+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gunslinger Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears New Way to Fly in that song...

"Whiskey to Wine, it's just not the same high....." - "New way to Fly, far away from Goodbye.."

I don't mind the studio version of whiskey to wine myself....
    Has anyone said that they don't like Whiskey to Wine? To me that and Honky Tonk Somewhere are the album's high points (even if I still prefer the Ryman version of WtW).

I still really enjoy this album, and think it's a good solid 8/10. Like I said before, even Bang Bang has grown on me a lot. I dunno, something about this album just feels more consistent and more "Garth" to me than MAM.

Speaking of songs that sound like other songs, anyone else find the chorus of "Cowboys & Friends" similar to "For A Minute There?"

I'm not a fan of Whiskey to Wine myself. I hear what sounds like a 'warble', for lack of a better term, and it drives me insane. I'm also a bit burnt out on hearing Trisha. I need a break.

We re-mixed the album with Machine, to make something to stick in the car. It has a few more songs than I would've included (I would've left out 8teen, Bang Bang, and All-American Kid personally) but this is what we compromised to:

Man Against Machine
    Weekend
    Rodeo & Juliet
    He Really Loves You
    She's Tired of Boys
    Ask Me How I Know
    Cold Like That
    Baby, Let's Lay Down and Dance
    People Loving People
    Pure Adrenaline
    Midnight Train
    8 teen
    -blank-
    Wrong About You
    Bang! Bang!
    All-American Kid
    Sugarcane
    You Wreck Me
    Tacoma

I have to say that in this context it feels more like the two albums combined to give a nice concert flow, and I can appreciate the new tracks better. I still would've left out the three I mentioned above in addition to the ones already omitted, but it makes songs like Weekend, Sugarcane, and Baby, Let's Lay Down far more interesting to me. I also wanted to put 8 teen at track 18 - but it just didn't fit that way for us.

The Rolling Stone review is a little harsh. "He Really Loves You" is an 'embarrassment?''

GhostTunes just put Gunslinger in my Library guys, if you guys ordered the Bundle start checking your Library and see if it's on there

For those like me that bought from Garthbrooks.com, check your e-mail for the download link as well. I received mine.

I may be in the minority but I happened to really love Man Against Machine. There were songs that could've been singles, but G chose to release "PLP" and "Mom" instead. "Gunslinger" has the potential to spawn a few singles that could chart fairly well, in my opinion. Upon finally listening to the whole album a few times now, I really enjoy the first 6 songs on the new album. I wouldn't mind any of them being released as a single. Can't get enough of them! Unfortunately, I really can't listen to "Bang! Bang!" "Pure Adrenaline" or "Sugarcane" without cringing. Not sure what Garth was thinking with those tracks. Gladly, "Cowboys and Friends" is a lovely way to end the album. He sounds like Strait, which would be the ultimate compliment for him.

My rating: 3 1/2 stars out of 5
    "Just keep taking chances and having fun."

So I'm now taking my first listens of the album from top to bottom and followed fences2312's recommendation I arranged the playlist but I also wanted to do my own tweaking and decided to add some songs from different singers but I think Garth would knock out of the park had he made his own versions of them. With that said I'll go ahead and give you guys my own playlist:
    1. Baby Let's Lay Down and Dance (The song I picked to go after this is why I'm putting it on first)
    2. Free (Big Dreams and High Hopes by Jack Ingram)
    3. He Really Loves You
    4. Til it Does (Randy Rogers and Wade Bowen Hold my Beer vol. 1)
    5. Honky Tonk Somewhere
    6. Standards (Randy Rogers and Wade Bowen Hold my Beer vol. 1)
    7. New Way to Fly (No Fences)
    8. Whiskey to Wine
    9. Ask Me How I Know
    10. I Had My Hopes Up High (Randy Rogers and Wade Bowen Hold my Beer vol. 1)
    11. Pure Adrenaline
    12. Cowboys and Friends
    13. Saturday Night (The Given by Wade Bowen)
    14. Eighteen
    15. Crazy Enough (Lost Hotel by Wade Bowen)

I took out both Bang Bang and Weekend because they weren't ones I could feel comfortable with singing in my car. Some of you might be confused as to why I'm adding "Dance" as track number one well what's taking the sting out of that song for me is when I took a listen to He Really Loves You, it also reminded me of "Free" so I had this idea to put all three songs in the order that you see and so far I'm liking it.

I'll give my own track by track review of the album in the near future but in the meantime I'm gonna give this thing a few more listens.

Quote Originally Posted by GarthdaMan View Post
    I may be in the minority but I happened to really love Man Against Machine. There were songs that could've been singles, but G chose to release "PLP" and "Mom" instead.
    I don't think you're alone with this opinion at all! Midnight Train is easily one of my top 5 Garth songs to date! The record had some really good songs on it, but the chioce of singles was pretty poor, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by patszzz0915 View Post
    Anyone have the lyrics for 8Teen yet?
    I typed them out if the Moderators will let me post them here...

yup yup!!

8teen lyrics

Quote Originally Posted by patszzz0915 View Post
    Anyone have the lyrics for 8Teen yet?
    V1:
    Yeah, we took Ventura Highway to the Sunshine State
    Where they raised their hands to Jesus as they passed the plate
    Oh, and every day we spent there was Valentine's Day
    There's a new team, out in Queens
    Eighteen

And "The Girl Made In Japan" was made for me to hold
    When Vincent lent an ear the night the thunder rolled
    And the ride we took to get there was a "Rodeo"
    Big dream, Six String
    Eighteen

Chorus:
    And for everyone born eighteen runnin' wild and free
    From the pearly gates of Heaven to the Fiery Sea
    Know that each will teach a passage to the Trinity
    God's gifts runneth o'er my cup
    Call it a blessing or you call it luck
    It all adds up to Eighteen

V2:
    And we heard about the letters he kept beside his bed
    And how he never could forget her or the words she said
    That will forever be enshrined and underlined in red
    Such sad scenes, so pristine
    Eighteen

And he rode that Silver Bullet 'cross the borderline
    There beneath the maple leaf, inside a Nimbus 9
    And the song he hummed that night moves me every me
    Fourteen, so green
    Eighteen

Chorus:
    Tween the pearly gates of Heaven and the Fiery Sea
    And know that each will teach a passage through the Trinity

Ever frozen now in time
    The night the miracle occurred
    They walked on water in my mind
    JC and Uncle Herb
    Though he never heard the words

Chorus:
    Know that each will teach a passage through the Trinity

Once a Marine, met a Colleen
    but it all adds to Eighteen
    Last edited by ManAgnstMachine; 11-24-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveStrick View Post
    I don't think you're alone with this opinion at all! Midnight Train is easily one of my top 5 Garth songs to date! The record had some really good songs on it, but the chioce of singles was pretty poor, in my opinion.
    Agreed with this!

MAM is the better record IMO

Quote Originally Posted by ManAgnstMachine View Post
    V1:
    Yeah, we took Ventura Highway to the Sunshine State
    Where they raised their hands to Jesus as they passed the plate
    Oh, and every day we spent there was Valentine's Day
    There's a new team, out in Queens
    Eighteen

And "The Girl Made In Japan" was made for me to hold
    When Vincent lent an ear the night the thunder rolled
    And the ride we took to get there was a "Rodeo"
    Big dream, Six String
    Eighteen

Chorus:
    From the pearly gates of Heaven to the Fiery Sea
    Know that each will teach a passage to the Trinity

V2:
    And we heard about the letters he kept beside his bed
    And how he never could forget her or the words she said
    That will forever be enshrined and underlined in red
    Such sad scenes, so pristine
    Eighteen

And he rode that Silver Bullet 'cross the borderline
    There beneath the maple leaf, inside a Nimbus 9
    And the song he hummed that night moves me every me
    Fourteen, so green
    Eighteen

Chorus:
    And know that each will teach a passage through the Trinity

Ever frozen now in time
    The night the miracle occurred
    They walked on water in my mind
    JC and Uncle Herb
    Though he never heard the words

Chorus:
    Know that each will teach a passage through the Trinity

Once a Marine, met a Colleen
    but it all adds to Eighteen
    You got them mostly correct, with a few minor corrections according to the lyrics in the booklet. I am still keeping away from the spoiler thread where the lyrics are being dissected, but there is something Garth is singing as the song fades out that I can't make out. Someone else on another board heard some words that ended with what sounded like "from Miss Norma Jean." Can anyone else with better hearing figure out what he is saying?

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    You got them mostly correct, with a few minor corrections according to the lyrics in the booklet. I am still keeping away from the spoiler thread where the lyrics are being dissected, but there is something Garth is singing as the song fades out that I can't make out. Someone else on another board heard some words that ended with what sounded like "from Miss Norma Jean." Can anyone else with better hearing figure out what he is saying?

Paula
    That last line is

"And the last scene
    From Miss Norma Jeane
    Adds Eighteen"

Spoiler alert.......

It's Marilyn Monroe (Norma Jean Mortensen.. died 1962...adds up to 18)

Sorry to carpet-bomb this, but I wasn't sure how many folks read this just thread but not the ones in the main section.

