+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gospel album

Gospel album

I would just love for Garth to do a gospel album. Many country artists have done it. Reba's just came out. Randy Travis has done quite a few. Diamond Rio, RVS, Billy Ray Cyrus, Alan Jackson to name a few have all made great gospel albums. What do you all think?

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Hmm... on one hand, I like the idea.. on another hand... this is another journey down the path of 'doing what other artists have done' that Garth simply isn't going to do- his track record doesn't show him being one to follow the ideas of others... good or bad....

Garth talks about God.. certainly.. I wonder if his spiritual view is in line with a true/traditional gospel album though.. just a thought..

if it were to happen? would be interesting, for certain- I don't know if I see it selling well outside of core fans who want to get all garth releases... but still an interesting idea
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Garth talks about God.. certainly.. I wonder if his spiritual view is in line with a true/traditional gospel album though.. just a thought..

if it were to happen? would be interesting, for certain- I don't know if I see it selling well outside of core fans who want to get all garth releases... but still an interesting idea
    I've often wondered the same thing about where he is in his walk. While he talks about God, it's usually in generalities. You never here anything about salvation or conviction. Good point.

I also agree that if he did, in fact, do one, it certainly wouldn't sell very well. Most country artists that travel down this path, usually do it towards the end or at the end of their careers. While I certainly believe Garth is nearing the end, he certainly does not.

good point(s), Charlie.. good point(s)....

I honestly don't know where I'd say that Garth stands spiritually. . HIS assessment of where he stands may not align with scripture.. (At least thats my casual thought..) but...

I do remember Alan Jackson's 2 albums (Precious memories Vol. 1 and 2..) NOT That I'm saying Garth should do something like that (heaven knows I'm not one to jump on the 'because other artists do it Garth should' bandwagon... ) those albums didn't sell TERRIBLY well, if memory serves but they had some nice songs..

Heck I'd be all for 'Garth: Unplugged' over a gospel album (yes I know country's not 'plugged in' to the level Rock is.. BUT I'm talking a Garth album- just him and the guitar.. kinda along the lines of his Vegas show, but maybe ... MAYBE just focusing on songs he's written...

ehh we can dream can't we? (closest I have to that really is the CD I ripped from the Vegas DVD)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Heck I'd be all for 'Garth: Unplugged' over a gospel album (yes I know country's not 'plugged in' to the level Rock is.. BUT I'm talking a Garth album- just him and the guitar.. kinda along the lines of his Vegas show, but maybe ... MAYBE just focusing on songs he's written...

ehh we can dream can't we? (closest I have to that really is the CD I ripped from the Vegas DVD)
    I think a Garth Unplugged album would be simply amazing

As long as I can recall, I've heard/read about him thanking God, referencing God, the Lord and whatnot. But I don't think I've heard him actually use the name of Jesus (except in the Vegas DVD when he does part of one of James Taylor's songs). Now, I may be forgetting stuff cause my memory isn't great and it's almost 1:30 A.M. here, so don't take my ramblings too seriously right now, but I'm kinda wondering what denomination he grew up with/embraces. Not that it's particularly important, I'm just curious lol.

As for Garth: Unplugged, I'd buy that, absolutely. Almost like a studio version of the music from the Wynn concerts.
    "Life is not tried if you're standing outside the fire."

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy101816 View Post
    As long as I can recall, I've heard/read about him thanking God, referencing God, the Lord and whatnot. But I don't think I've heard him actually use the name of Jesus (except in the Vegas DVD when he does part of one of James Taylor's songs). Now, I may be forgetting stuff cause my memory isn't great and it's almost 1:30 A.M. here, so don't take my ramblings too seriously right now, but I'm kinda wondering what denomination he grew up with/embraces. Not that it's particularly important, I'm just curious lol.

As for Garth: Unplugged, I'd buy that, absolutely. Almost like a studio version of the music from the Wynn concerts.
    I've heard he grew up Catholic. He and Trisha were married in a Baptist church.
    I agree with the generalities. I think he thanks God because he is humble. But you can't say his music is consistent with Christian themes other than the love one another part.

That would make sense, and it's what I was thinking, but I didn't wanna assume. Still, back to the original topic though, if he did decide to do a Gospel album, I'd buy it, I think it'd be interesting. Theoretically, he could put "You Move Me" on it, since it originally is a faith based song.

That's true, I think it was a Susan Ashton Song...

I just don't see Garth doing a gospel album- I'm sure he could hide behind self deprecating commentary about how he's not good enough, etc.. but stilll

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

True, it's not likely.

And you are correct, Susan Ashton originally recorded it in '96 and she had opened for Garth on tour in '94.

A Distant Call is a great album!

I've heard he grew up Catholic. He and Trisha were married in a Baptist church.
    His Mum was Catholic; being divorced she was no longer able to participate in the sacrament. Ray & Colleen didn't raise the children in a church. When Garth moved back to OK one of the conditions of the divorce was that the girls be raised in Sandy's faith; Garth honoured that and became good friends with the pastor, who then married him and Trisha
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

Not like it really in the end even matters, but...

what church/denom/affiliation was the pastor associated with? (it's just trivia at this point honestly..)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by BLL View Post
    His Mum was Catholic; being divorced she was no longer able to participate in the sacrament. Ray & Colleen didn't raise the children in a church. When Garth moved back to OK one of the conditions of the divorce was that the girls be raised in Sandy's faith; Garth honoured that and became good friends with the pastor, who then married him and Trisha
    When you put it that way, it's probably the closest thing to having a family dinner with both your divorced parents, because I imagine that she may have agreed to go to church with him and the kids. Also I've always imagined Garth to be a civilized man when it comes to his private affairs.

Anyway to put my two cents in, for personal reasons that I prefer not to disclose, this would probably be one Garth album, other than the original Hits album, that I may not buy. Do not ask why because I do not want to cause any conflicts with anybody.

+ Reply to Thread