+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Opener

New Opener

If I heard him correctly, Garth said tonight on Studio G that in Cincinnati the show would be opening with a song off of Gunslinger. Any guesses? Pure Adrenaline? Should be interesting, since everything will have to change.

I thought he said in October that the new opener would not be from Gunslinger, but from the next album after Gunslinger.

I posted in the Cincinnati thread about him mentioning it last week. He did indeed say it would be from Gunslinger. I'd love for it to be Honkeytonk Somewhere, but I'd bet it'd be Pure Adrenaline.

Weekend would be fitting since pretty much all of his shows are on the weekend, but it's doesn't have what it takes to open a show. It almost has to the Pure Adrenaline.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckStreetCowboy View Post
    I posted in the Cincinnati thread about him mentioning it last week. He did indeed say it would be from Gunslinger. I'd love for it to be Honkeytonk Somewhere, but I'd bet it'd be Pure Adrenaline.
    I agree that it'll most likely be Pure Adrenaline since it's so similar to MAM, but please oh please be HHS. That song HAS to be in the live show.

I bought tickets for one of the recent Richmond shows in hopes of hearing some of the new songs, but alas. Super jealous of the Cincy folks.

Was thinking today....for as far back as many tours as I can remember, Garth has always opened with the first track from the new album...right? That would mean Honkytonk Somewhere as the new opener?

Hmm, I didn't think about that! The plot thickens.

Should be interesting. I can almost envision a black arena, and then a sudden light followed by, "Help me 911 operator..."

Guess we'll see.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    hmm- I don't know if that's true or not (about the openers being off each albums' first track), doesn't nec. seem to be a total fix.. Then again, I saw Garth in 2015, but before that it was 1996..

Hmm- World Tour II seemed to start with The Old Stuff... My 1994 concert form birmingham England starts with SOTF

I seem to remember that also being the case (maybe) with pueblo CO in 1993

I know 1996 opened with The piano and 'the old stuff' but I was better prepared for that one..

1992? I don't remember that far back, only that it was the first show of the ropin the wind tour.. I read that some stops opened with Rodeo- which would make the idea of first track being album openers moot.. (at least a whole, since the only place I ever heard Garth sing against the grain live was a tv special from disney (and that may have been lip synched)

I'll have to go back and look at my cd's and see if I have the 1990 shows I have (think I have 2) transferred to CD yet... ehh something to think about at least...
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I think the thinking of openers for the tour was geared towards the juggernought of GB and how it's set up now and not the first few years where it wasn't such a production. Either way, we will find out in a few weeks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    hmm- I don't know if that's true or not (about the openers being off each albums' first track), doesn't nec. seem to be a total fix.. Then again, I saw Garth in 2015, but before that it was 1996..

Hmm- World Tour II seemed to start with The Old Stuff... My 1994 concert form birmingham England starts with SOTF

I seem to remember that also being the case (maybe) with pueblo CO in 1993

I know 1996 opened with The piano and 'the old stuff' but I was better prepared for that one..

1992? I don't remember that far back, only that it was the first show of the ropin the wind tour.. I read that some stops opened with Rodeo- which would make the idea of first track being album openers moot.. (at least a whole, since the only place I ever heard Garth sing against the grain live was a tv special from disney (and that may have been lip synched)

I'll have to go back and look at my cd's and see if I have the 1990 shows I have (think I have 2) transferred to CD yet... ehh something to think about at least...
    "This is Garth Brooks" TV special started with "Not Counting You." Again, a first track. I guess I'll rephrase and say "a VERY large majority of tours" open with the first track of the new album. Exceptions would be on-off things..like the 9 shows in KC in 07/LA Shows/Nashville Flood shows. However, I don't consider that a tour.

Glad that he's switching up the opening song. MAM always seemed anti-climactic when they broke into it the song... not the best opener for Garth. The Old Stuff was always my favorite opening tune. Gotta have something that either people recognize or that has a lot of tension/energy to set the energy in the arena off right.

Not a fan of using baby let's lay down and dance as the opener. It's just not the right kind of 'get your blood pumping' tune. I liked Man Against Machine, though not a fan of the info part. It would work with the new intro that the band plays instead of the 'Papa...' intro. After seeing the Atlanta show with Charlie Daniels I thought it would be cool to see him cover Hank Jr's All my rowdy friends are coming' over tonight as an opener. Won't happen, but I think it would be great. Given the theme of these shows, The Old Stuff would be a fitting opening, but that would kind of discount the moment where he says 'I pay my money...I come to see the old stuff, so we brought all of our old stuff.'
    Last edited by StormHawk; 11-18-2017 at 12:27 AM.

I'm in total agreement about "Baby Let's Lay Down and Dance". It just doesn't feel right as an opener. Both shows I saw where he opened with it just felt kind of weird. It just didn't have the right "punch". I was at the Atlanta show and "Devil Went Down To Georgia" felt more like the kind of intensity you'd expect from a Garth open, but obviously that was a one-off because of it being a stadium show in Atlanta.

I love the openers on previous tours like "Not Counting You" and "Standing Outside The Fire", but the ultimate Garth opening for me was "The Old Stuff". I don't know how many of you on here got to see that tour, but I was lucky enough to see it 7 times. Everything from the piano coming up through the stage, Dave Gant being a "decoy", and Garth coming through the piano. It was just PERFECT! When you couple that with the actual song itself it just totally set the tone for the evening. I don't know if he will ever be able to find an opener that comes anywhere close to that. It was so good I'd actually be totally fine if he went back to it. Just like Willie always opens with "Whiskey River" that could've been Garth's traditional opener.

Since then it almost feels like Garth has tried to find the "right" song to open, but nothing compares to me. During the KC run he did a snippet of "The Old Stuff", but ultimately opened with "The Fever". After that he used "Rodeo" for the Nashville flood relief shows and then "Man Against Machine" during the first part of the tour. I'd say all were pretty good, but each seemed to not be as perfect as "The Old Stuff". In my opinion, "Baby Let's Lay Down and Dance" is weaker as an opener than any of the songs listed above.

I'd love for him to do something different during the last few shows, but I don't really expect he will.

I suggested The Old Stuff when he asked what he should open with in Atlanta back in October! It is the perfect opener.

I 100% agree. I wonder if there is any video of that *entire* opener. "Ireland and back" cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garthmedic View Post
    I 100% agree. I wonder if there is any video of that *entire* opener. "Ireland and back" cut it.
    The DVD from The Entertainer box set has the entire audio and video cuts to the stage as Garth comes up through the piano. The opening verse is an Ireland montage. Not sure if that is different from the TV special. Is that what you're looking for?

Sort of. I want the whole thing- from the start- not just the sudden "reveal". That's the way I remember it.

The Ireland show does not show anything. It basically just shows him standing on top of the piano if I remember correctly. Iím sure that was done so it wouldnít ďruinĒ the surprise opening for those who hadnít seen the tour. Iíve never seen video of the full open anywhere. Maybe we get to see that in the Anthology video series.

Quote Originally Posted by rhd13 View Post
    The Ireland show does not show anything. It basically just shows him standing on top of the piano if I remember correctly. I’m sure that was done so it wouldn’t “ruin” the surprise opening for those who hadn’t seen the tour. I’ve never seen video of the full open anywhere. Maybe we get to see that in the Anthology video series.
    Exactly as I remember it.

+ Reply to Thread