For those here who complained about the production of Gunslinger based on the version of the album that was in the boxed set, you should check out the standard wide release version. To my ears, it's heads and tails more clear and better sounding. For details, check out my post here.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAgnstMachine View Post
    That last line is

"And the last scene
    From Miss Norma Jeane
    Adds Eighteen"

Spoiler alert.......

It's Marilyn Monroe (Norma Jean Mortensen.. died 1962...adds up to 18)
    A little late to say it was a spoiler alert. Just a reminder that there is a Spoiler Alert thread for discussion of 8teen - http://www.planetgarth.com/forums/sh...-on-Gunslinger

Paula

Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Anybody bought the stand alone version? Curious if the booklet was a full book or just like the limited version.

Quote Originally Posted by jturtels View Post
    Anybody bought the stand alone version? Curious if the booklet was a full book or just like the limited version.
    The standalone version has the lyrics and liner notes.

Paula

Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

For my personal track by track review, I'm going to include reasons why I added some third party songs onto this album and hopefully give you guys some ideas on how to make this album a little deeper.

Let's Lay Down and Dance: I'm going to make this part of my personal tracklisting but I'm not going to sing along with this in my car because I still don't like it. But the song that comes after this one gives me complete justification for why I'm keeping this one on here. In terms of content: it explores meeting a girl for the first time and wanting to have sex with her at the first jump. That's how I'm hearing this song and sorry if you guys don't like my bluntness on it.

Free: From Jack Ingram's 2009 Big Dreams and High Hopes album, it has the same beat and melody as the first track, but in terms of content it's 100x better because it talks about exploring the bliss that comes after finding the one and not wanting to trade the bliss for anything.

He Really Loves You: I like how it explores love growing unintentionally cold because of how some people respond differently to love and sometimes that response can drive a huge wedge between husband and wife.

Til it Does: From Randy Rogers and Wade Bowen's Hold my Beer vol 1 along with being a Chris Stapleton co-write, I know Garth intended He Really Loves You to have a happy ending but this song talks about what happens when the relationship reaches a point of being over.

Honky Tonk Somewhere: I recently bought Mark Chesnutt's Tradition Lives album and I don't know if Garth ever bought his own copy of it but he definitely took a page of Mark's playbook because this song reminded me of that album.

Lay It All on You:From Wade Bowen's Lost Hotel. I originally put Standards to play after Honky Tonk Somewhere because of it's own Honky Tonk sound but I started thinking about how Garth wanted Gunslinger to be the next In Pieces (and for the record this album isn't even remotely close to the greatness that is In Pieces) and Lay It All On You, I think it has potential to what Garth might be thinking when he's playing on stage.

New Way to Fly: I've said it before and I'll say it again, this song and Whiskey to Wine have very vivid similarities with each other and this song serves as a great prequel to the latter song. And some of you might not remember Trisha Yearwood singing background vocals on this song but I do and that in my opinion furthers emphasizes my point.

Whiskey to Wine: I've heard Golden Ring with George Jones and Tammy Wynette and obviously Garth was trying to create his own similarity with that song, especially since everytime I hear this song, I can tell Garth and Trisha are trying to channel both George and Tammy in this song, but in the end I think they ultimately channeled Ricky Van Shelton and Dolly Parton in the end.

Ask Me How I Know: I actually resonate with this song but the difference is, I usually have trouble really letting people in to the point of when I can't even say hello to some people.

Broken Reflection: Wade Bowen's Lost Hotel album, I think it gives further emphasis on the thoughts of the protagonist with Ask Me How I Know. He knows he has a problem (a Broken Reflection) and he has a personal prayer to God about how he wants to repair it.

I Had My Hopes Up High: This album lacked a funny song in my opinion so I added this Randy Rogers and Wade Bowen track because I think it's very Garth and I think it's very reminiscent of Ain't Going Down til the Sun Comes Up.

Pure Adrenaline: Unpopular opinion time, I actually LIKED this one, especially after playing this one after I Had My Hopes Up High because I think the protagonist had a very strong drive to get out into the world and raise some hell.

Cowboys and Friends: Yeah I think this song has a sadder meaning than what Garth was trying to go after. Even with all the friends he has, he's actually a lot more alone than we might think.

Saturday Night: Wade Bowen's The Given. This song I think serves as a good prequel to Cowboys and Friends and explores why the protagonist ain't comfortable being in large crowds.

