section)
    Red Strokes
    Night Moves (bob seger cover)
    Wrapped Up In You
    Much Too Young
    That Ol' Wind

(encore finale)
    Standing Outside The Fire

Very cool! Thank you.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Hmm... with http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/garth-...-43cfb3ab.html as a reference (to a show I may have audio of- have to see which one it was, but it's that date..)

the ONLY differences in a timeframe of over 2 years....

BLLDAD replaced Man Against Machine as opener
    2PC replaced Papa Loved Mama
    People Loving People removed at song #11
    Shameless and Callin' Baton Rouge switch places

pre Encore..... THAT'S IT..

This is not a tour that seems to grow any legacy, sell albums, you name it. It's (I think) as I said it might (or Garth might) end up being. A Nostalgia Act.... This will be good for the short term, but I'd be wiling to bet IF he comes around again.... w/o changing things up more than this? it will not be as successful.. perhaps that's why the "snub" from the ACM's.... at least a good reason...

Don't get me wrong, the request section? looks awesome.. I'd love to hear Garth again... (saw 3 of the 9 shows in Denver...) I'd still get tix in a heartbeat... but I don't know if I can look at this anymore as a 'comeback' or a 'welcome to the 2nd half of the career' or whatever else may have been the calling card of the tour...

kinda disappointing... THERE's ROOM FOR GROWTH AND HOPE THOUGH ITS NOT ALL NEGATIVE... Garth, gotta make some changes, IF growth is a desired outcome.... if spreading music is any type of outcome.. If anything other than resting on your laurels is a desire..

ok temp. soapbox over
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I have to say that I agree with a lot of what Skywise says above. I see some positive and negatives to this tour. The positive has to be the encore/request segment. This segment has just been awesome and it seems to have gotten better and longer in recent days. I went to the last two shows in Memphis and here were the encores.

Saturday 3:30 PM show
    23. Burning Bridges
    24. A Friend To Me
    25. The Fever
    26. More Than A Memory
    27. Walkaway Joe (w/Trisha Yearwood)
    28. Standing Outside The Fire

Saturday, 7:30 PM
    23. You Move Me
    24. New Way To Fly
    25. She's Every Woman
    26. Wrapped Up In You
    27. What She's Doing Now
    28. Piano Man (Billy Joel cover)
    29. Standing Outside The Fire
    33. He Stopped Loving Her Today (George Jones cover)
    34. Fightin' Side of Me (Merle Haggard cover)
    35. Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off (Joe Nichols cover)
    36. American Pie (Don McLean cover)

I'm not sure how any reasonable Garth fan can be disappointed with those encores. It is the main set though that I think could use some changing up every now and then. The reality is it is the same 17 or so songs every single night. Sure, I get occasionally he might add a song or two (we got "Whiskey To Wine" during the main set during that 7:30 Memphis show), but there are very few changes.

I understand and expect that most of those songs are "must plays", but even a little changing up would be a huge improvement. I have gone to 26 shows over the years, not counting dozens of other appearances (TV shows, Opry, CMA Fest, benefits, etc.) and there are tons of singles that almost never get any love. Songs like "Not Counting You" (yes, I know he supposedly hates this song), "What She's Doing Now", "Somewhere Other Than The Night", "Learning To Live Again", "AHBA", "One Night A Day", "She's Every Woman", "It's Midnight Cinderella", "That Ol' Wind", "She's Gonna Make It", "You Move Me", "It's Your Song", "Wild Horses" and "Wrapped Up In You" are all TOP 10 HITS that never get played unless they are sign requests!

There are also songs that seem to get played sparingly like "Much Too Young", "We Shall Be Free", "The Fever" (played sparingly now, but was a staple), "To Make You Feel My Love", etc. I know these are played, I've seen them, but they are just every now and then.

I haven't even mentioned songs off the new album, singles that weren't Top 10 hits, or favorite album cuts. Shoot, even switching up the duets with Trisha every now and then would be nice. I'd love to see "Squeeze Me In", "Love Will Always Win", or "Where Your Road Leads".

