+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gunslinger Reviews

I am really liking the other CDs in the box set. I avoided the song listings on purpose, except Gunslinger of course. I haven't played the Road yet, but it's great to hear alot of songs that are not singles, like others have also said. Like Lonesome Dove! It feels like to me GB went through and truely picked his favorite songs, not caring if they were hits or even singles, which is pretty cool!

Whew. Ok. Im gonna avoid a long review since so many others have done such a great job and covered what I would have said anyway. And I won't go into how I'm kinda pissed GUNSLINGER is NOT a limited edition. I will say I believe it was thrown in at the end to sweeten the deal.

Overall, its an ok album. Not enjoyable the first couple listens though and I hate the running order. I hate it so much I had to switch it. The album has no flow, I think the songs are fine (despite Pure Adrenaline, Cowboys Forever and 18) but the album is so disjointed and uneven I couldn't get through it without skipping something.

So, here's how I have it. And honestly, I love the album this way.

1. He Really Loves You
    2. Weekend
    3. HonkyTonk Somewhere
    4. Whiskey to Wine
    5. Baby, Let's Lay Down and Dance
    6. Ask Me How I Know
    7. Bang Bang
    8. Pure Adrenaline
    9. Cowboys Forever
    10. 8teen

I took out "Sugarcane" which is an utter wreck...I thought "Fish" from MAM was the worst song he recorded, it now goes to this....and FILP....ohhhh...can't do it...bro country ruins it...so bad...wow.

I won't say it's a bad album because it grew on me after I switched the order. However, if I had left it...easliy the most dissapointed with Garth music I've ever been. Can't recall a time I actually regretted purchasing music, I almost did here.

Quote Originally Posted by rmila00 View Post
    Right now, I'm of the opinion that Garth has to get a better producer. I know Garth loves Mark Miller, but he is not what Garth needs. He is no good for Garth. The album is not mixed well (too bassy and vocals are not clear) and Garth's vocals are horribly produced. Maybe some of it has to do with Garth trying to sing differently, but even if so, the vocals are not produced like they should be. They are lacking the power we all used to love in Garth's voice. It just sounds too pop now. He needs to find a country producer...... Mark Miller is not one.
    I agree with you. I really miss Allen Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by YouSoundBitter View Post
    I would've been happy with replacing Whiskey To Wine or Bang Bang with The Call.
    Having The Call on the album would have been fantastic, I agree.

The song Weekend reminds me of Steve Wariner for some reason. It just might be the title though.

Agree with almost everyone else that Whiskey to Wine is better live from the Ryman than in the studio, but still a stellar track none the less.

I personally think Cowboys and Friends is the "most Garth thing" on the album.

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBarton View Post
    Agree with almost everyone else that Whiskey to Wine is better live from the Ryman than in the studio, but still a stellar track none the less.
    gotta say- I didn't think I'd like it, and I heard but really didn't pay THAT much attention to the Ryman version.. I have to say that I am liking this duet a bit more each time I hear it- still not totally sold on Garth/TY duets, but it sounds good
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

I guess everyone here has done a fantastic job of summing up their feelings. I think the record kicks off with the best 6 songs and then it goes into sub-par territory starting with Bang Bang. 8Teen might be the only worthwhile song in that latter group but I really don't want to write off the album just yet.

And while I can appreciate Garth and his amazing loyalty to Mark Miller, he really needs to get himself a producer that can tow the line between that "Garth" sound and modern country. Once again I'll name drop Jimmy Ritchey, he's cut some fantastic traditional country music along with a fair share of hits. I feel someone like him would be a great match for Garth. Just keep Garth away from Joey Moi and Michael Knox!

I've only listened to this album 3 times since Saturday (once at home and twice at work) and I've transferred it over to my iPhone so I can take it into the gym and on my work commutes. When MAM was first released
    I felt underwhelmed by it but with time it became my second favorite GB album second to In Pieces so I'm hoping that's the case this time around. So below I'll just write my "scores" for the tracks on a scale of 1-5.

1.Honky-Tonk Somewhere 4
    2.Weekend 5
    3.Ask Me How I Know 5
    4.Baby, Let’s Lay Down And Dance 4
    5.He Really Loves You 5
    6.Whiskey To Wine 5
    7.BANG! BANG! 1
    8.Pure Adrenaline 1
    9.8teen 3
    10.SugarCane (Target Exclusive) 1
    11.Cowboys and Friends 1
    12.Friends In Low Places (Target Exclusive) 3 (God I wish it had just been George & Garth on this...)
    Last edited by CER956; 11-14-2016 at 05:54 PM.