Eighteen: Garth and I definitely had different experiences when I was 18 because I was introverted even then and really didn't do a whole lot and in terms of music, I was mostly getting into Texas Country at the time and I virtually had no interest in any pop music whatsoever. I don't think it's a bad song but I just don't have a lot of connection with it.

Crazy Enough: I think this would definitely be a good alternative album closer to Gunslinger and in my opinion perfectly describes Garth and his mindset on everything. From Wade Bowen's Lost Hotel album, this song explores the mindset of a man whose setting out on a mission to be a cut among the rest.

Weekend and Bang Bang: No. Just No.

I imagine a lot of you haven't heard the tracks I put onto my mix of Gunslinger but if you got a Spotify on your computer, I recommend you giving those songs a listen and maybe you'll see why I put these songs on or maybe you won't but I hope my suggested track listing will take some of the negative sting out of this album.

With all due respect, what sense does it make to include songs--some of them 5+ years old--by artists who have nothing to do with Garth on a fan mix of "Gunslinger?"

Quote Originally Posted by coco1997 View Post
    With all due respect, what sense does it make to include songs--some of them 5+ years old--by artists who have nothing to do with Garth on a fan mix of "Gunslinger?"
    One to make the album a little bit more country. Two, like I said, if Garth ever did his own versions of those songs I think he would do a great job with them. Sorry if you don't agree with me doing this but it's how I'm gonna do it.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    My only thing, outcast, would be that it's not a 'gunslinger' review' as much as it is a 'fan playlist' thing... but that's just me.. no worries with someone having diff. takes on things..

pulling the relevant 'Gunslinger' parts of your fan mix- lemme comment (cause hey that's what I do )

Let's Lay Down and Dance: I'm going to make this part of my personal tracklisting but I'm not going to sing along with this in my car because I still don't like it. But the song that comes after this one gives me complete justification for why I'm keeping this one on here. In terms of content: it explores meeting a girl for the first time and wanting to have sex with her at the first jump. That's how I'm hearing this song and sorry if you guys don't like my bluntness on it.
    that's kinda how I hear it too, or at least I have- the morality of the thing I'm not too ok with- but the song itself has proven catchy

He Really Loves You: I like how it explores love growing unintentionally cold because of how some people respond differently to love and sometimes that response can drive a huge wedge between husband and wife.
    maybe I gotta listen to the song again, and/or read the lyrics- cause I don't get that vibe at all- it's a good song though

Honky Tonk Somewhere: I recently bought Mark Chesnutt's Tradition Lives album and I don't know if Garth ever bought his own copy of it but he definitely took a page of Mark's playbook because this song reminded me of that album.
    I have that album, will have to listen to it post christmas- don't know if Garth's doing anything by anyone else's book- but this song does harken back to the 90s

Whiskey to Wine: I've heard Golden Ring with George Jones and Tammy Wynette and obviously Garth was trying to create his own similarity with that song, especially since everytime I hear this song, I can tell Garth and Trisha are trying to channel both George and Tammy in this song, but in the end I think they ultimately channeled Ricky Van Shelton and Dolly Parton in the end.
    I will agree with prior notions about it sounding like New Way to Fly in parts.. I heard that from first listen.. I think they are going for a 'classic duet' sound too.. don't know if they hit it though.

Ask Me How I Know: I actually resonate with this song but the difference is, I usually have trouble really letting people in to the point of when I can't even say hello to some people.
    this one's a good song- an interesting take you have on it- def. worth re listening

Pure Adrenaline: Unpopular opinion time, I actually LIKED this one, especially after playing this one after I Had My Hopes Up High because I think the protagonist had a very strong drive to get out into the world and raise some hell.
    first off, never apologize for having a differing opinion about something that Garth's done/sung/etc.. maybe it's me, but objective, honest opinions about Garth make for a better fandom.. not that it happen here all the time, but blindly loving everything he does... doesn't work well.. IMO.. now.... it's catchy- I still think I'll forever see SEC intros in the song (and the video that accompanied the SEC commercial intros was corny) but I like the song- from a background while I'm working out/something to crank up kinda way....

Cowboys and Friends: Yeah I think this song has a sadder meaning than what Garth was trying to go after. Even with all the friends he has, he's actually a lot more alone than we might think.
    again, you've brought up something Im a gonna have to listen to again interesting...

