+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Christmas Together Review

Christmas Together Review

So I bought the new duet album today and took a listen to it on my way home from Target...spoiler alert time: it's very Trisha heavy, meaning there's not enough duetting in this album. For the record I'm not calling it a bad thing, I just want to get that out of the way right now.

But on the plus side, they went the Magic of Christmas route which was obviously a very Jazz heavy album, but at the same time they had the sound where it was mostly light in the Jazz to the point where you could still hear the Country. That being said, the duet with James Taylor is actually pretty well crafted and excellent in sound.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    So I bought the new duet album today and took a listen to it on my way home from Target...spoiler alert time: it's very Trisha heavy, meaning there's not enough duetting in this album. For the record I'm not calling it a bad thing, I just want to get that out of the way right now.
    eh, knowing it was gonna be a duet album Im' not too surprised.

But on the plus side, they went the Magic of Christmas route which was obviously a very Jazz heavy album, but at the same time they had the sound where it was mostly light in the Jazz to the point where you could still hear the Country.
    I won't be listening to the album until the day after thanksgiving (as is my tradition - no christmas music till then) but I'm hoping that this is just an opinion and not a fact- the jazzy, big band type of sound almost ruined TMOC for me.. Country's a lot better...

That being said, the duet with James Taylor is actually pretty well crafted and excellent in sound.
    looking forward to that one
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post

I won't be listening to the album until the day after thanksgiving (as is my tradition - no christmas music till then) but I'm hoping that this is just an opinion and not a fact- the jazzy, big band type of sound almost ruined TMOC for me.. Country's a lot better...

Judge me if you must, but I'm taking a second listen right now so I can judge where they fit in my Magic of Christmas/Beyond the Season playlist that I play with every season.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    Judge me if you must, but I'm taking a second listen right now so I can judge where they fit in my Magic of Christmas/Beyond the Season playlist that I play with every season.
    lol not gonna judge you just hoping that opinions will differ...

I'll know for certain just after thanksgiving (well after thanksgiving dinner that is,- then I will start listening to christmas music)

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

I like the album a little more than I thought I would. What I'm Thankful For really is a fantastic song. I absolutely see why it was saved for last.

Reading through the Amazon reviews, I can't help but find myself confused. A few people have given the album 1-star reviews and claim Garth and Trisha don't sound like themselves. After listening to it a few times, I just can't figure out what they mean.

Well, three Christmas albums and this one easily ranks #3. I feel like I went 0-2 on Friday. LOL, oh well.

This album has zero country feel to it whatsoever. I liked TMOC actually, but I'm really disappointed he didn't return to a more country sound. BTS is an incredible Christmas album in my opinion.

For me, the highlights include Ugly Christmas Sweater, Baby It's Cold Outside and What I'm Thankful For.

As mentioned above, it is really Trisha heavy and I'm also disappointed that there weren't any traditional Christ driven songs as he did on his previous efforts. But that's me.

It's a short album and it contains a lot of new or relatively unknown material. That usually doesn't spell success for Christmas albums.

That being said, it isn't horrible, but it's certainly not up to Garth's standards that he's already set. And it's not country at all.

With the songs that they chose, it feels like they meant for this to be a throwback Christmas record. It sounds predominantly Big band type song. That being said I felt like nothing was going to top "Beyond the Season," as my favorite Christmas song PERIOD is "Unto You The Night." That's still true. This doesn't top Beyond The Season, and actually, it doesn't top The Magic of Christmas either...

I will say though that "What I'm Thankful For" is now my 2nd favorite Garth holiday song out of everything he has ever done. Easily the best song on Christmas Together. James Taylor's voice fit the melody so well and his signature style acoustic pickin' is so easy to pick out as him. Loved it.

I could have done without Feliz Navidad, it really didn't do much for me, and came out kinda gimmicky with the over the top Spanish vibe. I understand it's a spanish song but even the original of this song wasn't this latin flavored.

Ugly Christmas Sweater is a cool little ditty, and is a light hearted Garth type song that fits today's trend of rockin' Ugly Christmas sweaters to "hip." Could tell garth wrote it when i listened, even before I looked at the writer's credits.

Trisha knocked "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?" out of the PARK! Garth was right on when he said that she tore it up and that it was one of his favorites on the record. Probably my 2nd favorite. I also really enjoyed "Hard Candy Christmas," but I think I liked it more because I liked the song anyway, not necessarily something Trisha did to make it stand out.

Final thoughts are that the record is a fun throwback, but it is a tad Trisha heavy like everyone else has said. Not enough "duet" aspects of this album in my opinion.

All in all, I was happy to get in with the Bundle for such a great value, and it will still be played in my car these holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAgnstMachine View Post
    With the songs that they chose, it feels like they meant for this to be a throwback Christmas record. It sounds predominantly Big band type song. That being said I felt like nothing was going to top "Beyond the Season," as my favorite Christmas song PERIOD is "Unto You The Night." That's still true. This doesn't top Beyond The Season, and actually, it doesn't top The Magic of Christmas either...
    Jim, I totally trust your opinions.. unfortunately, knowing that, and knowing that wasn't planning on listening to the album until after thanksgiving.. I have a dilemma now- do I listen anyway and see if I agree, or do I realize that it's likely I'm gonna be kinda 'ugh' on this album...

dang it jim!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Just curious how y'all are coming up with this being a Trisha "heavy" album. They each have the same amount of solo songs (see below).

1. I'm Beginning To See The Light (Duet)

2. Ugly Christmas Sweater (Garth)

3. Santa Baby (Trisha)

4. Feliz Navidad (Garth w/ T on harmonies)

5. What Are You Doing New Year's Eve? (Trisha)

6. Marshmallow World (Duet)

7. Merry Christmas Means I Love You (Garth)

8. Hard Candy Christmas (Trisha)

9. Baby, It's Cold Outside (Duet)

10. The Man With The Bag (Trisha)

11. What I'm Thankful For (The Thanksgiving Song) (with James Taylor) (Garth & James with Trisha and James' wife on barely recognizable harmonies)

By my count that's 4 solos each and 3 duets... hardly Trisha "heavy". That said, I really enjoyed this album for what it was meant for. Garth and Trisha have been saying that the inspiration for the album was something they could play while they decorated the Christmas tree with their girls, so all of the songs were meant to be fun and upbeat. I wanted more duet action, but I suppose I'll have to wait for their next regular music duet album to get more of that.

Some fun new songs and some great classics.
    Last edited by WhitneyW78; 11-13-2016 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post

We agree again! lol I picked it up yesterday along with the Box Set but won't open it until Thanksgiving night or that Friday!

Can anyone confirm if "I'm Beginning To See the Light' is the old Duke Ellington standard? Not exactly a Christmas song, is it?

If I can be pragmatic about this album, I think what gives this album a thumbs up from me is that this is actually one of those rare Christmas albums where not one song made me cringe, I could listen to the entire thing top to bottom and not feel uncomfortable the way I feel when I hear some Christmas song interpretations. That's the primary reason why I don't listen to Holiday radio stations because they're very good at playing those cringe-worthy tunes. I still have not taken a listen to their version of "Feliz Navidad" and refuse to do it because I still stand by my opinion on the song in general being the worst song on the planet, that's why I gave the Christmas Together album a quasi-Chris Gaines feel to it and replaced it with "I Know What Santa's Getting for Christmas" I still think they should've done a version of that one but I digress.

That being said, I can understand some not being outright comfortable with the sound from Magic of Christmas and would prefer a sound similar to Beyond the Season and I agree. But I personally loved Garth's interpretations "Most Wonderful Time of the Year", "The Christmas Song", "Winter Wonderland" and "Little Town of Bethlehem". I am, however, not a huge fan of his interpretations of "Let it Snow" and "Sleigh Ride" I thought he went a little too over the top and have taken them out of my playlist and instead replaced them with songs from Trisha's original Christmas album.

Anyway that's just my take on it.