My point is that main set could definitely be changed up/rotated a little. Even if it was only rotating out a couple of hits per night for a couple of other hits. Look, I know it is easy to say that some people will never be satisfied and that is true. I personally am not one of those people. I try to be realistic and reasonable, but if we are honest the core setlist hasn't changed much since the 1996-1998 world tour. If it never changes I will still go and have a blast, but I think he could change it up a little without a lot of effort and please the hardcore fans as well as the casual fan.

One other note, am I the only person who doesn't like Trisha's set in the middle? I wish she would just do an opening set and then come out in the middle of Garth's and do a few duets together. I'm sure I am in the minority here.
    Last edited by rhd13; 02-19-2017 at 07:39 PM.

I agree. The shows are always fun because of the energy of the event, but when there's so many opportunities to mix it up but it's almost always the same set list, it's kinda a let down....

Say what you guys want about Springsteen (I'm an unapologetic fan and if that offends y'all I really don't care), but if you wanna talk about a man whose been around a long time and knows how to keep the concert goers happy is that he caters his shows for both the hardcore fans and the casual ones, sometimes in between his sets he'll take signs in for what might be album cuts or songs he hasn't played in a long time and he'll even bring his full band on these request. Sure those shows lasted four hours at times but he knows how to take care of the people that bought the tickets.

I think Garth would have a better quality tour if he were to follow suit, hell give Trisha a solo spot that would last for an hour and a half maybe two and let Garth do either three or four hours with radio songs and album cuts or if any of his band members have solo stuff of their own, let them play a few songs while giving him a break.

Just my own suggestion to how he can make improvements to the show.

I'm not a huge Springsteen fan, but I have mad respect for the way he does shows. I also think Metallica and Eric Church do this well too. Being a huge Metallica fan I know that over the course of a tour they will play an enormous amount of their catalog. Sure, they always play a handful of their biggest hits every night, but they always find room to rotate a few things in and out. Same for Eric Church. By the time his tour ends he will likely have played every song in his catalog. He's also playing 3 - 3 1/2 hours every night.

As I said before, I know a lot of people will argue that not everyone can be pleased, but I'm not sure I believe that. Reasonable people can be and I believe it is reasonable to expect the setlist not to contain almost the same songs it did in 1996.

The big positive is the house cleaning/request segment. I do think this is Garth's way to cater to some of his more hardcore fans and I love it. I hope that part stays and continues to be as lengthy as it was in Memphis. Now if we can just get a little bit of rotation in the main set the show would be perfect.

Cannot agree more!!! I remember the last time I saw Garth prior to this tour was 1993. The show was a full month before In Pieces came out, but in that show we still got Standing Outside the Fire, AHBA, and One Night a Day. Back then, he promoted his new material in the best possible way: during the live show.

Now, it seems he's terrified to death to play anything newer than Sevens. I get that he wasn't touring during Scarecrow, The Lost Sessions, and The Ultimate Hits, so those songs never had fair chances to become live staples. But with MAM and now GS, he's not really supporting those songs either.

I know his stance about only playing the old stuff, but sheesh, I'm with you guys in that I wish he had the guts to play more new stuff live, and/or that he would mix up the show now and again, rotating other songs into the set once in a while so that every show felt unique.

I think the one-man Vegas shows really trained him (for better or worse) into treating his concerts like a stage play, where it's pretty much the same thing every night. I know the Vegas shows didn't start like that, but that's how they ended up. I think he grew far too complacent with the comfort of just doing the same thing every show.

I guess he would say that the housekeeping portion is what makes each show unique. I just wish the whole show was like that, where you could go to 2-3 shows and see 2-3 different setlists. More than anything, though, I wish he was playing more of the new stuff.

I LOVE his live shows. Even when they remain the same over the last few years.

More different songs would be very cool, but they are not necessary for me to have the best time every time I see him live.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowland_Kid View Post
    I LOVE his live shows. Even when they remain the same over the last few years.