Eighteen: Garth and I definitely had different experiences when I was 18 because I was introverted even then and really didn't do a whole lot and in terms of music, I was mostly getting into Texas Country at the time and I virtually had no interest in any pop music whatsoever. I don't think it's a bad song but I just don't have a lot of connection with it.
    I'm waiting to get the standalone version and actual song lyrics from the book etc.. interested in 'digesting' it to an extent, but not nec. having same ideas as others- the song's ok- not terrible

Weekend and Bang Bang: No. Just No.
    Weekend's a grab at country radio in the current era, IMO.. Bang Bang.. . Garth does south park- I can't help but keep hearing that in the song
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    One to make the album a little bit more country. Two, like I said, if Garth ever did his own versions of those songs I think he would do a great job with them. Sorry if you don't agree with me doing this but it's how I'm gonna do it.
    I have no problem with customizing tracklists. I do it all the time. It's just that a lot of your song selections make no sense.

But hey, if it helps you enjoy the album, more power to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Skywise View Post
    Weekend's a grab at country radio in the current era, IMO.. Bang Bang.. . Garth does south park- I can't help but keep hearing that in the song
    Yeah and him ignoring the fact that the radio world is in the process of going back to being traditional again (even if some of the radio companies want to ignore it). But in terms of both of those songs and lyrics, they are just FLAT OUT STUPID!

In terms of pure enjoyment this album gets 8/10.

Most fun Garth album ever.

Honkytonk somewhere, bang bang, sugar cane, pure aderlaine can be played over and over again, to have four fun songs, along with
    8teen, just brings me so much pleasure, Gunslinger is way more garth than man against machine, for me its like a cross between fresh horses
    and sevens.

Love it.

Well done Garth!

Thanks to all who tried my suggested running order, I got bored one night and decided I'd spell out why I made the changes I did.

1. He Really Loves You- I tried putting this song in so many different spots and to me, it just canít follow any song on the album. The song immediately makes you pay attention. I played the album countless times and every time I said to myself, this is in the wrong spot. When the song takes off, it sets the tone for the whole album, it changes everything. Like Standing Outside the Fire, Why Ainít I Running or We Shall Be Free. This needs to be first.

2. Weekend- Stays where its at, though it's a curious pick, most second songs are seriousÖexcept for Sevens and the original release of Scarecrow, following that mold though of Why Ainít I Running coming first and it being followed by Beer Run, the songs fits fine here.

3. Honky-Tonk Somewhere- Listen, I get it, I know why he put it first, it does feel like this song kicks off the album, but thatís exactly why it should be moved. The third spot in Garth albums are generally reserved for playful songs. Mr Right from The Chase, Two of a Kind from No Fences Wrapped Up in You from Scarecrow. Also, I feel by opening with two contemporary numbers and then switching to a classic country feel, it sends a message likeÖI can still do this.

4. Whiskey to Wine-Just an affirmation of HonkyTonk, says Iím still country guys, try questioning me. Also, fourth spots are classic country spots, AHBA from In Pieces, I Donít Have to Wonder from Sevens and my fav Every Now and Then from The Chase. And yes, we are getting a lot of Trisha, but she is so good on this song.

5. Baby, Letís Get Lay Down and Dance- Still a country feel, but also pulling back to a contemporary feel. The fifth spot is usually reserved for playful light songs, Two Pina Coladas from Sevens, Friends In Low Places on No Fences. I know some people have their reservations about this song, but I imagine the characters from Ainít Goiní Down in this song, like this is what the dude would of said to herÖ.

6. Ask Me How I Know-I hated this song in the third spot, it pulled me out of the experience each and every time, the sixth or seventh spots on his albums are usually reserved for songs like this, like Fit for A King from Sevens or Beaches of Cheyenne from Fresh Horses or Wild Horses from No Fences and it being placed later allows me to fully appreciate it.

7. Bang, Bang- Song is growing on me, and it belongs in the seventh spot which is usually either a serious song or a playful song like Ainít Goiní Down. I hope he doesnít record a song like this again, but it reaffirms this is a party album as the next song will show as well.

8. Pure Adrenaline- Classic like Do What You Gotta Do from Sevens or Its Midnight Cinderella from Fresh Horses, placed later in the album to lighten it up before we get serious, like Fish From Man Against Machine. This song grew on me, I like the addition of the horns, but I agree with Rolling Stoneís review, this is too much punch into a lifeless song. As for sequencing Bang,Bang and Adrenaline together, it just feels right. I tried throwing Cowboys and Friends one spot up but that 9th spot screams for a slower feeling song.

9. Cowboys and Friends- Classic cowboy position, Night Riders Lament from The Chase or Lonesome Dove from Ropiní The Wind, also a song that had to grow on me. One part of me calls the lyrics extremely lazy but I love how he delivers them.

10. 8Teen- Garthís fav, stays where it is.

Thanks again for reading and indulging.

Glad you enjoyed it!!! Thanks for trying it!

+ Reply to Thread