+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 38

Thread: *SPOILER ALERT* - Dissection of 8teen (Eighteen) on Gunslinger

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    7,274

    *SPOILER ALERT* - Dissection of 8teen (Eighteen) on Gunslinger

    I was going to wait and post this on November 11 when the boxed set was officially released; but because some of my friends have heard they would be getting their copies today, I wanted to put this up now. There may be some of us who want to attempt to decipher the lyrics on our own, at least for a little while (*raising her hand*).

    In the October 17 session of Inside Studio G, Garth made this comment about the song 8teen (or Eighteen):

    "The reason why you guys will like it is because it's got eighteen billion clues about what it means at the end. It's going to be one of those that you can pull apart every syllable and start digging in. It's just going to be a fun Garth thing for anyone that likes Garth music."

    If you want to figure out the “hidden” clues on your own, then don’t read any further. For those who want to compare notes and discuss the clues you discover, this is where you can do that. Let the scavenger hunt begin!

    Paula

    Listen not to the critics
    Who put their own dreams on the shelf
    ~ How You Ever Gonna Know ~
    Kent Blazy/Garth Brooks

  2. #2
    I would bet anything the lyrics "Push Marie" will be in the song.

  3. #3
    I hope the lines in the song are really obscure, that only the real real real die hard fans of garth would know.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    682
    Am i getting some references to some of his previous songs in this 8teen song?

    - the thunder rolls
    - aint going down to the sun comes up (the ride they took was to the rodeo)
    - the beaches of Cheyenne (he sang about the letter they found by his bedside)

    I'm not sure how everything is adding up to eighteen though. I haven't figured that bit out.

  5. #5
    Have you got the album fever?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,362
    Can someone who has it please post the lyrics?

  7. #7
    18 year touring gap? just a thought….
    Matt
    "Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire"-GB

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    398
    1962 adds up to 18 as well. 1+9+6+2

  9. #9

    Spoilers!!

    So here are the parts I have been able to figure out so far:

    "Oh, we took Ventura Highway to the sunshine state" - a reference to the band America and the band's song "Ventura Highway"

    "Oh, and every day when spend there was Valentine's Day
    -Garth simply saying that the time in Florida that he spend was nothin' but love everyday.

    "Oh, and the girl made in Japan was made for me to hold" - a reference to the Buck Owen's song "Girl Made in Japan"

    "When Vincent lent an ear the night the thunder rolled"
    - a reference to Vincent Van Gogh who famously cut his his ear off (lent an ear), and also the subject of a Don McLean "Vincent (Starry, Starry Night) which Garth has covered many times

    "We heard about the letters he kept beside his bed, how he never could forget her or the words she said, that will forever be enshrined and underlined in red"

    -A reference to the "the greatest country song ever written" in Garth's opinion "He Stopped Lovin' Her Today" By George Jones. It refers to the lyric "he had underlined in red every single "I love you" and also saying that George Jones will forever be enshrined as the King with this song.

    "And he rode that silver bullet cross the borderline" -
    -A reference to Bob Seger and his Silver Bullet Band

    "and the song he hummed that NIGHT MOVES me every time"
    -Another reference to Bob Seger and his song "Night Moves" which Garth regularly covers.

    "Ever frozen now in time, the night the miracle occurred"
    -A reference to the iconic Miracle On Ice game that happened on ‎February 22, 1980...Garth would've been 18 when this happened.

    "Once a marine...met a Colleen"- a tribute to his father who was a marine, and his mother Colleen Carroll Brooks.

    This is what I have gotten so far.
    ...I have a few other hunches that maybe you guys can help solidify on some other lyrics, but I'm uncertain so I dont wanna say thats what it is.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by ManAgnstMachine View Post
    So here are the parts I have been able to figure out so far:

    This is what I have gotten so far.
    ...I have a few other hunches that maybe you guys can help solidify on some other lyrics, but I'm uncertain so I dont wanna say thats what it is.
    "Where they raised their hands to Jesus as they passed the plate" -
    A reference to baseball players pointing at God crossing home plate, which explains the reference to the Sunshine State (Florida) in the 1st line, as Garth spent time playing spring training baseball in Florida.