More different songs would be very cool, but they are not necessary for me to have the best time every time I see him live.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. If I didn't love his shows I wouldn't go. Don't want anybody to think I'm a complaining or totally unhappy. I'm not! I've been to 26 shows over the years and 6 on this particular tour (if you count the Ryman and Diamond Celebration as part of the tour). He puts on the best show on the planet! I'm just saying that I think there is some room for improvement in the main set.

I find myself beyond excited for the encore every time and if he adds/changes something during the main set I'm just ecstatic. I know the casual fan doesn't care as long as they get some of the core hits, but for those of us that are hardcore fans and see multiple shows it is nice to see a little variety. I would have to think it is fun for him to play something different every now and then as well. Shoot, I could just go to a show where he did nothing but the encore/request segment for 2 1/2 hours.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. If I didn't love his shows I wouldn't go. Don't want anybody to think I'm a complaining or totally unhappy. I'm not! I've been to 26 shows over the years and 6 on this particular tour (if you count the Ryman and Diamond Celebration as part of the tour). He puts on the best show on the planet! I'm just saying that I think there is some room for improvement in the main set.
    I'd be remiss in my 'objective' portion of fandom man, if I didn't say- don't feel the need to apologize or explain away your thoughts Garth wise. (i.e. 'don't want anybody to think I'm complaining or totally unhappy..')

that being said- I agree.. I don't think anyone who's a fan / wanting to see him live/watching him live are completely unhappy .. Some may complain about the sameness (and that's ok too) but not unhappy...

heck, Seeing KISS would be 'just the same' as it was the last time, or the time before that.. Nostalgia acts are like that.. (but they are greedy and not afraid to just take your $.. Garth cares about the fans... KISS MAY, but they also care about the $)

I find myself beyond excited for the encore every time and if he adds/changes something during the main set I'm just ecstatic. I know the casual fan doesn't care as long as they get some of the core hits, but for those of us that are hardcore fans and see multiple shows it is nice to see a little variety. I would have to think it is fun for him to play something different every now and then as well. Shoot, I could just go to a show where he did nothing but the encore/request segment for 2 1/2 hours.
    lol I hear ya! I def. consider myself more the hardcore fan, though I wish I could afford to go to more shows.. can't afford it.. life trumps Garth unfortunately..
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Looking at the setlists from the last few shows in Edmonton, it looks like he was (understandably) getting pretty tired. Haha!

Ain't Goin Down and Beaches of Cheyenne got cut from the main setlists in several shows and were sometimes brought back for the encores, but sometimes not. If the setlist from the Feb 24 show that I saw is accurate, then those poor folks didn't get any housekeeping. It went from The Dance to SOTF, end of show. On the other hand, if the setlists I'm reading from other shows are accurate, then for some shows he did some of the longest housekeeping segments he's ever done.

I am a rare millennial Garth fan. A lot of my musical tastes are "Older", meaning guys that are around but not touring or 'up to snuff' in their work today as in their heyday. I absolutely, unapologetically love that these concerts are mirroring the 90's structure. It's like I finally get to step into the television. A New York show on a big stage with 100+ ft wings? Check. In the round staging with multi-levels? check. He did Night Moves and We Shall Be Free (FULL BAND) on Rain Night in Yankee Stadium. In the 4 shows I have seen, I've heard him do Beaches of Cheyenne , To Make You Feel My Love, and If Tomorrow Never Comes. I am thrilled. The only songs I would want to hear him do are AHBA and American Pie. (Oh and Sugarcane cuz…that's just hysterical).

I cannot tell you what a full-circle moment it was for me to be at Yankee Stadium, with a similar set up to Central Park (the very video performance that gave me a passion for the entertainment industry) and to have Yankee Stadium feel much like that tape from 20 years ago. While others my age are inspired by Gaga, and Usher, and others that are still in their 'heyday', for once in my life, I get to see my hero do a show just like he did in his prime.
    Last edited by gbfansince3; 03-04-2017 at 01:45 AM.
    Matt
    "Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire"-GB

+ Reply to Thread