+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WHY IS The Ultimate Hits still selling?

WHY IS The Ultimate Hits still selling?

I was surprised to see that The Ultimate Hits album is still charting in the Billboard Country top 50 albums. I know its a greatest hits but why has this album continued to do so well so many years after it first was released? I wonder how many more copies of The Hits would have sold if he hadn't stopped making it? And with the new boxed set containing most of the music why wouldn't the buyer want twice as much music for just a fraction more in price? So this got me thinking, is his other albums selling at all? I mean are the digitally remastered albums released in 2014 being sold in stores? Is the new cover of Double Live selling? Is they are, will Garth be updating the numbers with the RIAA? Will he be the first artist to 100 million sold in the soundscan era? Personally I did buy a copy of TUH because I had a hole in my collection. I saw it, saw the 2016 date on the back and the price was affordable (Wally World) and it is now in my collection. So are these sales part of the 10 million he was certified with last year or is Garth adding to its total? I was just curious and wanted to get others opinions.

I've seen both the 2 disc and 3 disc versions at Walmart. I think him touring and focusing on the hits have helped it keep selling. I know The Hits sold 10 million faster than any album (at the time, atleast). I have also seen a few of the remastered cds in stores, one had them for $5 a piece. I think he is done with the first Double Live since he's happy with the numbers it has, and is now focused on the new live album this fall.

As I have seen at the concerts I've gone to in all of the cities he has toured in Texas, there are a LOT of young people at the concerts. I wouldn't be surprised if they are then going out and buying his music after experiencing his concert.

I've never seen TUH without the DVD but you get 30+ hits and a DVD for less than $12 bucks while he's still breaking records with 80% of the audience going just to hear the songs on TUH....it's not rocket science.

Also I've never seen stores run out of TUH since it was released 10 years ago, it's like the country version of Beatles 1.

Walmart here has just the 2 disc for $7. I think the DVD version was $11.88.

I'd guess it's new digital availability it playing a part in sales.

+ Reply to Thread