Finally got my preorder from Target last night after originally expecting to get it last Friday. Don't get me started on that whole situation.

Here's my quick song-by-song review of "Gunslinger."

01. Honky-Tonk Somewhere: This is classic '90s Garth! Would have fit right in on an album like "Ropin' the Wind." The phone ringing intro threw me off at first. I like the Siri reference. Some of the vocals are really hard to make out, especially when Garth slips into the lower register. This is where you really miss Allen Reynolds' production.

02. Weekend: Based on the "Inside Studio G" segment I was worried this was going to be a bro-country song, but thankfully I was very wrong. Right now this is one of my favorite songs on the album. After a few listens I realized the chorus reminds me of "Any Way You Want It" by Journey.

03. Ask Me How I Know: This one was a big letdown for me. Garth really talked it up on Facebook which made it that much more disappointing when I finally heard it. Not many dynamics in this song, though the bridge is nice. I can't see this doing well as a single, but I hope I'm wrong.

04. Baby Let's Lay Down & Dance: I really like the extended bridge. It allows the song to "breathe" a lot more than the abbreviated single version.

05. He Really Loves You: Garth always has to have at least one epic piano-driven ballad on each record and this one is certainly no exception. A beautiful, haunting number and the centerpiece of the album.

06. Whiskey to Wine: I only listened to part of the Ryman recording so I wouldn't spoil this song for myself. I'm glad I waited because I wound up really enjoying the album version. I think this might be Garth and Tricia's best studio duet yet.

07. BANG! BANG!: Not really sure what to make of this one. The "bang! bang!" background vocals get a little repetitive but they don't bother me as much as they seem to others. I probably have to pay more attention to the lyrics to better appreciate this song and its story.

08. Pure Adrenaline: It's nice to finally hear the full version of the song after hearing the CBS football clip a million times. The horns that come in towards the end of the song are a nice touch. This one will sound great live, assuming Garth ever starts playing any of the new material in concert.

09. 8teen: You can really hear a lot of Garth's non-country influences like Don McLean and Billy Joel in this one. Great bridge and lots of lyrics worthy of analysis. Another standout, so at least the standard edition of the album will end on a high note.

10. Sugarcane: This might be the most forgettable thing Garth has ever released. Sounds like a poor man's version "Pure Adrenaline." I can see why it didn't make "MAM" and barely made its way onto this record as a bonus track. It's hard to tell if "sugarcane" is referring to the girl in the song or Garth's d*ck. I'm not a puritan but this kind of sleazy material is beneath him, in my opinion.

11. Cowboys & Friends: Kind of a by-the-numbers cowboy song. Reminds me a bit of "Please Operator."

12. FILP25: I don't listen to modern country so I'm not too familiar with Jason Aldean or Florida Georgia Line, but I can tell this recording would have been much, much better with just Garth, George and Keith Urban on guitar. Sometimes less is more.

All in all there's a lot to enjoy on "Gunslinger," I can't help but feel slightly disappointed, especially after having to wait an extra year to hear it. At only 10 tracks (I'm not counting the bonus tracks) It just feels a little "light," and I have to believe that between the material that was left off "MAM" (assuming at least some of it was worth hearing, though "SugarCane" might indicate otherwise) and whatever else was written for the new album, there had to be better material available than "BANG! BANG!" and "Ask Me How I Know." I really hope we get to hear "Live Again" and "Somewhere Under the Rainbow" someday. Maybe Garth decided they might fit better on the next record.

I half wonder if many of these songs are the ones he was going to abandon when earlier this year he said he wanted to do more writing. I know when Mike Chapman died though, he said he wanted to go back and use as many of the songs that Mike had played on as possible. So maybe the next album will have some of the newer stuff he was writing this year. Still, I think this is a very good album, despite a few forgettable songs.

He also said Somehwre Under the Rainbow wasn't included for legal reasons. Like you said, hopefully those issues can be worked out by the next album.
    Last edited by Emerald Isle; 11-15-2016 at 11:42 AM.

To each their own. I got my cd last night and have only listened 2X through but I gotta say "Ask Me How I Know" is by far my favorite song on the album. In fact I might put it top five Garth ballads for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Inman View Post
    To each their own. I got my cd last night and have only listened 2X through but I gotta say "Ask Me How I Know" is by far my favorite song on the album. In fact I might put it top five Garth ballads for me.
    I'm hoping it grows on me over time.

Anyone have the lyrics for 8Teen yet?

Songwriter Credits (since wasn't in the box set)

I was getting really annoyed that this information wasn't in the box set. Since I work in the music industry, I knew where I could find it, so since I had a little time this morning, I looked it all up. This data came from ASCAP and BMI databases.

Ask Me How I Know:
    Mitch Rossell

Baby, Letís Lay Down and Dance:
    Kent Blazy
    Garth
    Steve Dorff
    Victoria Shaw
    Kim Williams

Bang! Bang!:
    David Ashmore
    Garth
    Byran Kennedy

Cowboys & Friends:
    Garth
    Matthew Rossi

He Really Loves You:
    Garth
    Bobby Wood

Honky-Tonk Somewhere:
    Kent Blazy
    Garth
    Byran Kennedy
    Kim Williams

Pure Adrenaline:
    Garth
    Gordon Kennedy

Sugarcane:
    Kent Blazy
    Garth
    Kim Williams

Weekend:
    Garth
    Benita Hill

Whiskey to Wine:
    Garth
    Bryan Keendy
    Wynn Varble

8teen
    Garth
    Jenny Yates
    "Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law." --- Sophocles

Thanks Terri.

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Judging from what I'm seeing in the reviews, it's becoming more and more clear to me that I may have to replace some of these songs with others from different singers and make it a more traditional country record. I've been hearing a lot of great songs from this year and last year that I think Garth would've done a great job doing versions of. Some the song titles I've seen in the track listing on this album, just gave me the creeps and some of your reviews confirmed what I've been thinking about doing and that is throw the songs to the side and replace it with some real country.

For the record, I've obviously not gotten the album yet because I think Garth and GhostTunes might still uphold the bundle pre-order agreements, but if not I'll just buy it at Amazon.

Honky Tonk Somewhere is without a doubt the greatest song in the entire history of the Universal.

What a way to start the album!!!

If this song is released to country radio it will go straight to number one.

Love the phone call at the start of it also!!

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post

For the record, I've obviously not gotten the album yet because I think Garth and GhostTunes might still uphold the bundle pre-order agreements, but if not I'll just buy it at Amazon.
    I have received communication that the download will be available via GhostTunes. For some reason I thought it said 11/23 but it may have been on Black Friday.

I've got to hand it to ghost tunes. I emailed them, never heard anything back from anyone, but when it came to releasing the new single a month ago, and also relating to Gunslinger's 'release'. I got an email telling me that I'd have a link on Nov 24th...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

*meekly raises hand*….I like SugarCane…I think it's hysterical and has one of the best 'grooves' of the album. Yeah it's hokey, but that's the point. I think the song is funny because I never though Garth would ever do a song about…well…you get the point.
    Matt
    "Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire"-GB

That's what I like to hear. There are songs for everyone. I like to hear that people are enjoying this album a ton, because I am not. I like a grand total of 2 songs - although 'Bang! Bang!' has creeped into my head and won't leave now. The rest of the album I don't like at all. I rate it below Double Live in my collection (which is the bottom). But knowing that a lot of others are enjoying it makes me excited, so that he'll keep making more. I LOVED Machine, when others didn't. Now the roles are switched, and I am perfectly fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by gbfansince3 View Post
    *meekly raises hand*….I like SugarCane…I think it's hysterical and has one of the best 'grooves' of the album. Yeah it's hokey, but that's the point. I think the song is funny because I never though Garth would ever do a song about…well…you get the point.

Gosh- this is totally what PG once was- all over again. Love it.

Yo, GBJR77, Please, please, try arranging the album in this order.

1. He Really Loves You
    2. Weekend
    3. HonkyTonk Somewhere
    4. Whiskey to Wine
    5. Baby, Lets Lay Down and Dance
    6. Ask Me How I Know
    7. Bang, Bang
    8. Pure Adrenaline
    9. Cowboys and Friends
    10. 8teen

Was in the same boat, I really disliked this album UNTIL I put it in this order, now I can't stop playing it. Please try it this way.

Honkytonk Somewhere - I really liked this song and it is classic garth.

Weekend - This song stuck in my head and is a fun song.