So some of you guys made custom mixes of Gunslinger on the other thread in order to make the album enjoyable and I myself had made my own personal mix with some third party songs added in. So it's the Christmas season and I still hadn't heard any formal opinions on whether you guys liked the new Christmas album yet but that ain't the point of my post. I've said in the past that since my time in High School I created a playlist that mixed both Magic of Christmas and Beyond the Season into one album. So I figured I'd share my personal list with you guys and see if you like it.

Note: * means Trisha Yearwood song. ** means Christmas Together song
    1. It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
    2. Let It Snow*
    3. Santa Baby**
    4. The Christmas Song
    5. What Are You Doing New Years Eve?**
    6. Baby, It's Cold Outside**
    7. White Christmas
    8. I Know What Santa's Getting for Christmas (Joey+Rory song written by Garth)
    9. Santa Claus is Back in Town*
    10. The Old Man's Back in Town
    11. The Man With The Bag**
    12. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
    13. The Sweetest Gift*
    14. The Gift
    15. Marshmallow World**
    16. Winter Wonderland
    17. Santa Looked a Lot Like Daddy
    18. Ugly Christmas Sweater**
    19. I'm Beginning to See The Light**
    20. Reindeer Boogie*
    21. (There's No Place Like) Home for the Holidays
    22. Silver Bells
    23. Hard Candy Christmas**
    24. The Friendly Beasts
    25. Sweet Little Jesus Boy*
    26. Go Tell It on the Mountain
    27. Merry Christmas Means I Love You**
    28. Silent Night
    29. Unto You This Night
    30. Mary's Dream
    31. What Child Is This
    32. The Journey
    33. O Little Town of Bethlehem
    34. There's a New Kid in Town (I'm adding both Trisha and Alan Jackson's version)
    35. Goodnight Moon (Jack Ingram's song)
    36. Belleau Wood (Garth's Sevens album)
    37. What I'm Thankful For**
    38. Wolves (I think it's a great prayer to help us make it through next year)

Judging by the number of tracks, if any of you making a real CD out of it, you might need two discs for it.

After listening to this CD much more, I have come to like it quite a bit. It still falls short of his two previous efforts in the Christmas genre though.

It plays rather well. I was just hoping for a more country feel and a few songs about the reason for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBarton View Post
    Well, three Christmas albums and this one easily ranks #3. I feel like I went 0-2 on Friday. LOL, oh well.

This album has zero country feel to it whatsoever. I liked TMOC actually, but I'm really disappointed he didn't return to a more country sound. BTS is an incredible Christmas album in my opinion.

For me, the highlights include Ugly Christmas Sweater, Baby It's Cold Outside and What I'm Thankful For.

As mentioned above, it is really Trisha heavy and I'm also disappointed that there weren't any traditional Christ driven songs as he did on his previous efforts. But that's me.

It's a short album and it contains a lot of new or relatively unknown material. That usually doesn't spell success for Christmas albums.

That being said, it isn't horrible, but it's certainly not up to Garth's standards that he's already set. And it's not country at all.
    Actually, songs like "Ugly Christmas Sweater," and "I'm Beginning to See the Light" sound to me more like, if not traditional country, more like early Garth. And closer to traditional country than today's idea of a country (which isn't a bad thing.) The tempo and arrangement of "Ugly Christmas Sweater" reminds me of some of the songs on the very first ever Garth album. It has the kind of lyrics 90s country would have. Of course, you have to picture Trisha as the girl who walks in.

I was so looking forward to "Baby It's Cold Outside,"...and was a little disappointed in that one. This is a song about a guy trying to convince a woman to spend the night with him, and Garth is singing it to Trisha. I was expecting a little more...I don't know...charge, to it, maybe? I have seen them perform it, too, and felt the same thing.

"I'm Beginning to See the Light" isn't very Christmas-y, but it was another one I thought fit them (Trisha "never went in for afterglow" until Garth? ).

Did anyone hear him call her "Trixie" on one of the songs? Well, I can see how that could be a nickname for Patricia / Trisha.

+ Reply to Thread