    "There's a new team, out in Queens.."
    -another reference to his time playing spring training baseball with the New York Mets, whose home stadium is in Queens, NY

    "They walked on water in my mind, JC and Uncle Herb, though they never heard the words.."
    -Another Miracle On Ice reference. The hockey team skated angelically on the ice i.e "walking on water." "JC" is referring to the starting goalie "Jim Craig" from the US team, and Uncle Herb is the head coach Herb Brooks. Though they never heard the words refers to the fact that they didn't hear the infamous line Do You Believe In Miracles? because they were on the ice in the middle of the game.

    ....and maybe the "8" is prevalently noted in the titled "8teen" is because of Garth's immediate family having 8 members: His parents (Troyal Raymond and Colleen), 4 siblings from his parents first marriages
    (Jim, Jerry, Mike, and Betsy) and himself and Kelly from his parents marriage.


    The one I'm unsure about is "under the maple leaves inside a Memphis night."-
    Does anyone know if Garth traveled to Memphis to see Bob Seger for the 1st time?
    Last edited by ManAgnstMachine; 11-15-2016 at 10:09 AM. Reason: additions to post

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ManAgnstMachine View Post

    "Oh, we took Ventura Highway to the sunshine state" - a reference to the band America and the band's song "Ventura Highway"

    "Oh, and every day when spend there was Valentine's Day"
    -Garth simply saying that the time in Florida that he spend was nothin' but love everyday.
    So...I might be a tad obsessed with figuring this out. lol

    But i needed to amend my 1st post because I missed the obvious connection with the whole 1st verse being about baseball,

    "Oh, we took Ventura Highway to the sunshine state" is NOT about the band America, although it could be a double reference.. but "Ventura Highway is referring to the New York Mets 3B Robin Ventura, who Garth played with in 2000 during spring training in the Sunshine State.

    and..
    "Oh, and every day when spend there was Valentine's Day" is referring to the manager of that team, Bobby Valentine.
    Everyday we spent their was Bobby Valentine's because he had control of the team as manager...

    This is actually kind of a cool way of mentioning that.

    Blown away by how he worded all this. Reminds me SO much of the way "American Pie" was written,

  12. #12
    I feel like this song is showing me I'm not quite the fan i thought i was lol. You guys are so good at this!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NJ (My heart belongs in Indy!)
    Posts
    156
    I feel like the worst fan in the world! I did get the Silver Bullet and Night Moves reference. Also, thunder rolling.
    You know failure isn't failure
    If a lesson from it's learned

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ManAgnstMachine View Post
    So...I might be a tad obsessed with figuring this out. lol

    But i needed to amend my 1st post because I missed the obvious connection with the whole 1st verse being about baseball,

    "Oh, we took Ventura Highway to the sunshine state" is NOT about the band America, although it could be a double reference.. but "Ventura Highway is referring to the New York Mets 3B Robin Ventura, who Garth played with in 2000 during spring training in the Sunshine State.

    and..
    "Oh, and every day when spend there was Valentine's Day" is referring to the manager of that team, Bobby Valentine.
    Everyday we spent their was Bobby Valentine's because he had control of the team as manager...

    This is actually kind of a cool way of mentioning that.

    Blown away by how he worded all this. Reminds me SO much of the way "American Pie" was written,
    It's notable that Robin Ventura played at Oklahoma State from 1985-1988.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 1999
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    779
    I think these lines ---

    And the girl made in Japan
    Was made for me to hold

    Refer to his guitar and not the Buck Owens song. That or it has a double meaning.
    "Nobody has a more sacred obligation to obey the law than those who make the law." --- Sophocles

  16. #16
    He was off for 18 years before making the comeback.... or all of this happened in his first 18 years and has molded him to what he is today
    Last edited by patszzz0915; 11-16-2016 at 11:40 AM.

  17. #17
    I think the song is dedicated to his family and how none of the experiences and God's gifts would have happened if his dad and mom had not met. (playing pro baseball, his career and relationship with fans, enjoying Jones with his dad, enjoying Seger with his friends, watching USA win hockey gold with his brothers). I think "8teen" is an inside reference only his family would know.
    Last edited by CBooUF; 11-16-2016 at 11:40 AM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,362
    Quote Originally Posted by CBooUF View Post
    I think the song is dedicated to his family and how none of the experiences and God's gifts would have happened if his dad and mom had not met. (playing pro baseball, his career and relationship with fans, enjoying Jones with his dad, enjoying Seger with his friends, watching USA win hockey gold with his brothers). I think "8teen" is an inside reference only his family would know.
    That is incredibly insightful, and I think you nailed it.