Ask Me How I Know - Great song and liked the meaning behind the song

Baby Let's Lay Down and Dance - This song is not horrible but not one of my favorites

He Really Loves You - A somber song that grows on you

Whiskey to Wine - My favorite song on the album. I love the meaning and tempo

Bang! Bang! - Hate it just hate it so much

Pure Adrenaline - It is not one of my favorites on the album

8teen - It has a great tempo but again not one of my favorites

Sugarcane - Another song that I hated

Cowboys & Friends - This is garth to me and I loved this song

FILP25 - I don't get the hype for this or why it was even on the album at all.

So as you can tell I am more of a old school garth fan. I hated MAM and for me this album blows that out of the water. I like that he blended old school songs with new age country for this album, it gives the old garth fan and the new garth fan something to enjoy. This is the garth album I have been waiting for since the lost sessions

Thanks for all your reviews! I enjoy reading them. I don't have the album yet and I wonder what songs I will like and dislike. I will hopefully get it next week (it is on its way to this side of the globe) and then I'll let you know.
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Dale View Post
    Honky Tonk Somewhere is without a doubt the greatest song in the entire history of the Universal.

What a way to start the album!!!

If this song is released to country radio it will go straight to number one.

Love the phone call at the start of it also!!
    I'm not sure Garth will ever have a number one hit again in today's world of "country music" That being said, I believe this song would have been huge in the mid 90's

For me to enjoy Gunslinger, I just had to discard three songs. So, I've taken three songs off of MAM and placed them on GS. I can now enjoy both albums. This is the way I've re-arranged it.

Man Against Machine:

Man Against Machine
    She's Tired of Boys
    Cold Like That
    All American Kid
    Mom
    Wrong About You
    Midnight Train
    People Loving People
    Fish
    You Wreck Me
    Tacoma

Gunslinger:

Honky Tonk Somewhere
    Weekend
    Cowboys Forever
    Ask Me How I Know
    Baby, Let's Lay Down and Dance
    He Really Loves You
    Whiskey to Wine
    Rodeo and Juliet
    8Teen
    Send'em On Down the Road
    Cowboys and Friends

Quote Originally Posted by fences2312 View Post
    So, here's how I have it. And honestly, I love the album this way.

1. He Really Loves You
    2. Weekend
    3. HonkyTonk Somewhere
    4. Whiskey to Wine
    5. Baby, Let's Lay Down and Dance
    6. Ask Me How I Know
    7. Bang Bang
    8. Pure Adrenaline
    9. Cowboys Forever
    10. 8teen

I took out "Sugarcane" which is an utter wreck...I thought "Fish" from MAM was the worst song he recorded, it now goes to this....and FILP....ohhhh...can't do it...bro country ruins it...so bad...wow.

I won't say it's a bad album because it grew on me after I switched the order. However, if I had left it...easliy the most dissapointed with Garth music I've ever been. Can't recall a time I actually regretted purchasing music, I almost did here.
    Fences, I tried out your resequenced tracklist today and really enjoyed it. Opening with "He Really Loves You" is inspired but I have to admit, "Honky-Tonk Somewhere," with its 911 operator intro is probably the best possible way to kick off the album.

One thing I don't like about both yours and the official tracklist is the back-to-back placement of "Bang! Bang!" and "Pure Adrenaline." That's really the low point of the album, in my opinion. I think a ballad or something a bit softer is needed to break up those tracks.

I truly feel "Gunslinger" was just 1-2 classic Garth songs away from being elevated to a truly great album from a just 'ok' Garth record. At well under 40 minutes, the album also just feels too short, at least by Garth standards.

If I can give you guys a word of advice, when I heard Whiskey to Whine at the Ryman performance on Sirius XM it vividly reminded me of "A New Way to Fly" I can understand some of you guys not liking the new song but I think if you were to play that song along with "Whiskey to Whine" it might help take some of the sting out of it. That's what I've been intending to do in the first place when I get my copy of Gunslinger.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricOutcast View Post
    If I can give you guys a word of advice, when I heard Whiskey to Whine at the Ryman performance on Sirius XM it vividly reminded me of "A New Way to Fly" I can understand some of you guys not liking the new song but I think if you were to play that song along with "Whiskey to Whine" it might help take some of the sting out of it. That's what I've been intending to do in the first place when I get my copy of Gunslinger.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears New Way to Fly in that song...

"Whiskey to Wine, it's just not the same high....." - "New way to Fly, far away from Goodbye.."

I don't mind the studio version of whiskey to wine myself....

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread