+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Gunslinger Reviews

Gunslinger Reviews

All of you lucky ones that have gotten your hands on Gunslinger already feel free to post your review here!

Moving this to the Album Review Forum.

Paula

Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Honkytonk Somewhere: Garth brought the steel guitar back... yay! This song is super fun and very country. I actually think this should have been the lead single over BLLDAD. A mix between AHBA and Rollin. Has a much more classic Garth sound than most the songs on MAM. Oh, and this needs to be a live staple like, right now. Don't be afraid Garth, do it!

Weekend - Again, another fun song. Garth wasn't kidding when he said this album is just stupid fun. Has a beachy Kenny Chesney / Two Pina Colada sorta sound. Great chorus. You can almost hear Garth smiling while he sings this one.

Ask Me How I Know - This one has a different sound from anything Garth has recorded, but that's not a bad thing. Mid tempo, kinda rockfish. You know, I'm three songs in, and this album so far is so classic Garth. When I first heard MAM (which I love btw), I felt it had a Chris Gaines-ish kinda sound. This, this sounds like Garth. I like the lyrics to this one a lot. Can't wait to dissect this one more in future listens.

Baby Let's Lay Down and Dance - We've all heard this one. The breakdown in the middle is longer like we heard on Inside Studio G. I've heard the single version so many times now, the longer breakdown is weird to hear.

He Really Loves You - Haunting piano intro. Great vocal. Slowly builds to a more urgent sound. Again, I can't think of another song in the catalog that sounds like this one, but it's undeniably Garth. Maybe a mix between The Storm and That Summer, but even that doesn't quite fit. Good song.

Whiskey to Wine - I was almost nervous to push play on this one. I have heard the Ryman version so many times now, and that performance is just so raw, so intimate, so emotional, and oh so perfect. I love the simplicity of it being just Garth, Trisha, and the acoustic guitar. It was sooooo country and awesome. So I was nervous about the studio version losing a lot of that. In a way, it kinda does, I'm sorry to say. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome. There's steel, the vocal is flawless, and the band plays fine. Kinda sounds like Red Strokes. That said, I feel like the drums are a bit of a distraction and takes away from the close intimacy that the Ryman version has. I truly and sincerely hope they either record an acoustic version of this someday or that the Ryman version is on the new live album that's coming out next year. Please don't think I'm being critical. I looooove this song. Remember I said it sounds like Red Strokes, and that's one of my top 5 favorite Garth songs of all time. All I'm saying is that it's such an intimate song, I kinda wish they had kept it like that for the studio version. Still great though.

Bang! Bang! - The opening and chorus sound like he singing "Batman" like they do in the old 60's TV show. In fact, now that I've made that connection, I don't know if I'll ever be able to hear anything else. Otherwise a decent rocker of a song. Bonnie & Clyde type of story. But the chorus... na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na an, Batman!!

Pure Adrenaline - We've heard most of this and there's no surprises in the album version. I think this should be the tour opener now instead of MAM. Also could have served well as the album opener.

8teen - Mid tempo acoustic driven song. Lyrics are fun. I've only listened once, so haven't been able to decipher any of the meanings yet. Kinda sounds a little like Allison Miranda. Love the chorus!

Sugarcane - Another uptempo electric guitar driven track. Fun lyrics. Somewhat similar to Pure Adrenaline.

Cowboys & Friends - Probably the most classic country song on the album. Not as epic as The Cowboy Song or Night Rider's Lament, but will still be fun to sing along to. Fans of songs like Wild Horses and Midnight Sun will probably like this one.

FILP25 - A straightforward remake right down to the instrumentation. Nothing drastically different except one part in the middle where an electric guitar solo is pretty high in the mix (which is probably Keith Urban's contribution, and thus why it's so loud). All the guests do fine jobs, but oh man I wish it was just Garth and king George, and/or that they had George do more parts than he did. In fact, Garth sings very little on this, and in a way it sounds like a Jason Aldean song in which Garth & George and the others joined in. Not bad, but not earth shattering either.

In sum, this album is indeed very fun. It's much more cohesive than MAM, which I still think sounds uneven and disjointed. If I had to compare it to one of the past albums, I would say it's closest to Fresh Horses. That said, there are several songs here that are completely unique and sound like nothing else in the catalog. But they also don't sound out of place either. Now, if you're looking for No Fences 2, I'm sorry to say you will likely be disappointed. There is no Wolves, no Lonesome Dove, no The Change, and no Tacoma type of song here. But there are a lot of very fun upbeat songs that will probably make you smile whenever you hear them. So all in all, my first impression is that I really like it and I think if the general public finds it, it will do quite well sales wise. Can't wait for you guys to hear it.

Hate to be a pain, but can't reviews be on the main page for a few days so it's easier to find them? Same with TV appearances.

Having their own sections in the forum is normally fine, but for times like this where there's so much going on, it'd be nice to have all the action together in one section. Just my opinion.

Honkytonk Somewhere: Love that he started the record with this!! I feel that 90s country sound right off with that Brad Paisley style electric guitar. Perfect way to say this album is gonna be a fun ride. Loved the reference to "Siri, where's the party?" Cool that he is embracing this generations references with a classic Garth sound.

Weekend - Love this hook, The melody is super catchy, and I love all the city references across the country...even the little "Muncie, Indiana" which is not too far from me!!
    Just fun. Great 1-2 punch to start this album.

Ask Me How I Know - Mitch Rossell wrote this and I knew that going in. He has such a way of fitting a ton of words in a line, and I knew that was coming at some point. That being said I love the passion in Garth's voice like he is talking straight to the listener. (which is the whole idea.) When I first saw this title, I had a whole other idea for what this was going to be about. I was pleasantly surprised with what it ended up being. I'd say this is in my Top 3 for favorites on this album.

Baby Let's Lay Down and Dance - The single. At the perfect spot on this record. The order so far has really fit the emotions good. Not too much too fast. Hearing the extended Chapman bass solo is surreal, with his passing and I much prefer the extended version of this song with the added 15 secs in that break.

He Really Loves You - Favorite song on the record! Oh, the place this song takes you if you let it....Man! it got me 1st listen. Starts off kinda all over the place and then it has you chasin' down the reality of the lyrics...Garth's story songs really are his best. The melody on this is so unique that I am glad to see Garth challenging his pen This is going to be the first song I learn to cover. I can very much relate to way this man feels for "her"

Whiskey to Wine - I'm with EmeraldIsle on this one...Hearing the Ryman version so many times of this somehow takes a little bit away from this cut. When they did it live, just the voices and that Takamine acoustic, it really allowed the lyric to hit and for their voices to carry it. The drums are a little much, but I enjoy the walkdown guitar part into the chorus a lot. This song is still incredible lyrically and melodically, but after first listen though, I think the Ryman version tops it.

Bang! Bang! - I don't know why, but I'm not feelin' this... Cool little story about a clever heist, but that "bang,bang" repeating itself gets old real quick haha it honestly takes away from the song for me. Anything with Garth's voice on it, I'll find a way to like though....eventually haha

Pure Adrenaline - Hearing the full cut of this actually makes me like it more than I did when I hear the CBS Football clip. The second verse is my favorite part, and I can see this becoming a fun one to hear live. Johnny Garcia could solo ALL OVER THIS! Fits well right after "BANG! BANG!" too

8teen - I think this song is Garth's "American Pie." He alludes to many things in metaphors! A couple references in this song relate to his influences and his parents. A few I caught on first listen: "will forever be enshrined and underlined in red" (George Jones forever the king..."He Stopped Loving Her Today" lyric, he had underlined in red every single I Love You") , "Once a marine, met a Colleen." (Obviously about his parents..) "he rode that SILVER BULLET cross the border line. the song he hummed that NIGHT MOVES me everytime" (Bob Seger references) This is my 2nd favorite on the album behind "He Really Loves You."

SugarCane - Reminds me a little bit of Aerosmith with the guitars, but a real uptempo rockin' song. I keep waitin' for Steven Tyler's shriek to resound in this one. I also like Garth's voice on the chorus of this one, as he adds a little rock vibrato into his notes.

Cowboys and Friends - Wish this wasn't the only one like it's kind of the record. I love this one. Could tell Garth enjoyed recording this for the album, and I think I'll probably have this before "8teen" on a copy just like the regular release because it fits a little better there for transitioning from song to song. (i think it was put here so the two most traditional country songs are back to back)

Friends In Low Places (25th Anniversary Edition) - Sounds like they used the original mix of the No Fences version as a base, and then built the rest of the song of it. Honestly could have done without Florida Georgia Line on it at all. As I don't feel like their voices mesh well with Aldean, Strait and Garth's. A guy like Alan Jackson would have been right at home on this. Keith Urban's contribution didn't really add anything to the song, but it' s cool knowing that he left his mark on it, especially with his history with Garth.

Bottom line, what. a. record...I'm not even remotely disappointed with this as a whole in any way. You can absolutely feel Garth's stamp more on this record than Man Against Machine, although I love them both in completely different ways. This CD plays much more like songs meant to be played together, versus MAM which was more of a list of songs you could play your way through and enjoy individually.

I'll be buying the regular edition to support this record as well.

Thanks for the reviews. Looking forward to hearing the album
    The sevens have aligned. It has begun...

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    Hate to be a pain, but can't reviews be on the main page for a few days so it's easier to find them? Same with TV appearances.

Having their own sections in the forum is normally fine, but for times like this where there's so much going on, it'd be nice to have all the action together in one section. Just my opinion.
    Agreed. The subforums do not get alot of traffic and this is the biggest thing in Garth's world right now. IMO, the only topic that should be separated from the main forum is the Tour.

Quote Originally Posted by CBooUF View Post
    Agreed. The subforums do not get alot of traffic and this is the biggest thing in Garth's world right now. IMO, the only topic that should be separated from the main forum is the Tour.
    Yup, if there were 10 new topics a day maybe, but there's not so it'd be so much easier to keep it on one page.

Thanks for the great reviews! Y'all got me even more excited to hear this thing.

I'm still trying to nail down what it is about the production that is bothering me. I've had a chance to listen to both Gunslinger and the new Christmas Album in my car this morning.

I think I have an issue with vocal clarity. 8 don't know if it is Garth, Mark Miller, or something in between. I lose text when he drops down, and it isn't crisp up top. There are places in most songs where I don't hear it, but the only track where I don't hear it at all is "What I'm Thankful For" (the duet with James Taylor).

Thanks for your reviews of the new album. Just a reminder to keep the dissection of the lyrics to 8teen in the spoiler thread.

As for keeping all the threads in the Main Forum, as I mentioned in another thread, the icon is "lit" when there are new posts in a Forum; and the purpose of the separate Forums was to keep the topics organized. However, we'll take your suggestions for moving everything for now to the Main Forum under advisement.

Paula

Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

In the USA, the best country in the world
    Ok, going to give my ‘as it goes’ impressions/review of Gunslinger… have NOT read any other reviews out there..

for what it’s worth:

1- Honky Tonk somewhere (2:25)- I like it!! It’s definitely a throwback type of song, to the earlier 90’s… Don’t know if the phrase ‘honky tonk’ is AS relevant any more, at least not in my area of the country- yet the song, while seeming to (at the very first ) to rush things, really settled in quick to a nice, fast swing tune.. kinda short.. radio friendly timeframe

2- Weekend - RADIO.. (2:41) That’s the first word that came to mind when listening to this song… It’ll be a single- or at least it should, given the current climate of radio… it has (at least at first listen) a kenny chesney/luke bryan/bro country /party type of vibe… It’s not bad… will take a bit to grow on me. radio friendly timeframe

3- Ask Me How I Know (3:34) - not bad.. Driving rhythm… don’t know if it’s radio friendly.. don’t totally know how to feel about this song yet.. seems to be yelling a bit (or straining JUST a bit) on the higher notes.. not a bad song.. (kinda of almost has a MAM vibe for me at first listen)

4- Baby Lets Lay Down and Dance (3:11) - definitely know this one.. I didn’t like the tone of the song at first I will admit- I like the rhythm, the guitar, the beat, all of that- it was the well, morality that got me a bit the wrong way.. Yet, I’ve listened to it umpteen dozen times and it’s def. infectious.. I like it- mountains better than what was released for radio from MAM as a lead single (even though I like PLP as a song- a comeback shouldn’t go out of the gates with a message song.) . a Good song, with my favorite Chord walk down (G - D/F# - Em) in the chorus… love the line (when it comes to love my heart is black and it’s blue..) like the longer instrumental “beatdown” section… ONLY thing I can’t stand (as a teacher I guess..) the “I gots to tell you” on the last part of the song- I know it should/could be I GOT to tell you but it’s a bit of a n Aggh moment when I hear it

5- He Really Loves You (4:01) - not a downer at all, for the first ballad/slower song on the album… but def. the first real KICK of emotion…. at first it had a waltz feel, then switched to a march type of feel.. then a powerful emotional kick again… it’s reminding me of a few other garth songs… I think (at first listen) A bit of the storm and thicker than blood (don’t know why)… and maybe mr midnight. that may change…

6- Whiskey to Wine (4:13) - I know we’ve heard part of this before from Inside Studio G… It’s not bad.. I’m not always a huge fan of Garth and Trisha Duets.. They are somewhat hit and miss with me sometimes. This definitely harkens back to the duets of the past though- .. Also has parts that sound like songs from No Fences (New way to fly I think is what’s hitting me as the song the chorus is echoing a bit tone wise) as far as ‘duets’ go with Garth and Trisha… this is definitely one of the better ones to me… not to mention, I like the waltz (3/4) beat….

7- Bang! Bang! (3:10) - The Party kicks back into session.. FIRST impression of the start of the song- not too keen on it- reminded me of the south park episode ‘finger bang’. Going to be a good crowd pleaser/sing along song though… or it could… (can see the house lights being brought up or spotlights being used for the ‘bang bang’ part… hmmm…. the only part that’s corny to me is the ‘bang bang’ line… I don’t MIND the song, but it’s kinda the weak point for me on the album right now.. I can see Garth trying to put this as a single - think it might be a mistake (at first listen)

8- Pure Adrenaline (3:49) - Nice to finally hear the whole thing and not an abbreviated CBS football version… could be a concert opener…. sounds like it would meld nicely into RODEO like they did with MAM on this tour… a good workout song.. Lots of energy.. Definitely kicked things back up (and an appropriate song title… I can sort of see line dancing but it’d be fast.. this one will def be heading to my workout mix.. (would go on the Crank it up collection I think, if on the boxed set..) I can see them trying this as a single…

9- 8teen (4:49) - lol my computer imported it as Steen. I have to change that .. love the acoustic opening…. . has the slightest sounds of ‘alison miranda ‘ to me. I like it- this is the song that’s gonna be digested right? the one with all the clues? I don’t know if it’s a single for me, but its’ a good song.. maybe with a few hints of ‘she’s tired of boys’ too- but would have to look more closely at the lyrics first… (that middle part- interesting- in a billy joel pop type of way…) (weird)…

10- Sugarcane - (3:15) - a fun song.. kinda dorky at first listen.. kinda all over the place at first listen, though its’ also going to have a place on a workout playlist- the driving beat at times.. I get a ‘whirlpool’ type of vibe…it swirls….

11- Cowboys and Friends (3:14) - DEF a cowboy vibe… (and that was before I wrote the title down..) Not a bad song.. chuckled at the line about the beer ‘being breakfast’.. I can hear a decent live version of this song coming out… or an acoustic version.. not the STRONGEST cowboy song Garth’s had ,but dare I say it better than Rodeo or Juliet. almost has a sped up ‘heroes and friends’ vibe in small parts.. ..

12- FILP (25 anniversary edition) - (4:20) - hmm.. After hearing the sample, I couldn’t wait to hear this song- George Strait sounded incredible in his part. I’m honestly going to have to listen to it a lot more.. It’s not GRABBING me the same way Garth’s solo effort on the song did- my first impression was that it’d be a better garth/George duet.. I know the party atmosphere is there, and I know my bias against Jason Aldean/FGL/Keith Urban may be at play, but I was hoping for a bit more.. George seems to be straining a bit later in the song too. That’s only first listen though- I’m sure it’ll change in feeling for me..

I can’t wait to listen through the album again.. on the whole? I like it- it has a looser feel, a more ‘party’ or ‘summer’ type of feel. Not as heavy or message laden as MAM. I think it’ll do better radio wise. don’t know how well it’ll do commercially but it’s too early to tell. Well worth the purchase though…

GO GARTH
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

Enjoying the album so far! Favorites are Weekend, Lay Down and Dance, He Really Loves You, and Eighteen. If Weekend isn't the next single I'll eat my hat.

On the other hand, Bang Bang is easily the most annoying and possibly the worst thing Garth's ever recorded imo. Ugh, just hated it.

I wanted to be fair. I wasn't going to purchase, but the wife did and I wound up listening to it as she played through it. First listen, I only liked one song. So I listened to it a few more times, and a couple others have grown a bit on me. Overall, It's my least favorite album. That doesn't mean I necessarily think it is a horrible abomination, but, if I were making a playlist there would be very, very few songs off this album I would include. For me it just sounds like it is trying too much. Same issue I had with the parts of 'Machine' I didn't care for. I also am not a fan of the way the vocals are mixed and sound in my ears. I do think this will be a far bigger hit with radio and 'the public' than Machine was, which is a shame as I feel Machine had a few more stronger songs.

I know they are married, and they are happy, but I am a little tired of Trisha at this point. I could just do with a little bit less. She is on every album, ever, of his but it seems like I'm hearing her more and more and more in Machine and Gunslinger. It's like I never need to listen to any of her stuff, I can just put on a new Garth disc and hear her. There are times they just DON'T sound good together to me, and I'm not sure if it is actually the case or if it is over saturation of the two of them together that is getting me.

I also miss the old, sad Garth. I know, it's horrible to say and pretty selfish - but I feel the art was far better when he had something he was struggling with. It felt like there was some struggle on Machine, of getting back in the game. On this one....it doesn't feel like the same struggle is there. It could be the song choices or the production, but I just don't feel it throughout the whole album.

ALL THAT SAID..... I'll still rate this album better than everything else out there on the radio. On my Garth scale though, it's down at the bottom. A solid 3/5.

Honky-Tonk should be a single, it's pretty radio friendly. I like it more than Weekend - which will probably be a big hit - a song that I find incredibly boring lyrically and cookie-cutter to the rest of current radio. Both will be huge if they get air time.

Ask Me How I Know is absolutely my favorite song on the album. It should've been on Machine. It has that feel, and it has the emotion I'm looking for on my Garth records. This is easily in my top 20 Garth songs, if not higher. Can't praise this song enough. Too bad the 'First Edition' didn't come with lyrics and songwriting credits.

Baby Let's Dance, I still am not the biggest fan of. I will say that in the context of the album (and hearing the album cut vs the radio edit) I do like it more. It's one of the better songs on the album for me actually.

He Really Loves You. I love the idea of this song. I really applaud the attempt to create something different. It just doesn't mesh well for me. There is something in the tempo change that turns me off, and I hate that because I otherwise would love this song. I'm hoping this gets some kind of live/acoustic treatment somewhere that I can hear and appreciate more.

Whiskey To Wine. I don't like it. I think they sound horrible together, even hated the Ryman version. I get the premise of the story, and it's something I normally would gravitate to, but I just don't like it. Easy skip every single time.

Bang!Bang!. Another easy skip every time. Easily the second worst song ever on a Garth Brooks album. The music and story are fun - but the 'Bang Bang' in the background the WHOLE SONG kill it for me. The only song I have ever hated more was 'Fish' off of the last record.

Pure Adrenaline. I like this song, possibly my second favorite as I can think of how it would go live. I wish it actually had more punch though. I've listened through a couple different systems, but I'm getting treble heavy on it. I want more punch. Will never be a radio hit, will never be a single (wisely), but could be an amazingly fun live song. I don't think it would be an opener though - I'd prefer it in the spot where 'The Fever' used to go.

8teen. Wow. I get a lot of the references.....and yet I find this song so boring. Another one of those that sounds like someone was trying too hard to write. It also suffers the same fate as some of the rest on the album - poor vocal mixing. I had to listen multiple times to even understand lyrics in spots. Never had to do that on Garth albums before Machine. This is one of the ones that was hyped up and I was excited for, that really fell flat for me - and again had a cookie-cutter sound. It almost sounds like a wanna-be Taylor Swift song. It even started out great....but quickly lost my interest.

SugarCane. I can see why this was left off Machine. Not only wouldn't have fit on that album, it sounds a lot better after they went back and re-wrote it to create Pure Adrenaline. This song is a complete throw away for me. It sounds like one of those songs that you start with at the beginning of production just to knock the rust off playing and songwriting, that gets tossed once you get serious making an album.

Cowboys and Friends. The one 'cowboy' song on the album, is also another snooze fest for me. Once again, I find the story decent but the music and presentation is so bland that I don't want to continue listening. Easy skip for me.

FILP - This is a joke. Not only including FLA GA Line, a slap in the face to anyone who respects music at all, but the whole thing sounds like a mess of a karaoke session. You could've just had George Strait cover this song, and it would've been amazing. Leave GB in as harmony vocals. The way this is presented though, is just like anything else Garth has done - Overhyped and under delivered. Not worth the price of the box set for this song.

To me this album is not worth the price of the box set - because really, that's why anyone bought the box set. To listen to this 2 weeks early and get the 'bonus' tracks. That privilege, and those 2 tracks were not worth double the cost of the standalone album. Especially when you don't even get a case just for this album, and a lyric/songwriters credit booklet isn't included. This was a great way to give songwriters on previous albums some change from sales of their songs (look at the 'duplicates in the box on the mix discs even) while getting 'fans' to increase total albums sales for him. Possibly even sell more copies of this album, due to the attraction of the 'other' stuff in the box. To make it less of a sales disappointment than Machine was. The problem for me - this album isn't half the quality of Machine.

But, that's my opinion. I'm glad that others really dig it though - as that will keep him making records :-)

Agree with review above. The vocal mixes are terrible since Mark Miller became the producer. I miss Allen Reynolds a lot. There are 3-4 songs on here that should never have seen the light of day. The balance ranges from good to very good.

I wish I owned a CD player.......Amazon won't let you download until November 25th. Maybe one day Garth will enter the 21st century and how music is consumed now.

Quote Originally Posted by jdl535 View Post
    I wish I owned a CD player.......Amazon won't let you download until November 25th. Maybe one day Garth will enter the 21st century and how music is consumed now.
    That's because the album is only available now through the boxset at Target. The release date everywhere else is the 25th.

I'm with the rest of y'all as I think Gunslinger should have been in it's own case and with liner notes and lyrics but I will get a copy of the stand alone Target version too
    When we're free to love anyone we choose, when this world's big enough for all different views When we all can worship from our own kind of pew, then we shall be free

I really loved this album. After a few listens, I *think* it's my fourth favorite Garth album behind No Fences, In Pieces, and Ropin the Wind. I agree with others that some of the vocal production is lacking. He sounds great, but some of the words are lost in the production. Other than that, I really enjoyed it and I think the first half of the album is as strong as any he has ever put out other than the incomparable No Fences. One thing I will say about Garth, he has never released an album that is a clone of another. His belief in himself to continually take chances and be the artist he sees himself as is still remarkable.

To offer a little different review, here's my rankings of my top choices for singles.

1. Baby, Let's Lay Down and Dance - I really believe this was the best choice for the lead single. It sets the tone for the feeling of the album perfectly. 3 minutes of fun!

2. Ask Me How I Know - I had high expectations for this song since Garth let it slip that it would likely be the next single. I was blown away. It feels like something Sam Hunt or Dierks Bentley would release while still remaining true to the side of Garth that releases a song like More Than a Memory. I find this stunning and I feel confident in saying it is one of my favorite Garth songs of all time.

3. Weekend - Like Baby, Let's Lay Down and Dance, this one is pure fun. It has summer hit written all over it.

4. Honky-tonk Somewhere - I debated putting this at #1 and yet it falls down to 4. The reason for that is I'm not sure radio is ready to play a pure 90's song like this. If this was 1995, this one would run up the charts to #1 in a heartbeat.

5. Pure Adrenaline - Pure Adrenaline jams so hard! This is another one that I think would've been a huge hit in the 90's and Garth might've been called a satanist by some for releasing it to country radio lol. It kind of sounds like some of the power country that Aldean or Eric Church would release mixed with some Aerosmith. I'll never skip this one when it comes on.

6. Whiskey to Wine - Since I first heard it I've thought about how much it fits Chris Stapleton and his wife so much and that's a great thing. I'm not sure it's a radio hit, but it'd stand a chance.

7. Cowboys and Friends - George Strait could've made this a #1 hit in the 80's. Unfortunately, todays radio would mostly ignore it. Really nice song.

8. He Really Loves You - I'd be lying if I said this didn't make me emotional on the first (second and third) listen. I find this song to be terrific, but it will be one I skip the most because of the subject matter. There's a chance this could surprise if sent to radio, but it'd be risky. For the second time this album, it reminds me of a Dierks Bentley song.

9. 8teen - I see very little chance of this being a single. This one is just okay for me. I don't really understand a lot of it and I guess that's the point!

10. Bang! Bang! - This one is...weird. I don't like the constant "bang bang". I enjoy the story, but I can't get past the weird melody and bangs. This would be an absolute disaster if sent to radio lol.

Overall: I think this album has 4-5 hits in it if radio proves they are willing to buy into Garth again. A lot hinges on BLLDAD climbing the charts in the next couple of months.

I plan to do a song by song review like others are doing, but after listening to it a couple times - my early review is that Gunslinger is a major improvement from MAM. This one flows better, it sounds more Garth AND modern. Not every song lands, but I think it has more hits than misses.

Okay, here goes m two cents which is probably only worth one cent.

I'm approaching this thing trying to be objective.

As I drove 500 miles in my rig last night, I listened to the entire album about 7 times.

In my opinion, this is easily the worst album he's ever made. Easily. The whole "most Garth thing" is a bunch of BS. That being said, there are some real highlights here.

I'm not going to break it down song by song like some of my better peers in the community, but to me the highlights include Honky Tonk Somewhere, Whiskey to Wine, Cowboys and Friends and Baby, Let's Lay Down and Dance. That's it.

Ask Me How I Know, Pure Adrenaline, Bang! Bang! and Sugarcane are probably the worst four songs in his entire catalog. I don't like them at all. I dare say the word "sucks"

Weekend, He Really Loves You and 8Teen feel like fillers that grew on me throughout the night due to listening to it seven times.

This album feels like an overall mess for me. After 26 years, it could just be me, who knows. This album certainly seems to be made to fit in with today's musical format and that's fine and I get it. I'm just really disappointed is all. But this is not "the most Garth thing" but more like the "least Garth thing". So there's my humble opinion. I'm really glad that so many of you are enjoying the album though.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBarton View Post
    Okay, here goes m two cents which is probably only worth one cent.

I'm approaching this thing trying to be objective.

As I drove 500 miles in my rig last night, I listened to the entire album about 7 times.

In my opinion, this is easily the worst album he's ever made. Easily. The whole "most Garth thing" is a bunch of BS. That being said, there are some real highlights here.
    before I say anything, Charlie- one thing... don't ever apologize for your thoughts about Garth or something he's done.. (i.e. your 2 cents only being worth 1).. It's not as bad as it used to be, certainly, but there are some who may disagree with your assessments or thoughts and try to tear them down, because they can't stand the fact that Garth may be criticized.. don't stop.. IF you are not liking something- be objective.. fans come in many different shapes/sizes and it's not one type who's a 'real fan' kinda thing.. j just saying..

I'm not going to break it down song by song like some of my better peers in the community, but to me the highlights include Honky Tonk Somewhere, Whiskey to Wine, Cowboys and Friends and Baby, Let's Lay Down and Dance. That's it.
    at first listen, I agree, those were good songs..

This album certainly seems to be made to fit in with today's musical format and that's fine and I get it.
    I think Garth's in a bit of a quest to 'be relevant' again, to the younger crowd...it's not working fully I'd wager

I'm just really disappointed is all. But this is not "the most Garth thing" but more like the "least Garth thing". So there's my humble opinion. I'm really glad that so many of you are enjoying the album though.
    thanks for sharing your thought(s)!

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

Charlie, that's the cool thing about being a Garth fan. He is such a versatile artist able to adapt to so many different sounds. The songs you listed as your least favorites were, in fact, my favorites along with Weekend. I think a lot of it depends on which side of Garth you most prefer. I happen to think the Chris Gaines album and In Pieces are his best albums. Anything that gets closer to those sounds is what I look for in new albums.

For me, my least favorite songs are Cowboys and Friends and the remake of FILP. My favorites are Bang Bang, Weekend, Sugarcane, He Really Loves You and Whiskey to Wine.

Like Skywise said, don't feel bad about expressing your opinion. Music enjoyment is quite subjective.

Last night after listening to He Really Loves You over and over I realized how great of a song it is. Definitely my favorite on this album.

After listening to it a couple times, it has grown on me some, and I suspect it will continue to grow on me like MAM did. Right now, I'm of the opinion that Garth has to get a better producer. I know Garth loves Mark Miller, but he is not what Garth needs. He is no good for Garth. The album is not mixed well (too bassy and vocals are not clear) and Garth's vocals are horribly produced. Maybe some of it has to do with Garth trying to sing differently, but even if so, the vocals are not produced like they should be. They are lacking the power we all used to love in Garth's voice. It just sounds too pop now. He needs to find a country producer...... Mark Miller is not one.
    And the FILP remake........ that should have never seen the light of day. Butchering of a great song.

I love ASK ME HOW I KNOW. We all have our opinion. For me, mho, it's my stand out track. I think FILP25 should have had a little less FGL. I'm not hating on them, but it feels they had more air time than the other artist, on the first few listens. I would've been happy with replacing Whiskey To Wine or Bang Bang with The Call.

All and all, it's going to be a fun road trip/driving album.

After digesting the album for a few days, I am still really liking it overall. Very fun and upbeat. I'm holding firm that I think it's most similar to Fresh Horses.

My favorite song by far is Honkytonk Somewhere. Other standouts are He Really Loves You, Weekend, and Whiskey to Wine (although I still prefer the Ryman version). Surprisingly, the song that has grown on me the most and that I have really come to love is Bang Bang. When I first heard it I almost hated it, but now I really enjoy how original it is in both its structure and Garth's vocal delivery. It does so many things that are unexpected. Anyway, it's now a highlight for me.

Ask Me How I Know is good middle of the road Garth, as is Pure Adrenaline, Cowboys & Friends, and Sugarcane (although I would say Sugarcane is the least memorable of the bunch).

The biggest disappointment for me is 8teen. It's a fine song and all, but he hyped it up so much that I think my expectations were a little too high. I also can't understand half the lyrics. So maybe I'll enjoy it more when I get the standard edition and can finally read what he's saying.

Finally, I agree with others that FILP25 is just okay. Too many guests. Should have been just Garth and George. If this song is the one thing that's making someone consider buying the box, then I would say save your money and just get the Target standalone which will probably still have Sugarcane. Just my 2 cents though.

Ok, so correct me if I'm wrong...but is the Gunslinger booklet just a slip of paper?

Quote Originally Posted by jturtels View Post
    Ok, so correct me if I'm wrong...but is the Gunslinger booklet just a slip of paper?
    Yes, for the version included in the boxed set. Assume the standalone version that will be released on November 25 will have the usual booklet with liner notes and credits.

Paula

Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

Ok, for those of you who did the boxed set, is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by jturtels View Post
    Ok, for those of you who did the boxed set, is it worth it?
    hmm- for me? it's kinda a hard question to answer.. I know I've railed against the re-hash and re releases.... still, I'm always gonna collect at least one of what Garth does... so, is it worth it?

ehh- I'll say yes.. nice to have Garth's new album before regular outlets get it... 1982.. Garth KILLS IT on that cover.. the live stuff? ehh heard it before.. some questionable inclusions, but overall yeah it's worth it

I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

The GarthCast

+ Reply to Thread