    Btw... has anyone typed out all the lyrics yet?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by shmlss4gb View Post
    I think these lines ---

    And the girl made in Japan
    Was made for me to hold

    Refer to his guitar and not the Buck Owens song. That or it has a double meaning.
    I believe this is probably correct with his Takamine guitar absolutely being made in Japan for him to "hold," but he does look up to Buck Owens alot too..so a double meaning is likely the case.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Isle View Post
    That is incredibly insightful, and I think you nailed it.

    Btw... has anyone typed out all the lyrics yet?
    I have them fully typed out. Moderators, is it acceptable that I post the full song lyrics in this thread?

  21. #21
    Am I the only one not hearing the "once a marine" line?

  22. #22
    There is a guy who did a cover of this song on Youtube already. Just search 8teen Garth Brooks cover and then sort by upload date. It'll be the first listing. Hardly the same as hearing the real thing but you can at least get a glimpse of the lyrics.

    I'd post it here directly but I don't know if that's allowed or not so I won't for now.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2sprint View Post
    There is a guy who did a cover of this song on Youtube already. Just search 8teen Garth Brooks cover and then sort by upload date. It'll be the first listing. Hardly the same as hearing the real thing but you can at least get a glimpse of the lyrics.

    I'd post it here directly but I don't know if that's allowed or not so I won't for now.
    That's my cover lol

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by ManAgnstMachine View Post
    "There's a new team, out in Queens.."
    -another reference to his time playing spring training baseball with the New York Mets, whose home stadium is in Queens, NY
    And the Mets' first regular season was in 1962, the year Garth was born.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by ManAgnstMachine View Post
    That's my cover lol
    That's funny... small world!

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Beautiful Oregon..
    Posts
    4,867
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2sprint View Post
    There is a guy who did a cover of this song on Youtube already. Just search 8teen Garth Brooks cover and then sort by upload date. It'll be the first listing. Hardly the same as hearing the real thing but you can at least get a glimpse of the lyrics.

    I'd post it here directly but I don't know if that's allowed or not so I won't for now.
    Feel free to post it!

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    In the USA, the best country in the world
    Posts
    6,645
    Jim's covers of Garth songs are awesome- here's the "gunslinger" covers so far

    Weekend - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibT9vNuCrpM

    Ask Me How I know - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aeZJs7_oNM

    Baby Let's Lay Down and Dance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9mr0qvEb2Q

    And, to keep the post relevant to this thread.. Here's 8Teen

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6XsgQxOwvQ

    Jim's username here on PG is ManAgainstMachine
    An objective Garth fan, with my own views...

    I have a purpose
    Made in His image
    Accepted by Him
    Given new life in Christ
    Eternity with Him

    My collection of all things Garth....
    The GarthCast

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    398
    I believe the same, it is about his guitar. I think it goes with the next line, which I interpret as G talking about playing with Don McLean at Central Park. Also, the end of the verse to me sounds like he sings 'Big Dreams, Six Strings, 8teen' - again about his guitar.

    could the line of 'The ride we took together was a rodeo' refer to when Chris LeDoux showed up at G's concert during Cheyenne Frontier Days in 96? G always wore the buckle from that years rodeo, the 100th anniversary, until he switched to his new Diamond 7 buckle.

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAgnstMachine View Post
    I believe this is probably correct with his Takamine guitar absolutely being made in Japan for him to "hold," but he does look up to Buck Owens alot too..so a double meaning is likely the case.

  29. #29
    I was thinking over the weekend about the chorus lines "Know that each will teach a passage through the Trinity, God’s gifts runneth o’er my cup, Call it a blessing or you call it luck" could be about his 3 girls as well? His girls could have been exactly what he needed at that point in his life to calm him down.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    A small town within the big city
    Posts
    1,947
    The Trinity is also an ancient Irish belief, passed through the Celtic people of the balance of earth, water and people; it was usurped by early Christians to convert them to Catholicism.
    "Grace is when God gives us what we don't deserve and mercy is when God doesn't give us what we do deserve" - Dan Roberts

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts